Question About Pit Bulls (former fighting dog)

You guys are good peeps for doing what you're doing right now. Not a lot of people would do anything for it if they were in your situation. The dog deserves a better life, he will reward you with an unyielding love in return.

You guys are good peeps for doing what you're doing right now. Not a lot of people would do anything for it if they were in your situation. The dog deserves a better life, he will reward you with an unyielding love in return.

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

Originally Posted by MHT214

Nice dog. Breed it. 
I dont know about keeping it. Without knowing the history of the dog its tough to have it around people...

For what? So the streets can have more homeless Pits running around and ending up being put to sleep? Pits are the most overbred dog and it's due to stupidity. Whenever someone sees my Pit they ask if I'm gonna breed her or if I want to. Why, to make a couple dollars and to put half of the pups down? It's not worth it, if you have a Pit fix it and leave it at that. 
thank you! there is no point in buying a dog from a breeder unless you are going to enter a show of some sort. there are MILLIONS of dogs put to sleep every year because of overcrowded adoption centers and humane societies. I commend OP for taking this dog in and giving it a home. MY sister adopted a pit mix that was found in an alley in nyc. It is the sweetest dog I have ever played with. Also, they do require a lot of exercise. I would recommend getting a harness instead of a choker. Pitbulls love pulling, and it doesnt hurt them.  . if you like rollerblading...
happy.gif

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

Originally Posted by MHT214

Nice dog. Breed it. 
I dont know about keeping it. Without knowing the history of the dog its tough to have it around people...

For what? So the streets can have more homeless Pits running around and ending up being put to sleep? Pits are the most overbred dog and it's due to stupidity. Whenever someone sees my Pit they ask if I'm gonna breed her or if I want to. Why, to make a couple dollars and to put half of the pups down? It's not worth it, if you have a Pit fix it and leave it at that. 
thank you! there is no point in buying a dog from a breeder unless you are going to enter a show of some sort. there are MILLIONS of dogs put to sleep every year because of overcrowded adoption centers and humane societies. I commend OP for taking this dog in and giving it a home. MY sister adopted a pit mix that was found in an alley in nyc. It is the sweetest dog I have ever played with. Also, they do require a lot of exercise. I would recommend getting a harness instead of a choker. Pitbulls love pulling, and it doesnt hurt them.  . if you like rollerblading...
happy.gif

breaks my heart to see all those scars...disgusting that people would put a dog through that. mad respect to you for taking the dog in

breaks my heart to see all those scars...disgusting that people would put a dog through that. mad respect to you for taking the dog in

Here's the advice I received from the deputy manager of the End Dogfighting Campaign:

A couple pieces of advice I would love you to relay:

1.       Dog aggression does NOT equate to human aggression. Pit bulls were bred to fight other dogs, but also be gentle and loyal with people as most of the first fighting dogs lived with the family as pets. Dogs can tell the difference between humans and other dogs, and aggression does not translate. They may have to worry about him being around other dogs (or small animals), but generally pit bulls are extremely people friendly. Personally, I’ve met grand champion fighting dogs on raids who were bred to tear apart another dog but wiggled with joy when I approached and showered me with kisses. Of course, every dog is an individual, but especially with a full grown dog, what you see is what you get. If he’s not aggressive towards the kids now, chances are, he will never be (unless of course, it’s situational – he’s put in a stressful situation, and reacts, but never inherently aggressive). If they have other dogs, I would use caution and get a crate for him asap!

2.       Get the book “Pit Bulls for Dummies.

Here's the advice I received from the deputy manager of the End Dogfighting Campaign:

A couple pieces of advice I would love you to relay:

1.       Dog aggression does NOT equate to human aggression. Pit bulls were bred to fight other dogs, but also be gentle and loyal with people as most of the first fighting dogs lived with the family as pets. Dogs can tell the difference between humans and other dogs, and aggression does not translate. They may have to worry about him being around other dogs (or small animals), but generally pit bulls are extremely people friendly. Personally, I’ve met grand champion fighting dogs on raids who were bred to tear apart another dog but wiggled with joy when I approached and showered me with kisses. Of course, every dog is an individual, but especially with a full grown dog, what you see is what you get. If he’s not aggressive towards the kids now, chances are, he will never be (unless of course, it’s situational – he’s put in a stressful situation, and reacts, but never inherently aggressive). If they have other dogs, I would use caution and get a crate for him asap!

2.       Get the book “Pit Bulls for Dummies.

Didn't ready anyones comments but OP your awesome for doing these wonderful dogs a good deed.

Didn't ready anyones comments but OP your awesome for doing these wonderful dogs a good deed.

If your dog is calm enough to let you touch him and pet him then everything should be ok. I adopted a pomeranian who was abused (owners gave him alcohol, beat him, threw him in the pool, dragged him by his tail, etc.) and he's just vicious towards anyone. He'll come over and put his head in my lap and push my hand to pet him, but then he gets nervous and tries to bite back immediately. I think you'd be pretty safe to adopt him, especially if he's taken to your wife.

If your dog is calm enough to let you touch him and pet him then everything should be ok. I adopted a pomeranian who was abused (owners gave him alcohol, beat him, threw him in the pool, dragged him by his tail, etc.) and he's just vicious towards anyone. He'll come over and put his head in my lap and push my hand to pet him, but then he gets nervous and tries to bite back immediately. I think you'd be pretty safe to adopt him, especially if he's taken to your wife.

Originally Posted by bronxstreets

OP just be careful ....had a simular situation that ended with the pit bull killing another dog

I agree, just be cautious.  A friend of mine took in a pit that had been poorly treated, beaten, etc., and for about a year the pit got along great with her other dog.  One night she came in from work and found the pit waiting at the door with red stains around its mouth, and her other dog (I forget what breed it was) dead on the floor in its own blood.  I think pits are great dogs, but I just think you should be careful with one with that type of history.

Originally Posted by bronxstreets

OP just be careful ....had a simular situation that ended with the pit bull killing another dog

I agree, just be cautious.  A friend of mine took in a pit that had been poorly treated, beaten, etc., and for about a year the pit got along great with her other dog.  One night she came in from work and found the pit waiting at the door with red stains around its mouth, and her other dog (I forget what breed it was) dead on the floor in its own blood.  I think pits are great dogs, but I just think you should be careful with one with that type of history.

I honestly don't know too much about dogs, but I have a Pitt as well and she used to have food aggression when she was younger.  My family and I got her out of that habit, so it can definitely be controlled.  The only concern would be the dog around your kids, but I'm sure you're already cautious of that.  Big props for taking care of the dog and not sending it to the pound 
pimp.gif
.  I wish more people would adopt instead of supporting the breeders...

I honestly don't know too much about dogs, but I have a Pitt as well and she used to have food aggression when she was younger.  My family and I got her out of that habit, so it can definitely be controlled.  The only concern would be the dog around your kids, but I'm sure you're already cautious of that.  Big props for taking care of the dog and not sending it to the pound 
pimp.gif
.  I wish more people would adopt instead of supporting the breeders...

I adopted a Pitbull/Terrier mix from the SPCA 2 years ago in September I believe.  He was clearly abused/a fighter he has permanent scars and major trust issues.  I brought him home to my Yorkie and she kicks his butt.  He is the most loving dog I've ever had and I've had dog(s) all 22 years of my life.  He's fantastic with my 14 month old daughter and the two other dogs in my house.  Every time I take him somewhere someone will ask if he is a Pitbull and then proceed to give me the 
tired.gif
.  Good luck OP 

I adopted a Pitbull/Terrier mix from the SPCA 2 years ago in September I believe.  He was clearly abused/a fighter he has permanent scars and major trust issues.  I brought him home to my Yorkie and she kicks his butt.  He is the most loving dog I've ever had and I've had dog(s) all 22 years of my life.  He's fantastic with my 14 month old daughter and the two other dogs in my house.  Every time I take him somewhere someone will ask if he is a Pitbull and then proceed to give me the 
tired.gif
.  Good luck OP 

Yo OP that's a stand up move. I love pit bulls. Grew up around dog fighting and I'm so ashamed that I wasn't at an age where I could've helped the dogs or prevented people from doing it. I plan on getting one when I graduate.

Back
Top Bottom