Question About Pit Bulls (former fighting dog)

Originally Posted by BeautifulLoveLeal

Originally Posted by thenewjs23

I LOVE Pit Bulls but, I would be very careful with this dog.
He is a ticking time bomb.
You dont know his history besides what can be gather by scars.
You would be STUPID to keep this dog with kids around.
Keep him under look and key cause all it takes is for it to get out and maul some old ladys cat or worse attack somebodies kid.
Then you can kiss life as you know it bye bye.
I say this because I had a friend that fought pits.
He gave an under performing one to my cousin it got out and attacked some lady and her expensive dog in her front lawn.
My cousin got time and has paying like 250K for the ladys dog, the ladys medical bills, her pain and suffering, fines and fees.
I can emagine what would have happen if it was somebodys kid.  
Im sure your friend who got the "under performing" dog didnt exercise all options to ensure its proper rehabilitation. Of course a dog bred and trained to fight is going to have habits and routine that may be hard to break but its not impossible. I have been attacked and bitten dozens of times by other breeds NOT pitbulls and they were not trained to fight. Any pet could be used as a weapon but can also make wonderful companions with proper upbringing, it does take time and effort on the owners part. No breed of dog should be left alone with children unsupervised, children dont know yet the proper rules when handling pets. I blame the parents for not watching their children around an ANIMAL; there are plenty of circumstances that can scare or startle a pet.  

My cousin did not think the resposibilty through. He did spent about a year in jail DA wanted 10. He got off easy criminal court because he showed that he was trying to rehab the dog and it just snapped.

Nice dog. Breed it. 
I dont know about keeping it. Without knowing the history of the dog its tough to have it around people...

Nice dog. Breed it. 
I dont know about keeping it. Without knowing the history of the dog its tough to have it around people...

Originally Posted by Esco51

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

All I'd say is be careful. Had a pit for 4 years since he was six weeks old. He came from a fighting line and was always great around our son and our other dogs except when it came to food. Could never break him of the aggressiveness when it came to the food and ended up having to put him down. Can't have a 60 lb dog that's food aggressive around a young kid, third strike and he was out.

indifferent.gif
You killed a dog because he was protective over his food? And strike 3? You would think after strike 1, you could have atleast take him to the shelter or get him to training school.
No shelters around this way that would take a pit. Trust me I tried. Hardest thing I ever had to do. No matter how hard you train any animal some habits cannot be broken. A kid changes your perspective on things. It was the kid or the dog. Don't get me wrong the fault is all on my shoulders but at the end of the day it was a choice between my child's safety and an animal.

Im with you ESCO. I like dogs but, they cant compete with my seed. All it takes is for you kid to curiously wonder over while he's eating and get attacked

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

All I'd say is be careful. Had a pit for 4 years since he was six weeks old. He came from a fighting line and was always great around our son and our other dogs except when it came to food. Could never break him of the aggressiveness when it came to the food and ended up having to put him down. Can't have a 60 lb dog that's food aggressive around a young kid, third strike and he was out.

indifferent.gif
You killed a dog because he was protective over his food? And strike 3? You would think after strike 1, you could have atleast take him to the shelter or get him to training school.
No shelters around this way that would take a pit. Trust me I tried. Hardest thing I ever had to do. No matter how hard you train any animal some habits cannot be broken. A kid changes your perspective on things. It was the kid or the dog. Don't get me wrong the fault is all on my shoulders but at the end of the day it was a choice between my child's safety and an animal.

Im with you ESCO. I like dogs but, they cant compete with my seed. All it takes is for you kid to curiously wonder over while he's eating and get attacked

It's always heartrending to see pictures like these, but I'm glad you're interested in doing all you can to help him recover.  If you're looking for a hip hop inspired name, Questlove seems pretty appropriate to me given how he found his way into your lives. 
I'll drop one of our friends at the HSUS End Dogfighting Campaign a line and see if they have any insight or recommendations for you guys.

On the other hand. EVERY DOG that Mike Vick had at ranch has been adopted out to loving families, many with children. I remember sports illustrated doing a piece on them back around the time he was in jail. 

Sadly, not every dog seized from Bad Newz Kennelz received that opportunity.   One, numbered 2621, was killed after failing an ASPCA examination, and two died prior to their scheduled transfer to the federal government.  

I found it incredibly disappointing that both PETA and the HSUS recommended that ALL of the Bad Newz Kennels survivors be put down.  Most of you, at least, appear in favor of treating this dog like an individual.  If only all pit bulls were so lucky.

A few years ago, Malcolm Gladwell wrote an interesting article about Pit Bull bans and criminal profiling for the New Yorker that's well worth the read for those interested:  http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/02/06/060206fa_fact

It's always heartrending to see pictures like these, but I'm glad you're interested in doing all you can to help him recover.  If you're looking for a hip hop inspired name, Questlove seems pretty appropriate to me given how he found his way into your lives. 
I'll drop one of our friends at the HSUS End Dogfighting Campaign a line and see if they have any insight or recommendations for you guys.

On the other hand. EVERY DOG that Mike Vick had at ranch has been adopted out to loving families, many with children. I remember sports illustrated doing a piece on them back around the time he was in jail. 

Sadly, not every dog seized from Bad Newz Kennelz received that opportunity.   One, numbered 2621, was killed after failing an ASPCA examination, and two died prior to their scheduled transfer to the federal government.  

I found it incredibly disappointing that both PETA and the HSUS recommended that ALL of the Bad Newz Kennels survivors be put down.  Most of you, at least, appear in favor of treating this dog like an individual.  If only all pit bulls were so lucky.

A few years ago, Malcolm Gladwell wrote an interesting article about Pit Bull bans and criminal profiling for the New Yorker that's well worth the read for those interested:  http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/02/06/060206fa_fact

just make sure to NEVER keep the dog and the child by themselves in a room,ect

... the dog will eventually become wanting to the attention

and if it is not given, you do not know how it will react.

i have 2 pits, and all of my friends as well, keep great care, and treat them like our own kids .

great thing you have done OP.

just make sure to NEVER keep the dog and the child by themselves in a room,ect

... the dog will eventually become wanting to the attention

and if it is not given, you do not know how it will react.

i have 2 pits, and all of my friends as well, keep great care, and treat them like our own kids .

great thing you have done OP.

i could understand if you were single or even just you and the wife...but not with kids...and you have other dogs as well?  it's risky

i could understand if you were single or even just you and the wife...but not with kids...and you have other dogs as well?  it's risky

He got a bath some skin treatment food a warm bed and love yesterday. He woke up the happiest dog this morning and so well mannered. I was shocked how happy he was this morning. He's massive but he's so beautiful and loving its crazy. Well post a video of him after work today.

He got a bath some skin treatment food a warm bed and love yesterday. He woke up the happiest dog this morning and so well mannered. I was shocked how happy he was this morning. He's massive but he's so beautiful and loving its crazy. Well post a video of him after work today.

Originally Posted by MHT214

Nice dog. Breed it. 

For what? So the streets can have more homeless Pits running around and ending up being put to sleep? Pits are the most overbred dog and it's due to stupidity. Whenever someone sees my Pit they ask if I'm gonna breed her or if I want to. Why, to make a couple dollars and to put half of the pups down? It's not worth it, if you have a Pit fix it and leave it at that. 

Originally Posted by MHT214

Nice dog. Breed it. 

For what? So the streets can have more homeless Pits running around and ending up being put to sleep? Pits are the most overbred dog and it's due to stupidity. Whenever someone sees my Pit they ask if I'm gonna breed her or if I want to. Why, to make a couple dollars and to put half of the pups down? It's not worth it, if you have a Pit fix it and leave it at that. 

I dunno about keeping the dog ...

You don't know the history of the dog ....

For all you know, it could be a ticking time bomb...  what if someone accidentally says a command that the former owner had used...  or if something happpens that reminds the dog of its traumatic history? 

I like pits.  I had one when I was very, very young before we gave it away to our uncle (none of us had time to care for it). 

I'd be wary OP.  If you want a pit bull so bad, why not get a puppy where you know its pedigree and such. 

For all you know, it could be a ticking time bomb...  what if someone accidentally says a command that the former owner had used...  or if something happpens that reminds the dog of its traumatic history? 

I like pits.  I had one when I was very, very young before we gave it away to our uncle (none of us had time to care for it). 

I'd be wary OP.  If you want a pit bull so bad, why not get a puppy where you know its pedigree and such. 

Youre a good man OP for taking in this dog who has pretty much been thu a beating and more.

My bro and his fiancee adopted a lady pit a few years ago and the intention of the previous owner was to fight her. They did a terrible job in cropping the ears. She literally has no ear flap. Shes very loving and playful and of course protective of her owner. (brothers fiancee gets jealous
laugh.gif
)

no threadjack but heres wat she looks like. At the dog park.
394981830.jpg

394981829.jpg

Youre a good man OP for taking in this dog who has pretty much been thu a beating and more.

My bro and his fiancee adopted a lady pit a few years ago and the intention of the previous owner was to fight her. They did a terrible job in cropping the ears. She literally has no ear flap. Shes very loving and playful and of course protective of her owner. (brothers fiancee gets jealous
laugh.gif
)

no threadjack but heres wat she looks like. At the dog park.
394981830.jpg

394981829.jpg

If this had been Amy other breed dog that was found on the street or even that was rescued from a shelter or human society, would so many of you have the same pessimistic reactions??

If this had been Amy other breed dog that was found on the street or even that was rescued from a shelter or human society, would so many of you have the same pessimistic reactions??

Originally Posted by amel223

Our last dog was a pit mix that we got at 6 weeks old. Did everything possible training and caring for her and she had more problems in one hour than this one has had in a full 24 hours. After almost a year and a half it became too much and more and more unpredictable we had to find her a new home.

Originally Posted by amel223

Our last dog was a pit mix that we got at 6 weeks old. Did everything possible training and caring for her and she had more problems in one hour than this one has had in a full 24 hours. After almost a year and a half it became too much and more and more unpredictable we had to find her a new home.

Back
Top Bottom