Question About Pit Bulls (former fighting dog)

unfortunately because of the state this dog is in, we don't have any HAPPY pix of the dog, but here is what we have found.  i didn't take the mike vick thing seriously because i didn't care.  but it hits home when you have a product of something related right in your arms.  pix courtesy of my wife whom the dog has taken to mostly:

179230_1669234463260_1609298660_1481115_1293798_n.jpg

167319_1669232743217_1609298660_1481112_2209050_n.jpg

179672_1669231223179_1609298660_1481108_4468906_n.jpg

168937_1669224583013_1609298660_1481093_1947404_n.jpg

169021_1669223902996_1609298660_1481091_7599810_n.jpg

167042_1668569046625_1609298660_1480061_7724301_n.jpg

^^pardon the jacket on him but it's all we have for him.  he was shivering (lower 40's in phoenix, az this morning).  borrowed the coat from out female pit/german Shepard mix.

Originally Posted by superflyinchopstickninja

wow man all those scars...
30t6p3b.gif
@ the previous owners.

Please take care of him bro... with all that bite mark scars, he's been through so much! Again, I $#%@$+$ hate people.

Originally Posted by superflyinchopstickninja

wow man all those scars...
30t6p3b.gif
@ the previous owners.

Please take care of him bro... with all that bite mark scars, he's been through so much! Again, I $#%@$+$ hate people.

All I'd say is be careful. Had a pit for 4 years since he was six weeks old. He came from a fighting line and was always great around our son and our other dogs except when it came to food. Could never break him of the aggressiveness when it came to the food and ended up having to put him down. Can't have a 60 lb dog that's food aggressive around a young kid, third strike and he was out.

All I'd say is be careful. Had a pit for 4 years since he was six weeks old. He came from a fighting line and was always great around our son and our other dogs except when it came to food. Could never break him of the aggressiveness when it came to the food and ended up having to put him down. Can't have a 60 lb dog that's food aggressive around a young kid, third strike and he was out.

Makes me want to go outside right now and play with my Pitbull.. in a few days when she realises no more fighting its gonna be the happiest dog

Makes me want to go outside right now and play with my Pitbull.. in a few days when she realises no more fighting its gonna be the happiest dog

Fighting dogs are bred to have dog aggression not human aggression.  I'd be more afraid of security dogs going berserk on people.  You're fine. Just be careful with it around dogs and start to pick up on it's visual cues when the dog is around other dogs. Is it only same sex aggressive or aggressive around both sexes? Small dogs or big dogs or both? Etc. The aggression can eventually be muted if trained consistently and properly. 
The scars look tough and I'm sure it hurt but it's only soft tissue damage. 

Pits are one of the most people friendly breeds that exist. 

edit: like the poster above said.Test the dog around food. Food aggression is a natural trait (some dogs have a stronger drive to it than others) and tough to break. As long as it's not food aggressive you're good to go. Also begin to set rules for the dog. Pits are smart dogs and eager to please. 

Fighting dogs are bred to have dog aggression not human aggression.  I'd be more afraid of security dogs going berserk on people.  You're fine. Just be careful with it around dogs and start to pick up on it's visual cues when the dog is around other dogs. Is it only same sex aggressive or aggressive around both sexes? Small dogs or big dogs or both? Etc. The aggression can eventually be muted if trained consistently and properly. 
The scars look tough and I'm sure it hurt but it's only soft tissue damage. 

Pits are one of the most people friendly breeds that exist. 

edit: like the poster above said.Test the dog around food. Food aggression is a natural trait (some dogs have a stronger drive to it than others) and tough to break. As long as it's not food aggressive you're good to go. Also begin to set rules for the dog. Pits are smart dogs and eager to please. 

for those that may know: what can i do to maintain his muscles/shape? this dog is BEAUTIFUL. at least the a-hole that did own him did something right.

what also upsets me is i be this dog came from west phoenix (7 miles up the road from our town of laveen) and decided to dump this dog in or close to our neighborhood. didn't think about the families around, the kids around, nothing. if you think about it, these people who train these dogs to fight actually have a skill. if they used it for good, they could make some decent money.

for those that may know: what can i do to maintain his muscles/shape? this dog is BEAUTIFUL. at least the a-hole that did own him did something right.

what also upsets me is i be this dog came from west phoenix (7 miles up the road from our town of laveen) and decided to dump this dog in or close to our neighborhood. didn't think about the families around, the kids around, nothing. if you think about it, these people who train these dogs to fight actually have a skill. if they used it for good, they could make some decent money.

Originally Posted by Esco51

indifferent.gif
You killed a dog because he was protective over his food? And strike 3? You would think after strike 1, you could have atleast take him to the shelter or get him to training school.

Definitely give him food that as a lot of protein. Blue Buffalo is definitely up there in terms of building strong dogs! Pretty pricey though.

One of my friends found a neglected Rottweiler, we actually though it was a Doberman because it was so skinny. Anyway he gave him dog supplement/food called 'Missing Links'... in no time, the dog became pretty brolic!
laugh.gif
We were like "Whoa! That's not a damn Doberman!"

Exercising is the key though, walk them and let them play everyday! Check out this site www.dogbreedinfo.com, it has a lot of information for almost every dog there is.

indifferent.gif
You killed a dog because he was protective over his food? And strike 3? You would think after strike 1, you could have atleast take him to the shelter or get him to training school.

Definitely give him food that as a lot of protein. Blue Buffalo is definitely up there in terms of building strong dogs! Pretty pricey though.

One of my friends found a neglected Rottweiler, we actually though it was a Doberman because it was so skinny. Anyway he gave him dog supplement/food called 'Missing Links'... in no time, the dog became pretty brolic!
laugh.gif
We were like "Whoa! That's not a damn Doberman!"

Exercising is the key though, walk them and let them play everyday! Check out this site www.dogbreedinfo.com, it has a lot of information for almost every dog there is.

eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif
at the scars. Poor thing
eyes.gif

Im sure youll take care of him bro. I wonder if he ran away from his previous owner or they just left him?
Like Night Marcher01 said, it could be a sign. Treat it with love and i bet itll give love back.

Cant wait till i get myself a dog, and become bestfriends with it
smokin.gif

eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif
at the scars. Poor thing
eyes.gif

Im sure youll take care of him bro. I wonder if he ran away from his previous owner or they just left him?
Like Night Marcher01 said, it could be a sign. Treat it with love and i bet itll give love back.

Cant wait till i get myself a dog, and become bestfriends with it
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by khadafi252

Pit Bulls pretty much are born with the muscle, just don't overfeed her and make sure she gets enough exercise. A decent walk a day and a lot of running if you have a backyard. Pit Bulls are MAD energetic and love to run and go crazy for hours. The more it runs, the happier and more respectful your dog will be in the house. 

Originally Posted by khadafi252

Pit Bulls pretty much are born with the muscle, just don't overfeed her and make sure she gets enough exercise. A decent walk a day and a lot of running if you have a backyard. Pit Bulls are MAD energetic and love to run and go crazy for hours. The more it runs, the happier and more respectful your dog will be in the house. 

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

indifferent.gif
Food aggression in some dogs is very strong. It's a natural trait after all. In some cases there is no way to train a dog out of it. I don't know whether the dog could've been adopted out but having  a young child around a food aggressive dog is dangerous and irresponsible. 
I have a gundog  (GSP). His prey drive is very strong. There is nothing I can do to break him of that even if I wanted to. Same with food aggressiveness in some dogs. 

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

indifferent.gif
Food aggression in some dogs is very strong. It's a natural trait after all. In some cases there is no way to train a dog out of it. I don't know whether the dog could've been adopted out but having  a young child around a food aggressive dog is dangerous and irresponsible. 
I have a gundog  (GSP). His prey drive is very strong. There is nothing I can do to break him of that even if I wanted to. Same with food aggressiveness in some dogs. 

Back
Top Bottom