**PHILLY EAGLES OFF-SEASON THREAD** DRAFT TIME

Somebody found a job pretty quick.
laugh.gif

Former Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Sean McDermott has been hired as the new defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers, league sources told ESPN Senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

[h1]Titans could lose Washburn to Eagles[/h1][h2]Coach Jeff Fisher confirms veteran defensive line coach has talked with Philadelphia[/h2]By Jim Wyatt • THE TENNESSEAN• January 18, 2011

When Titans Coach Jeff Fisher finalizes contracts for his assistants, the group might not include defensive line coach Jim Washburn.

Washburn has been in discussions with the Philadelphia Eagles in recent days and there were indications Tuesday night that he could be leaving the Titans after 12 seasons.

Nothing has been decided, Fisher said. Washburn, 61, was not available for comment.

“The only thing I can confirm is he has been talking them,’’ Fisher said of Washburn and the Eagles. “We are in the middle of it and going back and forth. I would think we’d find out in the next day or so.’’

The Eagles fired their defensive line coach of the past two years, Rory Segrest, earlier this month.

Known for his fiery disposition, Washburn helped develop players including Jevon Kearse, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Albert Haynesworth, Jason Babin, Antwan Odom and Robaire Smith. Over the years his linemen have posted 474 sacks, including 40 in 2010.

Five of his players (Kearse, Vanden Bosch, Kevin Carter, Haynesworth and Babin) have earned a total of ten Pro Bowls. Babin became a first-time Pro Bowler in 2010 after posting 12.5 sacks.

Washburn also helped some of his pupils get rich. To be exact, 11 defensive linemen left the Titans over the past 12 years to sign big free agent contracts elsewhere at a total value of more than $355 million. Veteran defensive tackle Tony Brown re-signed with the Titans last offseason for more than $17 million.

“To me personally, football and career wise, he has had the biggest influence on my career,’’ Vanden Bosch said of Washburn when the veteran defensive end left the Titans to sign with the Lions last offseason.

“The main reason is he understands his players, he cares about players. As a fan that comes out for training camp practices, you see him yelling and think it must be tough to play for him. But he does it because he truly wants to get the best out of his players and cares about his players.’’

In 1999 and 2000 the Titans set the team record for sacks, but Washburn’s units have been less successful in recent seasons. The Titans managed just 32 sacks in 2009 and only 26 in 2006.

As for the rest of his coaching staff, Fisher said he hopes to have things finalized soon. Many of the coaches are expected to attend Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala., next week.

“We are working on it. We’ll get things settled, but we have some work to do,’’ Fisher said. “But right now I am not ready to discuss anything regarding my staff.’’

[h1]Titans could lose Washburn to Eagles[/h1][h2]Coach Jeff Fisher confirms veteran defensive line coach has talked with Philadelphia[/h2]By Jim Wyatt • THE TENNESSEAN• January 18, 2011

When Titans Coach Jeff Fisher finalizes contracts for his assistants, the group might not include defensive line coach Jim Washburn.

Washburn has been in discussions with the Philadelphia Eagles in recent days and there were indications Tuesday night that he could be leaving the Titans after 12 seasons.

Nothing has been decided, Fisher said. Washburn, 61, was not available for comment.

“The only thing I can confirm is he has been talking them,’’ Fisher said of Washburn and the Eagles. “We are in the middle of it and going back and forth. I would think we’d find out in the next day or so.’’

The Eagles fired their defensive line coach of the past two years, Rory Segrest, earlier this month.

Known for his fiery disposition, Washburn helped develop players including Jevon Kearse, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Albert Haynesworth, Jason Babin, Antwan Odom and Robaire Smith. Over the years his linemen have posted 474 sacks, including 40 in 2010.

Five of his players (Kearse, Vanden Bosch, Kevin Carter, Haynesworth and Babin) have earned a total of ten Pro Bowls. Babin became a first-time Pro Bowler in 2010 after posting 12.5 sacks.

Washburn also helped some of his pupils get rich. To be exact, 11 defensive linemen left the Titans over the past 12 years to sign big free agent contracts elsewhere at a total value of more than $355 million. Veteran defensive tackle Tony Brown re-signed with the Titans last offseason for more than $17 million.

“To me personally, football and career wise, he has had the biggest influence on my career,’’ Vanden Bosch said of Washburn when the veteran defensive end left the Titans to sign with the Lions last offseason.

“The main reason is he understands his players, he cares about players. As a fan that comes out for training camp practices, you see him yelling and think it must be tough to play for him. But he does it because he truly wants to get the best out of his players and cares about his players.’’

In 1999 and 2000 the Titans set the team record for sacks, but Washburn’s units have been less successful in recent seasons. The Titans managed just 32 sacks in 2009 and only 26 in 2006.

As for the rest of his coaching staff, Fisher said he hopes to have things finalized soon. Many of the coaches are expected to attend Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala., next week.

“We are working on it. We’ll get things settled, but we have some work to do,’’ Fisher said. “But right now I am not ready to discuss anything regarding my staff.’’

of all of the candidates we are rumored to be interested in for DC, i hope we get trogovac from the packers

of all of the candidates we are rumored to be interested in for DC, i hope we get trogovac from the packers

Trogovac would be huge...

Haynesworth is apparently saying that he'd take less money to come to Philly and play for Washburn. There's no chance Haynesworth is a ******* next year, and I doubt any team will be willing to trade for him without assurance that he'd be cooperative. Hopefully he gets cut and comes to Philly.

Jason Babin is also expressing interest in coming back here so he can play for Washburn.

Here's my ideal offseason

1. Resign Vick.
2. Extend DJax.
3. Sign Nnamdi.
4. Sign Mankins.
5. Trade for/sign Haynesworth
6. Sign Babin.
7. Trade Kolb and net either another 1st rounder or a swap of 1st rounders where we move near the top of the board.
8. Use that 1st rounder to get the best talent available, or make sure we get PP or Prince if we can't land Nnamdi.

Haynesworth is apparently saying that he'd take less money to come to Philly and play for Washburn. There's no chance Haynesworth is a ******* next year, and I doubt any team will be willing to trade for him without assurance that he'd be cooperative. Hopefully he gets cut and comes to Philly.

Jason Babin is also expressing interest in coming back here so he can play for Washburn.

1. Resign Vick.
2. Extend DJax.
3. Sign Nnamdi.
4. Sign Mankins.
6. Sign Babin.
7. Trade Kolb and net either another 1st rounder or a swap of 1st rounders where we move near the top of the board.
8. Use that 1st rounder to get the best talent available, or make sure we get PP or Prince if we can't land Nnamdi.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

1. Resign Vick.
2. Extend DJax.
3. Sign Nnamdi.
4. Sign Mankins.
6. Sign Babin.

Cosign with everything here

I would honestly love for us to bring Haynesworth in... dude has something to prove and a motivated Haynesworth is a problem

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

1. Resign Vick.
2. Extend DJax.
3. Sign Nnamdi.
4. Sign Mankins.
6. Sign Babin.

Cosign with everything here

I would honestly love for us to bring Haynesworth in... dude has something to prove and a motivated Haynesworth is a problem

[h1]Source: **** Jauron to coach Browns' D[/h1]
ESPN.com news services

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns are expected to name **** Jauron their new defensive coordinator after coming to terms with the former NFL head coach, a league source has confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

30017.jpg

Jauron

The 60-year-old Jauron is close to finalizing a contract to join Pat Shurmur's staff. Jauron spent the past two seasons coaching Philadelphia's secondary. The well-respected Jauron previously coached in Buffalo and Chicago, posting a 60-82 record.

The team may have an announcement as early as Friday.

Also Friday, Browns special teams coach Brad Seely was closing in on a deal to become the 49ers' special teams coach, a source told ESPN's Schefter.

Shurmur, hired last week as Cleveland's fifth coach since 1999, is also looking for an offensive coordinator after Brian Daboll was fired and signed with Miami. Rob Ryan, Cleveland's defensive coordinator the past two years under Eric Mangini, is now with Dallas.

The Browns also interviewed former Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt to run their defense, but he is close to joining Buffalo.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

[h1]Source: **** Jauron to coach Browns' D[/h1]
ESPN.com news services

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns are expected to name **** Jauron their new defensive coordinator after coming to terms with the former NFL head coach, a league source has confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

30017.jpg

Jauron

The 60-year-old Jauron is close to finalizing a contract to join Pat Shurmur's staff. Jauron spent the past two seasons coaching Philadelphia's secondary. The well-respected Jauron previously coached in Buffalo and Chicago, posting a 60-82 record.

The team may have an announcement as early as Friday.

Also Friday, Browns special teams coach Brad Seely was closing in on a deal to become the 49ers' special teams coach, a source told ESPN's Schefter.

Shurmur, hired last week as Cleveland's fifth coach since 1999, is also looking for an offensive coordinator after Brian Daboll was fired and signed with Miami. Rob Ryan, Cleveland's defensive coordinator the past two years under Eric Mangini, is now with Dallas.

The Browns also interviewed former Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt to run their defense, but he is close to joining Buffalo.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Eagles name Juan Castillo defensive coordinator and Howard Mudd offensive line coach.

not sure what to think abotu castillo being named DC

Eagles name Juan Castillo defensive coordinator and Howard Mudd offensive line coach.

not sure what to think abotu castillo being named DC

I really want us to become the elite defensive team again. Have teams struggling to crack 14. With Vick on the other side of a great defense we go all the way.

I really want us to become the elite defensive team again. Have teams struggling to crack 14. With Vick on the other side of a great defense we go all the way.

Back
Top Bottom