ESPN- Eagles need Asomugha in the worst way
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
I'm praying
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bleezys and Heem

what do you eagle fans think of kolb?

imo he's decent but i wouldn't give up a 1st for him
I like Kolb to be honest. Shows signs of being able to be a decent starting QB, but this past season, the bad showed a lot more than the good. If the decision was up to me, I would keep him on the Eagles roster as a back-up to Vick. I know Kolb wants to be a starter now and Andy Reid is going with the hot hand in Vick, which doesn't bother me at all. I wouldn't be mad if the Eagles traded Kolb to the 49ers for their 1st round pick. I would hope he could be successful for them, and I would hope the Eagles would make a good selection in the draft for a defensive player. Our defense needs it.
laugh.gif

I like Kolb to be honest. Shows signs of being able to be a decent starting QB, but this past season, the bad showed a lot more than the good. If the decision was up to me, I would keep him on the Eagles roster as a back-up to Vick. I know Kolb wants to be a starter now and Andy Reid is going with the hot hand in Vick, which doesn't bother me at all. I wouldn't be mad if the Eagles traded Kolb to the 49ers for their 1st round pick. I would hope he could be successful for them, and I would hope the Eagles would make a good selection in the draft for a defensive player. Our defense needs it.
laugh.gif

Well, good to see the Eagles did something. To be fair McDermott didn't have much to work with and was handed a depleted defensive squad. But who is gonna get the job as the new DC?
When will Reid go!?
nerd.gif

Well, good to see the Eagles did something. To be fair McDermott didn't have much to work with and was handed a depleted defensive squad. But who is gonna get the job as the new DC?
When will Reid go!?
nerd.gif

I think he is going to be a good QB but he wouldn't have stood a chance with this O line, it really might be the worst O line the Eagles have EVER had.  I think you can get Kolb for a 2nd rounder and he's perfect to play in the system Harbaugh is installing.

I think he is going to be a good QB but he wouldn't have stood a chance with this O line, it really might be the worst O line the Eagles have EVER had.  I think you can get Kolb for a 2nd rounder and he's perfect to play in the system Harbaugh is installing.

We will get a 1st rounder for Kolb. At the very least we swap our 1st rounder for a high 1st rounder and also receive a 3rd-4th round pick.

There isn't a single QB in FA that is an attractive option for any team to be their starter next year. The QB draft class is weak. And there are a ton of teams that should be playoff bound if they could get good QB play.

Minnesota
Arizona
San Fran
Miami
Tennessee
Oakland

Somebody will make a move for him. Because it's either that or throw a ton of money at an unproven rookie that may take a few years to develop. Kolb is ready to go now.

We will get a 1st rounder for Kolb. At the very least we swap our 1st rounder for a high 1st rounder and also receive a 3rd-4th round pick.

There isn't a single QB in FA that is an attractive option for any team to be their starter next year. The QB draft class is weak. And there are a ton of teams that should be playoff bound if they could get good QB play.

Minnesota
Arizona
San Fran
Miami
Tennessee
Oakland

Somebody will make a move for him. Because it's either that or throw a ton of money at an unproven rookie that may take a few years to develop. Kolb is ready to go now.

[h6]Changes Continue In Defensive Coaching Staff[/h6]After Sean McDermott was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator Saturday, it was clear that head coach Andy Read was looking to make some changes on the defensive coaching staff. Sunday, the Eagles announced that Rory Segrest, who had coached the defensive line for two seasons, was also relieved of his duties.

No replacement for either McDermott or Segrest has yet been named. Outside reports indicate that candidates for the opening at defensive coordinator include current secondary coach **** Jauron, former head coach of the Atlanta Falcons and Seattle Seahawks Jim Mora Jr., and former Cardinals defensive coordinator Bill Davis.

Bloghead will keep you updated as more news about the coaching vacancies surfaces.

-- Posted by Bo Wulf, 6:30 p.m., January 16

[h6]Changes Continue In Defensive Coaching Staff[/h6]After Sean McDermott was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator Saturday, it was clear that head coach Andy Read was looking to make some changes on the defensive coaching staff. Sunday, the Eagles announced that Rory Segrest, who had coached the defensive line for two seasons, was also relieved of his duties.

No replacement for either McDermott or Segrest has yet been named. Outside reports indicate that candidates for the opening at defensive coordinator include current secondary coach **** Jauron, former head coach of the Atlanta Falcons and Seattle Seahawks Jim Mora Jr., and former Cardinals defensive coordinator Bill Davis.

Bloghead will keep you updated as more news about the coaching vacancies surfaces.

-- Posted by Bo Wulf, 6:30 p.m., January 16

i always tell my friends that eventually reid has to be held accountable....we have been losing due to bad personel while we had mcnabb and questionable coaching as well...they can only blame the players so much....

i always tell my friends that eventually reid has to be held accountable....we have been losing due to bad personel while we had mcnabb and questionable coaching as well...they can only blame the players so much....

[h2]Andy banking on Super defense[/h2]JANUARY 17TH, 2011, AUTHOR: GEOFF MOSHER, CATEGORIES: UNCATEGORIZED
By GEOFF MOSHER
Twitter: @
geoffmosher

PHILADELPHIA – Andy Reid’s house cleaning of the defensive coaching staff was less about the shortcoming of former coordinator Sean McDermott and defensive line coach Rory Segrest than it was about the team’s expectations for 2011.

Even in the cold, harsh world of the NFL, two years isn’t a fair audition for any coordinator, much less one asked to replace a legendary figure on the fly and do it for a team that goes into each season thinking Super Bowl or bust.

Considering all the torn-up knees, broken bones and battered elbows that reduced McDermott’s defense to a patchwork of seventh-round picks and castoffs, one could argue that he did a more than capable job of fielding a competitive defense, which only gave up 21 points in its biggest game. Green Bay had already matched that total – and exceeded it – before halftime of its Saturday night divisional win over Atlanta.

Contrary to Eagles fan opinion, finishing 12th in overall yards allowed for each of his two years isn’t the crime of the century.

But what the playoffs have showed us, again, is that offensive teams are usually the ones checking out early in January. The Eagles were the NFC’s top-scoring team and couldn’t get out of the first round again. The Patriots led the world in points per game but couldn’t move the ball for the better part of three quarters against the sixth-ranked scoring defense of the Jets, who like Green Bay, Chicago and Pittsburgh – the NFL’s second-, fourth- and first-ranked scoring defenses, respectively – are now one step from the Super Bowl.

Make no mistake, McDermott worked overtime to carry the torch of his mentor, Jim Johnson, and there were moments – the 2009 opener against Carolina, last November’s victory against the Colts – where McDermott played the part. McDermott’s defenses bore the same genetic coding to Johnson’s, but in the end, the fibers that separate an apprentice from his teacher were exposed under the microscope.

McDermott’s pressure schemes were picked apart by the Cowboys three times in 2009 and similar failures to get at the quarterback – along with an inability to make a red-zone stop – surfaced in 2010.

And now Reid today is left looking for someone who can deliver him what even the revered Johnson could not – a championship defense. That’s what these firing were about.

After two years of purging veterans to rebuild his nucleus, and with a quarterback that can make magic if protected, what Reid most needs is assurance that the guy in charge of his other 11 is Super Bowl ready.

If he’s going to lobby Joe Banner into dropping an ungodly sum of money on free-agent corner Nnamdi Asomugha and maybe another pass rusher, Reid needs to know the CEO of his defense has the strategic know-how to get return on his investments.

The list of available established defensive minds, headlined by Jim Mora, Jr., is uniquely impressive for this time of the year. Mora has connections to Reid, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg andMichael VickEric Mangini is looking for a new employer, as is former Cardinals defensive coordinatorBilly Davis.

There’s also secondary coach **** Jauron, the Eagles’ only in-house candidate and a former two-time head coach, although he’s not the anointed successor some fans think he should be. Put it this way: If Reid was really convinced that Jauron was hands down the best option to coach the defense, wouldn’t there have been a press conference by now?

Whoever lands the job won’t face any less pressure to perform than McDermott did. Reid has three years left on the extension he signed last year and it’s hard to believe he’ll go beyond 2013 if he hasn’t yet hoisted the Lombardi Trophy. Vick, whose contract expires in March, is likely to get a deal that will carry him until at least 2013.

That gives Reid just three more chances to deliver this franchise its first Super Bowl title, starting next year, which might be his best shot, especially in a potentially shortened season that would lessen the punishment on Vick’s body.

But it can only be done with a Super Bowl-caliber defense.

[h2]Andy banking on Super defense[/h2]JANUARY 17TH, 2011, AUTHOR: GEOFF MOSHER, CATEGORIES: UNCATEGORIZED
By GEOFF MOSHER
Twitter: @
geoffmosher

PHILADELPHIA – Andy Reid’s house cleaning of the defensive coaching staff was less about the shortcoming of former coordinator Sean McDermott and defensive line coach Rory Segrest than it was about the team’s expectations for 2011.

Even in the cold, harsh world of the NFL, two years isn’t a fair audition for any coordinator, much less one asked to replace a legendary figure on the fly and do it for a team that goes into each season thinking Super Bowl or bust.

Considering all the torn-up knees, broken bones and battered elbows that reduced McDermott’s defense to a patchwork of seventh-round picks and castoffs, one could argue that he did a more than capable job of fielding a competitive defense, which only gave up 21 points in its biggest game. Green Bay had already matched that total – and exceeded it – before halftime of its Saturday night divisional win over Atlanta.

Contrary to Eagles fan opinion, finishing 12th in overall yards allowed for each of his two years isn’t the crime of the century.

But what the playoffs have showed us, again, is that offensive teams are usually the ones checking out early in January. The Eagles were the NFC’s top-scoring team and couldn’t get out of the first round again. The Patriots led the world in points per game but couldn’t move the ball for the better part of three quarters against the sixth-ranked scoring defense of the Jets, who like Green Bay, Chicago and Pittsburgh – the NFL’s second-, fourth- and first-ranked scoring defenses, respectively – are now one step from the Super Bowl.

Make no mistake, McDermott worked overtime to carry the torch of his mentor, Jim Johnson, and there were moments – the 2009 opener against Carolina, last November’s victory against the Colts – where McDermott played the part. McDermott’s defenses bore the same genetic coding to Johnson’s, but in the end, the fibers that separate an apprentice from his teacher were exposed under the microscope.

McDermott’s pressure schemes were picked apart by the Cowboys three times in 2009 and similar failures to get at the quarterback – along with an inability to make a red-zone stop – surfaced in 2010.

And now Reid today is left looking for someone who can deliver him what even the revered Johnson could not – a championship defense. That’s what these firing were about.

After two years of purging veterans to rebuild his nucleus, and with a quarterback that can make magic if protected, what Reid most needs is assurance that the guy in charge of his other 11 is Super Bowl ready.

If he’s going to lobby Joe Banner into dropping an ungodly sum of money on free-agent corner Nnamdi Asomugha and maybe another pass rusher, Reid needs to know the CEO of his defense has the strategic know-how to get return on his investments.

The list of available established defensive minds, headlined by Jim Mora, Jr., is uniquely impressive for this time of the year. Mora has connections to Reid, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg andMichael VickEric Mangini is looking for a new employer, as is former Cardinals defensive coordinatorBilly Davis.

There’s also secondary coach **** Jauron, the Eagles’ only in-house candidate and a former two-time head coach, although he’s not the anointed successor some fans think he should be. Put it this way: If Reid was really convinced that Jauron was hands down the best option to coach the defense, wouldn’t there have been a press conference by now?

Whoever lands the job won’t face any less pressure to perform than McDermott did. Reid has three years left on the extension he signed last year and it’s hard to believe he’ll go beyond 2013 if he hasn’t yet hoisted the Lombardi Trophy. Vick, whose contract expires in March, is likely to get a deal that will carry him until at least 2013.

That gives Reid just three more chances to deliver this franchise its first Super Bowl title, starting next year, which might be his best shot, especially in a potentially shortened season that would lessen the punishment on Vick’s body.

But it can only be done with a Super Bowl-caliber defense.

hopefully this coaching shake up means reid is on the hotseat.. which i like, no one can get complacent

hopefully this coaching shake up means reid is on the hotseat.. which i like, no one can get complacent

Who do you guys think will be the best fit for us defensively?
-Jim Mora Jr?
-Eric Mangini?
-Billy Davis?
Or just promoting **** Jauron?

Who do you guys think will be the best fit for us defensively?
-Jim Mora Jr?
-Eric Mangini?
-Billy Davis?
Or just promoting **** Jauron?

Somebody found a job pretty quick.
laugh.gif

Former Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Sean McDermott has been hired as the new defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers, league sources told ESPN Senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Back
Top Bottom