OJ Mayo: Better Career as a Point Guard or Shooting Guard?

Originally Posted by GhostWriter

Originally Posted by The Wizard

OJ Mayo is gonna be one of the greatest stars in the next few years. I can't believe alot of teams passed on him in the draft......MIAMI
wasn't he the 3rd pick of the draft???

i haven't really seen the grizz play this year, but he's shooting the ball at a pretty decent percentage for a rookie guard. why would you want to move him on the ball?

But I can't believe Miami took Mike Beasley over him. Minnesota made a huge mistake when they traded him to Memphis.
laugh.gif
there was only 2 teams before he got picked.... whywouldnt miami take beasley??.... mayo is a natural #2... the heat already have wade... so who is gonna run the point??
mayo and wade both need the ball in there hands to score...
i can see mayo running point like wade does sometimes when they wanna go "big"

Ceiling = Arenas with lockdown D..
He's a scoring point guard man.. he could be a great one but needs to make sure he's a lockdown defender to reach his max..

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

Originally Posted by The Wizard

OJ Mayo is gonna be one of the greatest stars in the next few years. I can't believe alot of teams passed on him in the draft......MIAMI
wasn't he the 3rd pick of the draft???

i haven't really seen the grizz play this year, but he's shooting the ball at a pretty decent percentage for a rookie guard. why would you want to move him on the ball?

But I can't believe Miami took Mike Beasley over him. Minnesota made a huge mistake when they traded him to Memphis.
laugh.gif
there was only 2 teams before he got picked.... why wouldnt miami take beasley??.... mayo is a natural #2... the heat already have wade... so who is gonna run the point??
mayo and wade both need the ball in there hands to score...
i can see mayo running point like wade does sometimes when they wanna go "big"

Til' this very day, Wade still wish the Heat would've taken Mayo. I think Stephen A. made a comment about everytime Wade sees him, he tells him"OJ". I think Wade thought OJ would've looked good in the backcourt with him playing the one. If Mayo does stay at two guard spot, he needs toget the ball at the top of the key once Conley or whomever is running the PG duties get across. Most stars such as Kobe, Wade, etc. do get the ball at the topof the key and create which is what Mayo should be able to do instead of spotting up on the wing or in the corner. So, maybe its not really all about seeing OJat PG, but more of how he's used in the game. I don't see him as the next Ben Gordon at all because his skillset is on another level compared to BGwhich is why he should have the ball at the top of the key at the start of the offense.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

OJ CANNOT play PG in the NBA.

He is an SG.... a position where he will find himself very undersized.
How's Wade doing at the undersized SG spot?

Oj could never be a point guard with his shot selection.. He's a jump shooting off guard.. He gets buckets but he's not lookin to pass first

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

OJ CANNOT play PG in the NBA.
What makes you so sure?
He is an SG.... a position where he will find himself very undersized.
Like he'll be the only one. That won't prevent him from doing damage.

Fact of the matter is, there are combo guards coming out by the boatload. They will find spots on NBA rosters. They will start. Whether it's @ the 1 or the 2, it doesn't matter (Unless they have a out of this world, cornerstone PG).

That's the way the game is moving.

How many of y'all actually watched OJ the second half of his season @ USC and his games up to this moment?

what makes me so sure? i've watched dude in HS, at USC, and i've seen him play this season. he has never been a natural playmaking PG. andthis is the main opinion among the hundreds of scouts who have watched him play more than you and i, so i don't know why you act like it isn't true.

and besides an anomaly in Wade, how many combo guards are excelling in the league right now? Ben Gordon? Nate Robinson? there is no place for those guys in theleague. at least not on succcessful/non-dysfunctional teams.

How's Wade doing at the undersized SG spot?

i didn't realize Wade was a straight-up scorer with weak PG skills...
grin.gif

LOL @ Oj being a glorified JR Smith. JR wishes he has half the basketball IQ of OJ.

Rudy Gay on the other hand....

OJ will be fine. They should let him create more though. He's not a natural point although he can handle spot duty like Roy or Wade. But he's a scorernaturally.

Who had the nerve to put JR Smith in the same category as OJ? Give me a break. OJ is way better than this bum who could only score when hes open from 3 pointland and lose in the slam dunk contest every year. OJ is a two guard just like Iverson is - it doesn't matter the size. I wouldn't depend on OJhandling the ball and dishing to cats. Its not his game. But, if i need someone to score, OJ is your man.

oj's game is a lot more like roy's than people realize. jr? ben gordon? ....really?

.....a wade/oj back court would've been the best in the league within two years.

Originally Posted by Lavious

oj's game is a lot more like roy's than people realize. jr? ben gordon? ....really?

.....a wade/oj back court would've been the best in the league within two years.
Ehhh like Roy...maybe un poquito. Roy is more of a polished ballplayer than I think OJ will ever be. But, i totally agree on the ending of yourpost. Best backcourt period if it happened. Michael Beasley is a lazy bum and Riley was shook of not picking him. All Beasley is is an undersized power forwardwho is scared of banging inside.

Originally Posted by Liveabovemediocrity

Who had the nerve to put JR Smith in the same category as OJ? Give me a break. OJ is way better than this bum who could only score when hes open from 3 point land and lose in the slam dunk contest every year. OJ is a two guard just like Iverson is - it doesn't matter the size. I wouldn't depend on OJ handling the ball and dishing to cats. Its not his game. But, if i need someone to score, OJ is your man.
how can OJ be like Iverson, yet "handling the ball and dishing to cats" is not his game
roll.gif
roll.gif

OJ and Iverson are exactly alike - they can't play any defense, dominate the ball (Rudy Gay's been griping), aren't assist monsters, and are bothgreat scorers (in Iverson's case was). Handling the ball and not turning it over and getting assists isn't part of Iverson's game nor OJ's. Idon't know what you've been watching.

both great scorers (in Iverson's case was)
indifferent.gif
@ that comment and
indifferent.gif
to the comparison.

AI will still torch anyone...I thought he's proven that if nothing else he can still score.

Just because I said AI isn't a great scorer, doesn't mean I don't think he can still score. James, Kobe, Wade are great scorers. You can'tpossibly tell me that AI at this age is still a great scorer.

OJ and Iverson are exactly alike - they can't play any defense, dominate the ball (Rudy Gay's been griping), aren't assist monsters, and are both great scorers (in Iverson's case was). Handling the ball and not turning it over and getting assists isn't part of Iverson's game nor OJ's. I don't know what you've been watching.
indifferent.gif

In high school OJ could play point because he was just flat out the best player on the court at all times...now he needs todo what he does best: score...keep him at SG.

Back
Top Bottom