OJ Mayo: Better Career as a Point Guard or Shooting Guard?

wade and oj best backcourt? really now...dominant yes, but the two of them would not be able to lead their team past the finals. guaranteed.

I've been saying this for a while now- there is a limit to OJs potential if he stays strictly as a two guard. If he can ever learn to play the point forlong stretches or even handle the ball a lot more than he does now, then he can go to a whole other level.

But, a lot of that will come with time and experience- he'll learn to make plays for others more often as he goes along, but I do agree Memphis needs tolet him run the team more. You ain't winning with Conley starting, Jaric backing him up at the point.

I need to add- OJ and Wade in the same backcourt would be murder. They could definitely play together because they have complementary games- OJ playing offWade would be money for 5 or so wide open 3s a game.

BOTH!!!he's capable of doing it and talent wise,he should play for a good and veteran head coach like Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

what makes me so sure? i've watched dude in HS, at USC, and i've seen him play this season. he has never been a natural playmaking PG. and this is the main opinion among the hundreds of scouts who have watched him play more than you and i, so i don't know why you act like it isn't true.
Not being a natural playmaking PG =/= Not being able to play the PG position in the NBA.
and besides an anomaly in Wade, how many combo guards are excelling in the league right now? Ben Gordon? Nate Robinson? there is no place for those guys in the league.
Mo, Monta, AI, Devin, Gillie, BD, Eric Gordon, Randy Foye, BD, Nate, Ben Gordon (Was good before he fell so in love w/ is J)Bibby & BobbyJackson made a career out of it, Chauncey (He is not your "Natural Playmaking PG"), Deron Willliams (Again, not your quinticential PG), Westbrook,Lou Will, Delonte West, Boobie Gibson, Rodney Stuckey, Flip Murray etc.

Outside of a couple guys, That Pure PG list is dwindling by the year.
at least not on succcessful/non-dysfunctional teams.
Maybe so, but there IS a place for them and they will continue to be in demand.
i didn't realize Wade was a straight-up scorer with weak PG skills...
grin.gif

How could you NOT realize that?

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

what makes me so sure? i've watched dude in HS, at USC, and i've seen him play this season. he has never been a natural playmaking PG. and this is the main opinion among the hundreds of scouts who have watched him play more than you and i, so i don't know why you act like it isn't true.
Not being a natural playmaking PG =/= Not being able to play the PG position in the NBA.
and besides an anomaly in Wade, how many combo guards are excelling in the league right now? Ben Gordon? Nate Robinson? there is no place for those guys in the league.
Mo, Monta, AI, Devin, Gillie, BD, Eric Gordon, Randy Foye, BD, Nate, Ben Gordon (Was good before he fell so in love w/ is J)Bibby & Bobby Jackson made a career out of it, Chauncey (He is not your "Natural Playmaking PG"), Deron Willliams (Again, not your quinticential PG), Westbrook, Lou Will, Delonte West, Boobie Gibson, Rodney Stuckey, Flip Murray etc.

Outside of a couple guys, That Pure PG list is dwindling by the year.
at least not on succcessful/non-dysfunctional teams.
Maybe so, but there IS a place for them and they will continue to be in demand.
i didn't realize Wade was a straight-up scorer with weak PG skills...
grin.gif

How could you NOT realize that?

How is Deron not a pure pg?

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

I don't see him in the same vein as a CP3 or Steve Nash.

I can see how someone would think the opposite, but I don't see it that way.

To me, Deron is a Scoring guard who can play the PG spot. He can excel @ the SG spot too.

OJ Mayo should stay as a shooting guard. He has the potential to be a very deadly 2 guard in a couple years (sooner than later). He has a great mid-range shotand is excellent at creating his own shot. I've watched him a couple times and he has a good grasp of the game. He is better suited at the 2 guard.

To me, Deron is a Scoring guard who can play the PG spot. He can excel @ the SG spot too.

Wow, I guess everyone is entitle to their opinion but dude is a prototypical pg to me. Just cause a PG can score doesn't mean he is a 2 guard. Deron is avery good shooter, and doesn't put up astonding numbers of points, his numbers come in the flow of the game never from him forcing.

Originally Posted by kingkb34

In high school OJ could play point because he was just flat out the best player on the court at all times...now he needs to do what he does best: score...keep him at SG.
agreed.

AND deron is your typical PG. How is he considered a combo guard?

Wow, I guess everyone is entitle to their opinion but dude is a prototypical pg to me. Just cause a PG can score doesn't mean he is a 2 guard. Deron is a very good shooter, and doesn't put up astonding numbers of points, his numbers come in the flow of the game never from him forcing.

deron is coming off of a 20 ast game.... he's pretty much a pure pg, especially in the system sloan runs.

...what good nba pg in the nba can't get 20 anymore?

The Grizzlies should just become the 2001 76ers, Trade away Rudy Gay for some people who play defence, a big Eric Snow point guard who can guard SG's. Thenjust make the entire offence predicated on getting Juice the ball in space, just let him take a million shots.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom