Official Warriors Offseason Thread --> PLEASE LOCK.

i just hope the fakers lose so there won't be bandwagoners putting up those stupid faker flags on their cars here.
i wouldn't mind if cleveland wins...just not the lakers

i wouldn't mind either if CLE wins it 'cause let's face it LBJ is gonna get his ring, might as well take Jamison along for the ride.

And Leon Powe would get his second ring
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I don't want the Lakers or the Cavs to win it all
sick.gif
I'm not even going to mention Boston because I don't think they have a chance in hell but I'd be ecstatic if ANY other team won but those two I mentioned.

[h1]Beloved former Warriors owner Mieuli dies[/h1]

Dwight Chapin, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, April 25, 2010

(04-25) 20:35 PDT -- Franklin Mieuli, who owned the Warriors for 24 years yet always thought of himself as a common man, died Sunday at age 89.

Mieuli, who recently had been hospitalized, died in the Bay Area due to natural causes, his family told The Chronicle.

He assumed a partial stake in the Warriors when it moved to the Bay Area from Philadelphia in 1962 and became the club's majority owner shortly thereafter.

During his tenure with the Warriors, the club captured its lone NBA Championship in 1975, when head coach Al Attles and forward Rick Barry led the team to an improbable four-game sweep of the Washington Bullets in the NBA Finals. Mieuli retained ownership in the team until 1986, when he sold the club to Jim Fitzgerald.

A long-time radio and TV producer in the Bay Area, Mieuli had partial stakes in the San Francisco 49ers and Giants, and his production company, Franklin Mieuli & Associates, has been a long-standing and successful operation in the Bay Area for more than six decades.

Mieuli became a familiar face in Bay Area arenas during the 1960s and 1970s. He was rarely seen in public without one of his deerstalker caps.

Born on Sept. 14, 1920 in San Jose, Mieuli was the second son of Italian immigrants. His father, Giacomo, and older brother, Jack Jr., operated Navlet's Nursery, a successful business for many years in the Santa Clara Valley.

Mieuli studied advertising at the University of Oregon before serving a stint in the Navy during World War II. After completing his military duty, he returned to San Jose and the family nursery.

In 1949, he accepted a position in the advertising department of the San Francisco Brewing Company, makers of Burgermeister beer, which sponsored 49ers broadcasts.

His business relationship with 49ers owners Tony and Vic Morabito resulted in his purchase of 10 percent of that team in 1954, and he bought a share of the Giants when they moved West in 1958.

His company, Mieuli & Associates, soon acquired radio-TV production rights to the Giants and Warriors and engineered games for the A's and Raiders.

In 1962, Mieuli and 32 partners purchased the Warriors from Eddie Gottlieb for $850,000. He later became sole owner of the team. His administrative and business expertise eventually made him one of the NBA's most influential figures.

Mieuli operated in a kinder, gentler era in the NBA. He also operated in an environment that wasn't very profitable.

When the Warriors were in San Francisco, from 1962-71, they never really had an arena to call home, playing out of the Cow Palace and Auditorium and assorted other sites in Northern California before moving to the Oakland Coliseum Arena in 1971.

Even after the move to the East Bay, Mieuli considered dividing the Warriors' home schedule between Oakland and San Diego. The team did play a few games in San Diego, but Mieuli's heart was in the Bay Area, even though financial times were often tough here.

The underfunded Mieuli, saddled with high salaries to underproductive players like Joe Barry Carroll, sold his majority interest in the team to Fitzgerald, in 1986, for a reported $16-$19 million.

The high point of Mieuli's almost-quarter century as Warriors owner came in 1974-75, when the team won its only NBA title. As the Warriors were beating the Washington Bullets to wrap up the championship, Mieuli was in what he called "a delightful haze of animation."

Someone had to come up and tell him that he should be on his way to the dressing room for the championship celebration.

"But I didn't want to leave the arena, so I stayed in my seat as long as I could," he said. "Finally, I left and got in this queue that I thought was on the way to the locker room. Turned out it was on the way to the men's room. When I finally got to the locker room, everybody was still celebrating, but I'd missed the TV cameras and most of the champagne pouring."

Mieuli found a way to properly celebrate later. Rather than put the championship trophy in some glass case with a guard in front of it, Mieuli lugged it around in his Triumph convertible for a year, showing it off in bars or bistros.

"The car's back seat was too crowded for passengers but just right for the trophy," he said. "So I made it a people's trophy. More people touched it that year that I had it than ever before or since.

"I never worried about anyone stealing it. What would they want with a damned trophy, anyway?"

Mieuli was considered loyal to a fault, rarely making changes in his organization.

"People used to kid me that I ran the team like a family, and family wasn't a good word like it is now," he said. "Back then, it meant I ran the team like a mom and pop grocery store, but I was kind of proud of that.

"I never wanted to be a big shot. In the good times and the bad, I always tried to be the same."

$!$% Vertlieb, who died in 2008 and was general manager of that Warriors' championship team, once said Mieuli's approach worked perfectly at the time.

"This is no knock on anybody, but Franklin Mieuli is the only owner I ever worked for who was totally dedicated to winning and had total integrity when he said I could do anything - spend as much money, trade or sign anyone and do whatever was necessary - to get a team into the NBA finals," Vertlieb said. "I never met a person with the integrity of Franklin Mieuli.

"When I die, I want it to say on my tombstone, 'Franklin, I owe you one.'"

Mieuli is survived by his long-time companion, Blake Green, two children - son Peter Mieuli and daughter Holly Buchanan - and seven grandchildren. Funeral arrangements are pending.

^ Was surprised to see it wasn't posted earlier. RIP to Mieuli. Hopefully they do something for him when the season starts.

Anyone but Cleveland.

If the Cavs win, I'm avoiding this site for a solid week.

(If you're thinking, "damn, now I really want the Cavs to win," touche).

I wanted OKC to win.

Right now, im rooting for the Bulls and OKC to win. as long as the Cavs and Celtics dont win it, ill be happy.

Originally Posted by dland24

Real nice tribute to Mieuli tonight at the Giants game.
Is there somewhere I can watch it? Missed it, had work.
Originally Posted by Captain Charisma

So... when do the Warriors reveal their new uniforms?
I'm assuming draft day?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Originally Posted by dland24

Real nice tribute to Mieuli tonight at the Giants game.
Is there somewhere I can watch it? Missed it, had work.

I doubt it.  It was just a video/photo package on the jumbotron, with Renel talking about him...then a moment of silence.

NTL or anyone else who is Photoshop savvy, I got a Photoshop question...

When I'm using the "Pen Tool," how do I get rid of the black shading? It's covering up the image I'm trying to PS. Thanks.

BTW, I'm using PS CS3.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom