OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Originally Posted by reigndrop

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

thanks for all the help guys.

i don't need the money now or in the immediate future so i will hold. i believe the people running rim are pretty smart and will do fine with competition.

where do you guys go to read up on information regarding companies, their forecasts and earnings, stuff like that? i don't mind paying if it means getting good, detailed info.
Reuters, Bloomberg, Yahoo Finance; no need to get fancy.

are there particular things you look for when reading financial articles and reports?

i'm still not even familiar with some terms and acronyms. thanks for your advice.

Best way to learn is to read these articles, and google anything you don't understand.  Also, each company has their own perspective on certain events, you're looking for the whole picture.

I would recommend the WSJ or FT, but that's going to cost you.

As far as terms, I've had a book called Barron's Dictionary of Finance and Investment Terms for the last 10 years. It was huge in helping me learn the lingo. But Google can also be pretty helpful.

As far as learning how to make choices, you've got to read some books or articles on how to invest and what you should be looking for in the financials and the strategy. The financials are easy to learn, there's probably only 8-10 numbers that you will look at to make a decision. I pretty much only look at P/E ratio, Revenue, Net Income, Market Cap, and 52 week high and lows to make a finacial decision.

Strategy is the hard part. You look at a company like Nike, are they really poised to grow substantially in the next few years? Yeah they have their market, but if you feel like 20% more people are going to buy Nikes next year or they can raise their prices substantially without losing customers, then it might be a good investment. If you feel like the company is going to be stagnant and not find ways to increase their revenue and earnings, then it might not be the best choice.  

Good luck, man. I think it's a great time to get in the game.  

The sell off was fixated to help save the US's +$!. It was so blatant, but most people didn't see this. While there were those that actually believed the sell off was because of over-bought conditions, smarter bottom feeders took their chances, thus the intra-day low bounce came to place. And while some just watched it, some took this opportunity to buy the dips. Watching John Terranova act and talk smart is quite funny, but oh well.

Anyhow, I don't doubt the 'fact', that we will see 1200, and get over 11K, but there are those that have bet HEAVY HEAVY SHORT on this, and this is probably why.

The bigger picture points to the lackluster cloudy statements from the FEDS. While it sounds intellectual, it has basically created debt to stall time, so that the US can find ways to 'fine' counterparts, and find new ways for taxation.

----

Just my 2 cents. I enjoy staring at Maria, but her teeth and age is getting to me.

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

Strategy is the hard part. You look at a company like Nike, are they really poised to grow substantially in the next few years? Yeah they have their market, but if you feel like 20% more people are going to buy Nikes next year or they can raise their prices substantially without losing customers, then it might be a good investment. If you feel like the company is going to be stagnant and not find ways to increase their revenue and earnings, then it might not be the best choice. 
this is pretty important actually...it's not hard to pick a stock that is going to make you some money...but it's much more challenging to consistently find firms that are going to earn you above the market returns.  numbers tell you about the past/current state of the company, but they can't always be used to predict future performance.

the numbers can only tell you so much...it's also important to really know the firm...it's all about growth, so what is the firm doing to make sure they have continued growth?  whether that be implementing new businesses, penetrating new markets, etc.

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

Just my 2 cents. I enjoy staring at Maria, but her teeth and age is getting to me.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by awon23

What do you guys feel about UNG?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pimp.gif
Anybody?
I'm looking at it on my terminal and it looks to be a downward channel.  You have a couple choices, short it and follow the trend, or wait for a breakout and go long.

From a fundamental perspective, there's simply too much supply compared to demand, which is why prices are falling a little bit everyday.

What do you guys feel about UNG?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pimp.gif
Anybody?
I'm looking at it on my terminal and it looks to be a downward channel.  You have a couple choices, short it and follow the trend, or wait for a breakout and go long.

From a fundamental perspective, there's simply too much supply compared to demand, which is why prices are falling a little bit everyday.
Thanks for the help man. I think I'm gonna hold on to it for a little longer and see what happens.

F'ing PALM again..
eek.gif
eek.gif

I was gonna get in too just so i could balance out my loses, but too late now..
smh.gif
smh.gif

chico - what's your take on JOEZ, looks like a nice entry point around 2.75? will it go that low today in your opinion?

it's touching 14 day mma and RSI is around 55 so it's not overbought anymore

there's alot of hype on this and i know u mentioned it here a few months ago but now i'm taking some interest to it

strong financials with no debt ..new store openings with internal cash

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

F'ing PALM again..
eek.gif
eek.gif

I was gonna get in too just so i could balance out my loses, but too late now..
smh.gif
smh.gif
eek.gif
you've got to be kidding?!  PALM playing games.

Anyways, FBP all over the place this week.

chico - what's your take on JOEZ? its near 14mma and RSI is no longer overbought

big sell off even tho they met street expecations for the most part

internal growth and expansion without debt

started a position today after a 16% drop in price

Originally Posted by teddy jam

chico - what's your take on JOEZ? its near 14mma and RSI is no longer overbought

big sell off even tho they met street expecations for the most part

internal growth and expansion without debt

started a position today after a 16% drop in price

Are you looking for short term trade or few months out? I feel that at no matter what price you buy in now, you'll be sitting pretty a few months out. It had a nice run this past week in expectation of earnings. Lately, there have been many institutions buying into this. They don't care about the short term because this is a long term hold for them. There are couple things they're not doing: 1. Playing the technicals. 2. Buying to take a loss over the next few months/years.

I see AIG on there also.

2d9bsqg.png

if the hype is true then i don't have a time frame in mind and will continue to ride it if it keeps ticking up

i can easily hold for a few months, if not longer

on forums, they say it might touch 2.50 ..i will avg down if it goes that low but i think today is a pretty good start to a position

I didn't buy any today. Daily charts seem like it still has some more room to go down. It doesn't necessarily have to though. Large institutions can keep that from happening. It bounced off the 20ma (2.80) today. Not sure if there are options available for this one.

Please do you own DD before getting into any picks. I've made a bundle off JOEZ and it wouldn't hurt if I lost a few G's.

i'm always skeptical of clothing brands though...especially like a JOEZ since demand can go from through the roof to total crap in such a short period of time since it's so trendy.

W/ any trash stocks, even if it were to trend, it can gap in the opposite direction hard enough to make a dent in your account.

Down nearly 16%, umm yeah, what in heaven on earth did you read or feel to warrant such activity?

colossal week in the markets this week - treasury budget, international trade, gdp, inflation, oil/gas reports, consumer sentiment, housing, retail sales

it will be interesting to see how all these reports coincide with each other and if it will solidfy the direction we are heading in

Anyone think its a good time to get into PALM?

any other recs? a bit new to this, wana start off cheap and work my way up.

Originally Posted by BangDak

Trading PALM and investing in PALM are two different things. If you're investing in PALM, I'd look into other options. If you're trading Palm. There's a wedge forming on the intraday. Look for a breakout of that if the overall market gives you the green light. I wouldn't get in if you can't day trade though.

At the end of the day, all stocks move in variations of the overall market. PALM isn't anything special IMO.

Well with all the econ data coming out we will automatically go up so buy sso and spy calls haha. I've been doing well only buy those in 2010.

Originally Posted by BangDak

I'd say its a bit late now. Look at the run its had in the past few days. I'm in for 1k shares @ 4.81 when I noticed the huge volume few days back. I've got a trailing stop set in case it goes the other way to lock in some profit. PALM was way oversold and it could be an over reaction or shorts covering.

Back
Top Bottom