OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

LVS
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

hey guys, i have a question i'd like some insight on. i've been trying to read some stuff on the website but it's not really helping. hope i can get some insight from the ballers in this thread.

basically, a couple years ago i bought 70 shares of RIMM at $126 a share, hoping it would hit $160. from there, it went to $134 then dropped allll the way down to $35. i bought about 200 shares at $35 and sold the 200 shares at $65. now the stock is hovering around the high 60's.

basically, with all this smartphone competition and RIMM really lagging behind, is it safe for me to HOLD my initial 70 shares or just sell it right now and take the L?

i'm torn because on one hand, i believe that RIMM is a very smart company and can get things done to get back to the #1 spot in the smart phone market. on the other hand, i do have my doubts and i don't want them going the route motorola did and hit $10 a share.

advice?

What is your current position.  What you did previously doesn't matter.

sorry but i don't understand what you mean by my current position. i have 70 shares of it right now.

Looking to take profit on LVS tomorrow morning if this rally has some more legs. My F did ok today. Want it to dip more to load up.

Edit: JOEZ
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I should've held all my shares from $1.74.

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

hey guys, i have a question i'd like some insight on. i've been trying to read some stuff on the website but it's not really helping. hope i can get some insight from the ballers in this thread.

basically, a couple years ago i bought 70 shares of RIMM at $126 a share, hoping it would hit $160. from there, it went to $134 then dropped allll the way down to $35. i bought about 200 shares at $35 and sold the 200 shares at $65. now the stock is hovering around the high 60's.

basically, with all this smartphone competition and RIMM really lagging behind, is it safe for me to HOLD my initial 70 shares or just sell it right now and take the L?

i'm torn because on one hand, i believe that RIMM is a very smart company and can get things done to get back to the #1 spot in the smart phone market. on the other hand, i do have my doubts and i don't want them going the route motorola did and hit $10 a share.

advice?

What is your current position.  What you did previously doesn't matter.

sorry but i don't understand what you mean by my current position. i have 70 shares of it right now.
At what price though?

RIMM was weak today, on an up day w/ strong techs going up, RIMM was weak, this is NOT A GOOD SIGN.

Right now, RIMM is in free fall.  I don't know your time frame, cash position, nor goals.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

LVS
pimp.gif
mad.gif
I'm mad I didn't start a position on them a while ago.  I've been watching them for a minute, but was too shook.
laugh.gif
  I guess scared money really don't make no money.  Anyways to those that do have LVS
pimp.gif
.  Also when the hell did dndn run up to mid 30s?  I remember watching this stock a year or 2 ago and they were sitting under $10.

advice?

You should've sold when you noticed it tanking or have a GTC stop set. Just last week, it got hit because revenue was less than expected, however forecast was raised:

For the current quarter, the company said it expects earnings to come in between $1.31-$1.38 per share. Analysts were expecting $1.23 per share. Revenue for the May quarter are expected to come in the range of $4.25 billion and $4.45 billion. Analysts were expecting $4.3 billion. The company said it expects to add between 4.9 million and 5.2 million net new subscribers.

It was then followed by a downgrade from GS:
"Research in Motion downgraded to Sell from Neutral at Goldman. Goldman downgraded Research in Motion to Sell following the company's Q4 report. Shares are down in pre-open trade 6%, or -$4.47, to $69.50. Target to $65"

This is one of the tactics they use: Downgrade a stock and load up themselves. I honestly don't expect it to reach $126 anytime soon. If you don't need the funds, I'd hold it and average down. If you're worried about it ending up like Motorola, take the loss and move on to the next trade. I am looking at $58 and $55 to get shares. Doubt it'll get THAT low though.

thanks for all the help guys.

i don't need the money now or in the immediate future so i will hold. i believe the people running rim are pretty smart and will do fine with competition.

where do you guys go to read up on information regarding companies, their forecasts and earnings, stuff like that? i don't mind paying if it means getting good, detailed info.

IMHO RIM will not do well. As soon as news came out of a Verizon iPhone share prices have consistently dropped on a daily basis. A majority of BB users have said they will drop the BB and switch the VZ iPhone. (The new Android phones aren't helping either). If anything I would sell and buy again when the time is right if you really like the stock.

LVS guys, what made you get in when everyone thought the world was falling? Was it when Sheldon Adelson bought a bunch of stock around 3? I saw that but didn't have the liquid funds to get in on that SMH X 1000.

Originally Posted by CjMoney

LVS guys, what made you get in when everyone thought the world was falling? Was it when Sheldon Adelson bought a bunch of stock around 3? I saw that but didn't have the liquid funds to get in on that SMH X 1000.

I started playing LVS when it was in the 9's, but I know someone who is holding shares from the mid 2's. Lucky sob. LVS is extremely volatile as it has high short interest...perfect swing trade candidate.

wish i woulda gotten in on CRBC...had a limit play when it was .94, but it didn't come down to my .90
frown.gif

chico/fishy/anyone else, can u do some basic tech analysis for a canadian stock

WTN.TO if u use stockcharts.com

just looking for an entry point..it's gone up quite a bit since feb and it's near the mid-high of the upper BB  (it may be a bit hard to define a clear range,as it's been recently added to the TSX exchange, so there's been alot of vol that has driven this thing up)

smh i saw this at 3.00 as well
tired.gif

i don't need the money now or in the immediate future so i will hold. i believe the people running rim are pretty smart and will do fine with competition.

where do you guys go to read up on information regarding companies, their forecasts and earnings, stuff like that? i don't mind paying if it means getting good, detailed info.
Reuters, Bloomberg, Yahoo Finance; no need to get fancy.

Originally Posted by teddy jam

just looking for an entry point..it's gone up quite a bit since feb and it's near the mid-high of the upper BB  (it may be a bit hard to define a clear range,as it's been recently added to the TSX exchange, so there's been alot of vol that has driven this thing up)

tired.gif
i'd be patient and try to get it a little closer to the 50 day moving average (which is 2 bucks less but still get it on a dip).

tired.gif

When it busted through 3.20 resistance on high volume, that was your signal to get in. Now it is extremely overbought, but daily ADX says trend is strong. Daily MACD looks like it wants to rollover and downtick on the histogram. Wait till it finds support before getting in though. It has run into resistance on the weekly charts though near 6.45. Wait for confirmation.

All IMO.

Originally Posted by LiLcHiCo4LiFe

tired.gif

When it busted through 3.20 resistance on high volume, that was your signal to get in. Now it is extremely overbought, but daily ADX says trend is strong. Daily MACD looks like it wants to rollover and downtick on the histogram. Wait till it finds support before getting in though. It has run into resistance on the weekly charts though near 6.45. Wait for confirmation.

All IMO.
so when looking at the adx on this chart, the adx is at 59.5 which shows very strong trend (>40?).  i'm not really sure about the verbiage but from what i've read on the macd, once the black crosses the red would be a signal to buy (i'm using stock charts.com).  can you explain what you mean when you say "rollover and downtick on the histogram"?  thanks

also, what kind of support price do you see..i see a recent one of about 5.75?

i know it's overbought but i don't see it reaching 50 day mma anytime soon..analysts have this as an outperforming stock and performing very well and the buzz is nice

Do you guys look at insider stock purchases for any investing ideas?  I was checking that out and EPB and FBC looked like they had some big insider purchases and I check the charts (with the little I know) and they looked decent, what do you guys think?

Originally Posted by reigndrop

are there particular things you look for when reading financial articles and reports?

i'm still not even familiar with some terms and acronyms. thanks for your advice.

Originally Posted by reigndrop

are there particular things you look for when reading financial articles and reports?

i'm still not even familiar with some terms and acronyms. thanks for your advice.

Best way to learn is to read these articles, and google anything you don't understand.  Also, each company has their own perspective on certain events, you're looking for the whole picture.

I would recommend the WSJ or FT, but that's going to cost you.

Originally Posted by Blazinbama

Originally Posted by LiLcHiCo4LiFe

tired.gif

All IMO.
so when looking at the adx on this chart, the adx is at 59.5 which shows very strong trend (>40?).  i'm not really sure about the verbiage but from what i've read on the macd, once the black crosses the red would be a signal to buy (i'm using stock charts.com).  can you explain what you mean when you say "rollover and downtick on the histogram"?  thanks

Should be used in conjuction with other t/a tools. What I mean by macd rollover is by looking at the macd, it is about to make a bearish moving average crossover. You can anticipate a bearish moving average crossover by the macd histogram. A downtick or bearish divergence in the histogram indicates the macd is weakening and foreshadows a bearish moving average crossover.

Back
Top Bottom