:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [1-1 @Rams 9/22 1:25PST]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Starting to think the Niners want Kap to start the season.Regardless of what all these writers have been saying the last few weeks. With all the extra reps Gabbert has had from OTA's to mini camp, the two pre-season games, it still isn't enough for the team to go all in on Gabbert. The fans seem to want Kap, they have the money investment in him, i think they want to see if he can show a little bit of glimpse of what he has shown in the past. Especially with Chip, the new offense, and this drastically improved O-line. At the same time if they go with Kap one last time and he fails, they can bench him again, go with Gabbert and then proceed get rid of him for once and for all and not have to worry about what if's.He played a few games last year with that bum shoulder ( not to mention the bum O-line) which obviously didnt help his performance on the field and I think they may be giving him the benefit of the doubt as far as not losing the starting job because of injury. If Kap has a just even a good game not a great game tomorrow, i think we'll start seeing different stories from the beat writers.... Just my 2 cents.
Agreed.  The fact that Kaepernick hasnt seen the field and has had shoulder fatigue or whatever they reported, and Gabbert STILL hasnt been named the starter is very telling.  I think people who are saying Gabbert is distancing himself from Kap because Kap hasnt played are being incredibly naive.

Agreed.  The fact that Kaepernick hasnt seen the field and has had shoulder fatigue or whatever they reported, and Gabbert STILL hasnt been named the starter is very telling.  I think people who are saying Gabbert is distancing himself from Kap because Kap hasnt played are being incredibly naive.

Exactly. Gabbert still not being named the started says a whole lot. Writers can be biased and I think theyre writing stories based on who/what they like.

good article
 [h1]Trent Brown's emergence is morphing 49ers offensive line[/h1]
Whenever the 49ers played musical chairs along the offensive line over the past few seasons, it hasn’t been for the best of reasons.

Sliding Marcus Martin inside to center or shuffling Erik Pears between tackle and guard aren’t strategic improvements so much as they are last-ditch survival efforts — efforts that failed miserably in 2015.

After the unexpected return of Anthony Davis this offseason there seemed to be two polarizing schools of though:

1. This guy’s been out for a year and smack-talked the organization. He’s done.

2. We have our starting right tackle back!

Nobody could’ve foreseen Davis’ voluntary move to right guard, and one that improved the overall quality of the 49ers’ line rather than patching up a deficiency, no less. For that, thank 23-year-old Trent Brown, whose emergence as a starting-caliber tackle is perhaps the most important improvement to the 49ers roster that has arisen during training camp.

“I think some of what’s going on with Trent is I think Trent is realizing his abilities and understanding how successful he can be at this game,” said 49ers coach Chip Kelly.

“From a coach standpoint, it’s awesome to see. It’s watching him kind of mature and grow and get better and better. It’s pretty cool to see from that standpoint, but a lot of it, the credit goes to Trent because of what he’s invested in himself.”

Davis’ move inside to accommodate Brown’s rising talent will displace Andrew Tiller, Zane Beadles or Joshua Garnett along the starter five. By transitive property, that implies San Francisco’s coaching staff finds Brown more valuable as a starter at tackle than any of the three guards, since they simply could’ve left Davis at tackle and let those guards compete to start while Brown provided depth as a ‘swing’ tackle.

That’s an impressive jump for a 2015 seventh rounder that wasn’t even a lock to make the roster over Pears a month ago.

Brown started the final two games for the 49ers in 2015 and looked promising while doing it. What he’s accomplished over the offseason though, is a cut above what his play projected.

His attention to conditioning and managing his weight during the summer gave him the tenacity to shoulder the workload of Chip Kelly’s up-tempo offense. Add that to the largest frame on the 49ers roster (6-foot-8, 355 pounds), and you can wave goodbye to the team’s most glaring hole from last year in the right tackle position.

“He’s been doing a tremendous job,” said quarterback Blaine Gabbert. “The way he’s approached the summer program, coming into training camp, the first two preseason games has been tremendous. He’s been playing his tail off and he’s such a young player, he’s only going to continue to get better. He’s been doing a heck-of-a job.”

What was once a scramble to hide poor play or bandage injuries along the offensive line is now luxuriously considered versatility in San Francisco. It all starts with Brown’s ascension, and the 49ers offensive line could jump from the bottom of the NFL to one that catalyzes a surprising offense in Kelly’s first season.
trent brown gets his hands on you, and it's a wrap. the best part is he's just scratching the surface. he can be so much better.  #themountain 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
wait take that back receiving core is suspect as ****, just run for ur life kaep
there's going to be some players available via trade or cuts once rosters start getting trimmed down. stay tuned. 
nerd.gif

i like bruce, smelter and d-white, but smelter hasn't even hit the field.
mean.gif
 smelter has the prototypical chain-mover qualities that compliment the skill sets of the other two. hope he hits the field soon.

Smelter  (hamstring) -- who was held out of Saturday's game -- is not a candidate to be placed on injured reserve to start the season, CSN Bay Area reports.

The fact that GM Trent Baalke has definitely stated that Smelter will not land on IR indicates that he is nearing a return to the field. A hamstring strain has cost him valuable playing time during the preseason, and his status as a deep sleeper looks less and less likely due to the injury. If Smelter were to play Friday and have a standout performance, he could quickly elevate himself up the depth chart with several lackluster options ahead of him.

Last edited:
i wonder if the fins would listen to offers for devante parker. seems like his role has diminished with landry and stills playing good football. i was not that big on him coming out college, but i remember a couple people in here were.

site note: jarvis landry is everything i thought he would be. i wanted this dude to be a niner so bad. dude is an absolute baller.

Last edited:
Was reading an article about the situation. Sheesh.... :lol: has there been a rookie in recent time that has held out as long as Bosa and/or the whole season? :nerd:

right, but @22stylez
 asked if a player has held out this long, and yes, one of our very own recent players indeed has.

Bosa's holdout isnt even that long yet.  There have been plenty of players who have held out as long as him.  God the Chargers front office is a joke.  Almost makes me appreciate Jed.  Almost.

He held out so long it caused the Jets to get punished for tampering :lol:

If I recall correctly, then Vikings rookie O-lineman Bryant McKinnie back in 2002 or 2003 held out alllllllll the way to like Week 8 of the regular season before he finally signed :wow: :rofl:

Edit: http://articles.philly.com/2002-11-...yant-mckinnie-98-day-holdout-agents-ben-dogra

Last edited:
Yeah Joey Bosa is a major *****, considering he was already offered: 

» "An initial signing bonus payment that is larger than any player in the League has received in the last two drafts."

» "More money in this calendar year than every player in this year's draft except one (QB Carson Wentz)."

» "The largest payment and the highest percentage of signing bonus received in the first calendar year of any Chargers' first-round selection since the inception of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (2011)."

As bad as the situation in SD is right now they should roast his *** on principle, retract their offer, make his *** sit the whole 2016 season, and have him re-enter the draft next year, what round do you think he would fall to? 5th?  
laugh.gif

Like who does this ***** really think he is? SD already offered him a boatload considering the fact that he is just another unproven rookie college star who may turn out to be the next Jamarcus Russel, David Carr, Ryan Leaf, etc. 

Glad this entitled little ***** isn't our problem! Buckner is gonna be a stud Bosa is gonna be lucky if his career survives this holdout. 

I heard it's the offset language that Bosa's agent wants removed from the contract or pay the entire bonus upfront. I get it, but if Bosa flops this year does anyone really think SD will cut him after year one?

Yeah Joey Bosa is a major *****, considering he was already offered: 

» "An initial signing bonus payment that is larger than any player in the League has received in the last two drafts."

» "More money in this calendar year than every player in this year's draft except one (QB Carson Wentz)."

» "The largest payment and the highest percentage of signing bonus received in the first calendar year of any Chargers' first-round selection since the inception of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (2011)."

As bad as the situation in SD is right now they should roast his *** on principle, retract their offer, make his *** sit the whole 2016 season, and have him re-enter the draft next year, what round do you think he would fall to? 5th?  
laugh.gif

Like who does this ***** really think he is? SD already offered him a boatload considering the fact that he is just another unproven rookie college star who may turn out to be the next Jamarcus Russel, David Carr, Ryan Leaf, etc. 

Glad this entitled little ***** isn't our problem! Buckner is gonna be a stud Bosa is gonna be lucky if his career survives this holdout. 
Couldnt possibly disagree with this any more than I do.  Well....aside from the fact that we have Buckner.  I agree with you on that.   The Chargers are 100% the ones at fault here, not Bosa. 

Anyone putting any stock in what Ahmad Brooks said about Kaepernick?  Kinda goes hand in hand with the idea that the competition is still wide open, regardless of Gabbert's "lead."

this type of praise from staley is pretty significant #themountain
[h1]Staley: 49ers RT Brown could be one of best in NFL history[/h1]
SANTA CLARA – Enormous. Colossal. Mountainous. Brobdingnagian.

There are an endless number of words that describe how 6 foot 8, 355-pound Trent Brown stands out even among a group of unusually large men like the 49ers offensive line.

But nobody could have guessed the three words offensive line coach Pat Flaherty blurted out in practice that would become the right tackle’s nickname: Big Soup Bone.

It’s unusual, for sure, but the linemen have fun with it. At least one of them foresees a time when Brown is called three other words: greatest lineman ever.

“I don’t throw this around lightly, he can be as good as anyone in the NFL that’s ever been,” left tackle Joe Staley said from in front of his locker this week. “You see him and you think Jonathan Ogden, the plays that he would make when he was playing. He’s got a ways to go before he’s there, but he has all the talent to be Jonathan Ogden-esque.”

It is high praise, comparing a second-year player with only two NFL starts to a Hall of Famer, especially coming from a five-time Pro Bowler. Brown spent the offseason enhancing his natural talents of big body power and speed with improved conditioning, footwork and technique. Staley is just one of many in Santa Clara who noticed the results.

“For being that big and being able to run the way he can, it’s impressive,” quarterback Blaine Gabbert said. "The way he’s approached the summer program, coming into training camp, the first two preseason games have been tremendous. He’s been playing his tail off, and he’s such a young player, he’s only going to continue to get better.”

“I think Trent is realizing his abilities and understanding how successful he can be at this game,” said head coach Chip Kelly. “From a coach standpoint, it’s awesome to see.”

Anthony Davis’ move to right guard in practices suggests Brown has secured the starting right tackle position heading into the third preseason game. Davis has said he suggested the switch even though his 71 career starts have all come at right tackle.

“He gives me pointers all the time. I just listen,” Brown said. “This is the same guy a year ago I was looking forward to playing behind and getting tips from, so he’s here now, and he sees something in me, so I’m just trying to get better everyday and listen to him.”

Staley remembers a practice last week against Denver where on a backside play, Brown took the linebacker 10 yards downfield and then threw him. Staley cannot remember a play where Brown has been beaten one-on-one in pass rush. For Brown to take that next step in becoming one of the game’s top linemen, Staley says he must learn how to do those things consistently.

“[It] can’t just be when he feels like it, when he’s feeling good. It’s got to be third quarter when we’re on a 10-play drive. He’s got to be able to go the same on that 10-play drive as he did on the second play of the game,” Staley said.

“If he doesn’t take that step he has no one to blame but himself. He’s incredibly talented. Pretty excited to see where his career goes.”

As for Brown, the 23-year-old is pretty excited about where his young career is at the moment.

“I’m having as much fun right now as I’ve ever had playing football,” Brown said. “I haven’t really had fun playing football since I left junior college.”

Big Soup Bone. Maybe that nickname does make sense for Brown. They both need to simmer awhile in order to release their full flavor.

Last edited:
2nd alone is too rich for me for a man that is one transgression away from being out of the league.

IMO, nahhh. 
No thanks. It's not even guarantee Gordon is clean for good. I'd rather sit on our draft picks and see who can emerge in chips offense. Hoping Bruce or Smelter steps up man. I was talking to a dude at the bar last night during the Giants game and he was telling me Torrey Smith can have a big year based off of chips success with Maclin in Philly.

Game day fellas. Hope Kaep balls the **** out today. Really loving our line. If Garnett can step up in that guard position he can be our replacement we've been missing since Iupati

Back
Top Bottom