***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Never been a fan of loan forgiveness. Them loans your problem. At least make them interest free and forgive the interest on them. In the end they should payed what they took 1:1.
Nah, loan forgiveness is smart on many levels

Also, we just gave billions aways in bailouts for companies for the supposed good of the economy. Why can't regular citizens benefit from such policy.

These "they gotta pay it back" arguments are kinda weak in the grand scheme of things. Maybe if society didn't let the cost of college hyperinflate for ******** reasons, or put pressure on students to get needless college degrees I would see some appeal of the "they must pay it back argument"

We always talk about the choices students made, but we never discuss the policy choices counties, states, the country, and employers pushed for that help bring about the current situation.

This massive amount of student debt is a macroeconomic failure that society let happen. And forgiving the debt is a nice way demand-side way to stimulate the economy.

Last edited:

Also, we just gave billions aways in bailouts for companies for the supposed good of the economy.

This bootstraps argument is weak as hell in the grand scheme of things. Maybe if society didn't let the cost of college hyperinflate for bull**** reasons, or put pressure on students to get needless college degrees I would see some appeal of the "they must pay it back argument"

We always talk about the choices students made, but we never discuss the policy choices counties, states, the country, and employers pushed for that help bring about the current situation.

But this massive amount of student debt is a macroeconomic failure that society let happen. And forgiving the debt is a nice way to stimulate the economy.

yeah people are looking at this like its a bad thing. Truth of the matter is more people being able to pay for basic **** means more spending, your housing prices go up (good if you already own a place), companies make more, hopefully companies return some of that back to their works which should in turn lead to increased tax revenues at a federal and state level, and less poverty.

People complaining about this but not about the 3.3T we just spent on the Cares Act to stimulate a bunch of dying businesses are part of the problem.

Also, we just gave billions aways in bailouts for companies for the supposed good of the economy. Why can't regular citizens benefit from such policy.

These "they gotta pay it back" arguments are kinda weak in the grand scheme of things. Maybe if society didn't let the cost of college hyperinflate for bull**** reasons, or put pressure on students to get needless college degrees I would see some appeal of the "they must pay it back argument"

But this massive amount of student debt is a macroeconomic failure that society let happen. And forgiving the debt is a nice way demand side way to stimulate the economy.

yea I hear you I never had loans so I don’t know the pain my wife had em and paid them. I feel if you are currently on payment sure if you defaulted you should become home to statement not interest to receive the forgiveness.

im Not here for I just stop paying crowed. If you paying u planed to finish and I can respect that. If you couldn’t and provide details why not sure.

I hate means testing most things but the amount of people bragging hey I’m glad I stop paying folks is sicking.

Giving a teenager 5 and 6 figure loan debt before their brain is even fully developed probably isn’t the best business model. I had no real concept of money when I went to college. Luckily I went to state college, had some scholarship money, and had grandparents that covered the rest. I was extremely lucky it turned out like that and I didn’t end up with that burden following me around. A lot of my friends ended up with “Da Porsche money” worth of loans and no real plan to pay it off.

Never understood why ppl are so worried about someone else's pockets when it came to student debt cancelation

You paid yours off? That great. Someone will have a chance to be relieved of theirs? Good for them. **** doesn't affect you in any way besides your feelings

Student loan debt forgiveness is a huge positive if it's put into place by Biden. The idea that you should be punished for a decision you made as a high school student is asinine. A large percentage of people who need loans for college come from under privileged families where the parents didn't go to college and don't understand the financial implications that come with a federal or private student loan. And an 18 year old kid isn't gonna understand things like compound interest or anything else you learn at 25 that you wouldn't know back then. We got grown *** Americans who didn't vote for Biden because they don't know how marginal tax rate works

Never understood why ppl are so worried about someone else's pockets when it came to student debt cancelation

You paid yours off? That great. Someone will have a chance to be relieved of theirs? Good for them. **** doesn't affect you in any way besides your feelings

Exactly. I already paid mine off, but this should theoretically be good for me as more people should be able to afford homes which will make my house more valuable.

Student loan debt forgiveness is a huge positive if it's put into place by Biden. The idea that you should be punished for a decision you made as a high school student is asinine. A large percentage of people who need loans for college come from under privileged families where the parents didn't go to college and don't understand the financial implications that come with a federal or private student loan. And an 18 year old kid isn't gonna understand things like compound interest or anything else you learn at 25 that you wouldn't know back then. We got grown *** Americans who didn't vote for Biden because they don't know how marginal tax rate works

Exactly. I signed a bunch of my loans when I was 17 and had never even taken out a loan before. They sent me the loan documentation to me when I paid off my loans and you could tell I had no idea what the hell I was doing. There were like 3 different loan options, fixed, variable, jumbo. I at one point checked all three because I didn't know the difference.

Never been a fan of loan forgiveness. Them loans your problem. At least make them interest free and forgive the interest on them. In the end they should payed what they took 1:1.
As Black people have been historically denied access to equal education, job ownership and homeownership, I wholeheartedly disagree with this notion and think it’s actually oppressive to Black people. Black people are graduating with far more debt than white counterparts and the value of a college degree is decreasing. This is a bipartisan issue that should easily get a lot of support, along with reforming the cost of secondary education in general. It’s not sustainable.

Not to mention education is just too expensive.

A-*******-men. Selfish people been holding back others forever. Time for these deplorables to realize helping others doesnt harm you. But they probably never paid attention during philosophy 201 or anything to realize why utilitarianism is better for society and the individuals within that society, than any Randian philosophy the GOP shoved down their throats outside the classroom.

Forgiving loans for a valid reason is one thing, but just because people don' t want to pay is another. Everyone who took out a student loan knew that it had to be paid back and now so many think for some reason that they should not have to. I think the idea of basically handing out collage degrees to a bunch of people for free is not the answer. Why not forgive auto and credit card loans while we are at it?

You want to help people who really need it and boost the economy and spending how about we finally do something about this
1604946843313.png

Same reason people were crying foul when folks on unemployment were getting that additional $600.

tenor.gif

Giving a teenager 5 and 6 figure loan debt before their brain is even fully developed probably isn’t the best business model. I had no real concept of money when I went to college. Luckily I went to state college, had some scholarship money, and had grandparents that covered the rest. I was extremely lucky it turned out like that and I didn’t end up with that burden following me around. A lot of my friends ended up with “Da Porsche money” worth of loans and no real plan to pay it off.

I guess I was lucky and raised by Spanish-father.
I never wanted to take money out for school so I went to a small school in state
Then had grants and the HOPE scholarships here in GA paid for your education as long as it a was a public school.

My daughters and my older son have 2 options stay in a public in state school where we Will pay and or provide support, Or leave out of state and pay for it on ur own. It’s stupid to leave state for a basic undergraduate degree, with no emphasis or launch to a graduate program in the same school.

I saw college as a business take what you can before it takes it from you. I will admit I was lucky and my family taught me finance from a young age.

my kids will be given those options business options. I don’t care what degree they get but they will need to understand STEM is the future if you want a lib arts degree you need to think long and hard if that can pay for the life you grew up with.

Forgiving loans for a valid reason is one thing, but just because people don' t want to pay is another. Everyone who took out a student loan knew that it had to be paid back and now so many think for some reason that they should not have to. I think the idea of basically handing out collage degrees to a bunch of people for free is not the answer. Why not forgive auto and credit card loans while we are at it?

You want to help people who really need it and boost the economy and spending how about we finally do something about this
1604946843313.png

medical bills are private problems so the government can’t help much.

how about we get a damn public option and some universal health care and then you have solutions. We been trying to do something about this fam.

Back
Top Bottom