***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Famb, I am pointing you one criticism you had, about Harris' overarching ambition to become president, and she then triangulated positions to get to that place. If that is the charge, Pete is guilty of the same thing. Dude is a mayor from a small town, in his 30s, and decided he wanted to be president. And he pretty much adopted the median policy platform to run on.

Harris probably didn't hit on a massive core issue like Pete did, but she did have important points about how we ignore some of the drivers of mass inceratation, and how the tax code is built to reinforce inequality. So Pete's good points make up for his naked ambition, but for Harris it doesn't?

Now Pete was dead one in his criticism of how broken our electoral process was. But he also flipped from trying to present himself as progressive, to trying to president himself as a centrist. He didn't campaign enough in the deep South or try to build a black support base, instead spending most of this time is lilly *** Iowa with the same tired "economic anxiety" message because he thought that would build him momentum.

Their campaigns were different levels of fail. I will agree though, Kamala's was a bigger fail. Sure Pete ran a better campaign all things considered, sure Harris made mistakes, but she was also punished more for them because she was a black woman.

But somehow you don't have a problem with Pete's naked ambition, but for Harris it was a problem. So that is funny to me, like the criticism is whatever, but coming from a Pete supporter it doesn't come off as a principled objection.

nah nah nah you miss understand me. I don't care about Kamala's ambition, all these people are insanely ambitious, it's a basically prerequisite for seeking the presidency.

Im just saying that Kamala comes off as more craven than the average politician, similar to Mitt Romney when he first ran for president. im sure some of that perception is impacted by being a black woman of course...

but I think like Mitt Romney I think some of it is of her own making. It's like I've been saying, just be a cop, when she tries to not be a cop she comes off as insincere

and that insincerity comes off *** ambition for ambitions sake.

nah nah nah you miss understand me. I don't care about Kamala's ambition, all these people are insanely ambitious, it's a basically prerequisite for seeking the presidency.

Im just saying that Kamala comes off as more craven than the average politician, similar to Mitt Romney when he first ran for president. im sure some of that perception is impacted by being a black woman of course...

but I think like Mitt Romney I think some of it is of her own making. It's like I've been saying, just be a cop, when she tries to not be a cop she comes off as insincere

I still think your general analysis could apply to as well Pete, coming off as insincere

But fair enough

Last edited:
I still think your general analysis could apply to as well Pete, coming off as insincere

But fair enough

I think his transition to moderate def came off as insincere,

but I look at that as the only move to make in race with a crowded progressive lane.

Kamala managed her flip flops way worse imo. Just judging from the post mortems of her campaign it doesn't seem like her **** was well run.

I think his transition to moderate def came off as insincere,

but I look at that as the only move to make in race with a crowded progressive lane.

Kamala managed her flip flops way worse imo. Just judging from the post mortems of her campaign it doesn't seem like her **** was well run.
Yeah, I won't defend her mistakes. Her campaign management was a ****show.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with some family members over the weekend.

We need to get away from using sincerity as a metric to vet candidates. Partly because it's so subjective (as a black man from Northern California, I actually find Kamala very sincere on issues of racial and economic injustice - it's so obvious to me that she truly gets it).

It creates this facade of criticism that really lacks substance. An argument can be made against the sincerity of any politician. People we support, sincere, people we don't support, insincere and ulterior motives.

It needs to take a backseat to the analysis of candidates understanding of issues and their ability to come up with favorable policy and coalition.

Ultimately all this political tactics probably doesn't matter because most people aren't paying attention to any of this.

I probably lost sight of that.

Im paying close attention so Kamala seems like a boring pointless pick but for most normal people they probably just found out who Kamala Harris was lol.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with some family members over the weekend.

We need to get away from using sincerity as a metric to vet candidates. Partly because it's so subjective (as a black man from Northern California, I actually find Kamala very sincere on issues of racial and economic injustice - it's so obvious to me that she truly gets it).

It creates this facade of criticism that really lacks substance. An argument can truly be made against the sincerity of any politician. People we support, sincere, people we don't support, insincere and ulterior motives.

It needs to take a backseat to analysis of candidates understanding of issues and ability to come up with favorable policy.

I dunno, I just think the policy differences between any Democratic president are going to be miniscule unless they win the Senate and kill the filibuster.

The biggest thing is winning imo so public perception and the ability to run an effective political campaign matter a lot more than the tiny policy differences between various Democrats.

The sports-starved citizens are desperate for this political jousting tournament. The games have begun. Joe Biden has chosen his champion.
May the lesser of two evils win lol

The sports-starved citizens are desperate for this political jousting tournament. The games have begun. Joe Biden has chosen his champion.
May the lesser of two evils win lol

Despite all the things I hate about Kamala Harris, she’s be representing me pretty well when she debates Pence. It’ll be enjoyable to watch.

1597272617812.gif

Mans been aging in dog years for a while now.

Despite all the things I hate about Kamala Harris, she’s be representing me pretty well when she debates Pence. It’ll be enjoyable to watch.

Biden and Trump debate gonna be full of lulz. Too bad at the expense of democracy.

I dunno, I just think the policy differences between any Democratic president are going to be miniscule unless they win the Senate and kill the filibuster.

The biggest thing is winning imo so public perception and the ability to run an effective political campaign matter a lot more than the tiny policy differences between various Democrats.

I mean, I certainly think the intention is to win the Senate. Even if that's not a sure shot, discounting policy in favor of personality doesn't compute to me. I disagree that the policy differences between Democrats is so minute that it's largely irrelevant. It might appear that way, because for the most Democrats are decent enough at reading the room, and when they sense the majority of the populace moving further to the left, they collectively follow suit, but let's just look at the core Democratic policy positions right now vs. four years ago, eight years, etc.

Public perception does matter, and so does retail politics, which Kamala Harris is actually very very good at. But single campaigning performance shouldn't be put in the same category unless the discussion is about a future campaign to once again earn the Democratic nomination. We should be focused on her ability to play the VP role the last stretch of this election, and hopefully her influence on a future Biden administration. It really sounds like some of your biggest gripes should be equally pointed at Kamala's campaign mangers.

Also, you keep reiterating this point that most people aren't interested in the minutia and that they aren't actually paying attention while you are. That's misguided man, you might not intend it but it comes off kind of arrogant.

Kamala Harris has been a massive figure in California politics for decades. As I mentioned yesterday, she was garnering some pretty intense national spotlight in Washington before she ran too. I don't think ANYONE in this thread, or who generally was in tune with the timeline of Biden picking a VP just found out who Kamala Harris is.

Wild disappointing seeing black men do this.
Absolutely

Dudes outchea wilding out that a qualified black woman got a career opportunity. Like if you are a black person and you have made peace for voting for Biden, that really undercuts the complaints of Harris being a nonstarter.

Like stop and think for a moment, maybe Harris got the nod because.....check notes.....she is qualified and they think she will do a good job.

But I have a suspicion that many didn't intend to vote Democratic anyway, and they are just using this as an opportunity to announce to the world how the Dems lost their vote/****** up because they didn't do what they wanted.

I don't think the Biden people are dumb enough to think that Kamala is going to juice black turnout significantly.
They are, because to them, the average negro is incapable of thinking critically and independently.

"They will vote for us if they see someone remotely black on the ballot"

I need my people to stop being naive and read between the lines

Like stop and think for a moment, maybe Harris got the nod because.....check notes.....she is qualified and they think she will do a good job.

That's an oversimplification of how candidates get chosen. Sounds like politics with politics involved lol.

Or more like, Kamala tongue in cheek called Biden a racist during the democratic debates and is now his running mate.

deuce king deuce king

You’re very clear about what you do not like, you’re the best in this thread at it.

if you don’t mind, could you tell us what you do like. These aren’t rhetorical questions.

1.) was there anything the Sanders campaign could have done or said or policy proposals that would have persuaded you to support him?
2.) same question but for the Harris campaign?

More importantly,

3.) if you were in charge what are the things you’d do for the black community that not bring done or not being proposed by the Democratic Party?

How come we can't get somebody to protect us like this man.

Not even being funny, but this kind of direct action and commitment is what black ppl want from their politicians. Specifically do something for black folks. That's the real want.

Back
Top Bottom