***Official Political Discussion Thread***

They just want to vent and complain, they're not looking for answers.

Looking forward to that lab grown meat when it gets too expensive to raise and slaughter cows.

I went to a farmers convention last year. These clowns were straight up applauding the Nebraska governor when he was talking about Trump being great for the state due to his removal of regulations. I'm sure reversing climate change policies will be AMAZING for farm output over the next few decades :rolleyes I wanted to say something so badly, but our company policy was to never discuss politics or religion with our customers.

Farmers should be Bushing him and pelting him with their shoes. I worked in the agriculture industry at my last job and traveled all over the Midwest and South to meet/work with farmers. Many of them were wondering

a)why their labor force was declining so heavily and why no one was taking the hundreds of vacant jobs that Mexicans had left behind (HUGE surprise :rolleyes). The funniest part is that the wages being offered were decent, livable wages for the area (contrary to the myth that these jobs pay $2/hour or some @#$@) and people STILL weren't coming to work on the farms.

and

b)why countries throughout Asia were shifting away from trading with the US for beef and corn and switching to Canada and Australia instead. (For example, Nebraska is the largest supplier of beef to Japan, but farmers saw their numbers decreasing throughout 2017). Again, HUGE surprise :rolleyes

Of course, so many of these guys had Trump lodged so firmly in their throats that they completely ignored the obvious answers to their questions.

I agree with most what you're saying but I have to push back on the idea that farmers were offering "decent" wages. Clearly, they were not good enough to induce people to supply their labor under current conditions.

Obviously the belief that workers should work for below market wage rates is not limited to farmers. We're in a situation with pretty low unemployment but most bosses are unwilling to raise wages. I think we can divide bosses, who complain about an inability to fill job openings, into two categories. One group is going through the motions and is waiting for a new crop of cheap, foreign labor. the other category,really does not understand economics or they are rich, old and out of touch and think that any amount over minimum wage is generous and therefore market clearing.

As far as your other point is concerned, you're absolutely right, farmers should be total globalists when it comes to trade because access to lucrative foreign markets is what allows farmers to make real money, especially when we're talking about bulk, commodity crops.

Do you still travel to the plains?

Nope, but I did from 2016-2017. Got a new job in SF and am back to only working with musty looking/smelling hipster transplants (which still sucks, but at least it's better than having to go out to Nebraska, South Dakota, and Iowa every few weeks :sick: )

I agree with most what you're saying but I have to push back on the idea that farmers were offering "decent" wages. Clearly, they were not good enough to induce people to supply their labor under current conditions.

Obviously the belief that workers should work for below market wage rates is not limited to farmers. We're in a situation with pretty low unemployment but most bosses are unwilling to raise wages. I think we can divide bosses, who complain about an inability to fill job openings, into two categories. One group is going through the motions and is waiting for a new crop of cheap, foreign labor. the other category,really does not understand economics or they are rich, old and out of touch and think that any amount over minimum wage is generous and therefore market clearing.

As far as your other point is concerned, you're absolutely right, farmers should be total globalists when it comes to trade because access to lucrative foreign markets is what allows farmers to make real money, especially when we're talking about bulk, commodity crops.

Maybe I shouldn't generalize, but the farmers I dealt with personally were offering ~$15/hour in places like Sioux Falls, where the cost of living is practically 1/5th of San Francisco or New York (for example, my coworker was renting a one bedroom apartment for $400 a month out there). There's no reason that someone that's unemployed or "suffering from economic anxiety" should turn down that kind of pay to make ends meet. A lot of these people are too proud to do the work, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Maybe I shouldn't generalize, but the farmers I dealt with personally were offering $15/hour in places like Sioux Falls, where the cost of living is practically 1/5th of San Francisco or New York (for example, my coworker was renting a one bedroom apartment for $400 a month out there). There's no reason that someone that's unemployed or "suffering from economic anxiety" should turn down that kind of pay to make ends meet. A lot of these people are too proud to do the work, plain and simple.

People are too to do stuff
When i was working in grocery retail basket pusher were being paid 12 an hour

Also meat cutter made 18 with the training provided by the company

People are too to do stuff
When i was working in grocery retail basket pusher were being paid 12 an hour

Also meat cutter made 18 with the training provided by the company

I posted an article on this a while back; there are counties out in the South and Midwest that are offering training for the unemployed residents, but these people aren't attending the training sessions and are instead waiting for Trump to bring coal jobs back. There's no getting through to them.

I posted an article on this a while back; there are counties out in the South and Midwest that are offering training for the unemployed residents, but these people aren't attending the training sessions and are instead waiting for Trump to bring coal jobs back. There's no getting through to them.
COAL IS THE NEW WAVE OF ENERGY B
MAGA U LIBTARDS AND KALE FREAKS

plus how dare she turn the Golden Globes political. I tune in to see actors and actresses thank Jesus and their parents. I DON'T want to be lectured!

Leave that lecturing nonsense to OBLUNDER. If Oprah doesn't stop this nonsense I will boycott her and bankrupt her forever.

aepps20 aepps20

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/08/opinion/trump-voters.html

Did you vote for Donald Trump for president? We’d like to hear from you. As the first anniversary of his administration nears, how do you think he’s doing? Is he performing as you hoped, or has he fallen short?

Submissions should be no more than 200 words. The deadline is Thursday, Jan. 11, at 10 a.m., Eastern time. We plan to publish a sampling. Email: [email protected]

edit: I voted 3 times so I'm going to email them 3 times.

aepps20 aepps20

Did you vote for Donald Trump for president? We’d like to hear from you. As the first anniversary of his administration nears, how do you think he’s doing? Is he performing as you hoped, or has he fallen short?

Submissions should be no more than 200 words. The deadline is Thursday, Jan. 11, at 10 a.m., Eastern time. We plan to publish a sampling. Email: [email protected]

09LtrumpWeb-jumbo.jpg

What a diverse group of white people
Can’t even spot that dude from the heights there

Leave that lecturing nonsense to OBLUNDER. If Oprah doesn't stop this nonsense I will boycott her and bankrupt her forever.
she is VERY UNGRATEFUL to Donald, who single-handedly made her who she is.

she needs to stop attacking the good white men of this country who happened to make mistakes in their youth and understand sexual harassment is A NOTHINGBURGER.

Huh?

I seriously don't understand the question.
Let me rephrase it: is she a success story of neoliberalism? Like what she has achieved in her life can be attributed to the ideology. That’s what I’m hearing, but I can’t agree with the premise that she’s the icon of neoliberalism.

aepps20 aepps20

Anyone that DOESN'T vote at least 3 times is a Suspected Libbie Sympathizer that will be immediately expelled from the Coal Gang.

If it came down to Oprah and Trump, 10 out of 10 times I would vote for Oprah.

But seriously, there has to be better people than those two to vote for. I really hope the masses aren’t idiots, but I doubt it.

Na we go through this every 4 years. Two party system will always result in 2 substandard choices. Idiocracy is now real life and the presidential election will soon be a singing contest or something along those lines

Back
Top Bottom