***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Let me rephrase it: is she a success story of neoliberalism? Like what she has achieved in her life can be attributed to the ideology. That’s what I’m hearing, but I can’t agree with the premise that she’s the icon of neoliberalism.
Where are you hearing this from because on paper it sounds like an asinine argument.

Na we go through this every 4 years. Two party system will always result in 2 substandard choices. Idiocracy is now real life and the presidential election will soon be a singing contest or something along those lines

Honestly it would be funny yet sad if it came down to an election between Beyoncé and Joy Villa based on their singing talents. Beyoncé would def get the vote 100 out of 100 time though.

Na we go through this every 4 years. Two party system will always result in 2 substandard choices. Idiocracy is now real life and the presidential election will soon be a singing contest or something along those lines
There are other parties, they produce **** candidates too.

If 2008 and 2016 prove anything is that the "establishment" can't stop **** if the voters want it. And really, parties are nowhere as strong as they used to be.

People complain about the two party system way too much. All it really does when it comes to policy is force coalitions to form before elections than afterwards.

The most idiotic thing I see voters do,especially liberals, in this country is sit on the sidelines and complain about how the parties are not the way they would like.

Having more parties, by itself, will do little to solve anything in America.

Before you posted I thought you would post something from the Jacobin.

I was happy when I saw the Guardian, but the then I saw the author.

I just started working my way through and it reads like a diet version of Cornell West's attack on Coates.

Basically, "this person is not a leftist and doesn't espouse leftist asking points, so they are part of the problem"

It is frustrating how quickly leftist move on anything considered a liberal threat. And leftist can protest all they want, but they over use the term "neoliberal" to make it a catch attack and to peddle the lie that they and only they care about economic equality.

Last edited:

These people are applauding him while he's talking about repealing the estate tax but only a small minority would trigger it anyway as it only applies to estates over 5 million dollars. How many farmers have $5m+ estates?
In contrast, our inheritance tax applies to everyone regardless of the monetary and property value. Even a hypothetical €0,01 inheritance would technically get a 3% tax.
3% on €0,01 to €50k
9% on €50k to €250k
27% on €250k+
In the Flanders part of Belgium your money and property values are taxed separately so if your combined value is over €250k it doesn't necessarily mean the 27% rate applies to any of it as long as your monetary and property value don't go over €250k individually.

There's a few ways to reduce it of course and to some extent you can use the gift method but either way you're generally looking at a pretty big tax bill whenever you inherit any significant amount. And those are just the rates for a straight line succession too such as father to son like in my case or between partners.
These are our rates for inheritances between brothers and sisters for example:
30% on €0,01 to 75k
55% on €75k to 125k
65% on €125k+

There are other parties, they produce **** candidates too.

If 2008 and 2016 prove anything is that the "establishment" can't stop **** if the voters want it. And really, parties are nowhere as strong as they used to be.

People complain about the two party system way too much. All it really does when it comes to policy is force coalitions to form before elections than afterwards.

The most idiotic thing I see voters do,especially liberals, in this country is sit on the sidelines and complain about how the parties are not the way they would like.

Having more parties, by itself, will do little to solve anything in America.

We been through this before rusty. We simply disagree on some fundamental issues on how this country’s party and election system is structured.

Back
Top Bottom