OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Burakovsky

q6R78ON.gif

19 years old and has played himself on the roster...most likely as the 2C.

Get familiar.

Kid is :pimp:

2nd line C?!?! that's impressive if he was able to play himself into that spot. i haven't been following the caps offseason moves a ton, but a lot of turnover?

Burakovsky

q6R78ON.gif

19 years old and has played himself on the roster...most likely as the 2C.

Get familiar.

Kid is :pimp:

2nd line C?!?! that's impressive if he was able to play himself into that spot. i haven't been following the caps offseason moves a ton, but a lot of turnover?

Most of the turnover was on the defense. As far as the offense, the Caps have been looking for a legitimate center since they let go of Matty P. and Ribiero a few years back. I dunno if Burakovsky is the answer, but he's been nothing short of fantastic this preseason.

Yo damn, Isles actually trading and making huge deals?

The New York Islanders added two defenceman to their roster on Saturday.

The club acquired Johnny Boychuk from the Boston Bruins for two second round draft picks and a conditional third round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft. The condition for the third rounder is that the pick only goes to the Bruins if the Islanders trade Boychuck within the Eastern Conference this season.

The Islanders also acquired defenceman Nick Leddy from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for defenceman Ville Pokka, defenceman T.J. Brennan and the rights to goaltender Anders Nilsson.

http://www.tsn.ca/islanders-acquire-defencemen-boychuk-leddy-1.98976

Last edited:
Boychuk...knew that move was coming but he'll be missed. appreciated for all he did while suiting up in Black and Gold. good luck JB55 :pimp:

So sad to see Boychuk go. I knew it was coming but I wish they could've sent Johnny to a better team. But I shouldn't be doubting NYI as they are a good sleeper pick for the season. Who knows? I can see a Boychuk/Leddy pairing. And that's not a bad pairing at all.

I doubt Halak will make it through the season but they got Chris Johnson too. I think they'll be a contender. Garth took soooooo long to finally get a goalie and some defense :lol:

^ we got our draft tomorrow - please forget the draft starts tomorrow guys so you get auto-picked. Thank you :pimp:

Boychuk and Leddy acquisitions only make me feel better about placing the Isles in the playoffs. Finally a capable netminder and quality blue-liners. Thanks, Snow. Better late than never for Tavares, I suppose.

roll.gif
I FORGET ABOUT EVERY DRAFT EVER.

My team is actually pretty decent. D. Sedin and Miller. 
nthat.gif

Last edited:
Great draft, boys. Obviously weak at #2 goalie after price. My coworkers swore on Craig Anderson. Although I was tempted with Luongo earlier. Anderson had the best save percentage in the league, 2 years ago in the shortened season. 33 wins in 2011 season. Just signed 3-year extension with Lehner pushing him.

Gibson has world-class potential despite Boudreau's vagueness in appointing a starter. Andersen started the exhibition finale, but Gibson's ceiling is higher and 4 years younger than Andersen.

Almost happy "Stammer" went 2nd overall, allowing "Ovi" to fall to me 3rd. Gave some pause to Tavares. Yes, I love the kid that much. His hands are sick, and Isles vastly improved as a team.

Price as my #1 netminder, had to prioritize early with the typical 2-goalie start.

More than happy to secure Sharp in R3, even if he won't duplicate last season. I find "Z" to be overrated by ESPN, and underrated by Yahoo.

Drafted while working, like DeadsetAce DeadsetAce . Trained the cute intern portion of the night, schooled her on fantasy hockey and allowed her to make the Backes selection. Kinda adorable, she completely mispronounced his name and picked Backes on a whim.

I'm moderately weak at LW. Hartnell a veteran pick, could very well be a top-50 or top-60 fantasy player. Drouin I went for upside, even if he misses the start of the season with a fractured thumb. Also considered Semin with that pick, but opted for growth potential.

Looked at Saad, Kadri, Yakupov later in the draft. Did not select Seth Jones or Nurse, to the kid who jocks me about it, theenorthstar theenorthstar .

Four horsemen of blue-liners. Letang, OEL, Wisniewski, Giordano. I know sosly sosly was pissed, but he was BPA on my board. Truly.

Sekera for depth. Think he can be a top-15 fantasy blue-liner, potentially.

"Iggy" too much value to pass on, even on my bench currently. Perron as well, scoring winger felt I needed to have.

Honestly though, you're the one who sets yourself to be made of. You constantly talk about them and say the same EXACT thing every time. It feels like every other post is about then. Not to mention, the constant feel that your posts make you seem like you're the only thread's John Madden commentary to a MNF game with the only difference it being for hockey. In Addition to it feeling that you post for constant approval. It always feel like you're trying so hard. Especially in the way that you say it. Idk if this is only occurs in the hockey thread or simply just how you are. I don't venture around nt like that anymore to even notice. Oddly enough, Ive started to become use to your posts in here. And yes, you didn't put you're $ when your mouth is but whatever. I could careless. Btw, I'm not the only one whose busted your balls in this thread.

I respect that you @ me though.

Ranking goalies into three tiers.

In the NHL season that's just about ready to begin, having an elite starting goalie can be the difference between being a good team and a championship team. Having a goalie who shouldn't be starting at all is a good sign the draft lottery may be lurking in the future.

But which goalies are truly elite? Which teams will be trotting out borderline backups?

We attempted to answer that question by asking a panel of 15 people who would know best -- five general managers, four head coaches, three goalie coaches, two assistant general managers and one goal-scorer -- to rate all 30 starting goalies on a scale of 1 to 5. A one was reserved for the truly elite, the goalies who change a franchise regardless of the team in front of them. Only two goalies in the entire league received ones from every single voter.

A three was the middle ground -- the average starting goalie who isn't necessarily going to hurt or help you on most nights. Fives were reserved for guys who should be backups, and it wasn't a number voters were eager to give out. In fact, only one goalie earned a single five.

In situations where two goalies are expected to share the workload, one was selected for the ballot to keep it manageable. In some cases, it was because they have the bigger body of work, in others (like John Gibson) because they are the more interesting story.

With the votes tallied and the scores averaged, the goalies were broken into three tiers, with the tier at the top being the hardest to crack. The complete results are below:

Tier 1 | Tier 2 | Tier 3

Tier 1 (4)
Jump to: Tier 2 | Tier 3

Henrik Lundqvist
Jamie Sabau/Getty Images
Henrik Lundqvist is clearly doing most everything right, as he was a unanimous top-tier selection.

T-1. Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers (1.00 average rating)

Lundqvist was one of just two goalies to score a perfect score across the board. There was never any hesitation from the voters, never any hedging when rating Lundqvist. "Lundqvist in my mind is the best goaltender in the world. Without a doubt," said one goalie coach. "It's his mind. He's so quick. He has the intimidation factor because he looks big even though he's not a big guy. His quickness is second to none, his willingness to do whatever it takes. If I were to chose one goalie to play on my team, I would take Henrik."

About the worst thing anyone could say about Lundqvist was that he might be the beneficiary of large knee pads. "The knee pads on some of those guys are the size of Rhode Island," said another goalie coach. "He looks enormous. Some of it is the way he stands, some of it is the way he wears his gear."

Lundqvist and Jonathan Quick were the only two perfect scores, which naturally brought up comparisons between the two. Lundqvist seemed to get extra points from voters for playing on a team that isn't as defensive-minded as the Kings. "I'm with everybody. Henrik Lundqvist has to be the best in the league. Quick benefits from things that Lundqvist doesn't benefit from," said a coach. "But they both possess an unbelievable ability to track and see pucks. Pucks hit them and stick to them or they melt into posts or they melt into the ice. Their holes diminish."

T-1. Jonathan Quick, Los Angeles Kings (1.00 average rating)

He's not always perfect, but there might not be a goalie in the NHL right now better at seizing a moment and refusing to lose a big game. It's no coincidence that the Kings have won two out of the past three Stanley Cups. "In the big game, when you need to make a save, he just does it," said a Western Conference goalie coach. "He dominates down low. He gets low to the ice, covers low, is extremely flexible and extremely powerful in his movements. I really like him. He sometimes gets over-aggressive and over-sliding. The Kings do a good job of plugging up the middle and forcing teams to beat him from the outside."

The aggression that makes Quick so good can also make life a little harder for him. "A lot of his saves are highlight reel saves, and they don't have to be," said another coach. "He starts four feet on top of the blue to his right. He has to get four feet on top of the blue on his left -- that's a long way to travel. That's an athletic save."

There was some push back with Quick in that he benefits from playing on a great team, and that his style wouldn't translate particularly well on a bad team. One voter made the comparison to Tim Thomas playing in Boston and Florida. Other voters weren't buying that criticism. "Yes, L.A. is good," said one. "But you know what? Quick is fricking good."

3. Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens (1.07 average rating)

Here's what people liked most about Price: He's able to shut out all outside noise and distraction, a trait he either developed out of necessity in Montreal, or an innate one that makes him perfect to be the Montreal goalie. He has the right mix of confidence and swagger.

He's calm, too, almost to the point where one voter joked about a lack of a pulse. "Carey Price sees the game in slow motion and plays it in fast motion," said an Eastern Conference goalie coach.

"He's very positionally sound," said a Western Conference coach. "He's smart and reads the game really well. He often sees the game in slow motion so his goalie IQ is high. The biggest thing is he's calm. He doesn't panic, doesn't get rattled easily. And you're never really going to see him have a couple really terrible nights in a row."

4. Tuukka Rask, Boston Bruins (1.27 average rating)

Rask was another goalie who almost got unanimous No. 1 votes, although those who debated it only seemed to do so because of the team for which he plays. "He does benefit from playing in Boston," said one voter.

According to another, what makes Rask so special is his mental makeup. He has the right mix of talent, size, competitiveness and confidence. "It's not arrogance. He knows when you're coming in to shoot on him, he's going to stop it. If he doesn't, it's something he did wrong and he corrects it," said an Eastern Conference executive. "If there's one he has no chance on , it's 'Okay, no problem.' It's emotional intelligence. And it's not arrogance where he thinks he's better than you. It's not beating you, he just knows 'This is what I do. The puck comes and I stop it.'"

Tier 2 (12)
Jump to: Tier 1 | Tier 3

Pekka Rinne
AP Photo/Mark Humphrey
Pekka Rinne's health issues in 2013-14 may have led to his ranking outside the top tier.

5. Pekka Rinne, Nashville Predators (1.60 average rating)

Voters didn't seem to know what to do with Rinne. He earned multiple ones and multiple threes. When he is at his best, Rinne is a Tier 1 goalie. But he hasn't been healthy or playing at that level since 2011-12.

One head coach initially gave him a three and then talked himself into upgrading it. "He could be a two. Give him a two," said the coach, trying to pick the rating. "If he's healthy, Pekka Rinne is good. He's just been hurt. Pekka Rinne is a two."

"Obviously, he needs to be healthy but he's a frickin' good goalie," said another head coach. "You remember games where you get out-goaltended and he's had a few against us."

Word is circulating that Rinne really benefited from the World Championships, and that "he trained this summer like a madman," according to a voter. If the power and quickness Rinne had at his peak has returned, he could be back in the top tier this season.

T-6. Semyon Varlamov, Colorado Avalanche (1.93 average rating)

Goalies who earned twos in the voting typically fell into two categories: One, they were former elite goalies like Pekka Rinne, Roberto Luongo or Ryan Miller who are trending downward; two, they're young goalies on the way up who could potentially join the top group. Varlamov is one of those trending the right direction.

Some voters were hesitant to give him a one based off of just last season, others weren't. "He's a one," said a Western Conference head coach. "What I saw him do with his team last year -- I'm going to base it off of last year. Hopefully he won't be a one this year."

An Eastern Conference goalie coach sees a repeat performance coming. "He's going to be dynamite," the coach said. "He's powerful. He's quick. He works his tail off. He was just too young to understand how to play yet in Washington."

T-6. Sergei Bobrovsky, Columbus Blue Jackets (1.93 average rating)

The Ryan Johansen negotiations were the talk of Columbus training camp, but he isn't the most important player on the Blue Jackets' roster. It's the man in goal.

"I love what Columbus is doing. I really do," said an Eastern Conference general manager. "But if [Bobrovsky] doesn't play well, they don't win. They win because he's the No. 1 star there."

He's in that class of young goalies like Varlamov, Ben Bishop and Cory Schneider who can still graduate into the top tier; there just needs to be a larger sample size. And maybe more consistency. "Bobrovsky lets in soft goals even in games he plays pretty well," said another Eastern Conference executive. "You get tricked."

T-8. Kari Lehtonen, Dallas Stars (2.07 average rating)

At this point in his career, Lehtonen has settled into his place in the league as a goalie who isn't one of the three or four best, but one who is still better than a majority of his peers. And when he's at his best, he's capable of stealing games. He's always had every physical tool needed to be a great goalie, one of the reasons why he was drafted so high (No. 2 overall in 2002) by Atlanta. "This guy is smooth. He is so flexible. He is very quick," said a coach. "He's an extremely good goaltender. He's taken huge steps since he came through Atlanta."

He's also established himself in the NHL while playing in front of some shaky defenses, so he gets full marks for being a goalie who has excelled without always having the best players around him. "He covered a lot of Dallas' mistakes," said a voter. "I don't think people realize how good he was. When he's on his game, bad goals just don't go in."

Previous concerns over his conditioning seem to have dissipated. The only question left with Lehtonen is mental. "Kari can beat himself," said an Eastern Conference coach. "Henrik doesn't beat himself. I haven't seen Tuukka beat himself. [Lehtonen] will beat himself. That's really a mental thing but you're still talking about the creme de la creme. He's an extreme talent."

T-8. Cory Schneider, New Jersey Devils (2.07 average rating)

Of all the younger goalies in the second tier, voters had the most confidence that Schneider was on the path to moving up to the next tier. "He has the potential to be a No. 1 [tier]," said an Eastern Conference general manager.

All he seems to do every season is post a save percentage north of .925, the only problem is that he's 28 years old and still hasn't played more than 45 games in a regular season. One more strong season and the doubts should disappear. "How do you not like him?" said another Eastern Conference executive. "The sample size is not many games but still, you watch, he's going to be a one for sure."

Ben Bishop
Mike Carlson/Getty Images
In his first season as full-time starter, Ben Bishop earned a Vezina Trophy nomination.

T-8. Ben Bishop, Tampa Bay Lightning (2.07 average rating)

Bishop is another young goalie trending in the right direction. "If he has another year like last year, he's a one," said an Eastern Conference general manager.

That's the question for Bishop. His 63 games played in 2013-14 was more than he'd played in the NHL his entire career until that point, and his .924 save percentage was the highest of any other stretch of his career. So has Bishop figured it out, or was this a one-season blip? One coach is sold. "He's finally figured out where he can use his size to his advantage," he said. "I think you have a marriage of how they play in Tampa and how Bishop plays. He's a guy that reads the puck off the blade really well, he reads the game really well. Technically he isn't fantastic, it's sloppy sometimes but he knows how to put his body behind the puck. He uses his size to his advantage."

T-8. Ryan Miller, Vancouver Canucks (2.07 average rating)

Here was the thought process of one Eastern Conference general manager in giving Miller a rating: "He could be a three. He could be a one," he said. "So... two." He averaged it out.

Another Eastern Conference general manager was lukewarm. "I've never been a fan, but I guess he's a two," he said. One goalie coach wondered how the headstrong Miller would get along with Vancouver goalie coach Rollie Melanson. The conclusion among the goalie coaches was that Miller is at his best when he sees lots of shots, which explains his success on a bad Buffalo team and struggles in St. Louis. That leads to uncertainty in Vancouver, since we still don't know exactly what the Canucks will look like under the new regime.

"If Vancouver is better and good, he might actually have a tough time," said one coach. Said another: "Vancouver is somewhere in between. It'll be interesting."

T-8. Roberto Luongo, Florida Panthers (2.07 average rating)

Having Luongo for a full season is a huge upgrade for the Panthers, and it's easy to see why they were willing to take on the risk of his contract in order to bring him into the fold. His presence alone puts Florida back into the potential playoff conversation.

One head coach wondered why the interest was mutual. "He's a good goalie. Luongo is good," he said. "The only thing that surprises me is, 'What are you doing? You're at the twilight of your career, you still have it and you go to Florida? Why?'"

One of the goalie coaches warned against the assumption that Luongo's presence alone makes Florida a playoff contender. He's still going to need help this season. "When he played on bad teams in Florida before, he still never got them to the playoffs," he said.

13. Mike Smith, Arizona Coyotes (2.13 average rating)

Smith hasn't come close to duplicating the big 2011-12 season that earned him his current contract. After posting a .930 save percentage that season, he's followed it up with .910 and .915, numbers closer to his .914 career save percentage.

Despite that, he still has a lot of respect around the league, even earning a one vote from a Western Conference head coach. "He's the one goalie who can change a game without making a save because of the way he plays the puck," said the coach. "It's like having another defenseman out there."

"I just see them giving up 40 shots a game and still winning," said another head coach, who rated Smith high. A goalie coach called Mike Smith and Dave Tippett's system the perfect marriage. "Smitty can play deeper in his net, he reads plays well, he makes simple movements," he said. "He's a really good puck handler and that eliminates opportunities every game."

14. Jimmy Howard, Detroit Red Wings (2.33 average rating)

As the Red Wings drop to the middle of the pack in the league, some have noticed Howard's play is heading in that direction as well. "He was way better with better teams," said a coach. "When he had better teams and they were defensive juggernauts and [Nicklas] Lidstrom was playing, he led the league in wins and was in the Vezina chat. Then, they're not as good and... if they don't have Jonas Gustavsson last year, would they have made the playoffs?"

Those comments were relayed to another coach who quickly defended Howard. "Yeah, but that's anybody," he said. "I think he's good. I think he can get better, but he's pretty darn good."

15. Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh Penguins (2.40 average rating)

Fans are quick to point out Fleury's struggles in the postseason, but this panel of voters was much more forgiving. "He took the Penguins to the Cup finals. He won the Stanley Cup and he was good," said an Eastern Conference GM. "After that, there was so much pressure on them to win and he took a lot of the blame when he shouldn't have. I know his save percentage and the numbers and all that, but the Penguins gave up high quality shots. Go back and look at how many high quality shots they gave up."

A Western Conference coach suggested that Fleury would be lights out if he got a new opportunity elsewhere. "I'm a big Fleury fan. It would be a fresh start, a clean slate for him," he said. "He's still young and he's been to the finals."

An Eastern Conference goalie coach also pointed to shot quality against Fleury as an explanation for his postseason struggles. "When it comes to the playoffs, people are going to question him because of that Philly series," he said. "The only thing he saw was breakaways, 2-on-1s, 3-on-1s and stupid giveaways. And he takes the blame. He's been s--- on by everybody, the media makes a big thing about it. I like Fleury. I would change some things in his game if I could, but I like him."

Corey Crawford
AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh
Corey Crawford has his flaws, but he's also got his name on the Stanley Cup.

16. Corey Crawford, Chicago Blackhawks (2.47 average rating)

The same voters who liked Fleury in part because he won a Stanley Cup weren't quite as willing to give the same benefit of the doubt to Crawford. They prefer the athleticism of Fleury to the sometimes-awkward play of Crawford. "I'm not a fan, but that's unfair considering he's delivered. He's won a Cup. The guy won a Cup," said an Eastern Conference executive. "He is susceptible to bad goals, though, and he is susceptible to mental breakdowns in pressure games."

"He's a guy we always try to peg as a weakness, but he wins," said a Western Conference head coach.

This thought from a goalie coach about summed up the group on Crawford: "I think he's a good goaltender, I've just never liked him."

Tier 3 (14)
Jump to: Tier 1 | Tier 2

17. Jonathan Bernier, Toronto Maple Leafs (2.53 average rating)

Bernier earned respect around the league by winning games even though his team was outshot on a nightly basis. "I think Jonathan Bernier is pretty good," said an Eastern Conference head coach. "I say that because the Toronto Maple Leafs are not a good defensive team, and he keeps them in games."

Bernier is a little like Schneider in that voters expect that he's going to be really good, they just want to see it first. Before last season's 55-game breakthrough, the most Bernier had played in one season was 25 games. "He was great last year," said an Eastern Conference general manager. "I want to see it again."

18. Antti Niemi, San Jose Sharks (2.60 average rating)

The voters were all over the board on Niemi, who earned everything from a one to a four. "He reads the game so well. All those Finnish goalies are getting better and better," said a goal-scoring forward who gave him his one.

Niemi falls into the camp of a Stanley Cup winner who some voters thought got more benefit from the team than he provided. "I'm not a big fan, maybe because he's unorthodox," said one. "He doesn't move well. He has a big body, he's been on two very good teams on Chicago and San Jose."

19. Steve Mason, Philadelphia Flyers (2.67 average rating)

Mason's play in Philadelphia has convinced some voters that he's put his rough patch in Columbus in the past. "He's made a lot of progress," said a goalie coach. "He's in a way better place. It's amazing that a change in venue could change everything."

In Columbus, Mason was known as a talented player who had growing up to do after winning the Calder Trophy following 2008-09. That maturation apparently is happening. "He had zero work ethic and all of a sudden he gets a reality check. He's starting to figure it out," said a Western Conference coach. "Obviously the kid has talent, you don't jump into the league and do what he did without talent. He's starting to understand the game better, manage the game better, be a real professional. He's become a better skater, his footwork is better. I like him."

T-20. Craig Anderson, Ottawa Senators (2.73 average rating)

After going through all 30 goalies, one head coach paused a moment and then pointed out an omission. "You know who you don't have on there? Robin Lehner," he said. "He's the one guy who will pass the guy he's playing. He's good. He's a stud. He's going to pass [Anderson]." He then offered up his own bonus score for Lehner. "He is going to end up being a two," the coach said.

For most voters, Anderson was the prototypical three. A goalie who you might not be all that excited to be starting for you, but isn't going to hurt your team, either. He's also still capable of stealing games. "There are nights where you were like 'Holy s---, he stole the show," said a Western Conference coach. "I still think he has that where he can go in and be unbelievable."

Even so, most voters weren't willing to move him up to a two. "There's just something funny about him," said a head coach from the West. "Maybe it's his inconsistency."

T-20. Jonas Hiller, Calgary Flames (2.73 average rating)

"What team is he on now?" asked one general manager.

Hiller, in case you forgot (and you'd be in good company apparently), signed with the Flames during the offseason. He's a bona fide starting goalie, with a career save percentage of .916, although he hasn't topped that number in any of the past three seasons despite playing on a pretty good Ducks team. That's concerning.

"I'm not a big fan," said one coach. "Tons of rebounds. There's no flow to his game. I don't see the hockey sense."

John Gibson, John Gibson, Kyle Palmieri
Harry How/Getty Images
John Gibson's playoff experience from this past spring will prove valuable down the road.

22. John Gibson, Anaheim Ducks (2.86 average rating)

Nobody tripped up voters like John Gibson. He was the only goalie that one panelist refused to vote for, with an Eastern Conference head coach declining to give a number because he had no idea. "That's a tough one," said a GM from the East. "Not a lot of body of work, but he could be a good one."

"Oh, wow. I don't know," said another GM before coming to his conclusion. "A two." The phrase "sample size" was used often for Gibson, and rightfully so -- he's played in all of three regular season games. For what it's worth, he has a .954 save percentage in those three games.

"We don't have a great sample size. They're going to give him every opportunity. I think [Frederik] Andersen is going to start ahead of him, but I think they're both going to be fine. They have a team that scores lots of goals, and they will play way better defensively. Either one will be fine."

T-23. Brian Elliott, St. Louis Blues (2.87 average rating)

One coach meant this honestly as a compliment: "I love him as a backup." This season is Elliott's big chance to establish himself as an NHL starter, with Jake Allen waiting in the wings.

There was a general belief that both goalies will benefit from playing in a Ken Hitchcock system. "Pascal Leclaire had nine shutouts or something like that for Hitch," pointed out a coach. For the record, nine is the correct number, and Leclair never had another NHL shutout after that season in 2007-08.

One Western Conference coach sees good things for Elliott. "He's an extremely hard worker. He's dedicated to what he does," he said. "One of the biggest knocks on him is he's streaky. The pressure is how he manages that. Based on the St. Louis system, he can be successful without having to be a dominant goalie. I'd take him on my team."

T-23. Cam Ward, Carolina Hurricanes (2.87 average rating)

He's won a Stanley Cup, so Cam Ward has that going for him. "It was a long time ago," countered a goalie coach. "He's so reachy. He doesn't do anything that's modern."

In 30 games this past season, Ward had a save percentage of .898. He has just one regular season in which he's cracked the .920 barrier, which wouldn't be a big deal if he wasn't earning $6.3 million per season through 2015-16. But he is, and may be doing it as a backup. "It's going to be interesting there because [Anton] Khudobin probably thinks he should be the No. 1, and maybe he should be," said a GM.

25. Michal Neuvirth, Buffalo Sabres (3.07 average rating)

He's another guy voters would prefer to see more of before they rate him higher than a three, but they're definitely intrigued. "I want to see him play 60 games before I give him a two," said an Eastern Conference general manager.

He won't be getting a lot of help in front of him this season in Buffalo. "They're bound and determined to be bad," said one voter.

Neuvirth has been playing in NHL games since the 2008-09 season, but has played in just 136 career games in parts of six campaigns. "There's times I like him," said a Western Conference head coach. "His upside is pretty high."

T-26. Niklas Backstrom, Minnesota Wild (3.13 average rating)

Backstrom was put on the ballot instead of Darcy Kuemper in part because he has a larger body of work, and partially because Kuemper was threatening to go to the KHL when votes first started being collected. Josh Harding -- who excelled in 26 starts in 2013-14 -- has been battling significant health problems. Kuemper certainly has the most upside, and is the favorite to get more starts over Backstrom, but a return to form for the veteran would be huge in Minnesota.

Voters definitely questioned his body's ability to withstand a full season, but they did not question Backstrom's will. "He's the ultimate professional," said a coach. "He is very calm in the net and positionally sound. He's a guy that gets a little frustrated at times, but is pretty darn consistent. He's not the biggest guy. He's good but not great. There's lot of holes. He takes so much pride in how he practices and prepares."

T-26. Braden Holtby, Washington Capitals (3.13 average rating)

It can't be too reassuring for Capitals fans that two former Washington goalies -- Varlamov and Neuvirth -- finished ahead of Holtby. He does have a .919 career save percentage in 105 games, and will benefit from a better defense in front of him this season.

There are some who want to see him modernize his game technically. "He makes up for it with athletic ability," said a voter. "And he really prepares himself to play."

28. Jaroslav Halak, New York Islanders (3.20 average rating)

Garth Snow might have had the best offseason of any NHL general manager, and part of that success was signing Halak. He has a .918 career save percentage, and maintaining that rate over the course of a season would be a dramatic improvement over the goaltending the Islanders received in 2013-14.

But, there was plenty of doubt among voters as to whether or not Snow picked the right goalie, mostly because of questions surrounding Halak's work ethic. He was the only goalie to receive a five. "He's a three because of his talent and a four because of his work ethic. He's not overly big. He's always hurt," said one coach. "It'll be very interesting how many games he ends up playing."

"His give-a-s--- level is so low," said another.

There were also concerns about his size since he's just 5-10 in an era when goalies are getting bigger and bigger. "I have to give him credit for the year he made his playoff run with Montreal, but I'm not a big fan," said another voter.

29. Ondrej Pavelec, Winnipeg Jets (3.33 average rating)

He may be at the bottom of the list, but voters were generally kinder to Pavelec than they were others this low. They still see a young goalie with potential and skill. "I don't think he's as bad as fans say," said a coach. "They shouldn't buy him out like some people suggest."

One Eastern Conference GM still has a belief that Pavelec could work his way up this list in future seasons. "He could be a two if he could just find his consistency," he said. "He's got the skill."

The positive comments about him makes you wonder if he has potential trade value at some point despite his contract -- $3.9 million per season through 2016-17 -- if the Jets are willing to keep a portion. "He has talent, there are just pieces that are missing," said a goalie coach. "The whole package isn't complete yet. You can see there's really good talent. At times, you go 'It looks like this goalie can be a stud' but he doesn't always have the ability to keep it at that level. I think he can get there at some point."

30. Ben Scrivens, Edmonton Oilers (3.40 average rating)

Scrivens is a guy that many voters honestly didn't seem to know a lot about. Those who did have thoughts on him seemed leery about his fit in the dressing room. "He's been good everywhere he's played," said a GM. "But Toronto didn't keep him. Los Angeles didn't keep him. It might have been because of his personality."

In his defense, there's a long line of goalies with quirky personalities. "He doesn't do it for me," said one head coach. "To me, he's an NHL backup."

"The jury is still out," said another coach. "In L.A. he's good, but was it because of the system? In Edmonton, there are nights where he makes 50 saves. You just don't know what you have. If he can be dominant in Edmonton, you just have to tip your cap."

How contenders overcome flaws.

After another exciting edition of the NHL playoffs in the spring, a new season is fast approaching, and the heavyweights of the league have refurbished their rosters for another run at the Stanley Cup.

What follows are the five teams with the best odds to win the Cup, per the Westgate Las Vegas Superbook; unsurprisingly, these teams are responsible for seven of the past eight Cup wins.

While any one of them could win the silver chalice this season, each has a weakness -- an Achilles' heel -- that could mean the difference between winning the Cup and playing golf in May.

Here are the key weaknesses, and possible solutions, for each of the top contenders:

Note: All advanced stats are courtesy of Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and Behindthenet.ca.

Chicago Blackhawks

Odds: 6-1
Achilles' heel: Goaltending depth

As currently constituted, the Blackhawks' forward and defensive groups are excellent, but their goaltending needs more depth, especially if Corey Crawford stumbles or gets hurt. In 2013-14, Crawford had a regular-season save percentage of .917, placing him in a tie for 22nd among goaltenders with 20 or more starts. In the playoffs, his .912 even-strength save percentage was problematic, and he gave up some questionable goals.

Backup Antti Raanta was much worse, however, managing a .897 save percentage in 2013-14. Although the Blackhawks gave Raanta a two-year extension because they saw flashes of good play, the strategy of depending so much on an unproven backup is unwise.

Solution: Sign a cheap veteran goalie

Once they have more cap flexibility, signing proven veteran Tomas Vokoun to the veteran's minimum would be a good way to plug an unpropitious gap in their roster. Over the course of 247 games in Vokoun's past five regular seasons, he has had a .922 save percentage, with 26 shutouts. Vokoun's save percentage has seen a dip below the .920 threshold in his past three campaigns, but as a backstopping safeguard, he would be a luxury.

Boston Bruins

Odds: 7-1
Achilles' heel: Third line

Last season, the Bruins' third line -- centered by Carl Soderberg and featuring the overqualified Loui Eriksson -- was a tremendous asset for the Bruins (the two had 57 even-strength points combined), helping the team finish in the top five in goals per game and shots per game. Jarome Iginla's signing with Colorado means Eriksson will likely be bumped to the top six, leaving a gap in the latter part of the Bruins' strong top nine.

Solution: More ice time for young skill players

Ryan Spooner and Alexander Khokhlachev may lack size, but both possess puck-handling ability and quickness. Spooner played only 23 games for Boston last season, but he posted strong possession numbers, displayed poise with the puck and showed good vision. Both players put up strong numbers in the AHL last season: Spooner scored 46 points in 49 regular-season games and Khokhlachev posted 57 points in 65 regular-season games. Having young, creative, energized contributors on the cheap is invaluable for a team like Boston that is currently squeezed by the salary cap.

Los Angeles Kings

Odds: 8-1
Achilles' heel: Second-pairing defenseman

The Kings are mostly bringing the whole gang back, so once again they are poised for a Stanley Cup run. However, with core players needing contract extensions this past offseason (Marian Gaborik) and next (Anze Kopitar), Los Angeles had to part with defensive stalwart Willie Mitchell. Though he had some recent health issues, Mitchell was an efficient defender who made good decisions. The Kings did nothing in the offseason to replace his spot on the second pairing.

Solution: Promote Alec Martinez

The Kings can try to solve the gap by promoting Martinez. Like Mitchell, Martinez is left-handed and brandishes a strong shot; unlike Mitchell, he is a very good puck-moving defenseman who can lead the rush if he sees space. While he posted an unsustainable 13.9 percent shooting percentage in 2013-14, Martinez finished the regular season with the third-best goals-per-60 minutes rate among pure defensemen (minimum of 50 games played).

Martinez put up strong possession numbers during the regular season -- including a 56.3 percent Corsi -- and even better metrics during the postseason, when he was a key contributor in the Kings' success in each round. He provides the Kings with significantly more mobility than Jeff Schultz, Matt Greene and Robyn Regehr. With an increased role, he should continue to flourish in the Kings' puck-possession machine.

Pittsburgh Penguins

Odds: 8-1
Achilles' heel: Defensive mobility

Although former general manager Ray Shero is gone, his insistence on drafting defensemen left the Penguins with a trove of prospects on the back end. Accordingly, trotting out some of the same dead weight would be misguided. Robert Bortuzzo and Rob Scuderi delivered a 45.5 and 43.8 Corsi percentage, respectively, this past season, and that's not good enough for a team with Cup aspirations.

Solution: Cut Bortuzzo and Scuderi's minutes, play the young D-men

In 34 games, the 6-foot-4 Simon Despres submitted the best Corsi metrics of any defenseman on the Penguins after the now-departed Matt Niskanen. While Despres' emergence in the top four seems a foregone conclusion, he has played fewer than 90 NHL games, and last season spent more time with the Baby Penguins in Wilkes-Barre than in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh also would be wise to try out Scott Harrington or Derrick Pouliot. ESPN Insider Corey Pronman extolled the virtues of Harrington for his hockey sense, and described Pouliot as an "extremely gifted offensive defenseman, with top-end hands, vision and skating ability." He may not demonstrate the full range of those skills at the NHL level right away, but those attributes are appreciably better than what Scuderi and Bortuzzo can provide to the group.

Anaheim Ducks

Odds: 10-1
Achilles' heel: Lack of possession-driving players

The Ducks finished first in the Western Conference last season, but skeptics cited their 50.0 Fenwick close percentage (16th in the NHL) as a cause for concern. Aside from their four core players -- Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Hampus Lindholm and Cam Fowler -- Anaheim's big ice-time crunchers were mostly not possession drivers. Fortunately, Anaheim has a homegrown elixir to cure their middling possession game, in addition to their acquisition of new No. 2 center Ryan Kesler.

Solution: Elevate quality two-way players

The Ducks should install Sami Vatanen and Rickard Rakell into their lineup. Vatanen is a very good puck-moving defenseman who can control possession -- he generated a 53.5 Corsi percentage last season -- and has the mobility to lead the transition or jump in on the rush. Rakell would give the Ducks the snarl they like, and is also a two-way forward who drives play. He posted a similarly strong 55.7 Corsi percentage.

With a surplus of forwards and defensemen in the Ducks organization, neither Vatanen nor Rakell seems assured a permanent spot in the lineup. But Vatanen demands time over one-dimensional, stay-at-home defenseman Mark Fistric, as well as Sheldon Souray or Clayton Stoner. As for Rakell, he offers more in the way of own-zone play than even some quality players like Kyle Palmieri, Emerson Etem and Andrew Cogliano.

Top 30 NHL draft prospects.

In examining the 2015 NHL draft class this preseason, it looks quite strong, even beyond top prospect Connor McDavid, whom I profiled in depth this offseason.

Prospect ranking methodology
Rankings are based on discussions with scouts on top of video and live viewings, and place a slight emphasis on puck possession, based on studies that show it is the best predictive measure of team-level success. Performance is a secondary factor, adjusted for age, team strength, league quality and other contextual elements.

Defensemen are given slightly less value than forwards of equal skill level because of higher projection uncertainty inherent in the position.

A common question I get is if this year could produce a draft class on par with 2003's group, which included Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Staal, Thomas Vanek, Ryan Suter, Dion Phaneuf, Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Zach Parise, Brent Seabrook, Ryan Kesler, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. Oh, and two franchise cornerstones in the second round in Patrice Bergeron and Shea Weber.

While it's certainly possible for this to be another super class, I do not see it as of now. It's a very strong one, with the caveat that a lot can change between now and June.

One other noticeable facet to this year's class is that this might be one of the strongest American classes in several years, with two Americans in the top five and five in the top 15.

Here are my early top 30 prospects for the 2015 NHL draft, with honorable mentions listed at the bottom. Note that players are listed with their 2014-15 team.

1. Connor McDavid, C, Erie (OHL)
Date of birth: 01/13/97
2013-14 stats: 56 games played | 28 goals | 71 assists

To restate the important section of my scouting report, McDavid is special and the clear No. 1. Jack Eichel would be a good candidate to go first overall in a standard draft, as he's an elite prospect, but McDavid is a level above elite.

2. Jack Eichel, C, Boston University (NCAA, Hockey East)
DOB: 10/28/96
2013-14 stats: 24 GP | 20 G | 25 A

Eichel's pure skill level with the puck is elite, and he can make defensemen look silly on a regular basis. At 6-foot-2 and nearly 200 pounds, Eichel also uses his body well to evade pressure and make the tough offensive plays that some smaller players aren't able to handle. He isn't a blazing skater, but his skating is commonly described as "deceptive" in terms of speed and agility.

3. Oliver Kylington, D, Farjestad (SHL)
DOB: 05/19/97
2013-14 stats: 32 GP | 2 G | 4 A

Kylington is the youngest goal scorer in SHL history and one of the best 16-year-old defensemen that league has seen in the modern era. His skating ability is off the charts, and he's a regular threat to lead the offensive attack into the opposing zone. He also has the IQ to be effective at both ends of the rink. He's very advanced for his age, but continued adjustments to the faster pace of pro hockey could elevate him to a higher level of prospect status.

4. Noah Hanifin, D, Boston College (NCAA, Hockey East)
DOB: 01/25/97
2013-14 stats: 31 GP | 6 G | 14 A

The Massachusetts native has an aggressive nature to his game. When the puck is on his stick, he has the confidence that he can make something happen, and often does. His tremendous skating and offensive creativity allow him to be a threat on the rush, and he is adept at bringing the puck out of the zone. When you couple that with a very developed frame for his age and a commitment to get on back on D, it makes Hanifin an elite prospect.

5. Travis Konecny, C, Ottawa (OHL)
DOB: 03/11/97
2013-14 stats: 63 GP | 26 G | 44 A

Konecny is no stranger to accolades, as he was the OHL's first overall pick in 2013 and was named that league's top rookie this past season. He's a dynamic skater and offensive creator who always is involved in the play and sees the ice very well. He's got a small frame, but has the necessary bite and intangibles you want in a small player to overcome that issue as an NHLer.

6. Pavel Zacha, LW, Sarnia (OHL)
DOB: 04/06/97
2013-14 stats: 38 GP | 4 G | 4 A

Zacha has followed a similar development path to the one Aleksander Barkov took two years ago. While he hasn't had many long stretches where he's dominated the past few seasons, that's due largely in part to the fact he's played considerably ahead of his age group or as one of the youngest in the pro Czech league. On a tools level, he has everything you want: size, speed and a high skill level. With his transfer to major junior this season, it will be interesting to see if he can take over versus other teenagers.

7. Mathew Barzal, C, Seattle (WHL)
DOB: 05/26/97
2013-14 stats: 59 GP | 14 G | 40 A

The Vancouver native plays the game with energy and pace. The first overall pick in the 2012 WHL Bantam draft is a great skater and puck handler who plays hard and brings top-notch effort to each shift. He has a good hockey IQ and is able to make the right decisions in tight lanes on top of setting up his linemates.

8. Jeremy Roy, D, Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
2013-14 stats: 64 GP | 14 G | 30 A

There's so much to like about what Roy, who was exceptional for a 16-year-old defenseman in major junior, brings to the table. He's a smooth player in terms of his mobility and puck movement, and even though he's undersized, his high-level hockey IQ will allow him to be a tough-minutes, two-way defenseman at the NHL level. He can be dynamic in a simple way.

9. Colin White, C, USNTDP (USHL)
DOB: 01/30/97
2013-14 stats: 35 GP | 14 G | 14 A

White was the top scorer at last year's IIHF World Under-17 challenge and gets high praise for all elements of his game. He's a good skater with a high level of skill, creativity and understanding of how to positively impact scoring-chance differentials in all ends of the rink. His talent won't blow you away, but he knows how to get on the score sheet and neutralize the opponent's top line.

10. Dylan Strome, C, Erie (OHL)
DOB: 03/07/97
2013-14 stats: 60 GP | 10 G | 29 A

If you ask people around the OHL, there are many who believe Strome could end up being better than his brother, Ryan Strome (the No. 5 overall pick by the New York Islanders in 2011). While he's ahead of him at the same point on a development level, Ryan had a huge draft season, with 106 points in 65 games. They have similar skill sets in terms of skill/vision combinations but mediocre skating. Dylan might be a little slower, but he has a good frame -- he's 6-foot-3, 187 pounds entering the season -- and arguably more skill than Ryan.

11. Zach Werenski, D, Michigan (NCAA, Big Ten)
DOB: 07/19/97
2013-14 stats: 35 GP | 6 G | 13 A

Werenski is part two of the dynamic duo of American defensemen in this year's class. Said one source about Werenski: "He'll make the same dynamic plays as Hanifin does, but he'll make it seem like he's doing if effortlessly." Werenski's hockey sense drives a ton of value, which will help him to be effective as he leaves the NTDP early to play college hockey at age 17.

12. Mitch Marner, RW, London (OHL)
DOB: 05/05/97
2013-14 stats: 64 GP | 13 G | 46 A

If you want to be entertained at a hockey game, go watch Marner play, because he puts on a show. His puck skills and pure creativity are elite, and, when you combine that with his impressive skating and vision, he can create chances most players can't. He's not going to be the greatest physical or defensive player, but if you need a goal, send him over the boards.

13. Daniel Sprong, RW, Charlottetown (QMJHL)
DOB: 03/17/97
2013-14 stats: 67 GP | 30 G | 38 A

The Dutch Dangler (nobody calls him that to my knowledge ... yet) had a very successful first season in the QMJHL, and was one of the that league's top rookies. He's an explosive player who brings plus-speed, plus-hands and a great shot to the table. And though he's an undersized player who isn't the best in physical battles, he is dangerous skating through the neutral zone.

14. Rasmus Andersson, D, Barrie (OHL)
DOB: 10/27/96
2013-14 stats: 43 GP | 3 G | 10 A

A year ago, I'd have called you nuts to have Andersson outside the top 10 in this year's draft class. But while he's incredibly talented, his play has stagnated somewhat over the past 12 months. Still, he's an incredibly smooth skater and gifted puck handler who can be effective at both ends, and particularly on offense. There are some defensive issues he needs to tweak, and a few makeup concerns have been brought up within the industry.

15. Jeremy Bracco, RW, USNTDP (USHL)
DOB: 03/17/97
2013-14 stats: 34 GP | 9 G | 28 A

Bracco had 58 assists in 54 games with the USA under-17 team, more than Patrick Kane's 50 at the same age. "An assist machine" as one source put it, and a player commonly referred to as an "elite playmaker" by scouts. Bracco is a player with high-end puck skills and a great offensive mind who knows all the little plays that need to be made to generate offense. He's tiny at 5-foot-9, 155 pounds, and he's not going to put anyone through a wall, but he'll dominate on power-play chances.

16. Lawson Crouse, LW, Kingston (OHL)
DOB: 06/23/97
2013-14 stats: 63 GP | 15 G | 12 A

Crouse brings many elements that make him an appealing prospect. He's a quality skater and puck handler -- especially at 6-foot-3 -- and is strong defensively and uses his frame well. The former No. 5 overall pick in the OHL draft didn't put up giant numbers with Kingston this past season, but I think he could be due for a breakout.

17. Erik Cernak, D, HC Kosice (Slovakia)
DOB: 05/28/97
2013-14 stats: 13 GP | 0 G | 0 A

After a subpar 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship, Cernak got some negative press, but playing at that event as a 16-year-old defenseman is never easy. He's always played ahead of his age group though, including strong under-18 showings as a 15- and 16-year-old, and playing in Slovakia's top league at age 16. He's a gifted skater and puck mover for a big defenseman and has a solid projection in terms of own-end output.

18. Matt Spencer, D, Peterborough (OHL)
DOB: 03/24/97
2013-14 stats: 64 GP | 1 G | 15 A

Spencer was so-so in his first OHL season, but I expect a big performance from the former No. 3 OHL prospect in 2014-15. He's a really skilled puck handler who sees the ice well and has the skating tools to evade pressure and get up in the attack. With more consistency and adjustments to playing at a faster pace -- as he showed at the recent Ivan Hlinka -- I think he'll be a good one.

19. Kyle Connor, C, Youngstown (USHL)
DOB: 12/09/96
2013-14 stats: 56 GP | 31 G | 43 A

Connor was one of the top players in the USHL this past season, and as he heads back for a third campaign, he should contend for top scoring honors in that league. He's a high-end skater with a powerful stride who can be a major threat in transition. Connor knows how to make plays with the puck, and while he's not a dazzler, he has above-average possession skills.

20. Denis Malgin, C, GC Lions (NLB)
DOB: 01/18/97
2013-14 stats: 38 GP | 6 G | 13 A

I put Malgin at this spot but by midseason this could look foolishly low. He's been extremely impressive through his 15- and 16-year-old seasons as a small but very dynamic offensive player in terms of speed, hands and creativity. At age 16, he has played against men, and also played against older players internationally.

21. Nicolas Roy, RW, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
DOB: 02/05/97
2013-14 stats: 63 GP | 16 G | 25 A

Roy was a much-hyped prospect coming up into the QMJHL. The tools make you pay attention: He's a 6-foot-3, 190-pound forward with high-end skills and the ability to make plays with his skating and offensive IQ. He's not a threatening player off the puck, and a little more consistency in that area will go a long way to maximizing his value.

22. Evgeni Svechnikov, LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
DOB: 10/31/96
2013-14 stats: 29 GP | 14 G | 13 A

Due to his late-1996 birth date, Svechnikov has been around the prospect scene for a few years (many players on this list were born in 1997). He's a skilled puck handler with good speed and the ability to make tough offensive plays. I'm not sure he's a dynamic offensive talent, but I've seen flashes of that. A recent transfer to North America will make his commitment to the NHL easier to buy.

23. Nick Merkley, C, Kelowna (WHL)
DOB: 05/23/97
2013-14 stats: 66 GP | 25 G | 33 A

Merkley was the top rookie in the WHL this past season, putting up really impressive box-car numbers for a 16-year-old. He's a highly skilled player with a lot of flash and dynamic abilities to his game. Merkley can create, drive the tough areas and is constantly on the attack. However, he can be inconsistent off the puck and with his overall energy at times.

24. Aleksi Saarela, C, Luuko (Liiga)
DOB: 01/07/97
2013-14 stats: 12 GP | 0 G | 2 A

Saarela is one of the youngest players ever to register a point in Finland's top league, but he didn't blow people away in his 16-year-old season. I see a player with great hands, good offensive hockey sense and quality finishing skills, even if he's below average in terms of size and speed. He's tough to read right now. It's not crazy to envision him in the top 10 or out of the first round come June.

25. Jansen Harkins, C, Prince George (WHL)
DOB: 05/23/97
2013-14 stats: 67 GP | 10 G | 24 A

The Cleveland native isn't flashy, but he finds a way to be effective every game, and is solid-to-above average across the board. He has good speed, fine puck skills, is pretty effective defensively and has a decent physical game.

26. Ivan Provorov, D, Brandon (WHL)
DOB: 01/13/97
2013-14 stats: 56 GP | 6 G | 13 A

Provorov suits up for Russia's national program, but has come up playing through the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton program. He's a very gifted and nimble skater, with good-to-great two-way hockey sense. He makes a lot of the tough passes and can be a creator on the power play. He is responsible in his own end, but will be better there once he bulks up.

27. Graham Knott, LW, Niagara (OHL)
DOB: 01/13/97
2013-14 stats: 64 GP | 8 G | 14 A

Knott's a tough player to read, but certainly is a top NHL prospect as of now. He's a big winger (6-foot-3, 192 pounds) who skates very well for his size. Despite posting a mere 22 points in 64 games -- decent, but not great for a 16-year-old -- he has shown that he possesses some above-average skill elements. And while he might not be the most creative playmaker, he projects as a good two-way forward given his natural tools and noteworthy defensive acumen.

28. Mikko Rantanen, RW, TPS (Liiga)
DOB: 10/29/96
2013-14 stats: 37 GP | 5 G | 4 A

Rantanen had a fine 17-year-old season topped off with a strong IIHF under-18 tournament. He's a big winger with impressive skill and vision who can make tough offensive plays. While not a very mean or edgy forward, he does protect the puck well and is strong in possession. He's also a decent penalty killer, and has been deployed in all situations. His skating is the area that needs the most improvement.

29. Blake Speers, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
DOB: 01/02/97
2013-14 stats: 62 GP | 19 G | 21 A

Speers was a top rookie in the OHL in 2013-14, and among the top under-17 scorers. He shows very good speed, hands and intelligence as a passer. He's small -- 5-foot-11, 161 pounds -- and it's debatable if he has the talent you need at that size to be successful in the NHL. For now he remains interesting but needs a big 17-year-old campaign to remain in the first-round mix.

30. Thomas Novak, C, Waterloo (USHL)
DOB: 04/28/97
2013-14 stats: 25 GP | 26 G | 44 A

Novak started off his draft season with a bang, leading the Ivan Hlinka tournament in scoring after a strong 16-year-old season for St. Thomas Academy. He's a very good skater, especially given his size, and has above-average puck skills and a great wrist shot. He showed flashes at the Hlinka of being a high-IQ, high-pace player, but projecting high school players in that area is always tough. As a result, this will be a telling USHL season for Novak.

Honorable Mentions (in alphabetical order):

Sebastian Aho, LW, Karpat (Liiga)
Sebastian Aho, D, Skelleftea (SHL)
Paul Bittner, LW, Portland (WHL)
Gustaf Franzen, C, Kitchener (OHL)
Nikita Korostelev, RW, Sarnia (OHL)
Kirill Pilipenko, RW, HK MVD (MHL)
Parker Wotherspoon, D, Tri-City (WHL)

Back
Top Bottom