OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie
Follow

Stepan helped off ice after going down, clutching left leg/knee, during #NYR conditioning test. No contact, simply fell to ice...
10:52 AM - 24 Sep 2014

Pat Leonard [emoji]10004[/emoji] @PLeonardNYDN
Follow

#NYR say Derek Stepan has a fractured fibula. No timetable

No contact fractured fibula? Yikes.

how in the world?!?!

*runs for a glass milk*

Dropping like flies already :smh:

I saw Jordan Staal broke his lower right leg last night and now Datsyuk is out a month with the shoulder.

you'll see the role of 4th lines starting to change with that. more speed on those lines. boston is heading in that direction (supposedly)

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/277016651.html

Interesting coaching strategy revolution going on.

NHL teams have slowly figured out that dumping and chasing is dumb, wonder how this will effect the red wings going forward. They were the first to really get this, looks like that market inefficiency is evaporating.
Read about this on Grantland as well

Makes complete sense tho. I'm always more afraid when a team comes in carrying the puck compared to the dump and chase. When carrying, there's a constant shot threat throughout the zone entry. the dump and chase allows at least one defenseman to get into good position

you'll see the role of 4th lines starting to change with that. more speed on those lines. boston is heading in that direction (supposedly)

Yup....in today's NHL, the 4th line has to have skill. Boston's Merlot line was a perfect example of that, eventho Shawn Thornton was an anomaly because he was a skilled enforcer.

Yup....in today's NHL, the 4th line has to have skill. Boston's Merlot line was a perfect example of that, eventho Shawn Thornton was an anomaly because he was a skilled enforcer.

Shawn Thornton is a great example of a skilled enforcer. Of course, he's not going to dangle on everyone every night but he was smart and knew how to play the game and when to drop the gloves.

This folks is the modern day "enforcer" in the NHL.

I know it's only only one game in preseason but I liked how William Nylander looked out on the ice for Leafs today. 

I too was impressed. Kid looks like a pre-teen out there but he can certainly be a great player in this league if he can make up for his lack of size with speed, hands, and elusiveness -- much like Patrick Kane.

Last edited:

Shawn Thornton is a great example of a skilled enforcer. Of course, he's not going to dangle on everyone every night but he was smart and knew how to play the game and when to drop the gloves.

Sentimentality aside, I'm glad Thornton is gone.

He was horrendous last year.

Sentimentality aside, I'm glad Thornton is gone.

He was horrendous last year.

this. it's time to get some of the providence kids up. spooner in particular. claude hates his defensive game, but that speed and shot...gotta have him.

Sorta hockey related, thought it was a cool test

Season needs to start already |I

Last edited:
coaches/teams are coming around on puck posession and CORSI. you cant score if you dont have the puck, and you dont have the puck if youre throwing it up and hoping you beat the defense to it. the only thing is that you need big, skilled players to hold off the defense past the blueline.

darryl sutter :pimp:

Johnny Hockey > football

Dude's gonna be good, full bias yes, but I can see him netting 20 goals like Monahan :pimp: He's been doing this all summer too. Future stud? I hope

A few quick Caps notes....

-Burakovsky has looked REALLY good this preseason and will probably start the year w/ the Caps.

-Kuznetsov has yet to establish himself. I hope this doesn't turn into another Radulov situation under Trotz. Would be a major shame.

-Orpik has been good.

-Niskanen bad.

-Tom Wilson won't be ready for a few weeks, but he should have a prominent role under Trotz. Anything under 15 goals would be a disappointment.

-Burakovsky has looked REALLY good this preseason and will probably start the year w/ the Caps.

-Kuznetsov has yet to establish himself. I hope this doesn't turn into another Radulov situation under Trotz. Would be a major shame.

-Orpik has been good.

-Niskanen bad.

-Tom Wilson won't be ready for a few weeks, but he should have a prominent role under Trotz. Anything under 15 goals would be a disappointment.

I told you so hah im like pacino in the recruit... A scary judge of talent

And thx for payin niskanen that truck load. We pay enough bad defenseman lol

-Orpik has been good.

-Niskanen bad.

I told you so hah im like pacino in the recruit... A scary judge of talent

And thx for payin niskanen that truck load. We pay enough bad defenseman lol

:lol: Whispers of the KHL for Kuznetsov. He's got to show out tonight vs. Philly. A LOT of pressure on the kid.

mass outrage in Boston that Spooner is being sent back down to Providence. hoping it's just temporary and he'll be back up with the big squad shortly, though

Burakovsky

q6R78ON.gif

19 years old and has played himself on the roster...most likely as the 2C.

Get familiar.

Kid is :pimp:

Burakovsky

q6R78ON.gif

19 years old and has played himself on the roster...most likely as the 2C.

Get familiar.

Kid is :pimp:

I lost my **** at yesterday's game after this goal...it was amazing and then we lose all momentum by allowing a goal

Back
Top Bottom