OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

Quite frankly I feel BL should've always remained in his mid to late 20s with no children to get the best stories.

Its one thing I'm worried about with the show.

I'm not against the concept or idea but when I look at DC they're lacking a lot in the black superhero dept.

They don't have one that they can market as a marquee player. The one that comes to mind for most they do not own (Static). So I'm also thinking in terms of what can attract the most fans.

When I think of it Reed Richards is the most prominent hero that is a husband AND father in comics.

Well they could market Vixen. She has her own animated series and she's been appearing in the Legends of Tomorrow tv show. As far as black male heroes go, they have John Stewart, but he's always taking a backseat to Hal Jordan despite his huge fanbase.

Wish they would do more with Steel since every other Superman character has been getting a push lately.

John Stewart had a good run post-Wrath of the First Lantern. The GLC book was John's book after #21 when Van Jensen took over. Then there were the two minis afterward after John became leader of the entire on-field Corps. Every Green Lantern book other than the main title was good during New 52 (GLC, Sinestro, Red Lanterns, New Guardians), but no one knew outside of GL heads.

A Val-Zod book would be pretty sick. Speaking of black heroes and the Fantastic Four. Mister Terrific is about to lead a F4-esque type of team. It's not a family team, but it's a 4 person dynamic with science and cosmic exploration. I normally don't care for MT, but Lemire is writing it and Ivan Reis is doing the art for at least the first arc. Plus they got rid of that ugly New 52 sleeveless costume.

img_0765-2000x1500.jpg

Is 130 USD a good price for full secret wars 1-12 with probably 9.2 on each comic plus a spawn 1 in 8 range a good deal?

I'm so glad that Valiant Universe is about to hit the screens

The series is written by by Aaron Schoenke, Joe Harris, and Andrew Rowe, with Aaron and Sean Schoenke of the Bat in the Sun / Super Power Beat Down YouTube fame. Playing Valiant’s heavy hitters are Michael Rowe (Arrow) as Colin King/Ninjak, Jason David Frank (Power Rangers) as Bloodshot, Derek Theler (Marvel’s New Warriors) as X-O Manowar, John Hennigan (Glow) as The Eternal Warrior, Ciera Foster (Two and a Half Men) as Livewire, Damion Potier (TrueBlood) as Shadowman, Craig Robert Young (The Last Ship) as British MI6 Agent Neville Alcott, and finally Alex Meglei (Divergent) and Kevin Porter (Dodgeball) respectively as Archer & Armstrong. There was a teaser trailer that dropped earlier.

Fans will have to wait just a few days before the exciting first full trailer will drop, but SYFY WIRE has an exclusive clip of the trailer of never-before-seen footage to share and an introduction by cast member and Australian pop star Chantelle Barry, who plays the series’ main villain, Roku (see above), who many Valiant readers will know from Matt Kindt’s epic run on Ninjak.

Oh, they finally done with the evil Captain America storylines . The real Captain America is byke. Amen!

Captain America: Fighting Evil Again

By GEORGE GENE GUSTINESAUG. 28, 2017

Continue reading the main storyShare This Page
  • leader of Hydra, a Nazi-like organization.

The moment of truth comes in Issue No. 10 of Secret Empire, which will be released by Marvel Comics on Wednesday. The series has chronicled the Captain’s takeover of the United States and many of his former allies forming an underground resistance.

The Secret Empire story line, written by Nick Spencer and drawn by several artists, has been controversial since Captain America uttered the words “Hail Hydra,” back in May 2016. There were death threats aimed at Mr. Spencer on social media, accusations of anti-Semitism (the Sentinel of Liberty, as the hero is nicknamed, was created by two Jewish men, Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, and fans did not like the character cozying up to evil) and more. Read New York magazine’s “First Captain America Became Evil, Then the Comics World Erupted,” for more details.

Axel Alonso, Marvel’s editor in chief, stands by the project, and Mr. Spencer’s desire to tell a tale about creeping fascism. “We understood the story would challenge readers, but we also know how it ended,” he said. “We also thought the story had something important to say about democracy, freedom and the core American values that Captain America embodies.”

Any parallels to the current political climate have been coincidental. Marvel had no idea that Secret Empire would end “at a time when our country would be engaged in — let’s call it heated debate — about fascism,” Mr. Alonso said.

Photo
    29marvel-item2-blog427.jpg

Jack Kirby and Joe Simon created two patriotic heroes: the straight-laced Captain America and the satirical Fighting American, who returns in October. This version of the cover of Issue No. 1 highlights the fascist Captain America controversy.CreditTitan Comics
    Captain America’s transformation to villain (including a muted green-and-yellow uniform) and back to goodness (and his classic red, white and blue costume) involves cosmic shenanigans better left to the comic book pages to explain. A more easily understood moment is (spoiler alert) seeing the Marvel heroes, drawn by Steve McNiven, no longer at odds with one another, but standing tall, united and smiling.

It seems fitting that the announcement of Captain America’s return to the side of angels is on Monday, what would have been Mr. Kirby’s 100th birthday. The Jack Kirby Museum and Research Center is celebrating him in New York through Wednesday.

Photo
    29marvel-item3-master675.jpg

Captain America (in red, white and blue) confronts his evil self (in green and yellow) in this battle for his soul in Issue No. 10 of Secret Empire, which is out on Wednesday. CreditMarvel Entertainment
    Another of Mr. Kirby’s and Mr. Simon’s creations will return in October when Titan Comics publishes the first issue of Fighting American, another patriotic hero — though this one with a satirical bent. One of the covers for Issue No. 1, in comic stores on Oct. 11, which would have been Mr. Simon’s 104th birthday, displays some of that edge.

It pokes at the Captain America controversy with cover lines that read: “No secrets. No empires. Just an all-American hero.”

Looks like Marvel is going to be taking a nice amount of my money especially with some of their upcoming series. Really looking forward to War Machine Punisher, Punisher Platoon & Falcon.

On another note, this Generations series has been decent at best. So far the best one has been Hawkeye. I'm a big RiRi Williams fan and didn't like this Iron Man/ Iron Heart issue. It had a good message, but there was too much dialog and no action. Interesting that they're saying the "far flung future" version of Black Panther is suppose to be her grandson.

Would any Valiant heads recommend Bloodshot: Salvation for someone who's never read any Bloodshot before? Lemire writing and LaRosa interiors is a really good sell.

I've never read any Valiant until the current X-O ongoing and there's stuff I don't know, but it's been a good jumping on point and I feel like it's fairly self-contained, but I can (and plan to) go back and read the Venditti run.

I'm just mad I didn't get into Valiant sooner. I need to go back and get into Harbinger and Shadowman from 2012. I got my shop to sub me to Eternity that's starting this month because it looks like some good cosmic hype.

I'm just mad I didn't get into Valiant sooner. I need to go back and get into Harbinger and Shadowman from 2012. I got my shop to sub me to Eternity that's starting this month because it looks like some good cosmic hype.
I believe they are doing a 50% off sale on thier site currently.

Granted, many people complained about Bendis' work in the past ten years. But does this hurt Marvel?

Bendis has been washed for years. This could be great for everyone, because there's Marvel characters that he's hoarded that a lot of people wanted other writers to take a stab at, like Miles. (I understand its his creation, but the series has been weak for a minute.)

Maybe this is what he needs. A new universe to play with. A lot of the best writers have written for both publishers. I'm sure whatever he does first is going to garner a lot of attention. I kind of want BMB to stay away from the current DC books I'm reading. Or put any of the characters I like in one of his events. I know Carol Danvers fans are pretty upset with him after CW2. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom