OFFICIAL 2021 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cincinnati is a really good team and they had a worse shot to make it than a 2 loss UGA and Oklahoma squad. The system is still presenting the same issues that the BCS did. We’re basically committed to 2 SEC teams or SEC + ND (unless Oklahoma is undefeated)then Clemson and ND unless Oklahoma is undefeated :lol:. It’s going to get boring realll quick and the G5s have no shot.
I saw something that argued as of last year the BCS computers would have produced similar top 4s besides a handful of situations where a different 1 loss or 2 loss team would have gotten in 4th and they would have been more favorable to the G5s and Pac 12. Going to 8 teams with the BCS formula may be the best set up.

Hopefully tOSU doesn't get beat by Clemson again but at this point the distance between Clemson and Bama and everyone else is pretty significant. ND and tOSU probably both getting washed. I think what people are really saying is that they're tired of seeing a similar combination of the same 4 teams each year but Clemson and Bama are just that good. Ohio State will be there most years if they win the Big10 and a combination of Oklahoma, Notre Dame and potentially an undefeated Pac 12 team will get the 4th spot unless the SEC has a compelling argument for a second team.

at least it would be a new team getting an opportunity that would have been granted to certain other teams if they were in the exact same position

now we just get to see Norte dame get another opportunity they don’t really deserve when other programs could have gotten a chance on the bigger stage

literally comparing something that happened yesterday to something that happened months ago

What are we really arguing about? What has A&M done to be more deserving than Notre Dame. They're both deeply flawed teams that will get blown out. If you'd like A&M to have the annual Oklahoma "well at least we made it" trophy, go right ahead but It's really a toss-up between two good but not great teams.

What are we really arguing about? What has A&M done to be more deserving than Notre Dame. They're both deeply flawed teams that will get blown out. If you'd like A&M to have the annual Oklahoma "well at least we made it" trophy, go right ahead but It's really a toss-up between two good but not great teams.

I mean considering a conference championship game has been viewed as a playoff off game previously

why not use that as grounds to eliminate Norte dame.. and let another team get a shot at it

ND boosters must've paid somebody under the table , those suckers don't past the eye test .

I like that Ian Book dude as much as Jake Fromm

ND is the exact same team as TAMU

Exactly. Mond and Book are basically the same players. This is why I think it's hilarious that A&M fans are so vehement that they belong in Notre Dame doesn't. Both have embarrassing, blowout losses to the top teams in the country.

Exactly. Mond and Book are basically the same players. This is why I think it's hilarious that A&M fans are so vehement that they belong in Notre Dame doesn't. Both have embarrassing, blowout losses to the top teams in the country.

if they’re the same team

let’s see the new team get molly whooped instead of the same one we’ve repeatedly seen get molly whooped

So by that logic a 4-2 Oregon team with losses to a 1-3 Cal team and Oregon State should be in this year? That’s where I don’t think winning a P5 conference should guarantee anyone a spot.

Not so much about the conference as a whole but there’s been instances of teams being in conference championship games and having multiple (more than 2 losses). Losing more than two games but pulling an upset at the end of the year shouldn’t be rewarded with a playoff spot IMO
Expand to 8, power 5 regular season champs and 3 at large. Eliminate conference championship games.

Like I said earlier - I think the more annoying thing to me than anything else is how it gets covered.

If you watched anything other than SEC network, you’d think Notre Dame was a dead *** lock and there was no comparison to be made. Which is straight out foolish.

And it’s also the point nako xl nako xl has been arguing. It’s only that way because Notre Dame was ranked third and beat Clemson’s B-squad.

It was decided the first week of the playoff who was going to be in unless they played themselves out of it. And that’s generally how it’s been every year.

Expand to 8, power 5 regular season champs and 3 at large. Eliminate conference championship games.
I don’t think you can eliminate championship games without everyone playing everyone within a conference. It’s too messy.

But I think 8 makes the most sense long term. There’s got to be equal playoff equity amongst the conferences if we’re going to run a real playoff and not the annual College Football Championship Invitational. Otherwise what are we doing?

I don’t think you can eliminate championship games without everyone playing everyone within a conference. It’s too messy.

But I think 8 makes the most sense long term. There’s got to be equal playoff equity amongst the conferences if we’re going to run a real playoff and not the annual College Football Championship Invitational. Otherwise what are we doing?
No format will be perfect but 8 is the most fair.

Also, SOS could play a factor in determining conference champs when teams have identical records but don’t play each other. This gives an incentive to play tougher OOC games. Scrapping multiple bye weeks could help in scheduling as well.

No format will be perfect but 8 is the most fair.

Also, SOS could play a factor in determining conference champs when teams have identical records but don’t play each other. This gives an incentive to play tougher OOC games. Scrapping multiple bye weeks could help in scheduling as well.
They’ve gotta decide long term how to handle P5 and G5. From there you can iron out the scheduling stuff. Ideally they split and run pretty mirrored structures from a scheduling standpoint.

I think you go 8 or 9 game conference schedules. 3 or 4 OOC P5 games, one bye week.

Conference title games. 8-team playoff.

I am fine with an 8 team playoff. I just don't trust the committee's judgment without specific objective standards that they abide by. I also wish they would wait until the very end of the season before releasing any interim rankings. Let the AP and other ranking outfits rank the teams during the season. Look at the full body of work of all of these teams and conferences and then evaluate at the end. I think releasing the interim rankings lock them in to picking certain teams then they need mental gymnastics to make it work at the end.

Gimme 8, baby.

Each P5 champ and 3 at large. Whether or not some are good enough to win all the marbles, that’s one of the exciting things about BB. You always have upsets; makes it exciting.

tenor.gif

Gimme 8, baby.

Each P5 champ and 3 at large. Whether or not some are good enough to win all the marbles, that’s one of the exciting things about BB. You always have upsets; makes it exciting.

People are hell bent on status quo, and status quo has made college football season remarkably boring.

People are hell bent on status quo, and status quo has made college football season remarkably boring.

Everyone knows it’s Bama and Clemson this year. It would be great to see someone take them out before the Championship Game though. Like you said, it’s kinda stale ATM.

Pros and cons to everything I suppose. I’ve always been a fan of the 8 team format. Besides that, there are times when the 2 best teams aren’t just in the same conference, but the same division.

No one seems to complain when some bum *** team like the Washington Football team is in the NFL playoffs. At the very least, every P5 Conference gets at least 1 team in and it’s put up or shut up.

My problem with 8 is they’ll have a (for example) 3 loss LSU at 8 who lost to Auburn, Bama, and Texas AM and consider those “good losses” since any loss in the SEC is good and counts more than wins in some other conferences

My problem with 8 is they’ll have a (for example) 3 loss LSU at 8 who lost to Auburn, Bama, and Texas AM and consider those “good losses” since any loss in the SEC is good and counts more than wins in some other conferences
Yea, SEC would’ve gotten TAMU, UGA and UF this year :lol:. They still would’ve screwed Cincy and Coastal. Georgia didn’t have one signature win. Smacked by both Bama and UF.

If they went to 8, they’d have to have some stipulations to limit entries by conference. No more than 2 per conference.

If they aren’t going to separate G5, they would need a path for guaranteed G5 bid. Like the old BCS bowls. Undefeated conference champ, ranked in top 12, minimum SOS thresholds... something.

They’ve got to find a way to inject some variability into the season. Because right now all they’ve created is a never ending cycle that feeds Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State. To a lesser level Notre Dame. Georgia is closing the recruiting gap but can’t consistently get on-field results. Oklahoma and Oregon are fringe candidates, but their margin for error annually is zero.

Literally nobody else really matters unless they have a lightning in a bottle year or one of the Big 3-4 stumbles twice in a regular season and plays themselves out.

For me the whole point of going from the BCS to the college football playoff is for us to find a champion. Expanding to eight teams would be interesting because we would get more matchups between top teams but I don't believe it would help us find a champion. As has been said before, most years we can't find more than two or three worthy teams, expanding to eight won't help. The reason we see the same teams over and over is because those are the best teams over and over. It's been like this since the beginning of college football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom