OFFICIAL 2021 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you’re agreeing he’s not a TE :lol:. Definitely a valuable piece to be used as an offensive weapon. He’s probably a souped up Funchess if we’re being completely honestly, which isn’t a knock at all.

in no way a traditional inline TE

but I mean if ertz and gesicki are called TEs

but I wouldnt limit him to just a singular big slot guy either.. if I had to define him I’d say hybrid h back

OU/UF should be fun. Wonder how many more opt outs we're going to see.

But, when I said it... :nerd:
I didn’t disagree with you then, either.

It’s a stupid format. Those four teams are in every year basically unless two of them get knocked off.

Alabama and Clemson are dead *** locks at this point unless they lose twice. Notre Dame is winning any close head-to-head as an at-large. All OSU has to do is win a bad conference every year.

The Big 12 and Pac can’t get conference winners in unless two of the big 3 or 4 stumble.

Or don’t get embarrassed by Alabama and y’all probably could’ve gotten in. If that was a 7-10 point loss I truly think A&M would be in over Notre Dame right now.

Nobody is beating Clemson or Bama in the regular season to keep them out so I’m not sure what the solution is. It’s definitely not adding more teams. Expand to 8 and get some teams like coastal Carolina or Cincy to play Bama? Yeah that’s just a waste of time

It’ll expand to 8 then folks will cry because their 2 loss non conference champion team was left out at number 9

Last edited:
I'm definitely not here stumping for Notre Dame but I don't understand the outcry from A&M fans. Do you think Texas A&M is a different team than they were when they played Alabama the first time? I really don't think so, they've looked very beatable throughout the season, It's not like they're peeking now or anything. They look like the same good but not great team they've been all season. If A&M played Alabama again, we'd see another four touchdown beating.

at least it would be a new team getting an opportunity that would have been granted to certain other teams if they were in the exact same position

now we just get to see Norte dame get another opportunity they don’t really deserve when other programs could have gotten a chance on the bigger stage

literally comparing something that happened yesterday to something that happened months ago

Can we all agree at this point the playoff as structured is bad for college football?
This year just really exposed how dumb it is for a committee to be involved in a “playoff” to decide the champion

Either do a real results only based playoffs like any other sport/league, or gives us the top 2 teams that would be great for tv like they try to set up every year anyway

This year just really exposed how dumb it is for a committee to be involved in a “playoff” to decide the champion

Either do a real results only based playoffs like any other sport/league, or gives us the top 2 teams that would be great for tv like they try to set up every year anyway
They need to split P5 from G5. No more independents. Tell Notre Dame and BYU to find a conference or get lost. Schedules need to be 8 conference games plus one OOC game from each conference. No more G5 or FCS nonsense across the board.

If you’ve got 5 power conferences, the champs all deserve a playoff seat... The “NOT ALL ARE CREATED EQUAL” argument is stupid. If they’re not equal, don’t have 5. If that means it’s a six or eight team playoff, figure it out.

But 4 teams and guaranteeing one P5 champ is shafted every year is dumb. Notre Dame being the guaranteed at-large every year they don’t suck is dumb.

It needs to be reworked at some level.

They need to split P5 from G5. No more independents. Tell Notre Dame and BYU to find a conference or get lost. Schedules need to be 8 conference games plus one OOC game from each conference. No more G5 or FCS nonsense across the board.

If you’ve got 5 power conferences, the champs all deserve a playoff seat... The “NOT ALL ARE CREATED EQUAL” argument is stupid. If they’re not equal, don’t have 5. If that means it’s a six or eight team playoff, figure it out.

But 4 teams and guaranteeing one P5 champ is shafted every year is dumb. Notre Dame being the guaranteed at-large every year they don’t suck is dumb.

It needs to be reworked at some level.

So by that logic a 4-2 Oregon team with losses to a 1-3 Cal team and Oregon State should be in this year? That’s where I don’t think winning a P5 conference should guarantee anyone a spot.

Not so much about the conference as a whole but there’s been instances of teams being in conference championship games and having multiple (more than 2 losses). Losing more than two games but pulling an upset at the end of the year shouldn’t be rewarded with a playoff spot IMO

It's fine the way it is, wouldn't be opposed to going to 6 though. Allows better chance for the non P5 teams or deserving at large non conf. champions. Take a game off the regular season as well. 15 games in a normal year is ridiculous especially with no compensation.

Last edited:
Cincinnati is a really good team and they had a worse shot to make it than a 2 loss UGA and Oklahoma squad. The system is still presenting the same issues that the BCS did. We’re basically committed to 2 SEC teams or SEC + ND (unless Oklahoma is undefeated)then Clemson and ND unless Oklahoma is undefeated :lol:. It’s going to get boring realll quick and the G5s have no shot.

So by that logic a 4-2 Oregon team with losses to a 1-3 Cal team and Oregon State should be in this year? That’s where I don’t think winning a P5 conference should guarantee anyone a spot.
I agree. PAC 12 didn’t deserve a spot. But this thing as currently constructed favors the SEC way too much. We basically walk in the season handing them two spots and it’s up to them to lose them.

Can't get too up in arms about Cincy this year with that schedule. Didn't really allow for OOC P5 opponents due to the protocols. Same with UCF a few years ago. You gotta have at least 1 signature win against a P5 opponent to make up for the weakness of your league. Tulsa ain't going to cut it. Like USF and Memphis before them. We can't act like we don't all know there's brand equity with these big time historic programs. They'll get more leeway regardless, McElroy said it great, they have to play themselves out of a bid. It's basically only 2 spots up for grabs each season with Bama and Clemson anyway. And with the way those 2 programs have dominated the playoff it's hard to argue.

Can't get too up in arms about Cincy this year with that schedule. Didn't really allow for OOC P5 opponents due to the protocols. Same with UCF a few years ago. You gotta have at least 1 signature win against a P5 opponent to make up for the weakness of your league. Tulsa ain't going to cut it. Like USF and Memphis before them. We can't act like we don't all know there's brand equity with these big time historic programs. They'll get more leeway regardless, McElroy said it great, they have to play themselves out of a bid. It's basically only 2 spots up for grabs each season with Bama and Clemson anyway. And with the way those 2 programs have dominated the playoff it's hard to argue.
G5 just needs their own thing. If UCF undefeated two straight years isn’t getting close, nobody is.

Let them go compete for their own thing.

And I’d argue OSU is clumped with Bama and Clemson.. It’s basically everyone else fighting for 1 spot unless something really goes off the rails.

Cincinnati is a really good team and they had a worse shot to make it than a 2 loss UGA and Oklahoma squad. The system is still presenting the same issues that the BCS did. We’re basically committed to 2 SEC teams or SEC + ND (unless Oklahoma is undefeated)then Clemson and ND unless Oklahoma is undefeated :lol:. It’s going to get boring realll quick and the G5s have no shot.

whole thing gives me auburn ‘04 vibes

if it was certain other schools it woulda been a big deal.. but it was auburn which obviously is a big school in a big boy conference with history but they weren’t certain other schools

If we’re being honest, prominent P5s will avoid Cincy now though. Just like they did when UCF was humming. The system just doesn’t make sense. There’s an argument to make that Cincy has better wins than OSU, but no chance in hell were they getting in over them.

G5 just needs their own thing. If UCF undefeated two straight years isn’t getting close, nobody is.

Let them go compete for their own thing.

And I’d argue OSU is clumped with Bama and Clemson.. It’s basically everyone else fighting for 1 spot unless something really goes off the rails.

tOSU does get the benefit of the doubt as well, but not as much as those 2. Bama and Clemson have both made it 6 outta 7 years now. They gotta lose twice minimum pretty much every time or they're getting in. Think tOSU has made it 4 outta 7 and OU 3 outta 7. The Pac 12 maybe should rethink their entire situation going forward cause they basically a G5 conference perception wise at this point.

If we’re being honest, prominent P5s will avoid Cincy now though. Just like they did when UCF was humming. The system just doesn’t make sense. There’s an argument to make that Cincy has better wins than OSU, but no chance in hell were they getting in over them.

What argument does Cincy have over tOSU besides games played? And I hate tOSU probably as much as any team. Unless I'm missing something, Tulsa is their best win, no?

Championship game legit set in stone at this point , we already know the 2022 title game gon be SEC Champ vs Clemson or Ohio State :lol: :smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom