OFFICIAL 2021 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have a playoff. We have an annual championship invitational. Calling it a playoff is silly and disingenuous.

College football has always been flawed. But the current structure has created a machine that feeds the top 1% at a higher level than it ever has.

If you're fine with that, so be it. It's not sour grapes. It's the truth. It's literally the only sport on the planet that operates this way.

I like that though. The tradition of bowls and polls or what make college football unique and unlike any other sport on the planet. The structure of college football isn't perfect by any means but maintaining tradition is important

This isn't some high-minded concept and you're not bringing up any original ideas that haven't been circulated for years. I understand your points, I just disagree with them.

Disagreeing =/= not understanding
You fundamentally don’t understand if you think that ESPN has the same motivation for the SEC and the MWC because it “has contracts with both”. That’s not disagreeing. That’s literally not understanding.

You fundamentally don’t understand if you think that ESPN has the same motivation for the SEC and the MWC because it “has contracts with both”. That’s not disagreeing. That’s literally not understanding.

I never said that ESPN or the powers that be have The same motivations and money tied into smaller conferences than they do power conferences, specifically the SEC. I said I don't think that's a problem. I don't think it's what's leading SEC teams to be ranked higher and I don't think that's why SEC teams are more successful in the playoffs when they get there.

"Maintaining tradition" is why half the bowl games on the slate this time of year are unwatchable. It's why, frankly, I can't stand most of A&M's fan base.

Things change. The sport on a whole is less interesting now than it's been in forever.

I don't see how anyone looks at ending a season with MORE good teams having a chance to play for a title and play meaningful games isn't a better solution than what we have now.

It might end for awhile with Alabama and Clemson ultimately playing in a title game. But over time giving more teams a chance to compete is going to spread some of the talent back out.
I never said that ESPN or the powers that be have The same motivations and money tied into smaller conferences than they do power conferences, specifically the SEC. I said I don't think that's a problem. I don't think it's what's leading SEC teams to be ranked higher and I don't think that's why SEC teams are more successful in the playoffs when they get there.
It's absolutely a big reason why the SEC teams continue to dominate recruiting rankings year over year over year.

And a huge reason why they can pay coaches and staffs what they do. And have the facilities and infrastructure they do. All of which funnels down to the results you're leaning on.

ESPN has TV deals with every P5 (and most G5) conferences. This idea that there's some type of scheme to specifically promote Bama, Clemson, OSU and ND (a team ESPN doesn't even have a deal with) is ridiculous. Those teams get more coverage because they win more often. College football is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more you win, the more attention you get, the more money comes into your program, the better facilities and coaches you can hire, etc. Success begets success.

:lol: The back pedal. Give it a rest man. This is amateur hour.

Y'all whining about Bama/Clemson getting in. It's pretty simple beat them during the season. Nobody has been able to do that consistently. When you do you get rewarded, it LSU last year. None of these other programs are on their level. It's just facts, expansion isn't going to change that.

You're just mad I'm not leaning into your conspiratorial SEC talk 😂😂😂. Is it a conspiracy the SEC teams keep winning playoff games when they get in as well? Are the refs in on it too? 😂😂😂

I'm not here to bang my chest about the SEC but I'm also not going to complain about the system being broken when it's not.

:lol: The back pedal. Give it a rest man. This is amateur hour.

Please explain to me how those two statements are in any way contradictory. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean you're right. We can just agree to disagree 😂

Please explain to me how those two statements are in any way contradictory. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean you're right. We can just agree to disagree 😂
You literally said that ESPN has money in all of the conferences so there’s no SEC favor on one hand, then completely deny saying it on the other. It’s pretty straightforward.

Y'all whining about Bama/Clemson getting in. It's pretty simple beat them during the season. Nobody has been able to do that consistently. When you do you get rewarded, it LSU last year. None of these other programs are on their level. It's just facts, expansion isn't going to change that.
💯💯💯 One of the few times I'm incomplete agreement with MVP MVP

Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney are dominating the sport at a level in which nobody - literally nobody - ever has. And they're doing it at exactly the same time.

If that doesn't make you stop and wonder if something is broken, maybe nothing will.

And just as certain schools have brand equity, so do conferences, to continue to whine about the SEC when the conference has won half of the playoff championships so far after winning 7 of the last 8 BCS championships, then yea beat them when you get on that stage and the perception will be different. College football has never been like the other sports, trying to turn it into more like the NFL or CBB is futile. You got 12 weeks to make your case, if you don't that's on you.

And just as certain schools have brand equity, so do conferences, to continue to whine about the SEC when the conference has won half of the playoff championships so far after winning 7 of the last 8 BCS championships, then yea beat them when you get on that stage and the perception will be different. College football has never been like the other sports, trying to turn it into more like the NFL or CBB is futile. You got 12 weeks to make your case, if you don't that's on you.

Exactly. Saying "bu, but the Pac-12 champ (who went 9-3) and the Boise State (who played one ranked team all year) don't have a shot, it's not fair!" is futile. I'll admit that my team isn't getting it done on the field. I'm not going to complain about the system being broken.

Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney are dominating the sport at a level in which nobody - literally nobody - ever has. And they're doing it at exactly the same time.

If that doesn't make you stop and wonder if something is broken, maybe nothing will.

You mean the 2 best coaches who consistently have 2 of the best recruiting classes every single year for the past decade are dominating? What a novel concept. They're haven't been dynasties before in the sport? Like what are y'all complaining about, Bama and Clemson don't deserve the cache they've built up in a sport that since it's hit the mainstream has ALWAYS been about brand equity? They're going out on the field and winning playing other good to great teams. Crying about a Cincy or UCF or whoever not getting a shot seems silly. A&M JUST got good this season, Oregon has wet the bed almost every time when given an opportunity to change the narrative (LSU, Auburn)., etc.

Clemson over Ohio St in a route and Alabama over ND in an even bigger route.

Clemson over Alabama.

I hate to be cliche but I think the battle in the trenches is going to determine the title game. Mac Jones is extremely accurate and has dynamic playmakers at his disposal but he also has the benefit of having a dominant offensive line. Mac has all day to survey the field. Even good defensives haven't touched him all year. The key for Clemson is getting pressure with their front four and getting the Alabama offense off schedule (which is a tall task). If Clemson can't get pressure on the QB, Alabama is going to put up 40. Regardless, I think it'll be a high scoring game.

I hate to be cliche but I think the battle in the trenches is going to determine the title game. Mac Jones is extremely accurate and has dynamic playmakers at his disposal but he also has the benefit of having a dominant offensive line. Mac has all day to survey the field. Even good defensives haven't touched him all year. The key for Clemson is getting pressure with their front four and getting the Alabama offense off schedule (which is a tall task). If Clemson can't get pressure on the QB, Alabama is going to put up 40. Regardless, I think it'll be a high scoring game.

Basically a Toss up game.

ESPN has TV deals with every P5 (and most G5) conferences. This idea that there's some type of scheme to specifically promote Bama, Clemson, OSU and ND (a team ESPN doesn't even have a deal with) is ridiculous. Those teams get more coverage because they win more often. College football is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more you win, the more attention you get, the more money comes into your program, the better facilities and coaches you can hire, etc. Success begets success.

I agree that the playoff hasn't helped parody. Prior to the college football playoff, teams used to strive to play in the best bowl game possible. Now with the playoff, players and teams are checking out the moment they can't win a championship. This is funneling down to recruiting. Recruiting has always been top heavy but now recruits are even more concentrated in a handful of schools that they believe will give them exposure and a chance to make a playoff
Fair enough. I'm not going to argue really any specific side here with you - because college football is a lot like arguing politics, both sides have warts. There is no perfect solution.

The point here is that no matter the reason - the sport is as top heavy as ever, it's not changing any time soon, and plenty of sports have forced change to try and level the field. College football won't and ESPN doesn't want that either. They are in bed with this sport, and much like pro sports with their Lakers and Yankees and Cowboys....it benefits everyone when those brand names stay in the limelight.

Im really over the whole ND wave they been trash and will get WASHED AGAIN just to be humiliated. Texas A&M got finessed Florida too...

You mean the 2 best coaches who consistently have 2 of the best recruiting classes every single year for the past decade are dominating? What a novel concept. They're haven't been dynasties before in the sport? Like what are y'all complaining about, Bama and Clemson don't deserve the cache they've built up in a sport that since it's hit the mainstream has ALWAYS been about brand equity?
I'm saying NOBODY in the HISTORY of this 150 year old sport has done what they're doing at the level and over the span of time in which they're doing it. It's literally never happened at this level. Ever.

Granted, Saban is probably the greatest CFB coach of all-time.

But the sport in general is as stale as it's ever been - and that's coming from the perspective of someone whose team is in better position to actually compete than they've literally ever been since World War II.

In another direction... Billy Napier turned down Auburn?

YIKES.

He gonna wait for Tennessee to open and go home?

I'm saying NOBODY in the HISTORY of this 150 year old sport has done what they're doing at the level and over the span of time in which they're doing it. It's literally never happened at this level. Ever.

Granted, Saban is probably the greatest CFB coach of all-time.

But the sport in general is as stale as it's ever been - and that's coming from the perspective of someone whose team is in better position to actually compete than they've literally ever been since World War II.

Saban is doing something unprecedented as far as winning titles. But other programs have had runs of sustained excellence before in the history of the sport (Miami in the 80s). When has college football NOT been the blue bloods dominating? It just shifts to which program that is. Urban Meyer was doing that at different schools. Coaching and recruiting matters, the tops in those categories are going to overwhelming dominate (unless you're UGA).

In another direction... Billy Napier turned down Auburn?

YIKES.

He gonna wait for Tennessee to open and go home?
I thought he was from South Carolina? Is Freeze first in line for that UTk job?

I thought he was from South Carolina? Is Freeze first in line for that UTk job?
Thought he was a Tennessee guy, but maybe you're right. Went to Furman.

Either way, something's gotta be off the reservation at Auburn. Getting shot down by the coach at ULL who isa true-blue SEC guy is... uh... not good.

Thank you.

And I’ve watched my team finish 5th twice now and still say leave it at 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom