OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

I always assume that everyone are niketalk is a minority (black, Asian, Hispanic, etc). Whenever I find out that certain posters are white, I'm surprised :lol:

Ecook has mentioned being John Stockton when picking up the ladies with another NTer.

Man, idk. Illinois is one good recruiter away from being good. They could have him/her by 2020.

That's what everyone says about Illinois basketball too, while Chicago gets raided by every other school in the country.

The commitment just isn't there, and it's never really been. Outside of UIC grads, no one cares about UIC sports in that state.

witnesskb24 witnesskb24 could probably speak on this better than I could since he went there, but I'd assume he'd agree.

Last edited:
That's what everyone says about Illinois basketball too, while Chicago gets raided by every other school in the country.

The commitment just isn't there, and it's never really been. Outside of UIC grads, no one cares about UIC sports in that state.

witnesskb24 witnesskb24 could probably speak on this better than I could since he went there, but I'd assume he'd agree.

They need to hire Jimmy Lake next year and stop bull****ting.

They need to hire Jimmy Lake next year and stop bull****ting.
tenor.gif

Lovie needs to say EFF IT and go all in... Go get all the bag droppers that are exiled and take a swing... Guy is just existing there

Bobby Layne Bobby Layne whats with all this talk about Drevno not designing or calling plays at UM and it being all Pep? I’ve always read and heard the opposite but it seems with the Amazon show that’s what people on boards are claiming now.

Lovie is getting some big recruits for sure, now keep in mind these are big recruits for Illinois not so much a national level. He’s been hitting the St. Louis are hard and been successful mainly due to his new hire Cory Patterson and OC Rod Smith. They’ve got Isiah Williams committed and a few more from Trinity Catholic in St Louis. I think the “he needs to recruit Chicago better” stance has finally passed by fans around here.

They’ll be 3-9/4-8 this season but next year when he gets more players in (I hate saying that line) I could easily see them being 6-6/7-5 on the regular with the occasional 8-9 win big season. They could potentially contend for that division every now and then but with Frost at Nebraska and Wisconsin chugging along it’ll be tough.

They’re currently building a huge players facility that’s going to be nice. I’m just glad they didn’t go hire some mid tier MAC coach like they’ve done several times. Not that Mac coaches can’t make it in P5 but the ones they hired have been trash.

Bobby Layne Bobby Layne whats with all this talk about Drevno not designing or calling plays at UM and it being all Pep? I’ve always read and heard the opposite but it seems with the Amazon show that’s what people on boards are claiming now.

I never got myself to actually watch the show after how bad last season was but It was a convoluted effort from what I've read and heard. They did the PGC/RGC thing and each guy was in charge of their own game planning and calling plays from their part of the gameplan with Jim having the final day. There has been talk that it's been "streamlined" but in reality this is the method that Jim has used since Stanford.

To be fair to Drev the running game got better last season when they went to his power stuff and dumped Frey's zone stuff he was hired to bring in. Frey is not a bad coach, but rather it's just that it was too much of a dramatic change for a young and inexperienced unit that was just getting down the power stuff Jim installed two years prior. I don't think Drev is a bad coach either, and there is probably an argument he's a better OL coach here had he just been hired to do that, but the recruiting under him was awful as well. He identified the right guys at OT, but either could just never close on them, or ultimately decided to pass on the wrong ones.

I never got myself to actually watch the show after how bad last season was but It was a convoluted effort from what I've read and heard. They did the PGC/RGC thing and each guy was in charge of their own game planning and calling plays from their part of the gameplan with Jim having the final day. There has been talk that it's been "streamlined" but in reality this is the method that Jim has used since Stanford.

To be fair to Drev the running game got better last season when they went to his power stuff and dumped Frey's zone stuff he was hired to bring in. Frey is not a bad coach, but rather it's just that it was too much of a dramatic change for a young and inexperienced unit that was just getting down the power stuff Jim installed two years prior. I don't think Drev is a bad coach either, and there is probably an argument he's a better OL coach here had he just been hired to do that, but the recruiting under him was awful as well. He identified the right guys at OT, but either could just never close on them, or ultimately decided to pass on the wrong ones.

Yeah it’s weird to hear OT Sean Rhyan say he likes a cantankerous old dude like Neil Callaway more than Drevno as far as recruiting goes.

Jim has final say on what is being ran out there.

Does Chicago pump out a lot of P5 football talent?

They pump out some but it’s not a huge talent pool like you’d find in cities in Georgia, Florida, etc. That point of view mainly stems from basketball. Anytime there’s a basketball coach here the fans always think he needs to pull all the talent from up there to be good. Don’t get me wrong they produce a lot of good kids basketball wise but for a while that train of thought carried over to football. I think there’s a good amount of kids from Chicago on Illinois’ football roster now but it’s nice to see some from California, Florida, etc

Wait why’d I just see someone else talking about Herman being well known in the Ames swinger scene. I remember reading that in here and enjoying the slander but that might be true? :lol:

Where’s our resident Iowa State fan to make sense of all of this?

Zach Smith kinda lost his **** on Twitter yesterday, huh?

Yeah, he pretty much said "burn it all":lol:

I guess he's come to the realization that he's never going to get another coaching job at any level and just has an "f*** it" mentality at this stage. if he's really concerned about getting another coaching job, he'd focus on rehabilitating his career and moving on from this There's no point in fighting reporters and ESPN on Twitter

Back
Top Bottom