Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread - NBA rules Chris Bosh has a career ending injury

Who is the MVP?

• Russell Westbrook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

• James Harden

• Lebron James

• Kevin Durant

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, Kawhi and KD are two very different players.

Kawhi has obviously the most defensive impact for his team, while KD does so on the offensive side of the ball.

But we have to recognize how well KD has been on the defensive side of the ball recently. Both guys are tremendous players.

I believe you asked for the master plan no? Look at what SA did and has done over the years adjusting and still being elite no matter who the personnel is. Get a transcendent talent, supplement them, have great coaching and buy into a system.

Eh, OKC did it as well at an even greater level with the talent portion and is trying to do it again on the fly now that KD left.

To be fair, Kawhi and KD are two very different players.

Kawhi has obviously the most defensive impact for his team, while KD does so on the offensive side of the ball.

But we have to recognize how well KD has been on the defensive side of the ball recently. Both guys are tremendous players.

KD's defense this season has been overlooked just cause of how highly efficient he's been on offense

I believe you asked for the master plan no? Look at what SA did and has done over the years adjusting and still being elite no matter who the personnel is. Get a transcendent talent, supplement them, have great coaching and buy into a system.

Eh, OKC did it as well at an even greater level with the talent portion and is trying to do it again on the fly now that KD left.

There's no way with the position Memphis is in right now to magically gain the type of assets needed to take this approach. Let's just say they move off Conley and Marc for assets (a few picks here and there, young guys, etc. IF they can get you that). You still stuck with Parsons large deal and then you're stuck trying to sell fans on a rebuild who have supported the franchise through this Grit n Grind era of basketball.

The teams you're talking about were already heading into a rebuild state. Hell, OKC started their rebuild right when Memphis first started theirs back in 2006-07.

At the end of the day, there is a business side to it as well. And its not like the Grizz fate are 1st round exit. They have shown they're capable of beating every single elite team in the West. What they struggle with is injuries and beating the low level teams by not coming to play every night.

We missed the "rebuild" train a few years ago when we decided to max out Marc. That's why I knew Conley wasn't going anywhere. It'll come again soon in about 3 years, but the FO is trying to make the playoffs with an outside chance of making the Finals. They're also trying to sprinkle some youth in there so they can develop by the time those core guys are a shell of themselves.

Last edited:
KD's defense has been better than Kawhi's this year though.

Hell Danny Green's defense > Kawhi's this year, what are yall talking about? 

There's no way with the position Memphis is in right now to magically gain the type of assets needed to take this approach. Let's just say they move off Conley and Marc for assets (a few picks here and there, young guys, etc. IF they can get you that). You still stuck with Parsons large deal and then you're stuck trying to sell fans on a rebuild who have supported the franchise through this Grit n Grind era of basketball.

The teams you're talking about were already heading into a rebuild state. Hell, OKC started their rebuild right when Memphis first started theirs back in 2006-07.

At the end of the day, there is a business side to it as well. And its not like the Grizz fate are 1st round exit. They have shown they're capable of beating every single elite team in the West. What they struggle with is injuries and beating the low level teams by not coming to play every night.

We missed the "rebuild" train a few years ago when we decided to max out Marc. That's why I knew Conley wasn't going anywhere. It'll come again soon in about 3 years, but the FO is trying to make the playoffs with an outside chance of making the Finals. They're also trying to sprinkle some youth in there so they can develop by the time those core guys are a shell of themselves.

Cool man. Enjoy purgatory with the Clippers.

Explain?

KD has been a great defensive player this year, but not better than Kawhi. I hope you're kidding. I think you are :lol:

Explain?

KD has been a great defensive player this year, but not better than Kawhi. I hope you're kidding. I think you are :lol:

Numbers say KD has been though, or at the very least as good. DWS are same. KD has a higher DBPM. Defensive rating the same.

Salute to Dirk Diggler though 20 points away from the 30k club. He'll probably get it tonight against my hapless Lakers.

View media item 2359428

Last edited:

Kawhi has taken a leap but still isn't better than Bron or KD, yet these dudes are trying to crown him :lol:
nothing suggests he has been better than either this season

Last edited:
I still don't quite understand the great disparity between Kawhi and KD.

Of course, KD is a more polished scorer and shooter. There's not many like him. But, to act like taking a guy that's 3 years younger, a much more gifted defender over time and is started to showcase his scoring ability with a higher usage rate (and at very good efficiency) is ludicrous?

Bron has never been mentioned in this convo, either. I'm sure some of you were apart of the group that said KD was on par with Lebron after his MVP year as well. There were even people who thought Curry was better than Lebron after his MVP season(s). A Kawih vs KD conversation is a little different :lol:

Thinks the Clippers/Grizzlies should blow it up and tank.
Hates the 76ers for tanking too much.
Wants Lakers to keep tanking for a fourth straight season.
Roots for his team to lose.

Whose adult male is this?

no clue b

Last edited:

Of course, KD is a more polished scorer and shooter. There's not many like him. But, to act like taking a guy that's 3 years younger, a much more gifted defender over time and is started to showcase his scoring ability with a higher usage rate (and at very good efficiency) is ludicrous?

Bron has never been mentioned in this convo, either. I'm sure some of you were apart of the group that said KD was on par with Lebron after his MVP year as well. There were even people who thought Curry was better than Lebron after his MVP season(s). A Kawih vs KD conversation is a little different :lol:

At the very least let him do it for more than one season at least on the offensive end before you crown him. He still has strides to make as a playmaker as well to match KD.

Mamba in his bag :smh:

The Clippers and Grizz should blow it up

The Sixers' tanking has gotten pretty egregious, you have to admit

If I was a Lakers fan and the drafts continue being this deep, I would want them to tank too. Take a look at the Knicks thread for some prespective

See above statement

People put KD at a higher premium because he's the more established superstar. There's also a lot of attention given to KD as well. Add the MVP and it's tougher for the causal fan to pick Kawhi over KD.

I agree with you though. I'd rather have a guy who can do it on both sides of the ball and is younger.

At the very least let him do it for more than one season at least on the offensive end before you crown him. He still has strides to make as a playmaker as well to match KD.

Well I was told to give it a rest after his first 10 games or so. I did and his play did the talking for the rest of the season.

Are you expecting him to regress next season after showing he has improved year after year?

People put KD at a higher premium because he's the more established superstar. There's also a lot of attention given to KD as well. Add the MVP and it's tougher for the causal fan to pick Kawhi over KD.

I agree with you though. I'd rather have a guy who can do it on both sides of the ball and is younger.

I think most will pick KD over Kawhi (especially the casual fan). KD has a brand, while many still don't know how good or who Kawhi is. Not to mention he's not in the spotlight.

Kawhi very well may follow the same career path as Duncan. Being great for years, possibly winning some titles along the way, but be a "boring" superstar. I want to see him be great, so I'll be rooting for SAS to win it all if its not Memphis. Kawhi will have a chance at being a 2x Finals MVP and 2x NBA Champion. Maybe with a MVP under his belt as well. Not many players at the age of 25 can say they have that resume. Hell, not many players in general outside of a very selective elite few can you say they have that resume.

Last edited:
I think I only said the Dippers should blow it up. I just had told BHZzlies to enjoy purgatory.

Sixers have actively tanked for the last 5 seasons now.

Lakers just started actively tanking once Magic came in and got rid of Lou Williams.

And if you can stop butchering the lingo of the younger generation going forward, I'd appreciate it thanks.

The Clippers and Grizz should blow it up

The Sixers' tanking has gotten pretty egregious, you have to admit

If I was a Lakers fan and the drafts continue being this deep, I would want them to tank too. Take a look at the Knicks thread for some prespective

The last time I went in the Knicks thread y'all were calling P a cheeseburger or something :smh:

And if you can stop butchering the lingo of the younger generation going forward, I'd appreciate it thanks.

I do it for the agriculture.

View media item 2359460

Last edited:
I think I only said the Dippers should blow it up. I just had told BHZzlies to enjoy purgatory.

Sixers have actively tanked for the last 5 seasons now.

Lakers just started actively tanking once Magic came in and got rid of Lou Williams.

What's the likelihood of landing a franchise changing player in the draft?

You can't get on a team like the Sixers for tanking for 5 seasons when looking at what's going on :lol: .

Look at how long Minnesota tanked to get to where they are. Another losing season with all this great young talent and they could very well end up not being in Minnesota as a unit for another 3-4 years. All that tanking may end up in more tanking.

Lakers just start actively tanking after getting rid of their 6th man? :lol: Where in the hell Russell, Randle and Ingram come from then?

Last edited:
Well I was told to give it a rest after his first 10 games or so. I did and his play did the talking for the rest of the season.

Are you expecting him to regress next season after showing he has improved year after year?

No, I don't expect him to regress, but I don't expect KD to either. And KD is still the better offensive force and has closed the gap significantly in the defensive side of the ball. There's not really Kawhi can do to get better than DPOTY. KD will be near or at 50/40/90 for the rest of his time with the Warriors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom