OFFICIAL 2010 DODGERS OFFSEASON THREAD : Mods, please lock. Thanks.

But at what point does MLB step in? Or will Frank just keep giving deferred contracts? Will the dodgers be turned into the Clippers 2.0 where donald sterling didn't spend money (up until recently) since the team was still profitable?

They can, there is that "best interests of baseball clause."

Bud Selig's M.O. is not not get involved with anything until the problem has spiraled out of control, then he steps in and takes the credit for fixing it after the fact when it was about to fix itself anyways.

He won't be comish for much longer though.

laugh.gif
looks like Opie had a great time, good for him.

Clean shaven though he looks MUCH younger than me, and i'm only one year his senior and NOT married. Love is wild I guess, congrats
smile.gif

In other news, Navarro poised for a comeback which means adios Russ.

[h1]Leiweke Wants Framework on NFL Plan Within Three Months[/h1]
[h4]AEG Talking With Architects, Hopes to Have Team for South Park Stadium by February[/h4] [h5]by Jon Regardie, Executive Editor[/h5]
Published: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:05 PM PST
DOWNTOWNLOS ANGELES - On Feb. 6, the National Football League will host SuperBowl XLV in Dallas, Texas. One month after that, Tim Leiweke, thepresident and CEO of Downtown-based Anschutz Entertainment Group,expects either to have the framework in place to bring a football teamto Los Angeles to play in a $1 billion stadium, or to drop the matter.

Speakingto about 350 people at a Central City Association luncheon thisafternoon, Leiweke followed up on football stadium plans he announced last month at another Downtown lunch gathering. At today’s event at the J.W. Marriott Hotelat L.A. Live, he said that AEG’s architectural review process for aSouth Park stadium with a retractable roof has already begun.

Leiwekesaid 12 architects have submitted designs, including some from LosAngeles. The only one he would identify is Gensler, the firm whosecredits include the 54-story Convention Center hotel developed by AEG.

Leiwekesaid AEG expects to conduct interviews with the architecture firms nextweek and to cut the list to about two designers. He said the companyplans to make a decision in January.

Leiweke’svision involves building a new West Hall of the Convention Center,which would attach to the existing I.M. Pei-designed structure frontingFigueroa Street. Once the approximately $350 million convention wing isready, he said, the current West Hall would be torn down. The newstadium would rise on land bounded by Pico Boulevard, 11th Street, theCherry Street parking garage and Staples Center.

“A 65,000-seat stadium fits nicely on that spot,

NFL Deal to Happen Fast or Not at All, Leiweke Says
By Eric Richardson
Published: Wednesday, December 08, 2010, at 03:55PM
Convention Center West Hall Eric Richardson [Flickr]

AEG CEO Tim Leiweke is pushing plans to construct a $1-billion, retractable-roof stadium next to Staples Center and the Nokia Theatre on the site of the Convention Center's West Hall (top right).

DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES — Before 350 attendees of a Central City Association luncheon this afternoon, AEG CEO Tim Leiweke reiterated his commitment to bringing a new stadium, at least one NFL team, and an expanded Convention Center, but only if the deal happens quickly.

"I spend most of every waking hour right now on the NFL," Leiweke said. "But I will also promise you this: we're going to give this our best shot over the next two to three months … We're not going to hang around for ten years."

Leiweke has spent many of those waking hours making speeches over the two months. There were several quiet months after word first leaked in April that AEG was working on plans for a Staples Center-adjacent stadium, but the CEO has been on the talking circuit of late discussing the company's vision.

At the center of that vision is the Los Angeles Convention Center, whose West Hall would need to be torn down to make way for the stadium. Leiweke emphasized Wednesday that the center was more than just a land source.

"Do we believe in football? Yes, we do, we're excited about it … but we believe in the event and tourism business even more," he said.

He also stressed his commitment to making sure that the city didn't end up on the hook for any of the costs. Debt service on bonds issued for the construction of the new Convention Center hall would be covered by new taxes generated in the area, and Leiweke promised to have AEG responsible for any deficit.

Leiweke's ten year remark was in reference to developer Ed Roski of Majestic Reality's Los Angeles Football Stadium concept, which would bring the NFL to the City of Industry. "This project will be much more difficult than advertised and will require traffic and environmental studies that could take years," said a source close to the Majestic project after Leiweke's remarks. "Regardless of how flashy they make it seem they are selling a deal with zero specifics except for the needs for taxpayer dollars under the name of city bonds."

One of the specifics that has been in the news in recent weeks was the rumor that AEG owner Phil Anschutz had purchased a share of the San Diego Chargers. "No, we have not bought any of the San Diego Chargers," Leiweke said Wednesday.

He did offer a few details on transportation improvements that would need to take place around the new stadium. 10 to 20 percent of stadium attendees could arrive via rail, and Leiweke said that the existing Blue Line station at Flower and Pico will need to be upgraded to handle the increased load. AEG plans to build just two new parking structures next to the stadium, counting on the 32,000 spaces that the company says are available with less than a 15-minute walk to handle the NFL load.

And what will that extra traffic mean for Downtown residents? "I don't think you came here for the peace and quiet of the ocean and the waves," Leiweke said. AEG would make sure that NFL games don't overlap with Staples Center events, but otherwise the company doesn't see much impact for residents. "For the most part, life doesn't change in Downtown," he said.

"I hope that what we look at years from now is a hundred thousand people who want to live Downtown because it's not only one of the most livable areas in the country, but it's exciting and it has energy and it has nightlife."

I've kinda turned on the idea of football in LA. I have the metro rail just a 15 minute walk away on the other side of the 710.

Traffic wouldn't be an issue for me. Fall/winter sport wouldn't interfere with me and the 110 for Dodger games either.

laugh.gif
@ dioner navarro watching this guy at the plate is just a joke.

i guess pretty much what russell martin turned into.

farewell russ.

Frank McCourt is a delusional idiot.  His ego is so big it makes him blind.

I would post the letter/email he sent employees yesterday after the ruling, but it's the same mumbo-jumbo he is spewing.

It's funny he comes across with this "Don't worry, I'm still the sole Owner" talk, when fan, employees, MLB, etc all would rather see him sell.  In his little world, he must feel like everyone wants him to own the Dodgers...
roll.gif
roll.gif

The only reason I'd want A.J. Is because I know everybody hates him and he'd get in a couple fights
laugh.gif

him and padilla as the battery would be a fight waiting to happen EVERY game

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

The only reason I'd want A.J. Is because I know everybody hates him and he'd get in a couple fights
laugh.gif

him and padilla as the battery would be a fight waiting to happen EVERY game

This would've been sick.
See them fight amongst themselves even
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom