..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

Originally Posted by truthmain

Yall are getting a bit carried away here; C.C. is great, no doubt, but the Brewers are still gonna have to catch us. Our bullpen is still much better than theirs too.

And don't count out Jim Hendry making a move.

Zambrano/Harden/Dempster v. Sheets/Sabathia/Parra would be pretty comparable imo. I can only dream of getting Harden...

Dreams really do come true!

I put this in the trade thread.
pimp.gif

At first glance, FANTASTIC trade for the Cubs.

But then, of course, is Harden's health. But the key to that is Gaudin. There is our insurance right freaking there if something goes wrong with Harden.
eek.gif

Murton, Patterson, Galagher are all ok but none make a team a threat. The catcher prospect is available because of Soto. So in a sense, we gave up nothing fora potential front line guy, and a saftey net included in the deal. Not one of the guys traded was gonna help us win anything this season.

And Hendry is a dork. Why say this wasn't a reaction to the CC move? Yes it was. Maybe they had talked about it and all that, but to do the deal the day CCmakes his first start? Come on, just admit that you got shook and then try to win the divison. Win it, and nobody can laugh at you for going Suns on anyone.
laugh.gif

Great move imo. Very happy with this

Z
Harden
Dempster
Lilly
Marquis

Leiber, Marshall and Gaudin on the back burner. With Hill in Triple A

Marmol, Wood, and Howry in the pen.

Sori
Fukudome
Lee
Ramirez
Soto
DeRosa
Edmonds
Theriot

pimp.gif

Brennaman given security in Chicago

Reds broadcaster made remarks about Cubs fans in April

CHICAGO -- Chicago's public enemy No. 1 arrived without fanfare at Wrigley Field on Tuesday afternoon, expecting less than fair treatment later from the Cubs' faithful.

We're not talking about Reds manager, and former Cubs skipper, Dusty Baker or any of his players. It was Reds radio broadcaster Marty Brennaman, who drew the ire of Cubs fans by insulting them on the air during the Reds' previous visit in April.

"Nice knowing you," right fielder Ken Griffey Jr. jokingly told Brennaman in the clubhouse. "It's been good."

After Adam Dunn hit a home run onto Sheffield Avenue during an April 16 matchup, fans in the bleachers threw more than a dozen baseballs on the field. It prompted a harsh rebuke from Brennaman, who said: "This is what makes you want to see this Chicago Cubs team lose." He also said, "The most obnoxious fans in baseball, in this [National] league, are those who follow this team right here."

Brennaman, a Reds broadcaster since 1974, received threatening mail following the incident, and was fodder for talk radio rants. While at the ballpark for the series that runs from Tuesday-Thursday, he will have a security detail to protect him -- just in case.

"I wanted to sing 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame,' and they wouldn't let me," Brennaman joked Tuesday.

If there are issues with locals, Brennaman expected them to be confined to the "Friendly Confines" -- or maybe "Not So Friendly Confines" in his case. He's been in Chicago since Sunday, and has not encountered any trouble.

"I walked around for two days, and no one bothered me," said Brennaman, who was the Baseball Hall of Fame's Ford Frick Award winner in 2000.

At Navy Pier with his family, a ride worker told Brennaman's daughter he had a bone to pick with "Thom Brennaman," who is Marty's son and broadcast partner.

"That would be me you're talking about," Marty told the gentleman. He said that they chatted pleasantly for 15 minutes, and all was good.

Brennaman refused to do radio interviews with Chicago stations, but wasn't afraid of any potential dust-ups with Cubs fans. He even wore a bright red shirt to work Tuesday.

"Why don't you just paint a target on yourself?" Griffey joked.

"If they want a piece of me, they know where they can find me," Brennaman said.

aRog - can you answer some of my questions from the previous page?

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

Originally Posted by CP1708

AM, I totally know how tough the Cards are, and the job Tony has done is unreal, but I'm not overlooking or disrespecting the Cards, I simply am looking at what all the teams have and also am projecting future moves. The Cubs have shown in the last few years they will make moves to get better and go win. The Cards won't spend money, and you know that. They may add a guy here or there, but I don't see them making a "big" move. And trust us Cubs fans in what it's all about waiting for healthy pitchers to come back, it rarely works out the way you hope.
frown.gif
We went half a decade waiting for Wood and or Prior to come back healthy and push us over the top. Carp is goin on two years bein hurt. He's been hurt even earlier in his career. I do question what that guy has left. Wainright is different, he could come back and spark a little, but in terms of overall team and talent, the Cards are 3rd at this time. Imo.

You are right with many points you have stated. I know we don't spend money like the big market clubs do, I don't see us making a big move either. There are two factors that can turn things around for St. Louis ( Mulder & Carps return). Now I think Mulder is bag of douche, but he can comeback and perform. The Cubs starting pitching isn't moving anyone and all of you Cubs fans know it. Trust me, that will be the reason for your collapse if you make the postseason. Zambrano can't pitch every day and Dempster will have to go on the road and try to duplicate what he has done at the friendly confines. If and I say "if" Carp and Mulder come back and tear it up, I think it's a wrap. This current Cards team is the least talented Cards team I have seen in a very long time, yet they're playing out of their mind. I don't wear blinders and I am aware that a collapse for my squad can happen at any time. The Brewers are a scary squad because they were underachieving and are now stronger with the addition of C.C. These next few months are going to be intense. Mulder is back, Carp has another month before we see him in the lineup (fingers crossed).

3783741_std.jpg

Ummm... ex squeeze me?

aRog - can you answer some of my questions from the previous page?
I though i did man, but Yuku has been wacky lately.

Taking the train really is the best option, but on Irving Park there is a parking lot about 2-3 blocks away from Wrigley. It's only $10 i think, it'sin a good spot, safety wise, and its easy to get in and out. I'm not exactly sure where it's located, but it can't be too hard to find.

As far as food/bars go you can't go wrong with any of the locals close to the stadium...

Haray Caray's 3551 N Sheffield Ave, Chicago, IL

Cubby Bear 1059 W Addison St, Chicago, IL

Murphy's Bleachers 3655 N Sheffield Avenue, Chicago, IL

Sluggers 3450 N Clark St, Chicago, IL

Giordanos Pizza (must go ) 1040 W Belmont Ave | At N Kenmore Ave

Hope that helps man......have fun at the game.

i second Giordanos Pizza. My wife and i stumbled across that place a couple years back and now we go everytime.

Fontenot just got called little Babe Ruth by Santo. lol!!

Demp lookin' good at home, as usual. He's actually been pitching pretty good on the road, with a hiccup at the Cell, but the bullpen hasn't heldup for him.

Yall are getting a bit carried away here; C.C. is great, no doubt, but the Brewers are still gonna have to catch us. Our bullpen is still much better than theirs too.

And don't count out Jim Hendry making a move.

Zambrano/Harden/Dempster v. Sheets/Sabathia/Parra would be pretty comparable imo. I can only dream of getting Harden...

Dreams really do come true!
Oh yes! Let's just hope Harden will STAYY healthy.

Great win by the Cubs, i hope Cubs can get homefield advantage for the playoffs so Dempster can pitch at Wrigley.
smile.gif

wildKYcat wrote:

Harang sucks....this game sucks.

Come on man, I asked you earlier this season, something has got to be wrong with his arm. 3 - 11? This dude was cy young every time we faced him for thelast 2 years. Guy has been absolute money and now he's walking 7 guys in a game?

Is anyone in their org even asking any questions, has he lost any velocity?

nah, Harang hasn't lost any velocity. but y'all remember when he pitched 4 innings of relief when we had that 19 inning game vs. San Diego???

since then, i belive he's 0-5 with a +8 ERA.
sick.gif
they even gave him anextra day of rest before last night's game. and that 7 walks was a career high. Harang still gets the lowest run support in the league and his recorddoesn't indicate how he's pitched this season. yes, he's been bad, but not 3-11 bad by no means.

i don't know, i'm baffled, but hopefully he'll get it together during the break.
ohwell.gif

EDIT: they just said he's been sent back to cincy to get an MRI on his right forearm.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

pimp.gif

they just said that Dunn has 13 hits of Big Z in his career, 7 are homers.

No joke, I swear everytime I see Dunn against Z he gets a HR, either that or a K.

But I think Dunn is like that with every pitcher
happy.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

pimp.gif

they just said that Dunn has 13 hits of Big Z in his career, 7 are homers.

No joke, I swear everytime I see Dunn against Z he gets a HR, either that or a K.

But I think Dunn is like that with every pitcher
happy.gif

throw a walk in there and you nailed it.
laugh.gif

Big Z the beast.. and ya'll makin me want some giordanos pizza now.. havent been there in like a year..

That was an absolutely dominant performance by the Cubs (except for the last out of the game, lol). That might be one of the best starts of Z's career.

Not to mention, both the Cards and the Brewers lost
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom