..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

10.5 outta first....7 games behind the wild card leader (Brewers, who just got CC).
ohwell.gif

next 3 at Wrigley, then 3 at Milwaukee....two big series (in my eyes at least.)

Those are absolutely big series. Every series is gonna be big from here on out. at least in the central. I think stuff is gonna start getting crazy.

That series shoulda been a damn sweep!
mad.gif

Wood was bound to let one slip eventually, but I wish it wasn't a game vs StL.
smh.gif

Sweep @ StL coulda been a death blow to the Cards pshyce (sp). We need to finish out the first half real strong to help us prepare for the onslaught thatthe Brewers are about to unleash.
frown.gif

i thought the cards were going to sweep? lol

2 out of 3 vs a division rival is always good even though the sweep would have been better

now lets make a move to match up with the brewers.

LETS GO CUBBIES!

Yall are getting a bit carried away here; C.C. is great, no doubt, but the Brewers are still gonna have to catch us. Our bullpen is still much better thantheirs too.

And don't count out Jim Hendry making a move.

Zambrano/Harden/Dempster v. Sheets/Sabathia/Parra would be pretty comparable imo. I can only dream of getting Harden...

Glad everyone feels good about our chances, but we have to be realistic as to our team. Z has many many miles on his arm, and we just caught a scare not toolong ago from him. If that comes back..........
frown.gif

Dempster has been great the first half, can his arm hold up for the entire year, plus what we hope to accomplish in the playoffs..........
frown.gif
frown.gif

We need to have Marshall right, Leiber stay strong, and Hill needs to get it together. If we can have those guys on par, then I feel ok.

Sori coming back could help as well.
happy.gif

But the Brewers are going to be tough and they def want some payback for last year. They'll have that little extra tryin to reverse the results from lastseason.

I just realized that the series win vs the Cards is only the 2nd series win for the Cubs vs a team over .500 so far this season.
eek.gif

I know they also had the most home games, but are the Cubs just not proven yet or is the N.L. just that bad right now?

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I just realized that the series win vs the Cards is only the 2nd series win for the Cubs vs a team over .500 so far this season.
eek.gif

I know they also had the most home games, but are the Cubs just not proven yet or is the N.L. just that bad right now?

Uh, no. That may be a sort of fact now, but it don't mean squat.

Arizona was well over 500 when we swept them. The Mets were over 500 when we took both games from them. StL this weekend, and the WhiteSox a couple weekendsago.
So maybe in theory we only have a couple series wins over teams over 500, but take a look, there are only 4 teams in the whole league over 500 not includingus. Mil, StL, Philly, and Florida by 2 games no less.

So really, how can you have very many series wins over teams over 500, when there are only a couple anyways?
laugh.gif

I'd say the NL is just not that strong, as evidenced by the Royals rolling the Cards, the Rays and Sox rolling us, the Orioles, the Red Sox, the Angels,all making hey against the NL. We just keep getting beat by the AL.
frown.gif

We as Cubs fans have been freaking out, here are a couple facts to help us chill.
17-15 in our last 32 road games. Most teams are happy with 500 on the road.
We did that 17-15 sans Johnson, Soriano and for a lot of it Z.
We still play the Pirates 6 more times this season.
Wood has been all but lights out almost all season.
Marmol has had a couple very good outings in a row, hopefully he is back to form.
The Cubs have a +101 run differential
the Brewers have a +11 run differential

we will still win the division by 5 to 10 games.

Originally Posted by tylerdub

we will still win the division by 5 to 10 games.

I really hope you dont think you might win the divison by 10 games. The Brewers have the most remaining home games in all of the Majors. The Brewers are avery very good home team. The Brewers play the Cubs 10 more times, 7 at Miller Park. The Brewers are 4-2 this year at Wrigley Field. Put all those togetherand your team isn't winning the divison by 10 games.

The Cubs will not win the division by more than 10 games. Please, let's not even predict the Cubs winning anything. I'm paranoid. Sabathia is afantastic pithcer, but I have 0 doubt that Hendry will bring me either AJ Burnett or Rich Harden.

It's gonna go down to the wire, that I'm sure of.

Freakin Brewers.......

I guess I should be encouraged by my under-achieving team then, they have played well vs good opponents (ie Yanks, Angels, Phils, Cards, Marlins, etc), buthave stunk it up vs last place teams.

Hopefully they can turn it around, it won't take much to make the post season this year.

I'm curious to see how C.C. does the rest of the way.

ok Cubs fans, i need some help.

i'm driving to Chicago for the game thursday....anything at all you can share to help with my trip? parking? how about a nice bar/restaraunt after thegame? i'm really concerned with parking for some reason.

you very much should be concerned about parking. Its really awful. Best thing to do in my opinion is just take 25-35 bucks with you and pay some local to parkin their garage. Edit: unless you are staying in a hotel and then take the train in.

The Cubs may not win by 10 games (which is why i said 5-10) but they will win. Listen well and gain wisdom, they will win.

I do think the Brew crew will win the wild card. If you had asked me at the beginning of the year i would've bet anything the NL wild card wouldn'tcome out of the central. Thats why baseball is great, it is impossible to predict.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

laugh.gif
what's so funny?

Its just that parking is a killer around Wrigleyville
I suggest take the bus or Red line it.
you very much should be concerned about parking. Its really awful. Best thing to do in my opinion is just take 25-35 bucks with you and pay some local to park in their garage. Edit: unless you are staying in a hotel and then take the train in.

Free Parking at the Cell *****!!!!

Red Line and I heard there are shuttle buses that run from the Devry parking lot to the game for 6 bucks.

Post where you're gonna be staying and we'll take it from there

i'm actually not going to be staying at a hotel....

by "local" you mean people who live around the stadium charge people to park at their house? i can deal with that.

laugh.gif
Stringer, disregard that pm, i didn't know what you meant.

and i know this is a dumb !#* question, but is there a concession at Wrigley that sells corndogs? if so, approximately where is it located in the stadium? the reason i ask, is that there is only 1 dam place at Great American Ballpark that sells corndogs and it took me forever to find it. ol' girl will @+%@%and moan if she can't get a corndog and i ain't trying to hear all that. i know, i know....
smh.gif

I see the Cubs fans are already counting out the Cards. Mark my words fellas, it's far from over. To think you guys already have the division wrapped onlysolidifies how delusional you really are. Time and time again baseball has proven unpredictability is a constant. Where were the Rockies at this time lastseason? I am not saying the Cards are going to win the division, nor am I ready to crown the Brewers or Cubs. Half the season is up, the division will be wonin the second half and it will come down to the wire if every team can manage to stay healthy.

AM, I totally know how tough the Cards are, and the job Tony has done is unreal, but I'm not overlooking or disrespecting the Cards, I simply am looking atwhat all the teams have and also am projecting future moves. The Cubs have shown in the last few years they will make moves to get better and go win. TheCards won't spend money, and you know that. They may add a guy here or there, but I don't see them making a "big" move. And trust us Cubsfans in what it's all about waiting for healthy pitchers to come back, it rarely works out the way you hope.
frown.gif
We went half a decade waiting for Wood and or Prior to come back healthy andpush us over the top. Carp is goin on two years bein hurt. He's been hurt even earlier in his career. I do question what that guy has left. Wainrightis different, he could come back and spark a little, but in terms of overall team and talent, the Cards are 3rd at this time. Imo.

I hope i am not giving the impression that i am counting out the Brewers and Cards. I understand very well that baseball is wildly unpredictable. A coupleinjuries to key players and the whole division can turn on its head. That being said, knowing what i know presently I expect the Cubs to win the division. Willthey? I don't know there are a ton of games left to be played, the Brewers or Cards could go on a rip and make up alot of games. The Cubs are getting Soriback and could go on a rip and open up a massive lead.
All future truths shall be unveiled in time.
EDIT: Lets hope the Cubs can win one tonight and go up some more on the Brew Crew

Originally Posted by CP1708

AM, I totally know how tough the Cards are, and the job Tony has done is unreal, but I'm not overlooking or disrespecting the Cards, I simply am looking at what all the teams have and also am projecting future moves. The Cubs have shown in the last few years they will make moves to get better and go win. The Cards won't spend money, and you know that. They may add a guy here or there, but I don't see them making a "big" move. And trust us Cubs fans in what it's all about waiting for healthy pitchers to come back, it rarely works out the way you hope.
frown.gif
We went half a decade waiting for Wood and or Prior to come back healthy and push us over the top. Carp is goin on two years bein hurt. He's been hurt even earlier in his career. I do question what that guy has left. Wainright is different, he could come back and spark a little, but in terms of overall team and talent, the Cards are 3rd at this time. Imo.

You are right with many points you have stated. I know we don't spend money like the big market clubs do, I don't see us making a big move either.There are two factors that can turn things around for St. Louis ( Mulder & Carps return). Now I think Mulder is bag of douche, but he can comeback andperform. The Cubs starting pitching isn't moving anyone and all of you Cubs fans know it. Trust me, that will be the reason for your collapseif you make the postseason. Zambrano can't pitch every day and Dempster will have to go on the road and try to duplicate what hehas done at the friendly confines. If and I say "if" Carp and Mulder come back and tear it up, I think it's a wrap. This current Cards team isthe least talented Cards team I have seen in a very long time, yet they're playing out of their mind. I don't wear blinders and I am aware that acollapse for my squad can happen at any time. The Brewers are a scary squad because they were underachieving and are now stronger with the addition of C.C.These next few months are going to be intense. Mulder is back, Carp has another month before we see him in the lineup (fingers crossed).

Originally Posted by CP1708

AM, I totally know how tough the Cards are, and the job Tony has done is unreal, but I'm not overlooking or disrespecting the Cards, I simply am looking at what all the teams have and also am projecting future moves. The Cubs have shown in the last few years they will make moves to get better and go win. The Cards won't spend money, and you know that. They may add a guy here or there, but I don't see them making a "big" move. And trust us Cubs fans in what it's all about waiting for healthy pitchers to come back, it rarely works out the way you hope.
frown.gif
We went half a decade waiting for Wood and or Prior to come back healthy and push us over the top. Carp is goin on two years bein hurt. He's been hurt even earlier in his career. I do question what that guy has left. Wainright is different, he could come back and spark a little, but in terms of overall team and talent, the Cards are 3rd at this time. Imo.

You are right with many points you have stated. I know we don't spend money like the big market clubs do, I don't see us making a big move either.There are two factors that can turn things around for St. Louis ( Mulder & Carps return). Now I think Mulder is bag of douche, but he can comeback andperform. The Cubs starting pitching isn't moving anyone and all of you Cubs fans know it. Trust me, that will be the reason for your collapseif you make the postseason. Zambrano can't pitch every day and Dempster will have to go on the road and try to duplicate what hehas done at the friendly confines. If and I say "if" Carp and Mulder come back and tear it up, I think it's a wrap. This current Cards team isthe least talented Cards team I have seen in a very long time, yet they're playing out of their mind. I don't wear blinders and I am aware that acollapse for my squad can happen at any time. The Brewers are a scary squad because they were underachieving and are now stronger with the addition of C.C.These next few months are going to be intense. Mulder is back, Carp has another month before we see him in the lineup (fingers crossed).

Back
Top Bottom