..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

Originally Posted by mks33

finding out about this trade gave me a harden at my desk at work

Aiyo!!

Yea....Thats pretty suspect.

We need to do something......Flame me if you want, Colby Rasmus missed his chance when they tried ankiel at Center field.........Let him go, get a starteror a few good relievers..........or at least a good closing pitcher

smh.gif

Horrible game today.
smh.gif

Early lead, lilly hands it right over. If you got a chance to put your foot on someone's throat, you gotta do it.
sick.gif

Hopefully we can sweep the Giants and go to the break in style.

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

Originally Posted by CP1708

Horrible game today.
smh.gif

I agree, I am starting to think the Cards on the verge of a major second half collapse.

That's what I'm so afraid of. We started off so well. And now the Brewers are in it too. Hope they are just trying to get to the AS break and getready for the 2nd half.

Mulder is back on the DL......The bullpen is inconsistent.......Pujols cant get a hit with bases loaded.......Offense is looking terrible, Glaus` Defense isnice, but he is doing the same thing that rolen was doing last year.

Its depressing. Even though i didnt expect mush from this season in the beginning, i began to get my hopes up with their early play, but now its just gettingback to what i expected initially........Brewers 1st place, Cubs 2nd, Cards 3rd..................Of course i HOPED we would be in 1st, but i didnt expect it atall (I actually felt the same way the year we won it all, which still amazes me)

The Rich Harden hype in Chicago is getting out of hand

They're running special "watch Rich Harden's debut on CSN" commercials for his debut every 20 minutes on Comcast Sportsnet all day long; Iguess those are for the Cub fans that don't follow the team as closely as you'd expect

eyes.gif

I hope dude stinks it up on Saturday

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

pacmagic2002 wrote:
Mulder is back on the DL......The bullpen is inconsistent.......Pujols cant get a hit with bases loaded.......Offense is looking terrible, Glaus` Defense is nice, but he is doing the same thing that rolen was doing last year.

Its depressing. Even though i didnt expect mush from this season in the beginning, i began to get my hopes up with their early play, but now its just getting back to what i expected initially........Brewers 1st place, Cubs 2nd, Cards 3rd..................Of course i HOPED we would be in 1st, but i didnt expect it at all (I actually felt the same way the year we won it all, which still amazes me)

Well I give a lot of credit to our team for playing as well as they have. Lets face reality though, our talent cabinet is pretty empty. Management cameinto this season with no intention of spending money or making any real moves. It's going to be interesting watching the Brewers and Cubs battle it outthough, it just sucks that we don't have the artillery to stay in this race.

I will hold Harden to the same exacting standards that CC set forth on his Brewer debut.

6.0 innings pitched
5 hits
5 walks
5 K's
2 ER

If Harden can duplicate that amazing pitching performance i will feel great.
wink.gif

Tough loss for the Giants

Cubs fans are so damn embarrassing.

between the cornballs dancing to Go Cubs Go and the people clapping off beat

laugh.gif

^^
That is odd. It seems like the Cubs are starting to play better baseball. I will be making many comments around noon tomorrow.

Originally Posted by tylerdub

^^
That is odd. It seems like the Cubs are starting to play better baseball. I will be making many comments around noon tomorrow.
I, however won't be. Won't be near a computer til Monday so i'll chime in then.
wink.gif

Stringer, you want me to get you that Go Cubs Go song for your Ipod? PM me if you do.
laugh.gif

40914112.jpg

Ramirez is Clutch, Wood Holds It Down
Cubs Win 3-1 Over Giants

For decades, the first routine of a starting pitcher at Wrigley Field has been to walk out and see which way the flags are blowing.

Jason Marquis couldn't have liked what he saw on a sweltering Friday morning.

"The wind was blowing out during [batting practice]," he said. "And we were having fun watching Carlos [Zambrano] hitting fly balls out of thestadium."

Not long after, Marquis was in the clubhouse, watching television and surely wondering whether the Giants could hit more than the seven the Reds did the daybefore.

"A couple of guys came in and said, 'It's like 15 degrees cooler and the wind's blowing in," Marquis said. "And everybody thoughtthey were joking."

If there was a joke, it was on Cubs and Giants hitters, whose confidence level took a jolt when the game-time temperature was 72 degrees and the wind wascoming off the lake at 12 m.p.h.

And while Marquis pitched seven shutout innings, it was, unbelievably, a home run that gave the Cubs a 3-1 victory over the Giants and kept them fromback-to-back losses at home since the first two games of the season against Milwaukee.

"I knew it was out because I hit it on the line," said Aramis Ramirez, whose eighth-inning, three-run homer broke a scoreless tie. "If you hit afly ball, I don't think it goes out."

Ramirez had a tough day before hitting the first pitch from reliever Tyler Walker right past the left-field foul pole. In the first inning, Matt Cain hit himjust above the left elbow with a fastball and in the sixth Cain walked him intentionally.

"[Cain's pitch] was close to my head, that's what makes you nervous," he said. "Any time you get hit with a baseball, it's not fun.But I'm OK."

Ironically, Ramirez got the chance to play hero because Derrek Lee was walked intentionally to put runners on first and second base after Ryan Theriot led offwith a single and Mike Fontenot sacrificed him to second.

"D-Lee is hitting .300, he's one of the best hitters the last five years," Ramirez said. "In that situation, you don't want to get beatby one of the best hitters. You walk him and take your chance with the next guy."

Manager Lou Piniella certainly didn't mind.

"Ramirez is the guy you feel comfortable with in that situation," he said. "Ramirez is a professional hitter, he gives you a good professionalat-bat."

Marquis lowered his earned run average from 4.78 to 4.44 with his second strong outing against the hitting-challenged Giants.

Bobby Howry (3-2) picked up the victory with a perfect eighth and Kerry Wood nailed down his 13th consecutive save at Wrigley Field, although he left the tyingruns at second and third base.

The Giants' ninth was only the second time in 36 innings they have had more than one hit in an inning. But after giving up a double, walk and single forone run, Wood struck out Aaron Rowand, retired John Bowker on a fly ball and ended the game on a Rich Aurilia ground out.

"Wood made that a little exciting, but anyhow it's in the win column," Piniella said.

The victory gave the Cubs a 22-4 record with the wind blowing in, even when weather history says it isn't supposed to.

"I said [Wrigley Field] is like the British Open at times," Piniella said. "I'm learning the little idiosyncracies of this ballpark."

Originally Posted by truthmain

History has proven to never count the Cardinals out...so I won't.
yup. as much as i hate LaRussa...the man knows what's up. didn't the Cards have the worst record of a World Series winning team a few yearsago?

and i'll definitely take that win vs. the Brew Crew tonight.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Volquez tomorrow.
pimp.gif

CC vs. Homer Bailey sunday.
sick.gif

Gallagher & Murton made their debut in Oakland tonight

Gallaagher 7 IP, 2H, 2BB, 2ER, 7 SO
Murton 1-5, 2 RBI (Made some nice defensive plays in the outfield)

Looking forward to Harden's start tomorrow.

His pitch count was about 95 pitches for the A's. It'll be interesting to see how the Cubs manage his health.

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

i really wish i could add to the thread but we just suck. no pitching whats so ever

i know and it doesn't help that roy o hip keeps naggin him
tired.gif

Cain pitched a great game.
That 7th inning he just torched 3 batters in a row.

Tyler Walker
smh.gif

Tough loss.

I'd never wish injury on a player, but how funny would it be if Harden got injured in his first start
laugh.gif

I've watched him for almost 5 years.
When he's on/healthy, he's a top 3 pitcher in the league, believe that.
The problem is, his %+! is NEVER healthy

He will go on the dl at sometime or another this year.

Back
Top Bottom