O.J. Mayo reportdley received $30k worth of gifts from associates while attending USC. EDIT:OTL Vid

laugh.gif
Didn't someone say OJ drove off from the NCAA tournament in lambo the night USC was eliminated?

Romeo is giving the gifts next season.

Whats the NCAA gone say when they all sitting front row at a lakers game watching Mayo?

No his teammates aint benefiting from his dad they benefiting from a teammate.
What can you say? Are they gone say that he cant look out for his teammates cause his dad's connections made him rich?
Romeo got at least 25 million of his own dollars at his disposal, the NCAA gone declare him ineligible ? This next season at USC is gone determine a lot as faras the direction of gifts. cause I know Percy aint gone have Romeo in a dorm and I know Romeo aint living by himself.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Whats the NCAA gone say when they all sitting front row at a lakers game watching Mayo?

What can you say? Are they gone say that he cant look out for his teammates cause his dad's connections made him rich?
Romeo got at least 25 million of his own dollars at his disposal, the NCAA gone declare him ineligible ? This next season at USC is gone determine a lot as far as the direction of gifts. cause I know Percy aint gone have Romeo in a dorm and I know Romeo aint living by himself.

I was also wondering about how that. What would the NCAA say about a player spending his own money on himself and his teammates?

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Romeo got at least 25 million of his own dollars at his disposal, the NCAA gone declare him ineligible ? This next season at USC is gone determine a lot as far as the direction of gifts. cause I know Percy aint gone have Romeo in a dorm and I know Romeo aint living by himself.

Of course he can't look out for his teammates. If that stuff was legal, every school would get a billionaire's son on their team and have him handout cash. Romeo doesn't have to live in a dorm, but if he has a roommate from the team, the roommate has to pay his fair share of rent.

this is gonna be alot more frequent unless the NBA makes another age rule change. All those 1 and done players have nothing to lose by taking gifts
[Jeezy]the realist !@$! I ever wrote[Jeezy]

The NCAA is not going to punish USC because they're a cash cow. Coincidence that we've heard about USC athletes receiving money on the side multiple times in the last couple of years?
Yup, the NCAA is so much of a joke IMO it's not even funny.

I'm sure that mad schools/players are doing this yet they go after little Alabama State University to prove a point?
Also, they get Kelvin Sampson for making phone calls and giving out t-shirts + drawstring bags?

I know "rules are rules" but I'm not mad at Mayo or any other athlete getting theirs...screw the NCAA

I'm sure that mad schools/players are doing this yet they go after little Alabama State University to prove a point?
Also, they get Kelvin Sampson for making phone calls and giving out t-shirts + drawstring bags?

and blind eyes are turned in instances like how Milt Wagner somehow ends up as an assistant coach at Memphis....coincidentally, Dajuan ends up going there fora season....

it goes even further than accepting payments....

before the whole Pitt scandal at SJU, dudes on the B-Ball team were living a life of luxury....

That's what I'm saying DoubleJ's... I mean there was a thread this week about the controversy of the UCLA program and Wooden yet you don't hearabout that.

It's really whatever, I hope they don't implement that two year rule (even tho I know they will) cause I want all of the extremely gifted players to dotheir one year bid and get the hell up outta dodge...

It's a joke how many haters are on this board. The only reason SC is being singled out in this is because ESPN's formula in creating stories ispropping up programs with immense hype and then bringing them down with "investigations" that are just as often speculative smear campaigns as theyare truth. Everyone knew about Guillory well before O.J. stepped foot at SC, so why does ESPN decide to run these investigations now? This isn't news,it's ESPN cashing in on a story that will resonate through the draft and into next season. If USC is guilty in this, which I have no idea how people cometo the conclusion, then the Pac-10 and NCAA are guilty as well since they all ran investigations into O.J.'s eligibility and concluded that he neverreceived any improper benefits. SC banned Guillory from games and did everything they could to put distance between him and O.J.. Also, it's not like SCwas in a heated recruiting battle for O.J., he literally fell into their lap, so how can anyone think that SC bought O.J.? But then again, people here run withspeculation and hear what they want to hear.

My entire point to this whole thing is that it wasn't unexpected. A guy like him, you just knew something like this would come out eventually. I may havegone a bit far with calling him a dirtbag, but I mean like dude knows he's going to hit the NBA at some point and be loaded. Why risk it on getting acouple hundred here and there and having clothes for you? Student athletes get free clothes anyway, hell I wasn't even a student athlete at St Johns and Igot mad clothes for free. I know its not like go out to a club clothes or whatever, but it is something. Dude could have seriously messed up his career. Thisisn't exactly something new though, and you will here about this more and more. Just not surprising it was him...

If you think Tim Floyd runs a clean program...that's your opinion.

I don't and never have.

Originally Posted by after h0urs

It's a joke how many haters are on this board. The only reason SC is being singled out in this is because ESPN's formula in creating stories is propping up programs with immense hype and then bringing them down with "investigations" that are just as often speculative smear campaigns as they are truth. Everyone knew about Guillory well before O.J. stepped foot at SC, so why does ESPN decide to run these investigations now? This isn't news, it's ESPN cashing in on a story that will resonate through the draft and into next season. If USC is guilty in this, which I have no idea how people come to the conclusion, then the Pac-10 and NCAA are guilty as well since they all ran investigations into O.J.'s eligibility and concluded that he never received any improper benefits. SC banned Guillory from games and did everything they could to put distance between him and O.J.. Also, it's not like SC was in a heated recruiting battle for O.J., he literally fell into their lap, so how can anyone think that SC bought O.J.? But then again, people here run with speculation and hear what they want to hear.

took the words right outta my mouth

The Mayo hate on here is RIDICULOUS ...
Seriously!

My entire point to this whole thing is that it wasn't unexpected. A guy like him, you just knew something like this would come out eventually. I may have gone a bit far with calling him a dirtbag, but I mean like dude knows he's going to hit the NBA at some point and be loaded. Why risk it on getting a couple hundred here and there and having clothes for you? Student athletes get free clothes anyway, hell I wasn't even a student athlete at St Johns and I got mad clothes for free. I know its not like go out to a club clothes or whatever, but it is something. Dude could have seriously messed up his career. This isn't exactly something new though, and you will here about this more and more. Just not surprising it was him...

"A guy like him" - Exactly, what the hell do you mean by this statement? You don't even know the guy. You call him a dirtbag and then when youget called out you backpedal like an NFL cornerback.

Dudes calling for the "Death Penalty",
laugh.gif
. Yet they root forprograms such as Texas, Oklahoma, UNC, Duke, Arizona, etc.

This $$@* goes on EVERYWHERE if you have a supreme talent...Esp if you got mean @%% boosters...Like Bama Florida State, Kentucky Duke, etc....

Fixed!

I like how dreClark tip toed around Duke and FSU,
laugh.gif
, yet puts Kentuckyon blast.

Ya'll dudes are hilarious with your "holier than thou" attitudes. I'm all for athletes getting paid, perks, etc. The NCAA exploits them.

ummmmmmmm for the record who is hating on mayo IN THIS THREAD?

I like how dreClark tip toed around Duke and FSU,
laugh.gif
, yet puts Kentucky on blast.
duke has no where near the amount of boosters that the other schools have. FSU is another story
laugh.gif

You can say it and write it in bylaws but if you honestly think those kids wont get a lot extra while Romeo is at SC your mistaken. Find me someone madd thatathletes are getting gifts.

i watched the special on espn twice....dude is screwed...and so is his career possibly.

SMH @ thinking you can get away with that by funneling through your friends....and SMH even more @ dude who went all out on the snitch status...

Whether or not ESPN is putting SC "on blast" is irrelevant. It isn't like ESPN is making up this story with no proof to back it up. Ifthey're clean, they're clean. If not, then they deserve whatever's coming to them...sorry.

Originally Posted by d3772000

i watched the special on espn twice....dude is screwed...and so is his career possibly.

SMH @ thinking you can get away with that by funneling through your friends....and SMH even more @ dude who went all out on the snitch status...
you do no he put his name in the NBA draft right? what ever happened at USC will have no affect on him in the NBA what so ever

Originally Posted by GingersAintBad

Are you surprised? Mayo will be the next JR Rider having a lot of potential but in the end f'ing it all up. I don't understand why you'd be surprised? He went to college for one year, said F it and will be in the draft this year. Teams will draft him without considering the fact that he is a dirtbag and will in the end mess up his opportunity. Its a cycle of this nonsense with the NBA where "questionable" players are still taken and then in turn they do something to embarass themselves, their teams, and the league.

A lot of teams send out investigators to look up the athletes they are interested in. And O.J's stock went up because the investigators found out hehasn't been doing anything wrong. Dude will be alright.

can someone tell me how was he a 20 year old freshmen? how many yrs was he in hs?

I like how dreClark tip toed around Duke and FSU
Oh boy, here we go. Where you get your facts amaze me, but I know for a fact Duke has no where near the boosters that the big football schoolshave. Alleva made sure of that. Not to mention I was with the basketball and football players day in and day out and NEVER seen or heard of these dudesreceiving "benefits", especially dudes like JJ and Shelden.

And the whole thing with Duhon gets blown out of proportion. Dudes family was living comfortably before he even got to Duke so his moms packin' up andmoving to Durham was her doing. And the only reason they moved was for Chris to be close to his lil' brother (I'm sure you seen that tweety birdheaded brother of his on TV before
laugh.gif
).

Everybody wanna piece of the Juice- this is no surprise.

I really don't care- dudes fighting over the scraps from OJs popularity.
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom