O.J. Mayo reportdley received $30k worth of gifts from associates while attending USC. EDIT:OTL Vid

Originally Posted by Berkeley Boy

I honestly have ZERO problems with college athletes receiving "gifts". The schools get assloads of donations to their sports programs on the backs of these kids.

cosign... i see no moral problem with it, other than it's against the rules. i don't see how anyone can really judge someone's character basedon them accepting gifts

Rather than state the obvious that Im not surprised

I'll ask this, does this hurt his stock any for the draft ?

laugh.gif
not surprised

The NCAA is not going to punish USC because they're a cash cow. Coincidence that we've heard about USC athletes receiving money on the side multipletimes in the last couple of years?

I understand it goes on everywhere... But at some point, the NCAA is going to have to either react and lay down a punishment. Either that, or just come to yoursenses, realize it's going on everywhere because of the revenue these kids bring their schools/programs, and allow these kids to get bi-weekly or monthlystipends... I've really come around on the idea of these kids deserving their slice of the pie. I know damn well I'd have never made it through collegewithout some sort of steady income, and if I had played sports and couldn't have held a job, I'd have been all over any gifts someone wanted to throwmy way.
laugh.gif

It's like the BCS conference heads turning down a playoff because they don't want to "professionalize" college football, but its the sameconference heads taking on every sponsor they can find, adding bowl games to an already inflated schedule, and doing everything in their power to generate morerevenue for their schools...
smh.gif

i don't think this should hurt his draft stock that much... some teams might see it as a distraction or character issues though

but it's not like he's fighting charges, they aren't gonna do anything to him personally

Originally Posted by WILLINC

Rather than state the obvious that Im not surprised

I'll ask this, does this hurt his stock any for the draft ?
why would it? this has nothing to do with his play

why would it? this has nothing to do with his play
In a world where "character issues" dominate the draft headlines, i think it may have some impact, but i still say he goes pretty highthough

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

The NCAA is not going to punish USC because they're a cash cow. Coincidence that we've heard about USC athletes receiving money on the side multiple times in the last couple of years?

I understand it goes on everywhere... But at some point, the NCAA is going to have to either react and lay down a punishment. Either that, or just come to your senses, realize it's going on everywhere because of the revenue these kids bring their schools/programs, and allow these kids to get bi-weekly or monthly stipends... I've really come around on the idea of these kids deserving their slice of the pie. I know damn well I'd have never made it through college without some sort of steady income, and if I had played sports and couldn't have held a job, I'd have been all over any gifts someone wanted to throw my way.
laugh.gif

It's like the BCS conference heads turning down a playoff because they don't want to "professionalize" college football, but its the same conference heads taking on every sponsor they can find, adding bowl games to an already inflated schedule, and doing everything in their power to generate more revenue for their schools...
smh.gif
this is baketball tho NCAA coming down hard on USC bball program wouldnt affect football what so ever.USC can deny doing anything wrong since theydidnt pay OJ a agent did. at worse they would just have to forfit all wins from last year

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Who was the last non-Black athlete to get "caught" for these type of violations? In any sport?

I don't care about stirring anything up here. I'm just genuinely curious to know cuz I can't think of/remember any.

when was the last non black athlete who deserved it? I def can't remember any.

The Mayo hate on here is RIDICULOUS ...

I'm sure your favorite NCAA player of the past year has received some benefits too, Mayo is a true leader on the basketball court too. This guy is farfrom a "dirtbag"

Man seriously eff this dude (the snitch) he just wanted to out Mayo cause he was booted from the payroll

i know it's against the rules, so i'll say this about any collegiate athlete ready to make the big bucks:

just say no to gifts. you risk suspension (although i know he won't be with the program, if the ncaa found out during the season, he would've beensuspended for sure and not get any chance to show off his talent, thus dropping his stock). you're going to be making millions in a year, so what's30k worth of stuff?

Originally Posted by vctry20

Who was the last non-Black athlete to get "caught" for these type of violations? In any sport?

I don't care about stirring anything up here. I'm just genuinely curious to know cuz I can't think of/remember any.

what? define "deserve."

Originally Posted by 10508 Cardo Jr Ln

Who didn't see this coming
SO many athletes get this type of treatment that it shouldnt make news anymore. What would be more shocking is who DOESN'T get the benefits.. lol

Not surprising at all....considering he chose USC over other schools...and the hate for OJ is ridiculous...

Originally Posted by acidicality

Not surprising at all....considering he chose told USC over other schools...and the hate for OJ is ridiculous... he was coming there and Tim Floyd could just leave the recruiting to him...and he also told Floyd, thru his people, he couldn't have OJ's number, OJ would call him.

Shocking.

Kinda on topic, Tim Floyd is as shady as it gets IMO. And I've been sayin that forever, glad he has some dirt on his hands now.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Originally Posted by Berkeley Boy

I honestly have ZERO problems with college athletes receiving "gifts". The schools get assloads of donations to their sports programs on the backs of these kids.

cosign... i see no moral problem with it, other than it's against the rules. i don't see how anyone can really judge someone's character based on them accepting gifts

I don't think they should be allowed to accept gifts from outside personnel, but I do think that they should be getting stipends. I mean, the schoolsdo make tons and tons of money on these kids, and all they have to do is let them attend the school for free. I wanna know how much top programs rake inannually.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by I FR3SH I

this is gonna be alot more frequent unless the NBA makes another age rule change. All those 1 and done players have nothing to lose by taking gifts

this is the most sense Fresh has made in my time on NT....I gotta co-sign, especially his last sentence

I was about to say the same thing. FR3SH...making sense...
eek.gif

Agreed though. My second semester GPA would be such trash as well.
laugh.gif

I've really come around on the idea of these kids deserving their slice of the pie.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

What revolutionary event made you come to the conclusion that these kids deserve the money?
eyes.gif

While I don't agree with any college athlete taking gifts from the program, there is a difference in what Mayo is doing. He was essentially pimped by a anagent, that sent him to a school of their choice and they took care of his handlers. THe really shady part is that Tim Floyd knew this was going on withGuilroy who had other problems with Trepaignier. But this isn't the only place that this happens, look at Worldwide Wes (Google is your friend) and Memphishe has in the past two years "directed" Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans there, and possibly Devin Ebanks.

smh.gif

There's plenty of players who do it, he just got caught
laugh.gif

I honestly think my boys Greg Oden and Conley took gifts and cash too
smh.gif

Originally Posted by vctry20

All these QB's in D1... Peyton, Eli, Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn, Leinart, etc. Ya'll really think these dudes didn't get any perks? REALLY?

And I don't know how people can eliminate other sports like track & field, baseball, etc just because they are "too white". That's thepoint of my question.

Back
Top Bottom