November 5th is "Bank Transfer Day". Update pg.10

I have BoA, and haven't really had any issues with them...but I'd consider switching to a credit union. Is there a list online somewhere that we can find that shows credit unions in your area? I'm not if there are any around me.

Originally Posted by devildog1776

IM down... i been telling people about pulling their money out for a while , its just most people didnt see a reason to do so... NOW WITH THE CAPITALIZED IMPERIALISTIC PLUTONOMY IN QUESTION THIS IS THE TIME TO SHOW THEM WE ARE IN CHARGE AND WITHOUT US THERE IS NO THEM...

- DONT PAY YOUR CAR
- DONT PAY YOUR MORTAGE
- PULL YOUR MONEY AND CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNTS
- WAIT FOR IT....................

130722803094-brilliant.jpg

Originally Posted by solegit08til

Originally Posted by Jking0821

One Nevada Credit Union
pimp.gif

And to those saying "I'll stay with bank, I pity a credit union", how will you feel if this move is big enough to bankrupt your bank and your money is gone?

Bank of America earns $6.2 billion in 3rd quarter, largely from accounting gains, sale of Chinese bank stake - @AP http://on.wsj.com/qLuZat

Lettuce be cereal

This is a great thought and all but your little credit union has a much much greater risk of default then a big bank.  "Too Big To Fail" ring any bells

Okay but the plan isn't to cause the credit unions to default. "The bigger they are, the harder they fall" ring any bells. Titanic son.
laugh.gif

....okay? banks AND credit unions are both FDIC insured. what are yall talking about?

- reminds me of a CBS News story i seen in 2008 where this bank was taken over and this old white man showed up with a briefcase, upset thinking he couldnt get his money back. the whole time im thinking how stupid people are
30t6p3b.gif

useref15 wrote:
I have BoA, and haven't really had any issues with them...but I'd consider switching to a credit union. Is there a list online somewhere that we can find that shows credit unions in your area? I'm not if there are any around me

- credit unions are listed just like banks in the yellow pages. they should have 'credit union' in their title. however, most credit unions dont let any and everyone join. you usually have to work at certain places to become a member.....or be a family member of a member.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

Bank of America earns $6.2 billion in 3rd quarter, largely from accounting gains, sale of Chinese bank stake - @AP http://on.wsj.com/qLuZat

Lettuce be cereal

This is a great thought and all but your little credit union has a much much greater risk of default then a big bank.  "Too Big To Fail" ring any bells

Okay but the plan isn't to cause the credit unions to default. "The bigger they are, the harder they fall" ring any bells. Titanic son.
laugh.gif

....okay? banks AND credit unions are both FDIC insured. what are yall talking about?

- reminds me of a CBS News story i seen in 2008 where this bank was taken over and this old white man showed up with a briefcase, upset thinking he couldnt get his money back. the whole time im thinking how stupid people are
30t6p3b.gif

useref15 wrote:
I have BoA, and haven't really had any issues with them...but I'd consider switching to a credit union. Is there a list online somewhere that we can find that shows credit unions in your area? I'm not if there are any around me
- credit unions are listed just like banks in the yellow pages. they should have 'credit union' in their title. however, most credit unions dont let any and everyone join. you usually have to work at certain places to become a member.....or be a family member of a member.

Or be a local with a local address to the city/area that the credit union is located in.

Lettuce be cereal

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

useref15 wrote:

No they aren't

When you join a credit union, you don't really make a "deposit." Instead, you become a "member" of the credit union and the dollars you put in are called "shares." If your credit union is insured by the National Credit Union Insurance Fund, or NCUSIF, your shares are insured in a similar way to the way bank deposits are insured by the FDIC.
Similar but not the same there are caveats

Originally Posted by soltheman

Originally Posted by ksteezy

I've been with Chase for about 4 years, I used to get hit with a bunch of fees in the past and I used to get tight, but then I realized it was really my fault, I would swipe and swipe and then cry when I would be charged 90$ for three 2$ transactions that were over drafted...I started monitoring my account better and every time I see something fishy I dial their number, safe to say now I'm pretty content with them...can someone shed some knowledge on why is it that so many people have issues with their banks, because if it's their fees, you can easily avoid any of that by being more aware....other than that I really don't know what the problem is, they've never taken any money from me without a reason....not trying to start a debate, I just really don't understand what the problem is and I couldn't open the article Hank posted...so some insight would be appreciated.
It's not just the overdrafts and fees that people are waning to take out their money for. At least, I hope not. That's a responsibility that falls on the customer.

The main driving force for this major withdraw is (or at least should be) the way in which major banks handle the money that they receive. Every time you deposit money, a bank makes money from your deposit. Say you deposit $5. The average bank considers that $5 deposit an ~$40 investment. How? They essentially fabricate money on paper. A lot of the money that banks claim to have doesn't actually exist -- and the arrests show it.

A bank is suppose to have all the money for every customer's personal accounts, in addition to mortgages and interest on certain accounts. I would bet that most, if not all banks, could supply money for half the mortgages that they cover. Why? Because they don't actually have the money. Do you think that we actually have trillions of dollars in circulation? Nah. The federal reserve (which is suppose to supervise and regulate banking institutions in America) basically prints money at its will, decreasing the value of the dollar globally and adding to inflation nationally.

Are there people hoping on the band wagon because they hate their fees? Yeah. But are there people doing it to expose the corruption within our banking system? You bet so. I would never sign up for a big bank...they just don't make sense to me. But if it works for you, then by all means play on playa.

So a run on banks will help how?

A bank is not supposed to have any more than 10% of their deposits on hand at any time.  Perfectly legal to do so. Whether or not that is the way things should work is debatable.

I'll tell you one thing, that system of banking is what allowed the youngest country to become the most powerful and richest in the world.   The growth of our economy over
the last 60 or so years is directly attributable to fractional reserve banking and the expansion of credit.

Our lives would be much different without this system.  All the technological advances, increased standards of living and pretty much everything that encompasses the "american dream" is a result of the system we have in place.

And I'll tell you one last thing.  It is clearly an unsustainable model and the 1% know this far better than any of the 99%.  You all are going to tear down this unsustainable system for them so that they can start a new one.  And believe, the 99% will be exploited just as much if not more than before.

They talk about NWO and a single world currency.  That is exactly what will happen if a few of these big banks fail and the system implodes.  And you all are going to walk right into it, you are organizing the beginning steps for them.  Nice.

I guarantee you none of these protesters has the slightest clue about how to redesign an economic system that's not susceptible to the same greed that ruined our current system. 

eh, my credit union is FDIC insured tho...

regardless, credit unions arent typically big, greedy for profit organizations

so.......

yeah.

A bank is suppose to have all the money for every customer's personal accounts, in addition to mortgages and interest on certain accounts. I would bet that most, if not all banks, could supply money for half the mortgages that they cover. Why? Because they don't actually have the money. Do you think that we actually have trillions of dollars in circulation? Nah. The federal reserve (which is suppose to supervise and regulate banking institutions in America) basically prints money at its will, decreasing the value of the dollar globally and adding to inflation nationally.
this

and im pretty sure lupe said inner che....not inner g.

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

No they aren't

When you join a credit union, you don't really make a "deposit." Instead, you become a "member" of the credit union and the dollars you put in are called "shares." If your credit union is insured by the National Credit Union Insurance Fund, or NCUSIF, your shares are insured in a similar way to the way bank deposits are insured by the FDIC.

.....bruh, you wasted a whole post just to say that?

- and ftr,

[h1]
[h1]FDIC Versus NCUA Insurance: Is One Safer Than the Other?[/h1]
[/h1]
keep-money-safe-300x299.jpg

Many people argue over whether banks or credit unions are the best banking choice, citing reasons like convenience, customer service and interest rates. What’s never discussed, however, is the way in which accounts held by these institutions are insured. Bank accounts are insured by the FDIC, while a completely different agency, the NCUA, insures credit union deposits.

So are there significant differences between the two agencies? Is one form of insurance more reliable than the other?
[h3]The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)[/h3]
The FDIC is an independent government agency founded in 1933 that protects customer deposits into banks and savings associations. FDIC insurance is fully backed by the U.S. government and covers all deposit accounts, such as checking, savings, CDs and money market accounts.

FDIC Insurance Coverage

The FDIC insures qualifying accounts up to the limit per depositor, per institution. That means if you hold two accounts at one bank, both with balances that meet the maximum insurance amount, only half of your money is actually protected. The coverage limits were recently increased. Here are a few examples of how much money the FDIC can currently protect:
  • Single Account: $250,000 per owner
  • Joint Account: $250,000 per co-owner
  • Certain Retirement Accounts: $250,000 per owner
What’s Not Protected

Just because your bank is insured, however, does not mean all your accounts are, even if they’re under $250,000. The FDIC will not insure other financial products that may be offered by banks, like stocks, bonds, mutual funds, money market funds, T-bills, safe deposit boxes, insurance products and annuities.

Additionally, only your principal balance and interest that remain under the limit are guaranteed–if any interest you gain exceeds the maximum insurance amount, it’s vulnerable should something go wrong with your bank so you must keep an eye on your balance. Some accounts have special insurance rules that apply to them specifically as well, which is why it’s very important to check with your bank to determine exactly how much of your money is actually covered and which accounts aren’t.

Are All Banks FDIC Insured?

Somewhat surprisingly, there is no requirement for a bank to be FDIC-insured. However, it’s become a given for most since non-insured banks just can’t compete with those that offer full protection.
[h3]The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)[/h3]
Credit unions are not FDIC insured. This fact does not make them less safe, however. The NCUA, much like the FDIC, is an independent federal agency. It is charged with chartering, supervising and insuring federal credit unions. It’s backed by the U.S. government and operates the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF).

NCUA Insurance Coverage

The insurance coverage the NCUA provides is practically the same as the FDIC. Individual accounts are protected up to $250,000. One difference with NCUA insurance, though, is that it covers share and draft accounts, which are specific to credit unions and do not exist at banks. Further, the $250,000 limit applies to the total deposits with one institution, but additional coverage is available through the NCUSIF in some cases.

What’s Not Protected

Again, like the FDIC, the NCUA does not insure any money invested in stocks, mutual funds, annuities, etc. Always confirm with your credit union which accounts are covered.

Are All Credit Unions NCUA Insured?

Only federal credit unions are automatically covered by NCUA insurance. Some state-chartered institutions are not insured by the NCUA and thus, don’t offer the same protection against credit union failure.

Even so, state-chartered credit unions may still elect to be NCUA insured and most are. Only five percent of credit unions opt to forgo this option and remain privately insured.
[h3]So Which One Is Safest?[/h3]
You may be more familiar with the FDIC because there are just many more banks than credit unions, many of which have failed and made FDIC insurance a newsworthy topic. Even though credit unions tend to be smaller financial institutions with fewer customers, they are in no way inferior to banks when it comes to the safety of your money.

Both the FDIC and NCUA are “backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government.

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

this

They key to understand here is WHY are they printing money?

30t6p3b.gif

No they aren't

.....bruh, you wasted a whole post just to say that?

- and ftr,

[h1]
[h1]FDIC Versus NCUA Insurance: Is One Safer Than the Other?[/h1]
[/h1]
keep-money-safe-300x299.jpg

Many people argue over whether banks or credit unions are the best banking choice, citing reasons like convenience, customer service and interest rates. What’s never discussed, however, is the way in which accounts held by these institutions are insured. Bank accounts are insured by the FDIC, while a completely different agency, the NCUA, insures credit union deposits.

So are there significant differences between the two agencies? Is one form of insurance more reliable than the other?
[h3]The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)[/h3]
The FDIC is an independent government agency founded in 1933 that protects customer deposits into banks and savings associations. FDIC insurance is fully backed by the U.S. government and covers all deposit accounts, such as checking, savings, CDs and money market accounts.

FDIC Insurance Coverage

The FDIC insures qualifying accounts up to the limit per depositor, per institution. That means if you hold two accounts at one bank, both with balances that meet the maximum insurance amount, only half of your money is actually protected. The coverage limits were recently increased. Here are a few examples of how much money the FDIC can currently protect:
  • Single Account: $250,000 per owner
  • Joint Account: $250,000 per co-owner
  • Certain Retirement Accounts: $250,000 per owner
What’s Not Protected

Just because your bank is insured, however, does not mean all your accounts are, even if they’re under $250,000. The FDIC will not insure other financial products that may be offered by banks, like stocks, bonds, mutual funds, money market funds, T-bills, safe deposit boxes, insurance products and annuities.

Additionally, only your principal balance and interest that remain under the limit are guaranteed–if any interest you gain exceeds the maximum insurance amount, it’s vulnerable should something go wrong with your bank so you must keep an eye on your balance. Some accounts have special insurance rules that apply to them specifically as well, which is why it’s very important to check with your bank to determine exactly how much of your money is actually covered and which accounts aren’t.

Are All Banks FDIC Insured?

Somewhat surprisingly, there is no requirement for a bank to be FDIC-insured. However, it’s become a given for most since non-insured banks just can’t compete with those that offer full protection.
[h3]The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)[/h3]
Credit unions are not FDIC insured. This fact does not make them less safe, however. The NCUA, much like the FDIC, is an independent federal agency. It is charged with chartering, supervising and insuring federal credit unions. It’s backed by the U.S. government and operates the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF).

NCUA Insurance Coverage

The insurance coverage the NCUA provides is practically the same as the FDIC. Individual accounts are protected up to $250,000. One difference with NCUA insurance, though, is that it covers share and draft accounts, which are specific to credit unions and do not exist at banks. Further, the $250,000 limit applies to the total deposits with one institution, but additional coverage is available through the NCUSIF in some cases.

What’s Not Protected

Again, like the FDIC, the NCUA does not insure any money invested in stocks, mutual funds, annuities, etc. Always confirm with your credit union which accounts are covered.

Are All Credit Unions NCUA Insured?

Only federal credit unions are automatically covered by NCUA insurance. Some state-chartered institutions are not insured by the NCUA and thus, don’t offer the same protection against credit union failure.

Even so, state-chartered credit unions may still elect to be NCUA insured and most are. Only five percent of credit unions opt to forgo this option and remain privately insured.
[h3]So Which One Is Safest?[/h3]
You may be more familiar with the FDIC because there are just many more banks than credit unions, many of which have failed and made FDIC insurance a newsworthy topic. Even though credit unions tend to be smaller financial institutions with fewer customers, they are in no way inferior to banks when it comes to the safety of your money.

Both the FDIC and NCUA are “backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government.

The accounts that are closed on "bank closure day" are going to be very minimal in the big picture. I really cant see that many people closing accounts to have a huge affect on the large banks.

Also, to everyone who hates BoA, Chase, etc..., are you just closing your checking/savings accounts? how many still have mortgages, credit cards, CD's etc....? are you moving everything? refinancing your mortgage? just a curiosity of mine on how serious people are.

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

this

They key to understand here is WHY are they printing money?

...because they have the authority to?

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

Why can you be arrested for closing YOUR account? I dont get it.
same thing i want to know its not even a crime
funny thing is that i just open my first bank account today

the banks are not allowing protestors to come in to the bank. so they aren't necessarily getting arrested for closing their account. my guess is that it is more of a private property/get out of here while you are protesting type of thing. It is common practice for businesses not to allow protesters into their business, i.e., when i was working for grocery stores and we were on strike and picketing, the surrounding businesses would not let us have our signs in or around their businesses. it just looks bad because it of the way to stories portray it. everything on both sides of it gets exaggerated in the media.

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

Originally Posted by ksteezy

So a run on banks will help how?

A bank is not supposed to have any more than 10% of their deposits on hand at any time.  Perfectly legal to do so. Whether or not that is the way things should work is debatable.

I'll tell you one thing, that system of banking is what allowed the youngest country to become the most powerful and richest in the world.   The growth of our economy over
the last 60 or so years is directly attributable to fractional reserve banking and the expansion of credit.

Our lives would be much different without this system.  All the technological advances, increased standards of living and pretty much everything that encompasses the "american dream" is a result of the system we have in place.

And I'll tell you one last thing.  It is clearly an unsustainable model and the 1% know this far better than any of the 99%.  You all are going to tear down this unsustainable system for them so that they can start a new one.  And believe, the 99% will be exploited just as much if not more than before.

They talk about NWO and a single world currency.  That is exactly what will happen if a few of these big banks fail and the system implodes.  And you all are going to walk right into it, you are organizing the beginning steps for them.  Nice.

I guarantee you none of these protesters has the slightest clue about how to redesign an economic system that's not susceptible to the same greed that ruined our current system. 
No, but that's not the point. You say a bank is to not have anymore than 10% of their deposits on hand at any time. That makes sense, as it's a deterrent for theft, keeps peoples' money safe, etc. However, my point is that they probably don't have even half of the money in their possession. Having things on hand and having things within possession are two very different concepts. A bank can have their money in a safe location and still have it be accessible to them. My point is that most of them don't.

What fueled this country's economy is not the banking system. It's not. Stop thinking that. Without money already being within this country, we wouldn't have had a need for banks. What fueled America's economy (and what is now missing from America) is production, and not only production but the different branches of the corporations that did said production being housed in the U.S. What stopped the growth of the economy is the consolidation and removal of production, and what really hit the general population is the outsourcing of jobs to other countries. But that's another topic for another time.

It's true that our lives would be extraordinarily different without the banking system, and it does have it's conveniences. But, banking existed before the Federal Reserve. The centralization of banking in the U.S. is what led to it's decay. It's not the concept of a bank that is now holding back the American people, it's how that concept is executed.

There can be no perfect system set in place. Why? Because a perfect system changes when the wants and needs of its people change. There isn't a system in existence that exploitation won't occur in. Exploitation is the oldest profession in human existence. However, we can help move towards a system that limits exploitation, keeps wealth distributed more fairly, and forces people to accept the higher responsibilities that come along with belonging to a higher socioeconomic class.

And there already is a single world currency; precious metal (such as gold.) Most people just haven't figured that out yet.

See banks catch you up with the overdraft fees by this:

When you do transactions through out the day they all done before 5pm post at the same time but transactions done after 5pm is not posted until the next day. So if you had $30 in your account and you spent $20 before 5pm and $10 after 5pm, if you called your bank or check your balance at atm around 8pm it will say you have $10 available when in reality you really dont.

so now you thinking I got $10 to spend and spend it then the next day you overdraft.. Its a slick game but my sis who is a banker told me this is how suntrust and boa works

When you do transactions through out the day they all done before 5pm post at the same time but transactions done after 5pm is not posted until the next day. So if you had $30 in your account and you spent $20 before 5pm and $10 after 5pm, if you called your bank or check your balance at atm around 8pm it will say you have $10 available when in reality you really dont.

so now you thinking I got $10 to spend and spend it then the next day you overdraft.. Its a slick game but my sis who is a banker told me this is how suntrust and boa works
thats mostly accurate. but, this is why if you just learn to keep track of your money that you spend, you wont overdraft. its a very simple concept. if you dont have it, dont spend it. 

man, if you have 10 bucks

and you spend 2, 3, 4 and 6, in that order

you should only get hit with one fee

period

these banks will put the 6 and 4 through first, regardless of what posted when or what was spent when, just to hit you with overdraft fees for 2 and 3.

ive had bank managers at the credit union agree that its a flaw in the system and give me my money back...multiple times.

people have a hard time acknowledging a shady business practice, then standing by it...unless, of course, you're not talking to the manager that lives in your city and actually works at your bank

*cough* big banks *cough*

im sure you're gonna say "just keep track of your money"

but regardless, that way of taking in charges to hit you with the most overdraft fees is shady.

anything run for-profit is trying to exploit you...period.

theyre trynna get the most money off of you as possible..like a leech...all of them. give the minimum of services or goods that youre willing to accept for the most money they can take from you.

i keep all my money (thats in the "bank") direct deposited into checking.

supposedly they dont absorb your money from a checking account like a savings account

savings is what they use as their imaginary money, worth they dont actually possess

whereas in checking, they dont....which is why you get dividends on savings money and not on checking

at least, thats what i was told...(prolly not even true)

lol

PERFECT example of why credit unions are better, well mine anyways.

Saturday and Sunday I was buyin a grip of games from Toys R Us. One store told me they couldn't price match their online prices and to order them online.Toys R us put a hold on the money til Tuesday and my account was overdrawn by $150.
I go to my ATM and deposit $300 cash and instantly my balance is $150. No overdraft fees and instant deposits 24/7. It's a free checking account too.

ksteezy wrote:
Just curious, how many of you guys actually pay more than just 2 bills every month???....I can't picture myself without the convenience Chase offers, specially when it comes to bills pay, I can pay all my bills within 2 minutes while sitting on the toilet, how can anyone give that up for the old method of mailing in your bills 10 days befOre their due date....unless you really don't have any real life responsibilities other than a phone bill/car payment.
LET'S SEE.

I HAVE: 

RENT
ELECTRIC BILL
GAS BILL
WATER BILL
CELL PHONE BILL
CABLE BILL
INTERNET BILL
HOME PHONE BILL
STUDENT LOANS
CAR PAYMENT
MOTORCYCLE PAYMENT
CAR INSURANCE
MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE
GYM MEMBERSHIP

I PAY ALL MY BILLS WITH STRAIGHT CASH IN PERSON WITH THE EXCEPTION OF RENT WHICH I PAY WITH A MONEY ORDER. I HAVE A BANK OF AMERICA ACCOUNT BUT AS SOON AS MY PAYCHECK IS DIRECT DEPOSITED, I WITHDRAW THE ENTIRE AMOUNT AND PAY ALL MY BILLS AND STASH THE REST. NOT SURE WHY I STILL HAVE THE ACCOUNT, CLOSING WON'T BE A PROBLEM. I'M ALREADY USED TO USING CASH FOR EVERYTHING.

CONVENIENCE IS GOOD BUT MY PIECE OF MIND IS BETTER.

Back
Top Bottom