NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats what up. :smokin good job baalke. we have a ton of picks this year and next year. built to compete for the next decade. :smokin

Last edited:
Getting rid of Alex, Akers and Manningham will open up like $14-16 mil in cap room. (I think)

Carlos Rodgers has no guarantees for '14. Could cut him next year if they land Revis.

Last edited:
good job baalke. we have a ton of picks this year and next year. built to compete for the next decade.
smokin.gif
I-love-when-a-plan-comes-together.gif

Last edited:
This approach for Reid is far smarter than going through the draft. Who would you rather have? Matt Barkley or Alex Smith? I'll take Smith. Every personnel evaluator would take Smith for what could end up being two second-rounders.

LOLWUT

"but he is light years better than what the Cheifs were rolling out there last year."

LOL

Know what are the Chiefs gong to do with Matt Cassel that still have over 60 million on his contract left oh well good luck to Andy Reid trying to rebuild this franchise 

"but he is light years better than what the Cheifs were rolling out there last year."

LOL

Dont see why thats funny to you. You played the Chiefs twice. You should know how atrocious their QB play was last year. Arguably the worst in the NFL.

Dont get it twisted, I dont think Alex Smith is that good of a quarterback.....but he is light years better than what the Cheifs were rolling out there last year. The Chiefs improved today. Dont know why that is a reason for a Raider fan to celebrate.

????? How on Earth do the Chiefs improve in the short or long term? Alex Smith isn't enough of an improvement over Cassel that it nullifies giving up two second round picks. No way in hell.

Last edited:
Dont see why thats funny to you. You played the Chiefs twice. You should know how atrocious their QB play was last year. Arguably the worst in the NFL.

Alex smith is MAYBE a small improvement over last year,

That small improvement went out the window when they gave up 2 second rounders for him.

You don't give high picks for a player that's on the verge of getting cut.

what was the market really for smith?

his cap hit this upcoming season is 9,750,000 and then 9,000,000 the year after.. which obviously the 49ers wouldnt have been willing to allocate towards a backup QB..

sooooo if not for the chiefs getting fleeced, wouldnt the 49ers just have inevitably cut smith?

Last edited:
Smith was gonna get cut, he wasn't going to restructure cause he wants to start and that wasn't happening with the 9ers.

No. 49ers already said they wouldn't cut Alex.

Obviously.... Because then they wouldn't get nothing in return because teams knew he was getting cut.

I guess it's karma for Reid fleecing teams for back up QBs all those years.

kolb, AJ, Don :lol:

How on Earth do the Chiefs improve in the short or long term? Alex Smith isn't enough of an improvement over Cassel that it nullifies giving up two second round picks. No way in hell.

First of all, I am not condoning the trade on the Chiefs end in the slightest bit. I think they overpaid for sure. And I cant believe I am defending Alex Smith, but Alex is clearly better than Cassel. The funny thing is, thats not even the correct comparison. The comparison should be Alex Smith vs. Brady Quinn....who replaced Cassel last year if you forgot.

Alex is a definite upgrade. His biggest fault is that he doesnt open up the offense because of his careful approach. The Chiefs biggest problem with the offense last year was turnovers....something Alex is going to help with. You and I both know that a 2nd round pick is a steep price to give up, but they will be upgrading the most important position on the field. They obviously feel its worth it.

And unless there are newer reports than what I read, the second pick given up is conditional. So for it to be a 2nd round pick in 2014, wouldnt that mean that Alex actually played really well for them?

Obviously.... Because then they wouldn't get nothing in return because teams knew he was getting cut.

I guess it's karma for Reid fleecing teams for back up QBs all those years.

kolb, AJ, Don
laugh.gif
i mean.. at least with our backups (kolb and AJ), they were young guys when they were traded who had been successful in their brief stints at the helm of the eagles offense..

and mcnabb was somewhat successful.. and was being traded to the ******** (so in the division to a team notorious for bad deals)

but as I mentioned above, those brief stints were fools gold.. because reid changed what did with our offense when those guys replaced mcnabb and actually gave them a great shot at being successful.. he actually used the running game and actually ran a traditional west coast offense (short passes and quick drops/reads).. the only guy he didnt do this for was foles (which makes no sense, given the state of our Oline last season)

if reid scaled things back, like he did for anyone who WAS NOT his intended starter (mcnabb, vick, kolb briefly and foles.. by kolb briefly, i basically mean that 1 green bay game to start the season).. i think smith stands a chance.. but, somehow i doubt that

Last edited:
How on Earth do the Chiefs improve in the short or long term? Alex Smith isn't enough of an improvement over Cassel that it nullifies giving up two second round picks. No way in hell.

First of all, I am not condoning the trade on the Chiefs end in the slightest bit. I think they overpaid for sure. And I cant believe I am defending Alex Smith, but Alex is clearly better than Cassel. The funny thing is, thats not even the correct comparison. The comparison should be Alex Smith vs. Brady Quinn....who replaced Cassel last year if you forgot.

Alex is a definite upgrade. His biggest fault is that he doesnt open up the offense because of his careful approach. The Chiefs biggest problem with the offense last year was turnovers....something Alex is going to help with. You and I both know that a 2nd round pick is a steep price to give up, but they will be upgrading the most important position on the field. They obviously feel its worth it.

And unless there are newer reports than what I read, the second pick given up is conditional. So for it to be a 2nd round pick in 2014, wouldnt that mean that Alex actually played really well for them?

I can't say I agree that Alex is 'clearly' better than Cassel or is a 'definite' upgrade. I'd rather have him than Cassel, sure, but do I think Alex Smith is going to give the Chiefs multiple more wins than Cassel would have? No, definitely not. His flaws are severe and I don't think are correctable. He'll be turning the ball over in an Andy Reid offense, he'll be slow out of the pocket without protection and giving up yards and possessions when caught by defenders. His decision making will still be poor. He won't have the benefit of looking after a neutered playbook, not when Reid gave up a ton to get him and needs to provide results quickly.

Given what the Chiefs gave up, this move was a sidestep or even a step back before it could be considered a step forward.

Chiefs should have just taken the losses this year, and waited for a the QB crop next year, and so forth.
Your not winning a SB with alex smith.

It's a step back.

They could've used that 2nd rounder for Barkley or in an attempt to get Barkley.

Smith was gonna get cut, he wasn't going to restructure cause he wants to start and that wasn't happening with the 9ers.
so if your KC why let him hit the open market and it become a bidding on him? KC,zona,jags,jets and Bills where all rumored teams that wanted to trade for him. so if all the teams said ya lets wait till the 49ers cut him then everyone is bidding for him and you end up paying more then what his contract is now

so if your KC why let him hit the open market and it become a bidding on him? KC,zona,jags,jets and Bills where all rumored teams that wanted to trade for him. so if all the teams said ya lets wait till the 49ers cut him then everyone is bidding for him and you end up paying more then what his contract is now
I also heard that the 49ers had reservations on Smith ending up with the Cardinals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom