New Season Thread Made, Move on Over :)

Just because:
ANDREW BYNUM, C PTS 20.3 REB 13.0 AST 1.8 PER 22.2 (Stats are per 40 minutes)

Scouting report
+ Huge post weapon who can establish deep position and score from short range.
+ Excellent shot-blocker. Won't rotate to perimeter but protects basket.
+ Good post defender. Capable passer but tends to hold ball. Very injury-prone.

Analysis
Bynum stayed healthy all season and broke out with a career-best season, making the first of what's likely to be several All-Star teams thanks to his dominant low-post game. The key for Bynum is getting shots at the rim; he took nearly five a game and converted a stellar 73.2 percent of them, plus he drew a high rate of fouls and most came in this area. He was mortal when pushed to 3-to-9 feet and forced to rely on short hook shots, converting 42.6 percent.

Lakers coach Mike Brown also gave Bynum's numbers a nudge by playing him with the second unit to start the second and fourth quarters; with no Kobe Bryant to monopolize the ball, it ensured lots of touches for Bynum. As a result, his 40-minute scoring rate improved by a whopping five points.

Like his teammate Pau Gasol, Bynum also benefited from an extremely low foul rate that allowed him stay on the court, as his rate of 1.93 whistles per 40 minutes was the least of any frontcourt player. While this sometimes was a negative -- he won't take a foul to prevent a layup, unless his team is down by 30 and J.J. Barea is steaming down the middle of the lane -- it allowed him to play over 35 minutes a game despite iffy stamina.

Better yet, he only missed six games, after missing an average of 31 the previous four seasons. The pounding of his huge frame on the knees will be a major story to watch going forward, as knee problems have caused all his absences.

Meanwhile, Bynum also contributed in other areas. He's an elite rebounder who ranked tenth among centers, and he protected the rim well, finishing in the top third among centers in blocks.

About the only negative, aside from his occasional fantasies of becoming a 3-point shooter, is that he holds the ball a lot in the post and brings the offense to a screeching halt. Making quicker moves and decisions, especially against double-teams, will only make him more potent on the block. So, too would eliminating the comfort dribble that he constantly feels the need to take. Nonetheless, he's arrived as the game's second-best center, and will be just 25 on opening day.
MATT BARNES, SF PTS 12.7 REB 9.1 AST 3.3 PER 14.4 (Stats are per 40 minutes)

Scouting report
+ Slender combo forward who runs the floor well. Good cutter. Lacks strength.
+ Erratic outside shooter. Weak ball handler with high bounce, but good passer.
+ Tough and energetic. Outstanding rebounder for size. Fouls frequently.

Analysis
The Lakers' bench was a huge negative last season, but Barnes provided the one exception to that rule. He quietly (as quietly as can be done as a Laker) had the best season of his career, ripping nearly 10 boards per 40 minutes from the small forward position and ranking second at that spot in rebound rate. He also shot just well enough from the corner (33.3 percent on 3s) to require a bit of respect from opposing defenses.

Although not a great shooter, Barnes is a good cutter and finisher who shot 61.6 percent at the basket and drew a high rate of fouls. Additionally, his passing skills flourished -- he was sixth at his position in assist ratio, albeit at a high cost in turnovers.

Defensively, Barnes doesn't have great feet on the wing and again proved foul-prone -- only six small forwards fouled more often -- but he was seventh in blocks. He competes, too: Opposing small forwards had only a 13 PER against him, and the Lakers weren't any worse with him on the court.

Last edited:
[quote name="SenorRoboto2k5 ]CP3 has always been kinda whiny. I was willing to get over it for the hour he was a Laker and for Team USA, but he's bratty.[/quote]This.

It will be interesting to watch Drew in Philly. Guaranteed double team every possesion :lol:
we'll see how he adjusts w/o Pau and the Mamba

Barnes probably won't even play 10 minutes a game... Billups isn't missing even a month... And they have have Billups, Crawford, Butler, Hill, Odom..

And I bet Bynum puts up better numbers (maybe even better than Dwight) but Lakers will play infinitely better with Dwight than Bynum

Chris Paul is lying through his teeth. Of course he would rather be on the Lakers than to be on the step kids but thats his team now I wouldnt expect him to say anything else. I hope the Lakers beat him down every chance they get but I still love his game.

Trying to get tix tomorrow through presale...

Prolly gunna get Hornets, Wizards and Nets since all the real big games will be gone ASAP.

i was actually hoping that fish would join the lakers coaching staff... much more of a leader and he knows exactly when needs to be done...

Barnes probably won't even play 10 minutes a game... Billups isn't missing even a month... And they have have Billups, Crawford, Butler, Hill, Odom..
And I bet Bynum puts up better numbers (maybe even better than Dwight) but Lakers will play infinitely better with Dwight than Bynum

Only stat I can see Bynum being better than Dwight this year is in points per game.

Dwight will probably lead the league in rebounds & blocks per game this season.

Only stat I can see Bynum being better than Dwight this year is in points per game.

Dwight will probably lead the league in rebounds & blocks per game this season.

Bynum will have a higher free throw percentage, too.

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
Several of LAL's coaches praising the work @dariusmorris4 did this summer both in the weight room & on his J. Looks a lot cleaner.

:smokin

Several of LAL's coaches praising the work @dariusmorris4 did this summer both in the weight room & on his J. Looks a lot cleaner.

There's not many who believe in the kid, but I'm definitely one who does....With Blake and Duhon the only PGs ahead of him, there's reason to believe he will have a damn good shot to be in the rotation :pimp:

There's not many who believe in the kid, but I'm definitely one who does....With Blake and Duhon the only PGs ahead of him, there's reason to believe he will have a damn good shot to be in the rotation
pimp.gif
my bro loves dude but I think he's in over his head.

Had tickets for both the opener and the shaq game... went to checkout and said there was a problem >:

Will have to try tomorrow morning

Jordan Hill looks strong. Asst. coach Darvin Ham expects a big year for the big man backing Howard/Gasol.

I'm expecting a lot from him this year, especially if he plays a lot of minutes with Nash.

There's not many who believe in the kid, but I'm definitely one who does....With Blake and Duhon the only PGs ahead of him, there's reason to believe he will have a damn good shot to be in the rotation :pimp:

Just what we need :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom