New Season Thread Made, Move on Over :)

Kicking off the best shooter from last year's team (granted that isn't saying much).

Aight.

Kicking off the best shooter from last year's team (granted that isn't saying much).
Aight.

He came back overweight.. Unprepared.. And unmotivated..

PG: Nash/Blake/Duhon
SG: Kobe / Meeks
SF: Metta/ Ebanks
PF: Pau/ Jamison/ Clark
C: D12/ Hill

That's 12 spots...

And now 2 shooters on the team better than him.. Meeks & Jamison.

Morris looked better than him in the Summer League.. So Morris is likely to be on team before Goudelock.. Also considering he plays the position we need them at better than Goudelock.

That's 13.

Sacre is loved by Jim, Mitch & Co. Word is they are extremely high on him and scouted him for a while...

That's 14.

We traded to get DJO so it is unlikely he gets the boot.. Goudelock would have to blow him out of the water in training camp.

That's 15.

Not to mention there are a few free agents left on the market... No telling if they sign one of them.. If they do that's 1 less spot those 2nd Rounders have to compete for.

Goudelock will need to have an unbelievable training camp.

I love Goudelock.. But the numbers are against him.

Last edited:
Only better three point shooters are Meeks like you said and Nash.

Everybody else is league average or below.

Only better three point shooters are Meeks like you said and Nash.
Everybody else is league average or below.

What's the point of having Goudelock then.... I'd rather have DJO's versatility and mind you DJO was a good scorer against much tougher competition than Goudelock played in College.

And Morris is a better PG than Goudelock..

Goudelock is the expendable part of the roster..

And of course I'd love to boot Blake or Duhon in favor of Goudelock.. But we know it's not happening..

And we can argue Goudelock is an average shooter as well

Tell me where he fits on this roster... Assuming we don't sign someone else to a guaranteed contract..

Last edited:
Shooting comes at a premium.

Look no further than the Mavs and Heat the last two years.

MWP was on ESPN 710 Max & Marcellus yesterday:

Metta: 'I don't see anybody getting past us'

Los Angeles Lakers forward Metta World Peace joined the Max and Marcellus Show on 710 ESPN radio on Friday to discuss the team's upcoming season and share his thoughts on the reconstructed roster.

"With the way the Lakers are looking this year, I don't see anybody getting past us this year at all," World Peace said.

Despite the Lakers' exit in the second round of the NBA playoffs last spring, World Peace says he believes the team developed good chemistry under coach Mike Brown.

"Not only does he have confidence in his team, he also has confidence in himself," World Peace said. "I gotta trust in myself, trust in my teammates most importantly."

World Peace also talked about what the addition of small forward Antawn Jamison will mean.

"I saw Jamison today," World Peace said. "People forget how much a great rebounder he is. He's one of the greatest rebounders of the game, he has the best touch out of everybody in the NBA, best touch out of all the big men in the game."

Link to the podcast:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8379316

Last edited:
James Worthy says he wasn't a fan of Dwight Howard

Dwight Howard lost a lot of fans as he oscillated between NBA teams during the off-season.

Among them, count Laker great James Worthy.

"I wasn't a fan of Dwight Howard," Worthy said during a conference call Thursday morning to announce his new role as main studio analyst for Lakers games on Time Warner Cable SportsNet.

Worthy said that he likes players who put their head down and do their job. He lamented that with Howard, "there was too much conversation."

"Who said this, I don't like this coach. To me, that's nonsense," Worthy said. "Your job is to come in and play and deal with the situation that's there."

Worthy also greatly disapproved of Howard's reticence to play for the Lakers.

"I was a little bit taken back. I think I heard him say ... if the Lakers drafted him, he wouldn't take it," Worthy said. "I knew that was gibberish."

Worthy, however, made it clear that now that Howard is on the Lakers, he welcomes him to the team. He just thinks that the superstar with a larger-than-life personality needs a minor attitude adjustment.

"This is not Orlando," he said.

After all, as Worthy pointed out, the Lakers have had a long history of great centers, including George Mikan, Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

"It's not like he's bringing this onetime thing to the Lakers," Worthy said.

Worthy thinks that Howard will adjust. He even suggested that the center could thrive alongside superstar Kobe Bryant -- provided that he understands one small thing.

"We already have one superman in this town," he said.

As Worthy cautioned Howard, he praised Steve Nash, the Lakers other slam dunk acquisition this off-season.

"I think my favorite move of the summer was professor Steve Nash," he said. "We haven't had a point guard like that since Magic Johnson."

Worthy said that the team's success this season will hinge on whether Bryant will allow Nash to do what the Lakers brought him aboard to do.

"The key is gonna be if Kobe can defer to Steve Nash and let him run the show," Worthy said.

Worthy called Nash a second coach on the court.

"He's going to make Mike Brown's job so much easier," he said.

As for the Lakers chances of winning a championship this season?

Worthy said the team might not be there just yet.

"They look better on paper," he said. "They look really good on paper. So does a counterfeit $100 bill until you try to spend it. They have work to do."

Worthy, however, was quick to acknowledge that Bryant is hungry for his sixth championship and with both Howard and Nash, his chances greatly increase.

"They should be expected to make the Western Conference Finals, at least," he said.

Link:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-sn-james-worthy-dwight-howard-20120913,0,1372826.story

Here is a update on the negotiations on the situation about non Time Warner Cable TV providers trying to get the channel:

We know you may have questions about where you can see Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes and we want you to have the most current and accurate information Lakers about these channels.

Although they are owned by - and will be carried by - Time Warner Cable, these networks are available to every local cable, satellite and telco TV provider in the area. These networks are not exclusive to Time Warner Cable, and our partners at Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes are working hard to negotiate fair agreements with every TV provider serving Southern California, Clark County, Nevada and Hawaii. We all want these networks to reach fans across this region.

Nets & Suns are not pursuing Barbosa... Based on how the other teams are playing it no one else is either..
Value Signing since he is obviously not getting anything above Vet Min for whatever reason...

I like it. He'd be decent depth. Our bench is the difference between night and day. We shouldn't see any more rotations with Blake at the 2 :lol:

^It's why I want Barbosa...

Have Nash play half his minutes with Kobe. Half with Meeks and CO. to get them rolling each game.. And the minutes Nash doesn't play with Kobe use Barbosa as a reactor off of Kobe..

Then you have Duhon , Blake as stop gap measures for any team.. If you get a couple second rounders out of it beautiful.. Or even as a means to strengthen depth at SF... P is a lil less optimistic about moving Blake. But if you don't ask for much it can be done, especially if a team is hurting and need someone immediately for low cost.

Last edited:
i want Barbosa too, hes exactly what we need as far as guard depth.

i think Meeks can handle the ball well also but not if hes being coached by Mike Brown. hopefully he listens to Nash more often

i want Barbosa too, hes exactly what we need as far as guard depth.
i think Meeks can handle the ball well also but not if hes being coached by Mike Brown. hopefully he listens to Nash more often

Brown plays hands off on Offense.. He did last year... He said he'll make the final decisions and suggestions but has no problems letting Eddie Jordan & Nash draw up plays.

Young mamba & Jellybean:

that interview was long to watch lol

good though

oh man hope he is ready and the rest of the lakers :smile:

Why do i get the feeling from watching that interview that Dwight is most likely leaving after this season ... SMH .. hope i'm wrong

This was a response of mine in the season thread, thought it might be more appropriate in here 

Quote:

First Unit 

Chalmers

Wade 

Lebron

Battier

Bosh

Bench

Cole 

Ray Allen (James Jones)

Mike Miller 

Rashard Lewis

Joel Anthony (Vet Big Man)

Possible Closing Lineups

Any combination of....

Wade, Chalmers, Lebron, Allen, Miller, Lewis, Bosh, Battier

The versatility in this squad is unbelievable.  They will have trouble guarding the Lakers 2 bigs, but you can say the same thing the other way around.  How is Dwight Howard going to guard Chris Bosh if you pull him out to the corner 3 pointer? How will Pau Gasol guard Battier all around the perimeter? It only leaves gaping holes for two of the best slashers in the world.  Then you bring Howard/Gasol inside to take away those lanes and you have an arsenal of 3 point shooters with wide open shots.  Steve Nash does not have the quickness to shift defensively to contest those shots. Kobe might but you're going to wear him out defensively by doing that.  I don't think the Lakers are deep enough to keep up with the Heat, but if their squad can keep the score close until the end of the game, their starting 5 will create some serious damage to whoever they are playing.  

Sorry for turning this into a Lakers vs. Heat discussion 
grin.gif

And IMO there is no chance Dwight leaves after this season

Last edited:
This was a response of mine in the season thread, thought it might be more appropriate in here 

Quote:

And IMO there is no chance Dwight leaves after this season

The Heat can't play 5 guys on the perimeter.. And even if they did It will be a lot of switching by smart veterans on Defense.. Throw Bosh in the corner, and put Pau on him because someone has to play rebounder for the Heat... You can't just let everyone stand 20 feet away and expect to win games against competitive teams, because you can't. And whoever is the rebounder is who Dwight plays.. Or else you are looking at trying to get all points on iso if you're the Heat..

I trust Kobe on Wade. And Metta on Lebron.. Pau on Battier.. Dwight on Bosh...Just play man to man straight up and a lot of what the Heat did against the Thunder will be moot.

What Bron did to the Thunder was his skills.. And Scott Brooks being one of the worst defensive minded Coaches in the League and always trying to collapse on Lebron.. Just play him straight up an let him get his points.. And by doing that you take the entire Heat roster out of the flow of the game..

And tell me this IF the Heat & Lakers play in the finals who guards Dwight? Bosh? If that's so you just pound the ball in play after play.. And watch Bosh get demolished or get in foul trouble.. Then you are playing Joel Anthony on Dwight and it gets worse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom