New Season Thread Made, Move on Over :)

Not to mention K-mart is another Good Defender who has deep playoff experience and can bring tougness and energy when Pau decides to have his soft breakdowns, he also would excel with a guy like nash feeding him open lanes to the basket

Sign Agent 0 ASAP!!!!

We're not looking at him, and he'd never play.. He's better than Duhon, not better than Blake.

And we'd never let him play SG because it would take minutes from Meeks.

As much as I hate to say it, Blake is an OK fit for our bench because he's not a shoot first PG.. And we need someone to get the ball to others.. Yes Blake is awful, but his game is better for us than Gil's.

If Gil could score and pass.. I'd be 100% behind it..

To be a successful bench we need 16 total from Jamison & Meeks... 15 total from everyone else.

Not to mention K-mart is another Good Defender who has deep playoff experience and can bring tougness and energy when Pau decides to have his soft breakdowns, he also would excel with a guy like nash feeding him open lanes to the basket

This.

Do it Mitch! :smokin

Yep. :smokin
So now I can't wait. :smokin Kobe, Nash, Ron, Dwight, & Pau? Dissss... GUSTING! :x With some nice pieces coming off the bench in Jamison & Meeks (UK, baaybeeee!).
I'm just trying to convince myself this will be better long-term than the last time we had 4 STRONG players (GP, Kobe, Karl, & Shaq). Sure, we went to the Finals, but long-term? That was just a 1-year thing, & this has the same potential to be 1-and-out since Dwight is in his last year. Just hope we can convince him to be our next 'face'.

only reason that didnt work out was cause malone was injured against detroit, and kobe took a lot of bad shots..

Posted this in the NBA thread but I'll post it here. Still hasn't hit me that we got Dwight. Wow, I'm very excited for this upcoming season. Now I gotta figure out how much tickets will cost when they play the Warriors because I definitely need to go to a game now.

i think essential1 will call it again, but it all depends on Kmart whether he wants to be a Laker or Knick

Last edited:
LA Times Today:

:smokin

Dwight does look smaller but I'm sure he'll be good to go in a few months.

Between Gasol, Jamison, Hill, and Clark...we'll be straight. If we get K-Mart...another 3/4. :x :smh:

I still have no idea on how we kept Pau,Metta,Blake,and Devin. Clark is going to be good and Duhon isn't bad if Blake goes down.

Dwight does look smaller but I'm sure he'll be good to go in a few months.
Between Gasol, Jamison, Hill, and Clark...we'll be straight. If we get K-Mart...another 3/4. :x :smh:

Martin is a better insurance than Clark... That's half of the reason we are going after him; More reliable production. The other half is those first 6 weeks that Dwight is out, we'll be short on the rotation.. Pau will be moved to Center, Hill will be backup. Jamison starts at the 4. And we need someone to take 20-24minutes at PF. They don't see it as Clark.

And when Dwight comes back Jamison will be primary backup 3. And Ebanks will be limited in minutes again.

Martin is a better insurance than Clark... That's half of the reason we are going after him; More reliable production. The other half is those first 6 weeks that Dwight is out, we'll be short on the rotation.. Pau will be moved to Center, Hill will be backup. Jamison starts at the 4. And we need someone to take 20-24minutes at PF. They don't see it as Clark.
And when Dwight comes back Jamison will be primary backup 3. And Ebanks will be limited in minutes again.

who's clark? obviously a nobody.. and kmart will add something to the team that no player other than kobe has...

Duhon isn't as bad as Smush Parker, Chucky Atkins, or Tierre Brown.

If anything he's a guy we can use to slow down and use fouls on Russell Westbrook.

I have a feeling Bynum when he gets to Philly is going to throw Kobe and the Lakers front office under the bus.Hes's going to say stuff like he's glad he does not have the pressure of playing in LA and for the Lakers. Heck 2 years ago after we lost to the Mavs he was complaining and saying he wanted a bigger role on the team.

Last edited:
We all know that Meeks is a Lakers.. But I posted this article for one reason

Report: The Lakers agree to terms with Jodie Meeks
By Andy Kamenetzky

Dave McMenamin reports the Lakers and Jodie Meeks have agreed to terms on a two-year deal worth around $3 million dollars, with the second year a team option. Mark Medina of the L.A. Times had previously reported Meeks, per his agent David Bauman, wouldn't accept a deal at the league minimum, which for a player of his experience comes out to about $916,000. One week later, a number agreeable for both sides was discovered. The Lakers get a young shooting guard with two years' worth of starting experience for a relative pittance. Meeks nearly doubles his salary from last season and gets to join a title chase.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

On Aug. 1, I provided a breakdown of Meeks as a player, so feel free to talk a walk down Memory Lane. In a nutshell, he provides a legitimate backup for Kobe Bryant (you might have noticed it hurt not having one last season), outside shooting, and youth. Three areas in short supply for the Lakers, and now fortified. Throw in some improving defense and his natural scoring instincts and it's hard to knock the latest drink order during what's evolved into a basketball version of an open bar.

What remains to be seen, however, is how the addition of Meeks affects the rest of the rotation and even the roster. For example, I thought there was a chance the reserve backcourt could be newly acquired Chris Duhon paired with Steve Blake playing off-ball. Clearly, that's no longer the case, meaning one will spell Steve Nash while the other mentors Darius Morris from a seat on the bench. For players with the mileage of Kobe and Nash, lowered minutes are always a goal, but often easier said than done. Meeks on hand makes the goal more realistic. He also complicates matters for a pair of kids lower on the food chain. The likelihood of both Andrew Goudelock and second-round draft pick Darius Johnson-Odom both making the team now feels non-existent. Depending on how many players the front office decides to keep, neither may end up a Laker when it's all said and done.

But the uncertain fate of those youngsters is about the only reason to feel bummed by this turn of events. Quite the summer for Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak, who've certainly earned their paychecks.

If DJO & Goudelock both don't make the roster.. That means a couple of people are being added elsewhere... I really think there is a couple more moves in store.. Mitch & Jimmy just went on Vacation for a couple weeks.. But once they get back, I think something will happen.. Not BIG, but significant for the bench.

You have guys like Delfino (I see you PMatic), Josh Howard, Terrance Williams (Long shot because of his shaky history), Pietrus, McGrady, Al Thornton, Derrick Brown, maybe Even Barnes if he's not employed by Training Camp

Or you can go in the other direction and Kenyon Martin

I don't think this roster is set in stone, and think that there's 2 more spots open.

Last edited:
If DJO & Goudelock both don't make the roster.. That means a couple of people are being added elsewhere... I really think there is a couple more moves in store.. Mitch & Jimmy just went on Vacation for a couple weeks.. But once they get back, I think something will happen.. Not BIG, but significant for the bench.

You have guys like Delfino (I see you PMatic), Josh Howard, Terrance Williams (Long shot because of his shaky history), Pietrus, McGrady, Al Thornton, Derrick Brown, maybe Even Barnes if he's not employed by Training Camp

I don't think this roster is set in stone, and think that there's 2 more spots open.
I'd prefer T-Mac coming off the bench than K-Mart. He looked impressive last year and he can play the 1.

We all know that Meeks is a Lakers.. But I posted this article for one reason

IMO the addition of meeks makes it easier to let go of Goudelock...........at least with DJO there's that possibility of him contributing to the team defensively

from Lakersground

Just listened to Dr. Robert Klapper, chief of orthopedic surgery at Cedar Sinai and ESPN 710's resident expert.

Some highlights:

1. From an orthopedic surgery standpoint he would much rather have Dwight's back than Andrew's knees.

2. The knees have a much more "chronic injury" issue than Dwight's back which is an "acute injury" that can be repaired with very little sequelae.

3. After surgery, you can't play basketball and engage in any heavy physical activity for 4 months.

Why?

Because the injury is a disc herniation: a small amount of the nucleus pulposus or the "shock absorber" of the disc got squeezed out. It is a VERY SMALL amount. You get rid of the "squirted out" material with a 1 inch incision under a microscope.

There is a 5-10 percent chance that returning to physical activity too early could herniate more material. That's obviously not good because you've reherniated the disc and have to remove more of the extruded disc.

Bear in mind that Dwight was fully recovered, pain free, and ready to work out probably a few weeks after surgery (it is only 1 inch incision after all). BUT returning to physical activity too early gets you that 5-10 percent chance. Keep in mind that means there is a 90 to 95% chance that if he came back after only a month or so he would be fine.

But he is Dwight Howard and so they are being super, super cautious.

4. He had surgery 0*****/2012 which means he should be able to resume training, weights, basketball activity, etc around 08/20/2012 if everything goes according to schedule and he feels no pain, etc.

5. Per Dr. Klapper, based on that schedule Dwight should be ready for opening night (10/30/2012). He'll have 2 months to get his conditioning back. Again assuming he recovers as expected and at his age and conditioning there should be NO REASON for any setbacks.

6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.

7. By way, reading some medical papers addressing the effects of laminectomy on NBA athletes, those papers support Dr. Klapper's assertion that Dwight should be back as good as new.

8. That should answer the question why teams are still willing to kill themselves to get Dwight Howard despite this "back injury" issue. It's a non-issue moving forward. Also why he and his agent are very comfortable not extending and waiting for the end of the season to sign a new max contract. They know, all-world BEAST 3x DPOY Howard is coming back this year. With Stephen A interview, Dwight pointed out that he absolutely felt he could have won a 4th straight DPOY if he had been fully healthy. He's ready to come back and remind everyone who he is on the basketball floor. Trust me, he may be smiling but this whole Dwightmare did affect him and he's going to playing with an edge, especially on defense.

The most dominant defensive force in the NBA basically feels disrespected and the league has NO IDEA what is coming down on them from the 5 slot.

Summary: If everything goes according to schedule, we should hear something by the end of August that Dwight is starting to work out again on the court, lifting, running etc.

Chances are good that he'll be ready for the start of the season.

Chances overwhelmingly good that there will be no lasting effect from this particular injury.

Final point: He played with a lot of pain and discomfort when the incompetent, dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms." He said it was more pain than he had ever experienced since he was in the league.

That's why the thing that hurt him personally the most in the media was that he was faking an injury and quitting on his team. He put up All-Star numbers last year playing with a herniated disc.

When I think of Bynum taking plays and games off and openly admitting it while Dwight is still putting up the numbers he did with an injury that ultimately required surgery and in a toxic, destructive environment . . . I think there is no doubt the sort of heart and work ethic Dwight is going to bring to our team.

Hope all of this is a bit reassuring.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8259772

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8259216

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8259317

from Lakersground
Just listened to Dr. Robert Klapper, chief of orthopedic surgery at Cedar Sinai and ESPN 710's resident expert.
Some highlights:
1. From an orthopedic surgery standpoint he would much rather have Dwight's back than Andrew's knees.
2. The knees have a much more "chronic injury" issue than Dwight's back which is an "acute injury" that can be repaired with very little sequelae.
3. After surgery, you can't play basketball and engage in any heavy physical activity for 4 months.
Why?
Because the injury is a disc herniation: a small amount of the nucleus pulposus or the "shock absorber" of the disc got squeezed out. It is a VERY SMALL amount. You get rid of the "squirted out" material with a 1 inch incision under a microscope.
There is a 5-10 percent chance that returning to physical activity too early could herniate more material. That's obviously not good because you've reherniated the disc and have to remove more of the extruded disc.
Bear in mind that Dwight was fully recovered, pain free, and ready to work out probably a few weeks after surgery (it is only 1 inch incision after all). BUT returning to physical activity too early gets you that 5-10 percent chance. Keep in mind that means there is a 90 to 95% chance that if he came back after only a month or so he would be fine.
But he is Dwight Howard and so they are being super, super cautious.
4. He had surgery 0*****/2012 which means he should be able to resume training, weights, basketball activity, etc around 08/20/2012 if everything goes according to schedule and he feels no pain, etc.
5. Per Dr. Klapper, based on that schedule Dwight should be ready for opening night (10/30/2012). He'll have 2 months to get his conditioning back. Again assuming he recovers as expected and at his age and conditioning there should be NO REASON for any setbacks.
6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.
7. By way, reading some medical papers addressing the effects of laminectomy on NBA athletes, those papers support Dr. Klapper's assertion that Dwight should be back as good as new.
8. That should answer the question why teams are still willing to kill themselves to get Dwight Howard despite this "back injury" issue. It's a non-issue moving forward. Also why he and his agent are very comfortable not extending and waiting for the end of the season to sign a new max contract. They know, all-world BEAST 3x DPOY Howard is coming back this year. With Stephen A interview, Dwight pointed out that he absolutely felt he could have won a 4th straight DPOY if he had been fully healthy. He's ready to come back and remind everyone who he is on the basketball floor. Trust me, he may be smiling but this whole Dwightmare did affect him and he's going to playing with an edge, especially on defense.
The most dominant defensive force in the NBA basically feels disrespected and the league has NO IDEA what is coming down on them from the 5 slot.
Summary: If everything goes according to schedule, we should hear something by the end of August that Dwight is starting to work out again on the court, lifting, running etc.
Chances are good that he'll be ready for the start of the season.
Chances overwhelmingly good that there will be no lasting effect from this particular injury.
Final point: He played with a lot of pain and discomfort when the incompetent, dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms." He said it was more pain than he had ever experienced since he was in the league.
That's why the thing that hurt him personally the most in the media was that he was faking an injury and quitting on his team. He put up All-Star numbers last year playing with a herniated disc.
When I think of Bynum taking plays and games off and openly admitting it while Dwight is still putting up the numbers he did with an injury that ultimately required surgery and in a toxic, destructive environment . . . I think there is no doubt the sort of heart and work ethic Dwight is going to bring to our team.
Hope all of this is a bit reassuring.
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8259772
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8259216
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8259317
Very interesting.. repped

Thanks for posting that, I was feeling confident that Dwight would be ready to play on opening night or at least near it, but now I feel informed about what's happening.

Back
Top Bottom