Lakers cap space in 2014-2015 if Howard is on the second year of a max deal

$42-44 million depending on how much the cap raises in the next 2 years

Mitch :pimp:

the original basketball reasons plan was lo+gasol for CP3
and then dwight for bynum

so this trade is almost like trading lo+bynum for dwight and nash

8)

Kobe Bryant is ready to hand Lakers' reins over to Dwight Howard

LONDON — On the day the Lakers officially acquired the man who could one day lift the franchise torch from the aging hands of Kobe Bryant, another equally compelling thing happened.

Bryant said he would be ready, willing and thrilled to hand it to him.

Look, I'm going to play two, maybe three more years … then the team is his," Bryant said Friday night. "I'm excited for the Laker franchise. Now they have a player that can carry the franchise well after I'm gone. It should be his. He should be willing to accept that challenge."

Bryant was speaking almost giddily after an Olympic semifinal game against Argentina in which Howard, although back in Los Angeles, chalked up his first Lakers statistic. Who would have guessed that it would be an assist? That's how it appeared during the game's first five throwback minutes, Bryant seemingly renewed by Howard's arrival and energized that his Lakers were true title contenders again.

After trudging through most of this tournament, Bryant suddenly flew. After acting old and distracted, he was suddenly young again.

He hit one three-pointer, then a dunk, then another three, and another three. There was a steal. There was a defensive rebound. By the time the game was five minutes old, Bryant had already scored 11 points in an eventual 109-83 victory.

Soon after the game was finished, he was standing in front of me acting as openly happy as I've seen Kobe Bryant act in two years. The protocol was that I initially ask questions about the Olympics, but I asked only about Howard, who was officially acquired Friday in a long-awaited, four-team deal in which Andrew Bynum was sent to the Philadelphia 76ers.

Turns out, the heck with the Olympics. Bryant couldn't stop talking about the NBA's gold-medal big man.

"It's going to be sensational," he said.

"One of the greatest players of all time," he said.

"We're excited about the physical presence he brings, the athleticism he brings," he said.

Then he talked about passing that torch, and considering Bryant has spent the last few years acting as though he would rather swallow it, those words burned with meaning.

This trade for the NBA's biggest and baddest player will work only if the combination of Howard and Bryant can work, and that's never been a sure thing. There were reports last winter that Howard was reluctant to come to Los Angeles because, in a supposed recruiting phone call, Bryant told him he would only be the team's third option. Howard apparently didn't think he could live with Bryant's attitude, and because of that, he told officials he would not consider signing a contract extension beyond this season if traded to the Lakers.

Judging from Friday, either Bryant never said those things or he's totally changed his feelings, because he was truly excited and embracing.

This time, the phone call came from Howard to Bryant. And this time, Bryant said he was a regular Welcome Wagon.

"I talked to Dwight this morning, he gave me a call, he was happy to find a home," said Bryant. "I told him, Los Angeles is the perfect place for him, look at history, all the great centers that have come to L.A., now he's the next in line, he couldn't have been in a better position than to be with this type of an organization."

Now that Bryant has talked about sacrificing, did he think Howard would also be willing to sacrifice?

"He's not going to have to sacrifice that much," Bryant said. "If he does what he does, he'll get more touches here than he did in Orlando. ... The simple fact is, we'll play through him a lot. He'll be a lot more at ease because he's surrounded by better talent."

As for the Lakers' defense, Bryant confirmed the obvious, that everything will revolve around the NBA's ultimate stopper.

"You can really funnel a lot of things into him; it gives you the ability to play passing lanes a lot more," he said.

Does Howard make the Lakers a championship team? "Absolutely," Bryant said.

Does that mean the Lakers can now match up with the defending champion Miami Heat? "We're bigger," Bryant said.

Are his Olympic teammates upset at the potential change of order in the NBA, with the Lakers once again somehow finding their way back to the top?

"They're not saying much to me; I've heard they are, but we haven't had those conversations yet," Bryant said with a chuckle.

He got serious when he confirmed that this trade is really not about Dwight Howard, but about the Lakers, and their consistent commitment to a championship. Even amid leadership transition, with Jim Buss taking sometimes awkward control from Jerry Buss, the Lakers refuse to be anything but the Lakers. This trade was a huge win for the younger Buss, another huge endorsement of General Manager Mitch Kupchak, and yet another reason the Lakers are the best franchise in professional sports.

"History speaks for itself," said Bryant. "There are certain franchises that seem to make all the right decisions. The credit goes to management. The CP [Chris Paul] trade falls through, they regroup, and they come up with something that's even better. It's impressive."

Their star is on his last legs. They take a chance and trade their beloved young Bynum for a guy they believe can be the next star. From Kobe Bryant to Dwight Howard, the line of succession has been found.

Link:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...ke-kobe-howard-20120811,0,1378387,full.column

I just slapped this together to take into work

:rofl:

What the heck !

That some creepy looking doll...uh I meant action figure :lol:

On a different subject can you drop your 2 cents and thoughts on the video game Sleeping Dogs? I made a thread for it in the General forum.

Last edited:

What the heck !

That some creepy looking doll...uh I meant action figure :lol:

On a different subject can you drop your 2 cents and thoughts on the video game Sleeping Dogs? I made a thread for it in the General forum.

I won it at the basketball carnival game thing at the Santa Monica Pier earlier in the summer. Just been sitting around so I figured I slap Dwight's face on it.

Yeah I'll post in the sleeping Dogs thread though.

I just hope dudes doesnt miss that much time because of his back. i was ready to move on from this but It sounds like he really wants to be a Laker and he's embracing the history and he was killing any questions about the Nets. Lets Go!! :pimp:

Lakers cap space in 2014-2015 if Howard is on the second year of a max deal
$42-44 million depending on how much the cap raises in the next 2 years
Mitch :pimp:

Umm...

I want to see the details of this info where ever you read it from.

I'm hoping this isn't your crazy madness you came up with on NBA 2K12 :lol:

[quote name="thachosen123"]
There you go ska, its officially official :lol: :pimp:[/quote]Yep. :smokin

So now I can't wait. :smokin Kobe, Nash, Ron, Dwight, & Pau? Dissss... GUSTING! :x With some nice pieces coming off the bench in Jamison & Meeks (UK, baaybeeee!).

I'm just trying to convince myself this will be better long-term than the last time we had 4 STRONG players (GP, Kobe, Karl, & Shaq). Sure, we went to the Finals, but long-term? That was just a 1-year thing, & this has the same potential to be 1-and-out since Dwight is in his last year. Just hope we can convince him to be our next 'face'.

Last edited:
Also just saw where he said that he's going to keep his options open re: next summer, and will decide between us & the Mavs.

Honestly, I think that's the beginning of him playing w/ us the way he played the Magic. Like, this dude is not going to no damn Mavs... but he knows he can't say that.

He said he will keep options open.
A random source mentioned mavs, he never did.

Translation: I'm saying this because me and my agent are making sure we are getting paid with a MAX contract through free agency.

Which can only be done with his current team: The Lakers.

He's not going anywhere after this season !!!!

^ While I hope you're right, I'm not stressing about whether or not your right. We don't know what the future holds, but we know he's here now, so I'm excited about that. :smile:

Mitch actually expects him to be ready for training camp. I don't want him to rush back. Pau-Jamison-Hill should be able to hold down the fort adequately until he's 100%. Has there been a better offseason in our history sans 1996? Beginning a new era...oh and Durant is coming in 2016 :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :lol:

Last edited:
^ While I hope you're right, I'm not stressing about whether or not your right. We don't know what the future holds, but we know he's here now, so I'm excited about that. :smile:

I see why your being pessimistic yet again.

I think your going to never truly be a Dwight fan like how you are with Kobe for his whole career but still love the Lakers. Which is all cool.

And it's probably because your whole view on Dwight is just permanently flawed after how he handled the whole situation leading up to getting out of Orlando. You aren't the only person on here and in other forums who feel that way about him.

I just can't see Dwight leaving an extra $30 million on the table not including all of his endorsement deal perks he will get because he's now in LA & Hollywood.

Also he know's and is probably being advised by his agent & inner circle that he needs to rehab & repair his image.The fastest way of doing that is by winning championships and putting up the big stat's.

Last edited:
No, make no mistake: I'm a Dwight fan. How he has handled this whole thing has knocked him down a few pegs, but I'm still a fan of the guy, and I'm exited as hell to see him get out there after this injury.

With Kobe, I've just never been a fan, not since day 1. :lol: :\ With Dwight, I was already a fan before we got him; just have a concern about all this drama being bestowed upon us one day.

Craziest off-season for the Lakers. Grab K-Mart and call it an off-season. Can't wait until the season starts.

BUT damn...this dude Dwight looks like he lost some weight.

KUDOS MITCH,KUDOS....

Looking forward to media day with this squad...MY GAWD.

Last edited:
Umm...
I want to see the details of this info where ever you read it from.
I'm hoping this isn't your crazy madness you came up with on NBA 2K12 :lol:

2014-2015...

Only people on contract would be Nash & Howard. $9.7mil for Nash. Howard would be in the 2nd Year of a 5 year deal around $18.8.

Total is $28.5.

Current cap is $60. $41.5mil in a cap. By 2014-2015 it could be $62-63mil = $43.5-45.5mil in cap space.

And I never do anything on 2K. I read heavily, and go based on reading it from multiple perspectives.

Wow, Dwight def lost a bunch of muscle weight. Can't blame him tho, he had surgery on his back, it's not like he can go lift weights. He will be rusty tho, hopefully your boy gets healthy ASAP.

I think we need or want Kenyon Martin (Depending on your point of view).. Primarily that first 5-6 weeks that Dwight is out..

Having Martin & Jamison split PF minutes, and Pau playing 34minutes, Hill at 14. Will make sure we don't over work Pau early. I think that may be why Mitch is pursuing him as well.

Then keep KMart around 15mpg the rest of the season when Dwight comes back.

Then around January we have $5.6mil in expiring contracts between KMart, Ebanks, Goudelock, Clark & Morris.. Could find a VERY good bench player in a trade if things are not going well..

Back
Top Bottom