Mitchell Report Press conference at 2; Clemens to be named

can u u guys imnagine if other sports start investigating?
eek.gif
that's like 95% of the NFL
eek.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I just saw that Jason Giambi was the only Yankee that agreed to cooperate with the Mitchell investigation, agreeing to be interviewed and what not.

Snitch?

laugh.gif

Remember they basically made him do it during the season? They were going to suspend him if he did not cooperate

nook logan has mind boggling been named. he's the skinniest player in baseball! probably the most surprising person on the list imo.

Nook Logan is an outfielder who has played in Major League Baseball since 2004 for the Detroit Tigers and Washington Nationals.

Rondell White, a Tigers teammate, referred Logan to Radomski. Radomski stated that he sold Logan one kit of human growth hormone just before federal agents searched Radomski's house in December 2005. Radomski mailed the package to Logan, who paid by money order. Radomski recalled having between six and eight conversations with Logan about the use of performance enhancing substances. In the course of one of these conversations, Logan confirmed that he had received the shipment from Radomski. Radomski still had Logan's phone number in his cell phone directory at the time of his final interview with me and provided me with the phone number.

In order to give Logan the opportunity to respond to these allegations, I asked him
to meet with me; he declined.

wD3QSmmC.jpg

usually when you do a google image of a player that has been named, pictures come up of a dude hitting a homer but nook's specialty was bunting.

i guess he used it to advance his already blinding speed
eek.gif

Originally Posted by hugebird

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

This is a crock of %@@$ just as I knew it would be.
laugh.gif

I +$+*%!% knew it.

The general public has been had once again!
Why, because of the obscure names?

If anybody expected some kind of star-studded list, or anything more than just a list, you shouldn't have.

this was a sham, a cover their%%%% move.

this was to merely get the congressional heat off the back of their necks.

U think this was a thorough investigation?
a VOLUNTARY INVESTIGATION?
laugh.gif

where people could simply say, Nah No Questions for me.
laugh.gif
ha

You can fool some of the people all of the time .... Not me bruh.

smh.gif
sick.gif
Disgusting.

Exactly

I have been reading the report as this has been going along, and you could give me a van, a laptop w/ wireless internet (Must have a functioning Google search), and I would go around the country asking questions outside of stadiums as the players leave, and it would be as thorough. This is a farce, and someone really needs to call them on this.

You guys are really missing the point.
The main obstacle in developing a fool-proof drug-testing program is the Players Association. Regardless ofwhat the OWNERS and COMMISSIONERS do or even think about doing, nothing will happen unless it's approved by both parties. And if there is no outstandingproof, there really isn't a reason or motivating factor to change.

THE REPORT CHANGES THAT.

The Players Union can't just say, "well, there's no reason for us to agree to anything like that" anymore, since before there was onlyspeculation and several players coming forward after the fact (and obviously after their careers are over).
This can be beneficial even though it's not the report that is a one-button, fix-a-problem solution. This is part of a process that will take years tocomplete. Try not to be short sighted in regards to this report/investigation.

Eh, it's Baseball...America's pasttime...and cheating is as American as Apple Pie...getting caught for it? Not American.

All I have to say it was a waste of money and time. I'm probably in the minority but I really could care less if players take steroids or not I'drather see them juice up and just play then see all this coverage about the Mitchell report and Selig everytime they talk about baseball.

I agree with hugebird (sort of). I wont say that the investigation was a farce but it was done just to get Congress off the back of MLB. The real question ishow is Selig going to respond?

I am sure he will say he is deeply saddened by these findings however nothing will be done. I don't believe baseball is actually willing to do strictertesting and ban first time offenders. They will act as though this report is a great accomplishment and continue to slap players on the wrist.

The problem is we need a new comissioner who is unbiased and does not look out for the interests of the owners.

Mo Vaughn damn child hood icon im pretty disapointed what page of this thread is the entire offical list on

The main obstacle in developing a fool-proof drug-testing program is the Players Association. Regardless of what the OWNERS and COMMISSIONERS do or even think about doing, nothing will happen unless it's approved by both parties. And if there is no outstanding proof, there really isn't a reason or motivating factor to change.

THE REPORT CHANGES THAT.
Yeah, what people are missing (and I don't blame them; this thing is 409 pages long in Adobe) is that there's more to this report thanjust naming names. Until that information gets simplified and regurgitated, people are going to look at this as a failure.

Are you serious?

People saying that the list is a "letdown" seem to miss the whole point of the report.

If anything, we should all be saying, "it's as bad as we thought", because frankly, it is.

Those are just the people they had some sort of evidence on.

How many people do you think drink and drive vs. actually get assessed with DUI's?

i guess i came across wrong in the way that i said that. i know how huge this report is for baseball (in fact, i dont ever recall saying it wasnt...). i knownot everybody that is using steroids is gonna be outed. i was just referring to the whole "there are gonna be a lot of big names on the list" hypesurrounding the report. there were what, four or so big names on that list?
i think this could be huge for baseball though. it all just depends on how selig and the mlbpa perceive it. hopefully they start doing something about thetesting, and everything else that mitchell suggested and reported.

Last question he got was about the conflict of interest given that he's a director for the bosox. I'm sure no one on this board believe what he said though. Good question though, I am glad it was asked and addressed.
I didn't see the whole thing, what was his answer to it.

If you think the Players Association of the Owners will be motivated by this reporting you have to be kidding yourself. I will believe the motivation when Isee it. Baseball has not shown any real effort to clean up the sport....when I see or hear about action I will then get excited about a change.

The main obstacle in developing a fool-proof drug-testing program is the Players Association. Regardless of what the OWNERS and COMMISSIONERS do or even think about doing, nothing will happen unless it's approved by both parties. And if there is no outstanding proof, there really isn't a reason or motivating factor to change.

THE REPORT CHANGES THAT.
Yeah, what people are missing (and I don't blame them; this thing is 409 pages long in Adobe) is that there's more to this report than just naming names.
Until that information gets simplified and regurgitated, people are going to look at this as a failure.

i mean all this really is is testimony, no? i mean i havent read the whole report and im not about to either lol. what can happen next?

Bas, I totally understand that side of things, but my point is really, why even go public with some names when it's obviously such a small scale. Idon't get why you are even subjecting these players to the media's scrutiny when, admittedly, there are so many more offenders. I feel like if theywanted this as leverage against the MLBPA to bring about more stringent testing policies, then they could have kept it for when the Union met and presented theinformation then, without necessarily leaking names to the media. To me it's a lot of posturing, and putting these names out is pretty worthless.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

THE REPORT CHANGES THAT.
Yeah, what people are missing (and I don't blame them; this thing is 409 pages long in Adobe) is that there's more to this report than just naming names. Until that information gets simplified and regurgitated, people are going to look at this as a failure.

People are in here like, "oh, I knew THAT guy was on steroids..." as if they had proof. The report has actual proof. There is no need forspeculation. There is no, "just look at the guy". They have people putting their reputations on the line to rat people out. I mean, that's asignificant step taking someone from "alleged" to "proven".
Just look at some of the players people are surprised about. Nook Logan doesn't seem like a person that would be implicated because of his size? The main benefit to taking performance enhancing drugs is your ability to recover quickly, not just bulk up. That's why Greenies were so fought over bythe Players Association when the drug testing policy was being put in place. They were used for decades as a bounce-back crutch.

My favorite excerpt: "Radomski said that he did not sell Vaughn steroids because Vaughn was 'afraid of the big needles'".
but my point is really, why even go public with some names when it's obviously such a small scale. I don't get why you are even subjecting these players to the media's scrutiny when, admittedly, there are so many more offenders. I feel like if they wanted this as leverage against the MLBPA to bring about more stringent testing policies, then they could have kept it for when the Union met and presented the information then, without necessarily leaking names to the media. To me it's a lot of posturing, and putting these names out is pretty worthless.
You have to start somewhere, right? Sure it was to save face for the time being, but there has to be a beginning point.

Well this was definitely a buzz kill... i expected to see some bigger names.

the names releases were only those that either their careers were done or winding down. point being, bud selig wanted to save face... which is why youll neversee a pujols or arod on this list

Originally Posted by hugebird

Bas, I totally understand that side of things, but my point is really, why even go public with some names when it's obviously such a small scale. I don't get why you are even subjecting these players to the media's scrutiny when, admittedly, there are so many more offenders. I feel like if they wanted this as leverage against the MLBPA to bring about more stringent testing policies, then they could have kept it for when the Union met and presented the information then, without necessarily leaking names to the media. To me it's a lot of posturing, and putting these names out is pretty worthless.

Public opinion typically sympathizes with The Union. That's true across the board, whether we're talking about sports or any otherindustry.
Putting the names out there servers a very specific function, and it's to sway public opinion when the drug-testing "pushing" comesto shove.

I would have urged that the names be released as well. It's definitely for show, I agree. But it's serving a fucntion as well.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Last question he got was about the conflict of interest given that he's a director for the bosox. I'm sure no one on this board believe what he said though. Good question though, I am glad it was asked and addressed.
I didn't see the whole thing, what was his answer to it.

I mean nothing that crazy...he just said this report was not intended to focus on any specific player or team. That many of the players named had playedfor numerous teams, some of which included the red sox. He stressed that he asked researchers/investigators for the truth, nothing more and nothing less.

Again, that's still a pretty big conflict of interest. I wish they got someone more neutral to conduct this investigation. However, I do not agree withpeople saying that Manny and Ortiz belong on that list, otherwise the list is bunk. That's ridiculous to assume. But I do agree that someone in a moreneutral role should have conducted it.

pujols needs to give the commish a nice big gift basket this year for keeping his name out of the report
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom