Local NYC board backs plan to build mosque near Ground Zero

http://news.yahoo.com/s/a..._ot/us_mosque_fact_check

A New York imam and his proposed mosque near ground zero are being demonized by political candidates — mostly Republicans — despite the fact that Islam is already very much a part of the World Trade Center neighborhood. And that Muslims pray inside the Pentagon, too, less than 80 feet from where terrorists attacked.
And that the imam who's being branded an extremist has been valued by both Republican and Democratic administrations as a moderate face of the faith.
A look at some of the claims and how they compare with the known facts:
_"The folks who want to build this mosque — who are really radical Islamists who want to triumphally prove that they can build a mosque right next to a place where 3,000 Americans were killed by radical Islamists — those folks don't have any interest in reaching out to the community. They're trying to make a case about supremacy." — Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a potential 2012 presidential candidate.

_Some of the Muslim leaders associated with the mosque "are clearly terrorist sympathizers." — Kevin Calvey, a Republican running for Congress in Oklahoma.

_"This radical is a terrible choice to be one of the faces of our country overseas." — Statement by GOP Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida and Peter King of New York.

THE FACTS:

No one has established a link between the cleric and radicals. New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said: "We've identified no law enforcement issues related to the proposed mosque."

Ros-Lehtinen and King were referring to the State Department's plan, predating the mosque debate, to send Rauf on another religious outreach trip to the Middle East as part of his "long-term relationship" with U.S. officials in the Bush and Obama administrations. The State Department said Wednesday it will pay him $3,000 for a trip costing the government $16,000.

Rauf counts former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright from the Clinton administration as a friend and appeared at events overseas or meetings in Washington with former President George W. Bush's secretary of state, Condoleezza Rice, and Bush adviser Karen Hughes.

He has denounced the terrorist attacks and suicide bombing as anti-Islamic and has criticized Muslim nationalism. But he's made provocative statements about America, too, calling it an "accessory" to the 9/11 attacks and attributing the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children to the U.S.-led sanctions in the years before the invasion.

In a July 2005 speech at the Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Center in Adelaide, Australia, Rauf said, according to the center's transcript:

"We tend to forget, in the West, that the United States has more Muslim blood on its hands than al-Qaida has on its hands of innocent non-Muslims."

While calling terrorism unjustified, he said the U.S. has supported authoritarian regimes with heinous human rights records and, faced with that, "how else do people get attention?"

In the same address, he spoke of prospects for peace between Palestinians and the Israelis — who he said "have moved beyond Zionism" — and of a love-your-neighbor ethic uniting all religions.

___

_"Mr. President, ground zero is the wrong place for a mosque." — Rick Scott, Republican candidate for Florida governor.

_"Nazis don't have the right to put up a sign next to the Holocaust Museum in Washington. We would never accept the Japanese putting up a site next to Pearl Harbor. There's no reason for us to accept a mosque next to the World Trade Center." — Gingrich.

_"Just a block or two away from 9/11." — Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, another 2012 GOP presidential prospect.

THE FACTS:

No mosque is going up at ground zero. The center would be established at 45-51 Park Place, just over two blocks from the northern edge of the sprawling, 16-acre World Trade Center site. Its location is roughly half a dozen normal Lower Manhattan blocks from the site of the North Tower, the nearest of the two destroyed in the attacks.

The center's location, in a former Burlington Coat Factory store, is already used by the cleric for worship, drawing a spillover from the imam's former main place for prayers, the al-Farah mosque. That mosque, at 245 West Broadway, is about a dozen blocks north of the World Trade Center grounds.

Another, the Manhattan Mosque, stands five blocks from the northeast corner of the World Trade Center site.

To be sure, the center's association with 9/11 is intentional and its location is no geographic coincidence. The building was damaged in the Sept. 11 attacks and the center's planners say they want the center to stand as a statement against terrorism.

___

_"There should be no mosque near ground zero in New York so long as there are no churches or synagogues in Saudi Arabia. ... America is experiencing an Islamist cultural-political offensive designed to undermine and destroy our civilization." — Gingrich.

_"This religion's plan is to destroy our way of life. ... If we have to let them build it, make them build it nine stories underground, so we can walk above it as citizens and Christians." — Ron McNeil, a House GOP candidate in the Florida Panhandle, in an exchange reported by The News Herald in Panama City.

THE FACTS:

Such opinions are shared by some Americans, while others are more reluctant to paint the religion with a broad brush and more welcoming of the faith in this country. Bush himself, while criticized at the time for stirring suspicions about American Muslims, traveled to a Washington mosque less than a week after the attacks to declare that terrorism is "not what Islam is all about. Islam is peace."

In any event, the U.S. armed forces field Muslim troops and make accommodations for them. The Pentagon opened an interfaith chapel in November 2002 close to the area where hijacked American Airlines flight 77 slammed into the building, killing 184 people.

Muslims gather there for a daily prayer service Monday through Thursday and hold a weekly worship service on Fridays, drawing no complaints. Similar but separate services are provided for other faiths.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

margulies.jpg
really think this needs to be brought to attention to those who missed it.

this is the real issue

Originally Posted by pull a Fredo

Who's saying that Islam is the only intolerant religion? As a conservative myself, I completely condemn what Bryan Fischer has said in that article. He sounds like a damn fool. But I think this is getting away from the primary issue of this thread. Is it right to have a mosque built so close to Ground Zero?

I say they can build there. But just because it's legally right, does it also make it morally right? I think it's insensitive to have it built there.

Would it be chill to build a "Serbian Orthodox church near the killing fields of Srebrenica where 8,000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered?" (taken from another board - not a right-wing one!).

But what about those who are Muslim who died in 9/11 either because they worked in the WTC or because they were trying to rescue others... Is that not insensitive to them either?

And here's another scenario should we put a Catholic Church near an all boys school?

Or a church near any abortion clinic because fundamentalists have bombed abortion clinics and killed abortion doctors..

And your location thing is a little disengenious because in America we have freedom of religion.. Therefore if we discriminate and stop anyone from practicing their religion.. We basically just decided freedom of religion is a bad idea so.... We should we then have the right to tell Christians and Catholics and Jewish people where and when they can practice

The insensitivity is the fact that we are giving away the principle freedoms of this country for the reason of fear... They attacked this country and instead of standing tall we stood hiding behind the door... "Those who would trade in their freedom for their protection deserve neither."

And it is a community center that just happens to have a prayer space in the top 2 floors for Muslims... And George Bush even appointed the imam as a person who can bridge the gap created by 9/11.

There is a mosque 4 blocks away.. And one 12 blocks away from ground zero...  So 2 blocks is insensitive.. But 4 blocks isn't?

[table][tr][td]The Daily Show With Jon Stewart[/td][td]Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c[/td][/tr][tr][td]Municipal Land-Use Hearing Updatehttp://[/td][/tr][tr][td]www.thedailyshow.com[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td][table][tr][td]Daily Show Full Episodes[/td][td]Political Humor[/td][td]Tea Party[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]
and by being outraged by something so simple as freedom of religion... A basic fundamental right, we have given the terrorists ammo to prove their point.. They attacked us for 1 basic reason to show the great U.S. is not the land of the free, they are hypocrites, and they are no better than "we (terrorists)" are...

And look at what we did....

Our actions against our own principles is far more insensitive to those who passed in 9/11 than any mosque ever could be.

The partisan politics is nauseating and proves once again that this is just all a game. The article above has to state that most opponents are Republicans and the most vocal ones hold no office, but high ranking Democrats have opposed it as well and fails to mention their quotes. Nancy Pelosi stated today that she wants people who fund the groups to be "investigated and probed", so the First Amendment only applies if you are in align with her opinion?

On the other hand, you have these Conservatives who supposedly champion the Constitution and then want to deny a place of worship and want it moved because it's close to GZ. So I guess the Constitution is only viable if Conservatives deem its approval. Then they will say "Why so close?", what kind of question is that? How many blocks would be appropriate? 5, 10, 20? Makes no sense.

I also have other issues. 1. Nobody seems to be talking about how this Imam is an advocate for Sharia Law, so there will be no gays going into this place. 2. Just because you disagree with the Mosque being there, you are automatically a Islamophobe and hate Muslims. So you can't disagree with people without being called a racist or a homophobe.

The Constitutional arguments between these two parties are oh so comical. One party wants an American Empire with a constant war under the guise of "Democracy", wants to rape you of you privacy and Individual rights, expanded Executive power, and advocating a complete Warfare-Welfare State. The other party wants the latter, but in a different way. The other party are Social Darwinists who through their theory want to eradicate Individual rights and separate people into groups and classes, thus the constant thrown Race and Gay cards to justify their fight for hyphenated rights. The other party takes a Marxist approach to a Socio-economic order through a cry for exploitation and alienation. Both of which doo doo on the Constitution, oppressively high taxation, coercing citizens into public entitlement programs, taking private property without just compensation, send troops to war without a Declaration. This country has turned into a country ruled by men, not by law.

The partisan politics is nauseating and proves once again that this is just all a game. The article above has to state that most opponents are Republicans and the most vocal ones hold no office, but high ranking Democrats have opposed it as well and fails to mention their quotes. Nancy Pelosi stated today that she wants people who fund the groups to be "investigated and probed", so the First Amendment only applies if you are in align with her opinion?

On the other hand, you have these Conservatives who supposedly champion the Constitution and then want to deny a place of worship and want it moved because it's close to GZ. So I guess the Constitution is only viable if Conservatives deem its approval. Then they will say "Why so close?", what kind of question is that? How many blocks would be appropriate? 5, 10, 20? Makes no sense.

I also have other issues. 1. Nobody seems to be talking about how this Imam is an advocate for Sharia Law, so there will be no gays going into this place. 2. Just because you disagree with the Mosque being there, you are automatically a Islamophobe and hate Muslims. So you can't disagree with people without being called a racist or a homophobe.

The Constitutional arguments between these two parties are oh so comical. One party wants an American Empire with a constant war under the guise of "Democracy", wants to rape you of you privacy and Individual rights, expanded Executive power, and advocating a complete Warfare-Welfare State. The other party wants the latter, but in a different way. The other party are Social Darwinists who through their theory want to eradicate Individual rights and separate people into groups and classes, thus the constant thrown Race and Gay cards to justify their fight for hyphenated rights. The other party takes a Marxist approach to a Socio-economic order through a cry for exploitation and alienation. Both of which doo doo on the Constitution, oppressively high taxation, coercing citizens into public entitlement programs, taking private property without just compensation, send troops to war without a Declaration. This country has turned into a country ruled by men, not by law.

Originally Posted by rashi

I agree with most of the bolded text. 
He may be an advocate of Sharia law but that does not mean that homosexuals will automatically be banned from entering. To make a statement like that is a bit ridiculous. If you can find me a place where it says that they've already decided to not allow homosexuals into the center when it does open, show me. 

It isn't that everyone who opposes the building of the center is an Islamophobe or hates Muslims, but it would be naive to think that peoples prejudice toward Muslims has nothing to do with the public outcry against it being built.

Not addressing the rant at the end. Not the thread for that.

I actually thought about this a few weeks ago. What would the Construction, Steel, and Lumbers labor unions think? And now...

[h1]
[h1]They won't build it! Hardhats vow not to work on controversial mosque near Ground Zero[/h1]
BY Samuel Goldsmith
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Read more: [url=http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/20/2010-08-20_we_wont_build_it_hardhats_say_no_way_they_will_work_on_wtc_mosque.html#ixzz0x9VGL1Uw]http://www.nydailynews.co...osque.html#ixzz0x9VGL1Uw[/url]

A growing number of New York construction workers are vowing not to work on the mosque planned near Ground Zero.

"It's a very touchy thing because they want to do this on sacred ground," said Dave Kaiser, 38, a blaster who is working to rebuild the World Trade Center site.

"I wouldn't work there, especially after I found out about what the imam said about U.S. policy being responsible for 9/11," Kaiser said.

The grass-roots movement is gaining momentum on the Internet. One construction worker created the "Hard Hat Pledge" on his blog and asked others to vow not to work on the project if it stays on Park Place.

"Thousands of people are signing up from all over the country," said creator Andy Sullivan, a construction worker from Brooklyn. "People who sell glass, steel, lumber, insurance. They are all refusing to do work if they build there."

"Hopefully, this will be a tool to get them to move it," he said. "I got a problem with this ostentatious building looming over Ground Zero."

A planned 13-story community center and mosque two blocks from Ground Zero, Park51 has exploded into a national debate.

Louis Coletti, president of the Building Trades Employers' Association, said unions have not yet taken a "formal position" on Park51, but he understands why members would be hesitant to work there.

"It's a very difficult dilemma for the contractors and the organized labor force because we are experiencing such high levels of unemployment," he said. "Yet at the same time, this is a very sacred sight to the union guys."

"There were construction workers killed on 9/11 and many more who got horribly sick cleaning up Ground Zero," Coletti said. "It's very emotional."

L.V. Spina, a Manhattan construction worker who created anti-mosque stickers that some workers are slapping on their hardhats, said he would "rather pick cans and bottles out of trash cans" than build the Islamic center near Ground Zero.

"But if they moved it somewhere else, we would put up a prime building for these people," he said. "Hell, you could do it next to my house in Rockaway Beach, I would be fine with it. But I'm not fine with it where blood has been spilled."

Spina, who sells 9/11 apparel on his website, said he's printed thousands of stickers and plans to produce thousands more.

"They're going all over the country," he said. "They got pretty popular fast."

Popularity aside, there are some construction workers choosing not to set themselves against the project.

"Hundreds of guys here are wearing stickers as a sign of protest, but I'm on the fence about it," said Frank Langan, 50, a site superintendent from Queens working at Ground Zero.

"It's a tough debate," he said. "I sympathize with workers' position, but at the same time, you can't single out all Muslims because of a small number of terrorists."

Read more: [url=http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/20/2010-08-20_we_wont_build_it_hardhats_say_no_way_they_will_work_on_wtc_mosque.html#ixzz0x9VMYNhS]http://www.nydailynews.co...osque.html#ixzz0x9VMYNhS[/url]
[/h1]

seems to me...if you believe all Muslim = Murderers then you're definitely against this.

Are there elements of radicalism in Islam?...sure.
Are there elements of radicalism in Christianity?... of course.

but Anti-Islam is the new Yellow Peril... we've learned nothing.

something about the construction workers stance on the issue and yet making money off 9/11 rubs me the wrong way
laugh.gif
grin.gif

if you are not going to work on it 2 blocks away why work it 40 blocks away. its owned by the same "terrorists" no?
eyes.gif

I laugh at that though...like NYC construction doesn't have non-union workers who would gladly do the job.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I laugh at that though...like NYC construction doesn't have non-union workers who would gladly do the job.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm not familiar with NYC. Do the Construction workers in NYC have to belong to a Union? The reason why I ask is because my father worked as a mechanic for American Airlines at LaGuardia and they had to belong to a Union by law I think.

To build the Mosque without Union workers would actually be cheaper for them to build it, trhey should look into that.

Here's what I comes down to... In this economic climate... Money is money.... You throw enough money people's way they will build it without question...

And this sacred ground mess is ridiculous.... Sacred ground would be where it happened at... And even then Ground Zero is so sacred we have built a new building there already
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Essential1

Here's what I comes down to... In this economic climate... Money is money.... You throw enough money people's way they will build it without question...

And this sacred ground mess is ridiculous.... Sacred ground would be where it happened at... And even then Ground Zero is so sacred we have built a new building there already
grin.gif

Well, China owns most of the rights to a building. Also, they are Union workers, they get paid whether they do a job or not, they don't care.

This is my favorite writeup on the controversy I've read yet.

[h1]The Untold Story Behind the "Mosque at Ground Zero"[/h1]

Americans have a right to assemble and worship freelyin this country, period. It's not only a founding principle of thisnation, but a main justification for its founding. It is why many WhiteChristians flooded to this country in the first place.

Those opposed to American Muslims practicing their right to build areligious and cultural center on their private property near GroundZero and in concordance with all laws and regulations reluctantlyconcede that they have no legal grounds to challenge it. So they argueinstead that they should voluntarily forgo their right out ofsensitivity for the sacredness of that site.

2010-08-20-nomosquesign.jpg
This is a particularly disingenuous line.

If it is about sensitivity for the sacred, then why aren't thosesame people opposing the deli, bar, coffee shop, and offices, or stripclub for that matter, that are open for business in that same sacredvicinity?

What is particularly indecent or insensitive about American Muslimsbuilding a house of peace, community, and worship that doesn't apply tothe New York Dolls gentlemen's club?

Let's be blunt: it is only indecent and insensitive if you buy intothe canard that American Muslims are somehow collectively guilty for9/11. That is the coded message at the heart of opposition to thecenter. It is a message we reject on its face.

American Muslims bear no collective guilt or blame for the crime of9/11. We have nothing to apologize for and everything to be proud of,including our loyalty and hard-earned livelihoods. We are not guestcitizens, we are not second-rate citizens; we reject marginalizationand require no validation. We are equal citizens living and worshippingin our country.

We are part and parcel of the diversity of America including thediversity of the 3,000 people who died on 9/11. We are part of thediversity of the hundreds who were injured and those who were firstresponders to Ground Zero. We are part of the diversity of the millionswho grieved and still grieve. When "they" attacked "us," we wereattacked. We are part of the "us" not the "they."

The whole brouhaha about the "Mosque at Ground Zero" is franklybogus. It has little to do with sacred ground, or sensitive hearts. Itdoes however have everything to do with the exploitation of the sacredand the sensitive for the furtherance of the sacrilegious and theinsensitive: the phenomenon of Muslim-bashing that is ravaging ournation today.

The Cordoba House, now Park51, is an old story. In fact, it was reported on in the New York Times and other mainstream media as far back as two years ago. Why the frenzy now?

That's not all: Muslims have been worshipping at Mosque Manhattan afew blocks away from Ground Zero, long before Ground Zero was GroundZero; in fact, since 1970, before the twin towers were the twin towers.

So again, why the sudden frenzy?

Failure to ask "why" is a collective indictment of the media establishment (with a few notable exceptions).Just as the media shirked its responsibilities in questioning the Bushadministration on the justifications for the war in Iraq, now too itfails to properly investigate, scrutinize, and report the origins ofthis controversy. Here is what it failed to tell you:

2010-08-20-spencer_geller.png
The"GroundZero Mosque" fiasco is a fabricated controversy that traces its originsto a couple of long-time anti-Muslim goons from the annals of the hateblogosphere by the names of Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller as a flagship campaign of their newly founded organization, Stop the Islamization of America (SIOA). SIOA is part of an emerging phenomenon of astroturfanti-Muslim organizations that seek to project any public expression ofMuslim life in this country as tantamount to a stealth "Islamization ofAmerica." (Except it's not so stealth since everyone and their motheris talking about it).

It was SIOA that first coined the misnomer "Mosque at Ground Zero,"purposely twisting the reality that the proposed Muslim cultural centernear Ground Zero is neither a Mosque nor at Ground Zero. It was theSIOA that sought to redefine Imam Raufas a radical Imam even though he was heralded by the Bushadministration, the FBI and others as a moderate voice of reason. Itwas the SIOA and its partners that ruthlessly sought to stoke the fearsand suspicions of otherwise good, unsuspecting Americans.

The fact that bigots see fit to peddle sensational drivel for a living is not shocking.

The fact that the media is unwilling or incapable of calling it out is disturbing.

The fact that a significant segment of this population stands to be duped by it is disappointing.

And the fact that public officials who should know better are all too content pandering to the bigoted, misguided, and confused in search of votes this election season is outright nauseating.

Here's another underreported fact:

The battle raging on now is not one that pits Muslims on one sideand non-Muslims on the other as critics would have you believe. It isin fact a showdown between Americans of all backgrounds (Muslim andotherwise) who are fighting for the freedom and dignity of what itmeans to be American, on one side; and those who are willing to throwthose values under the bus in exchange for publicity, notoriety,ratings, or votes, on the other.

It is a struggle between those wishing to affirm our pluralism andour equality as color-blind, race-blind, and faith-blind citizens andthose wishing to immerse us into identity politics that make some moreequal than others.

The Park51 battle is a microcosm of this generation's struggle for the soul of America.

That's the untold "Mosque at Ground Zero" story any red-bloodedAmerican journalist who still has respect for the integrity of theprofession should be telling.

I'm all for the mosque, but someone brought up a point that I was thinking about. The mosque gets built and some radical person attacks the mosque (Switch around the scenario of 9/11) What happens then? I want the Mosque to be built, but I am hoping no one does anything stupid because of people practicing their religion.

I'm all for the mosque, but someone brought up a point that I was thinking about. The mosque gets built and some radical person attacks the mosque (Switch around the scenario of 9/11) What happens then? I want the Mosque to be built, but I am hoping no one does anything stupid because of people practicing their religion.

Rallies Over Mosque Near Ground Zero Get Heated

NEW YORK (Aug. 22) -- The proposed mosque near ground zero drew hundreds of fever-pitch demonstrators Sunday, with opponents carrying signs associating Islam with blood, supporters shouting, "Say no to racist fear!" and American flags waving on both sides.

The two leaders of the construction project, meanwhile, defended their plans, though one suggested that organizers might eventually be willing to discuss an alternative site. The other, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, said during a Middle East trip that the attention generated by the project is actually positive and that he hopes it will bring greater understanding.

Around the corner from the cordoned-off old building that is to become a 13-story Islamic community center and mosque, police separated the two groups of demonstrators. There were no reports of physical clashes but there were some nose-to-nose confrontations, including a man and a woman screaming at each other across a barricade under a steady rain.

1282512319451.JPEG
Aaron Cohen, left, an opponent of a proposed Muslim cultural center and mosque near the World Trade Center site, argues with a supporter of the proposed mosque at a rally in downtown Manhattan on Sunday.

Opponents of the $100 million project two blocks from the World Trade Center site appeared to outnumber supporters. Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" blared over loudspeakers as mosque opponents chanted, "No mosque, no way!"

Signs hoisted by dozens of protesters standing behind police barricades read "SHARIA" - using dripping, blood-red letters to describe Islam's Shariah law, which governs the behavior of Muslims.

Steve Ayling, a 40-year-old Brooklyn plumber who carried his sign to a dry spot by an office building, said the people behind the mosque project are "the same people who took down the twin towers."

Opponents demand that the mosque be moved farther from the site where nearly 3,000 people were killed on Sept. 11, 2001. "They should put it in the Middle East," Ayling said.

On a nearby sidewalk, police chased away a group that unfurled a banner with images of beating, stoning and other torture they said was committed by those who followed Islamic law.

A man wearing a keffiyeh, a traditional Arab headdress, mounted one of two mock missiles that were part of an anti-mosque installation. One missile was inscribed with the words: "Again? Freedom Targeted by Religion"; the other with "Obama: With a middle name Hussein. We understand. Bloomberg: What is your excuse?"

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has fiercely defended plans for the proposed mosque, saying that the right "to practice your religion was one of the real reasons America was founded."

The mosque project is being led by Rauf and his wife, Daisy Khan, who insist the center will promote moderate Islam. The dispute has sparked a national debate on religious freedom and American values and is becoming an issue on the campaign trail ahead of the midterm elections. Republicans have been critical of President Barack Obama's stance: He has said the Muslims have the right to build the center at the site but has not commented on whether he thinks they should.

Rauf is in the middle of a Mideast trip funded by the U.S. State Department that is intended to promote religious tolerance. He told a gathering Sunday at the U.S. ambassador's residence in the Persian Gulf state of Bahrain that he took heart from the dispute over the mosque, saying "the fact we are getting this kind of attention is a sign of success."

"It is my hope that people will understand more," Rauf said without elaborating.

Democratic New York Gov. David Paterson has suggested that state land farther from ground zero be used for the center. Khan, executive director of the American Society for Muslim Advancement, expressed some openness to that idea on ABC's "This Week with Christiane Amanpour," but said she would have to meet with the center's other "stakeholders" first.

"We want to build bridges," Khan said. "We don't want to create conflict, this is not where we were coming from. So, this is an opportunity for us to really turn this around and make this into something very, very positive. So we will meet, and we will do what is right for everyone."

But Khan also said the angry reaction to the project "is like a metastasized anti-Semitism."

"It's not even Islamophobia. It's beyond Islamophobia," she said. "It's hate of Muslims."

At the pro-mosque rally, staged a block away from opponents' demonstration, several hundred people chanted, "Muslims are welcome here! We say no to racist fear!"

Dr. Ali Akram, a 39-year-old Brooklyn physician, came with his three sons and an 11-year-old nephew waving an American flag. He noted that scores of Muslims were among those who died in the towers, and he called those who oppose the mosque "un-American."

"They teach their children about the freedom of religion in America - but they don't practice what they preach," Akram said.

John Green, who lost a friend in the attacks, said that although organizers have the right to build the project, "I think if they moved it, they would get the respect of more Americans than if they play hardball." He was demonstrating in the group of mosque opponents.

Gila Barzvi, whose son, Guy, was killed in the towers, stood with mosque opponents, clutching a large photo of her son with both hands.

"This is sacred ground and it's where my son was buried," the native Israeli from Queens said. She said the mosque would be "like a knife in our hearts."

She was joined by a close friend, Kobi Mor, who flew from San Francisco to participate in the rally.

If the mosque gets built, "we will bombard it," Mor said. He would not elaborate but added that he believes the project "will never happen."

Rauf, in an interview with Bahrain's Al Wasat newspaper, said America's sweeping constitutional rights are more in line with Islamic principles than the limits imposed by some Muslim nations.

"American Muslims have the right to practice their religion in accordance with the Constitution of the United States," Rauf said. "I see the article of independence as more compliant with the principles of Islam than what is available in many of the current Muslim countries."

tired.gif
   sickening..... It makes it worse... Now under no means, can this community center with a mosque in it be moved... We really can't allow the worst of this country to go after our freedoms being lead by bigotry... I'm sure there are some people who are not bigoted oppose the building.. But they are being lead by the hand of bigots.. This is playing exactly into the hands of terrorists.....   This is just as bad as all the "Death To Israel" talk that occurs...But worse because we know better and we have certain standards we set up for ourselves...

Back
Top Bottom