Leaked audio of Donald Sterling telling his girlfriend "Don't bring black people to my games"

Any white person that comes up to me and tries to tell me anything, I'ma say two words: Donald Sterling.
Fight racism with racism. 
eyes.gif

Thumbs down feature would be nice mods. 

Last edited:

To an extent Jennings is right...

In the context that Sterling was mouthing off it was beyond inappropriate and very incorrigible in speech. But people do walk around calling each other the "N" word, even though obviously the context is not quite the same and I'm half black myself saying it...

I feel than Jennings probably feels desensitized to it since the racism and words surrounding it have been thrown around for at least over a century. I don't condone racism, but I think I understand his nonchalant viewpoint on it.

How long until a rapper says: i hate all you n*****, Donald Sterling

I'm in agreement. I think the whole league should have boycotted...not just the Clippers. I think CP3 should have got on the phone with Bron, Steph, John Wall, KD, Zach, EVERY team still playing and said let's take a stand.

A lot of y'all keep talking about why would the Clippers give up chasing a championship...and I agree. But what if there was no championship to chase? You can bet your *** if this thing started costing EVERYONE money that the NBA would act faster. Us as fans would be effected and all the franchises would be effected.

There's strength in numbers.

Ding ding, but at the end of the day it's up to the Clippers to make a move. **** calling on the phone, take action and make a statement. Give these other men a reason to stand by you, and let's see if that **** don't shake **** up and make a difference. As many have stated Sterling ain't the only one, but those with that mindset should be the ones living in fear to expose their true views, not those under them afraid to do something about it. This is why this **** is big

The sad thing about all of this is there's nothing that can be done. The league can pressure him but he doesn't have to sell his team.

The players won't take a stand because no matter how much of a scumbag the guy is, they won't risk messing up their million dollar salaries.

Steven A. is right, the only way to hurt this guy is to no longer allow him to profit from the franchise. Don't come to games and don't wear the apparel.

They probably can't force him to step away from the team, but they can suspend him.

That's cause the players union acted as a whole, not one team
And if the clippers take a stand, the union can't back them on a issue which isn't paper? There's obviously consequences, just as there could've been when they went on strike.

The union cannot back players on matters that are breaches of a signed contract

Clippers players would send a powerful message to Sterling by boycotting a game. Such a maneuver, however, would be in direct violation of their employment contracts. The players would be suspended by the NBA and potentially face significant fines, especially since the NBA would have to refund money to those fans buying tickets. It is worth noting, however, that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act prohibits employers from fining individuals for opposing discrimination. NBA contracts can also not "contract around" civil rights protections, meaning NBA players who boycott games over an owners' racism may be protected under the law.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nb...ng-la-clippers-adam-silver-nba/#ixzz306uTb3Hi

See what the NBA's response is. If the response/punishment is not appropriate, then stop supporting the NBA. Stop watching the games, stop buying tickets and jerseys.

That's if people actually wanted to do something.
I'm in agreement. I think the whole league should have boycotted...not just the Clippers. I think CP3 should have got on the phone with Bron, Steph, John Wall, KD, Zach, EVERY team still playing and said let's take a stand.

A lot of y'all keep talking about why would the Clippers give up chasing a championship...and I agree. But what if there was no championship to chase? You can bet your *** if this thing started costing EVERYONE money that the NBA would act faster. Us as fans would be effected and all the franchises would be effected.

There's strength in numbers.
I completely agree with your sentiment. However, this isn't the 60's and these players are too scared to actually take a stand and risk their livelihood for equality. It's sad. Tweets and statements are cool, but those tweets arent' affecting the bottom line, and if they were strong enough, they can move the line. My whole thing has been, as a player, how are you NOT aware of Donald Sterling's track record. It has always bothered me. I know there have been some players who vowed to never play for the Clippers because of his practices. I know players want to play but some needed to do their homework a little to find this out about him. Baron Davis' comments were just....
mean.gif

Legally they can't due to their contracts
The whole league came to a halt when they wanted more paper.

and technically it was the owners who locked the players out....

definitely a big assumption there and while i don't actually think this is true, but in practice, how many of those that are white and truly WEALTHY associate/interact with diverse social groups? it would not be surprising if many wealth folk held similar views just because of the bubble they tend to live in...

You would be surprised. Most rich white people who started from the bottom (ugh..) are some of the most forward thinking people around that are constantly involved in all aspects the community.  The ones who come from generations of wealth, I could see them living in a bubble.

yea, i don't deny that there are people that have money that give back to their community but even with them it is hard for me to imagine them really hanging out & socializing with a varied group of people in their actual lives on real level and not on some formal level...isn't jordan the only black majority owner? i think the warriors may have a southeast asian/indian in their ownership?

I think we should see what action Adam Silver takes before any boycotts of the sort happen. 

Remember, this is Silver's first big test. This decision will paint a picture of what kind of Comish he is, and is going to be. I'm hoping he does the right thing. 

Last edited:
Did you even read through that quote? And regardless, the players make the NBA. The backlash from fining the whole league for protesting isn't something that would be worth following through.

In the context that Sterling was mouthing off it was beyond inappropriate and very incorrigible in speech. But people do walk around calling each other the "N" word, even though obviously the context is not quite the same and I'm half black myself saying it...

I feel than Jennings probably feels desensitized to it since the racism and words surrounding it have been thrown around for at least over a century. I don't condone racism, but I think I understand his nonchalant viewpoint on it.
Jennings is displating JUST the type of thinking that keeps us at the bottom fiending for scraps

lolpistons.gif

I think we should see what action Adam Silver takes before any boycotts of the sort happen. 

Remember, this is Silver's first big test. This decision will paint a picture of what kind of Comish he is, and is going to be. I'm hoping he does the right thing. 
He can't force him out regardless, the players of the NBA hold more power than him in this case.

And if the clippers take a stand, the union can't back them on a issue which isn't paper? There's obviously consequences, just as there could've been when they went on strike.

Clippers players would send a powerful message to Sterling by boycotting a game. Such a maneuver, however, would be in direct violation of their employment contracts. The players would be suspended by the NBA and potentially face significant fines, especially since the NBA would have to refund money to those fans buying tickets. It is worth noting, however, that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act prohibits employers from fining individuals for opposing discrimination. NBA contracts can also not "contract around" civil rights protections, meaning NBA players who boycott games over an owners' racism may be protected under the law.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nb...ng-la-clippers-adam-silver-nba/#ixzz306uTb3Hi

The NBA wouldn't give the Clippers players any more than a slap on the wrist(harsh language or small fines at the most) for sitting out games because that would be another PR disaster.

Dear Brandon Jennings, 

If you cannot properly elaborate your thought, please shut up. Thank you.

He should have kept his mouth shut. Twitter isn't the place for deep conversation. He had makings of a valid point, but he done goof'd.

Brandon Jennings is a moron. Not only do I think he's a poor basketball player with a low basketball IQ, it looks like it also matches his overall IQ.

Jennings(37%) + Greg Monroe(50%) + Andre Drummond(60%) = I'm shooting

Last edited:
The only feasible resolution would be Sterling paying a big fine, banned from Clippers games, host a fan appreciation night where he buys EVERY black person in attendance tickets

Did you even read through that quote? And regardless, the players make the NBA. The backlash from fining the whole league for protesting isn't something that would be worth following through.

I did, it said that players couldn't be fined under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. They can be suspended, possibly without pay.

Not saying this is the right way to look at this situation but. Take a player who is making the league minimum playing for another team you think they are going to want to give up that check to prove a point about something that had nothing to do with them? Sady money is being valued more than human dignity/respect.

Back
Top Bottom