Leaked audio of Donald Sterling telling his girlfriend "Don't bring black people to my games"

When did Michael Jordan, as a player, not stand up when he should have? People always say that he never did this/that, but what chances did he pass up in which he could have done something?

well, technically the criticism of jordan was that he didn't make his opinion or political views known...he was something of a blank slate; there's his famous quote that, to paraphrase, republicans buy shoes too. or when, around the 1st peak of jordan sigs, he was asked about the violence surrounding people acquiring his shoes he was not vocal about it. it was more that to be as prominent of a black athlete that he was he didn't really stand for anything, he was outside of the tradition of the bill russells & jim browns, (at least publicly) and to some extent that made him the ultimate pitchman...

Another thing...someone needs to ask the NAACP why they honored Sterling as the '09 Man of the year and also why he was up for an award this year? I think all of us know the answer. DONATIONS. SMH.

well, technically the criticism of jordan was that he didn't make his opinion or political views known...he was something of a blank slate; there's his famous quote that, to paraphrase, republicans buy shoes too. or when, around the 1st peak of jordan sigs, he was asked about the violence surrounding people acquiring his shoes he was not vocal about it. it was more that to be as prominent of a black athlete that he was he didn't really stand for anything, he was outside of the tradition of the bill russells & jim browns, (at least publicly) and to some extent that made him the ultimate pitchman...
Again I ask, when was there a situation in which Jordan should have spoken up and he didn't.

I am asking this because someone said, "Oh now he says something but if he was a player he wouldn't have said anything." What are we basing that on? When was there a SPECIFIC situation in which he sat back and didn't do anything

Another thing...someone needs to ask the NAACP why they honored Sterling as the '09 Man of the year and also why he was up for an award this year? I think all of us know the answer. DONATIONS. SMH.

$$$$$

So your guys logic: players shouldn't boycott because it won't change much, and they should be all about $$$.

Being all about the $$$ is EXACTLY why nothing has been done in 30+ years of documented racism from Sterling.

Don't forget that the NAACP is a white funded and ran organization. Always is. Always has been. Even still, I don't know why he was ever scheduled to get any award

word

$$$$

When did Michael Jordan, as a player, not stand up when he should have? People always say that he never did this/that, but what chances did he pass up in which he could have done something?

But MJ hates ninjas too. I'm confused

So your guys logic: players shouldn't boycott because it won't change much, and they should be all about $$$.
Dog, it's a difference when you tapping and dancing for millions and a trophy (NT Logic)

EDIT: Sad thing is this forum for once represents this countries thought process as a whole right now

Last edited:
At what point do we stop harping on what Sterling has done for 30+ years and focus on how to hold him accountable for what he did recently?

Like....we get it already. He's been a racist. Annnnnnnd? Is that worth mentioning 4726485 times?

What do we do about it right now?

Some of y'all are worried about the wrong ****.

Again I ask, when was there a situation in which Jordan should have spoken up and he didn't.

I am asking this because someone said, "Oh now he says something but if he was a player he wouldn't have said anything." What are we basing that on? When was there a SPECIFIC situation in which he sat back and didn't do anything

The guy already gave the answer to your question. Have a seat.

This reminds me of that stand-up segment from Katt Williams where he said Jerry Seinfeld said the n-word around the right black people [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

At what point do we stop harping on what Sterling has done for 30+ years and focus on how to hold him accountable for what he did recently?

Like....we get it already. He's been a racist. Annnnnnnd? Is that worth mentioning 4726485 times?

I agree, between this guy and the rancher just more of the divide and conquer the media loves to spew. Forget talking it's time for action.

Some of you are so foolish, there are many other owners in our societies professional sports landscape that share Sterling's exact same views.

I pretty much guarantee that every other owner and high level league official has known Sterling was a racist for many years, yet still broke bread with the man. 

Exactly. People act like it's just Donald Sterling. There are plenty of racist owners in all of pro sports that make money off of minority athletes. This is nothing new here. It's just that Sterling got caught out there.

See what the NBA's response is. If the response/punishment is not appropriate, then stop supporting the NBA. Stop watching the games, stop buying tickets and jerseys.

That's if people actually wanted to do something.

definitely a big assumption there and while i don't actually think this is true, but in practice, how many of those that are white and truly WEALTHY associate/interact with diverse social groups? it would not be surprising if many wealth folk held similar views just because of the bubble they tend to live in...
You would be surprised. Most rich white people who started from the bottom (ugh..) are some of the most forward thinking people around that are constantly involved in all aspects the community.  The ones who come from generations of wealth, I could see them living in a bubble.

Some of you are so foolish, there are many other owners in our societies professional sports landscape that share Sterling's exact same views.

I pretty much guarantee that every other owner and high level league official has known Sterling was a racist for many years, yet still broke bread with the man. 

Let's not make wild accusations and assumptions without evidence. Just because people work with and for Sterling, doesn't mean they share the same views.

See what the NBA's response is. If the response/punishment is not appropriate, then stop supporting the NBA. Stop watching the games, stop buying tickets and jerseys.

That's if people actually wanted to do something.

I'm in agreement. I think the whole league should have boycotted...not just the Clippers. I think CP3 should have got on the phone with Bron, Steph, John Wall, KD, Zach, EVERY team still playing and said let's take a stand.

A lot of y'all keep talking about why would the Clippers give up chasing a championship...and I agree. But what if there was no championship to chase? You can bet your *** if this thing started costing EVERYONE money that the NBA would act faster. Us as fans would be effected and all the franchises would be effected.

There's strength in numbers.

Last edited:

@DCAllAmerican those were the only ones that come to mind, but i think you might be missing the point; if he was a player now he very likely would have said something, it would have been easy to be against this type of thing, it would have likely been exactly what is in that quoted text above...but he would not likely put himself out there in anyway as a leading face, or making known social problems --- i mean he played in one of the most segregated, problematic gang cities at the height of gang time in the chi. it is the same criticism of most have of the athletes that have came after him, indeed, it is the same ones people are saying in this very thread that today's athletes are only concerned about that bread...

That's cause the players union acted as a whole, not one team
And if the clippers take a stand, the union can't back them on a issue which isn't paper? There's obviously consequences, just as there could've been when they went on strike.

The sad thing about all of this is there's nothing that can be done. The league can pressure him but he doesn't have to sell his team.

The players won't take a stand because no matter how much of a scumbag the guy is, they won't risk messing up their million dollar salaries.

Steven A. is right, the only way to hurt this guy is to no longer allow him to profit from the franchise. Don't come to games and don't wear the apparel.

Any white person that comes up to me and tries to tell me anything, I'ma say two words: Donald Sterling.

Back
Top Bottom