Kevin Samuels Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Of course
Agreed.

Not sure why anyone would go to an interview without a suit though. That is a super counter-culture approach. :lol:
It depends on what industry you're tryna get a job in
It's never been a need for me to wear one because half these tech ****** don't even own one
I went on an interview once where the INTERVIEWER laughed at me for being overdressed
I was wearing a button down shirt and I think chinos to class it up a bit. The same casual **** I wear everyday
I also conducted an interview once and she came in dressed so nicely that we the interviewers felt bad :rofl:
As soon as the interview was over we were like "If we knew she'd look like that we would've dressed a little nicer" :lol:

Brokerage Firm Attire: Golf club shirts and Khaki pants, flip flops, or boat shoes. If you've been to the more popular spots around the world, this is how you rep through the polo's, like with limited kicks. I had one from The Dorado in Puerto Rico, and another from the Mid Ocean Club in Bermuda. I sold both for a buck fiddy a piece to traders that wanted to impress others, since they were indeed limited.

Dudes only wear suits when we went out with customers. Customers rarely came to the firms.

Y'all worried about appearances.

People with money dress so casual you wouldn't even know they had money unless they told you.

It's good at repelling gold diggers and opportunists.

I always take my beater car on dates and leave the nice one at home.

It's crazy the reception I get from strangers depending on the car I'm driving :smh:

While true, not sure you would want to take that chance going into a situation blindly.

I hear you though, you know your industry better than I do.

I just feel you can never be too safe with just wearing a suit

Exactly!

Applying for a cashier position at McDonalds aint exactly the same as applying for an agent position at the FBI.

this is true. and i guess you work a high end corporate job im sure its expected that you wear suits multiple times a week. lord knows i would absolutely hate to wear a suit any more than i absolutely have too. but im 6'4' 250 lbs. tailored suits are expensive and uncomfortable because because clothes fit me pretty differently depending on the time of year.

all that said, Kevin's advice seems like its geared towards men that are perpetually single. maybe center city Philly is a different vibe, or maybe its the places that I go to but theres no greater sign of a try hard than a guy that shows up to the rooftop beer garden in a suit lol

but i also say that from a position of being happily married and in a relationship for the majority of my 20's so i dont have to put myself out there lol

This is interesting because I lived in Center City for years and wore suits out but within context. For example, I usually had a suit on during SIPS because even thought it was the summer, it was a Wednesday afternoon at 5PM, right after work. Same goes for a work/school dinner or a charity event on the weekend. I'm not going to change out of my suit or tux at like 11/midnight before the bars close at 2-3.

Now if I'm going out just to hang, I'm definitely not wearing a full/suit and tie. However, I don't think it's trying too hard or that there's anything wrong with throwing on a blazer/sport coat in the non-summer months.

Word?

Applicants wearing t-shirts?

What industry is this?

Big law.
They are not sloppy, fitted. My tees are sharp, that is why my wife wears them.
I will not say which firm my wife works for, but they do two interviews via zoom, depending on the position. Then the third, final. My wife's new paralegal did her whole thing online, never coming into the office due to covid. She wore a white polo, has locs, and yes, is a sister. Her accessory were a pair of earrings.

The same, usually something white. The joke is about what people are wearing on the bottom!:lol:

I've never understood this. If you're going to go through the effort of buttoning up your shirt, tying a tie and putting on a jacket, you can at least go through the perfunctory exercise of putting on a pair of proper trousers. I'm not even advocating for a full suit. Whether it's a sport coat or a suit separate, I usually wear a pair of chinos (so I don't wear out a nicer pair of dress pants). i know more than 9/10, it won't show up on camera but c'mon man.

Big law.
They are not sloppy, fitted. My tees are sharp, that is why my wife wears them.
I will not say which firm my wife works for, but they do two interviews via zoom, depending on the position. Then the third, final. My wife's new paralegal did her whole thing online, never coming into the office due to covid. She wore a white polo, has locs, and yes, is a sister. Her accessory were a pair of earrings.

So unprofessional :smh:

I've never understood this. If you're going to go through the effort of buttoning up your shirt, tying a tie and putting on a jacket, you can at least go through the perfunctory exercise of putting on a pair of proper trousers. I'm not even advocating for a full suit. Whether it's a sport coat or a suit separate, I usually wear a pair of chinos (so I don't wear out a nicer pair of dress pants). i know more than 9/10, it won't show up on camera but c'mon man.
This was the running joke, nobody actually knew! Didn't someone get busted recently for fappin' on cam, naked on the bottom, someone famous from the media?! :lol:

Anyhoo, what's actually going on is that the lawyers are negotiating to keep things as they are, working from home until court appearances. This allows them to live in cheaper areas, and then flying into spots where they need to be in court. They love not needing to dress up.

:lol: Nah man, pointless effort.

I think that % is higher than 90%. I don't think anything under my (clothed) upper chest has been shown on camera so yea, there is NO point in putting on anything for those calls.

Keeping the same shorts/sweat pants I walk around the house in while I am on the call.

This was the running joke, nobody actually knew! Didn't someone get busted recently for fappin' on cam, naked on the bottom, someone famous from the media?! :lol:

Anyhoo, what's actually going on is that the lawyers are negotiating to keep things as they are, working from home until court appearances. This allows them to live in cheaper areas, and then flying into spots where they need to be in court. They love not needing to dress up.
Man, people gotta be careful with their camera and mic setups. I've seen and heard some thing but nothing like fapping :lol:

Based on my exposure to big law, that seems like it makes sense. I think a lot of professions/fields/industries should consider reducing their footprint and allowing folks to predominantly work from home. It really is a case-by-case basis.

From what I've gathered, the biggest issue is that the a lot of the top folks who make these decisions are older individuals who are used to coming into an office every day and they think that's the best and in some cases only way. I think trust is also another issue because some bosses like to have "eyes" on you.

:lol: Nah man, pointless effort.

I think that % is higher than 90%. I don't think anything under my (clothed) upper chest has been shown on camera so yea, there is NO point in putting on anything for those calls.

Keeping the same shorts/sweat pants I walk around the house in while I am on the call.

What type of top are you wearing with your shorts/sweats?

While true, not sure you would want to take that chance going into a situation blindly.

I hear you though, you know your industry better than I do.

I just feel you can never be too safe with just wearing a suit
The tech industry is kinda weird. Especially startup culture. A bunch of schlubby white guys in hoodies that think you're a stuck up tryhard for wearing cologne and clean shoes. I've heard someone say that wearing a suit to an interview would make them like the person less. Madness.

What type of top are you wearing with your shorts/sweats?
Normal day, T-Shirt/Polo/Hoodie

Serious meeting, Button up, Tie.

Nobody on that call is seeing any other part of me, so it is pointless.

The tech industry is kinda weird. Especially startup culture. A bunch of schlubby white guys in hoodies that think you're a stuck up tryhard for wearing cologne and clean shoes. I've heard someone say that wearing a suit to an interview would make them like the person less. Madness.

:rofl: I got you. That is funny.

This is interesting because I lived in Center City for years and wore suits out but within context. For example, I usually had a suit on during SIPS because even thought it was the summer, it was a Wednesday afternoon at 5PM, right after work. Same goes for a work/school dinner or a charity event on the weekend. I'm not going to change out of my suit or tux at like 11/midnight before the bars close at 2-3.

Now if I'm going out just to hang, I'm definitely not wearing a full/suit and tie. However, I don't think it's trying too hard or that there's anything wrong with throwing on a blazer/sport coat in the non-summer months.

Ahh SIPS, youre bringing back memories. I would always go to SIPS in my business casual atire which at this time of year is a polo and chinos, maybe a cardigan. But I'm an engineer. I work at a manufacturer. The only time I'd wear suits to work is when we took customers and suppliers out for dinner in drinks. For other events it was a comfortable oxford/button shirt with slacks. But my entire social life while living in philly wasnt really about anything other than enjoying myself. I had/have a great job with great pay, i wasnt single so I was checking for girls. So my approach may have been very different compared to others.

Normal day, T-Shirt/Polo/Hoodie

Serious meeting, Button up, Tie.

Nobody on that call is seeing any other part of me, so it is pointless.

I respect it and I see why someone would do it - because that's what makes them most comfortable. Personally, chinos/dress pants make me feel most comfortable with a dress shirt/tie. To each their own as long as it works for you :nthat:

Suits, ties and sport coats rub people the wrong way and I find it hilarious. People think that you're stuck up or that you think you're better than them without even saying a word or even knowing you. It's sad.

Last edited:
I respect it and I see why someone would do it - because that's what makes them most comfortable. Personally, chinos/dress pants make me feel most comfortable with a dress shirt/tie. To each their own as long as it works for you :nthat:

You must mean it makes you more comfortable mentally, right?

How would that make you more comfortable physically? (If that is what you were saying).

I come in Peace.

Man, people gotta be careful with their camera and mic setups. I've seen and heard some thing but nothing like fapping :lol:
Oh man this just reminded me

I had a video interview once and and the woman who was supposed to interview me told me she was running a little late
Cool, no problem, it's an early morning interview and it's not like I'm going anywhere so I let her know I'm ready when she's ready

When we finally start the interview she's a little out of breath and slightly disheveled. Told me she was at the dentist office and it ran a little late so she rushed to get back home and I'm like "At this time in the morning? Alright, whatever let's get this done", do a little casual dentist banter, haha haha, then the interview starts....

And a half naked man casually walks by in the back and it all clicks for me. She was too busy having a morning quickie to get to my interview on time :rofl: So now I'm there trying desperately to not react to the ***** in boxers who just slow strolled past the screen while she was looking freshly ****** :rofl: Completely forgot that ever happened until right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom