January Wrestling Thread/Tonight NXT 8PM EST/RIP Mean Gene Okerlaud

This is what new gen wrestlers fail to do. Tell the story, show us what is happening. How does your body react after being powerbombed. The after effect is as important as the action that takes place.
In the words of Kevin Sullivan, "Wrestlers of the past learned how to wrestle from watching wrestling; This generation of wrestlers learned how to wrestle from video games."

Moves
Moves
Moves

9NiP9EZ.gif

65MhlDb.gif

Thicc Paige :pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp:

In the words of Kevin Sullivan, "Wrestlers of the past learned how to wrestle from watching wrestling; This generation of wrestlers learned how to wrestle from video games."

Moves
Moves
Moves

That’s why guys like Omega and Ricochet will never be my #1 wrestler of the year winner..Their matches come off way too choreographed and they have no clue how to sell properly. They will take 27 Dragon Screws and 10 seconds later be running the ropes at Mach 3..

That’s why guys like Omega and Ricochet will never be my #1 wrestler of the year winner..Their matches come off way too choreographed and they have no clue how to sell properly. They will take 27 Dragon Screws and 10 seconds later be running the ropes at Mach 3..
Yea, I throw Ibushi into that category as well. That is my dude, but he lacks so many storytelling elements in his matches UNLESS he is wrestling someone that presents a good out of ring story. (Nakamura/Tanahashi).

Also throw your man Ocran Spray in there too.

Wrestlers today just do TOO much and TOO much isn't always "enough."

Good convo on the smalls vs. bigs conversation; in relation to Dynamite and Benoit

The Life and Tragic Times of Dynamite Kid with Dave Meltzer
Dave Meltzer joins to pay tribute to the late Dynamite Kid (aka Thomas Billington) who passed away last week on his 60th birthday. Dave and Y2J discuss Dynamite’s complicated legacy, the influence he had on many including Chris Benoit, Bret Hart, and Finn Balor, his early days in Calgary at Stampede Wrestling, and his jump to WWE and his tempestuous relationship with Vince McMahon. They remember Dynamite’s run in Japan and some of the incredible matches he had with Tiger Mask, his tag team partnership with his cousin Davey Boy Smith as the British Bulldogs and their matches against the Hart Foundation, and the devastating injury that all but ended Dynamite’s wrestling career.

Listening to The Life and Tragic Times of Dynamite Kid with Dave Meltzer from Talk Is Jericho. http://podbay.fm/show/767016946/e/1544598000

Moves
Moves

Moves

I cant read this without thinking of Rollins’ Falcon Arrow that never leads to a pin, nor Kevin Owens’ entire moveset :lol:

Meltzer makes a good point.

In ring wise, he said Benoit would be a much bigger star today vs. what he was during the Mid 90s, due to his believably and intensity; as well as his skill. The stigma of being a smaller wrestler doesn't exist now.

Bad Moon Rison Bad Moon Rison
Carmella is the only female superstar to compete in all four of the 'Big Four' pay-per-view events of 2018.
renderTimingPixel.png

She entered the women's Royal Rumble, competed in the Women's WrestleMania Battle Royal, defended the SmackDown Women's Championship at SummerSlam, and participated in the women's five-on-five elimination match at Survivor Series. All other prominent female superstars missed at least one event (Ronda Rousey & Charlotte Flair didn't compete at the Royal Rumble, Asuka missed SummerSlam, Becky Lynch was injured at Survivor Series).

For reference, here are the other women who have achieved this in years gone by (Including pre-show matches but not dark matches):

2017 - Sasha Banks, Alexa Bliss, Naomi & Natalya (all of them had at least one pre-show match)

2016 - Charlotte Flair & Becky Lynch (all main card matches)

2015 - Paige (all main card matches)

Before 2015, you'd have to go all the way back to 2001, when Ivory achieved this feat, however her match at Survivor Series took place on Heat. Before this, no woman had competed at all four 'Big Four' pay-per-view events. Just thought it was interesting.

Edit: The Women’s WrestleMania Battle Royal took place on the pre-show, but regardless she’s still the only female to appear on all four events, pre-shows included.

“I actually had a conversation with [Will] Ospreay,” explained Jericho, “and people were saying he’s gonna be the next Dynamite Kid, and I’m like ‘dude, you don’t want to be the next Dynamite Kid and this is what people are saying about you. So, these dangerous moves that you do, that you don’t need to do, stop it. You need to be working when you’re 47 like I am.’ Now, I had my share of crazy bumps, took my share of bad bumps, but as you get older, it’s the proverbial thing. I remember Nick Bockwinkle told me back in like 1992, at a TV taping in Winnipeg when he was there as a color commentator, ‘you do too much’.”

Chris Jericho On What He Warned Will Ospreay About His Style https://www.prowrestling.com/chris-...nd-what-he-told-will-ospreay-about-his-style/

He’d punch them dumb broads in the face then stand over their body hold the Domed Globe in his hand while telling them to take a good look at what a real champion looks like..

Wow!
I don't want to imagine what Harley would do to Naomi for all that twerkin' & gyration & whatnot...

...that pistol of his might get some use or uce...

2018 WWE PPV Top Performers as rated by Dave Meltzer
renderTimingPixel.png

This list does not NXT. This list only consist of main roster PPVs. According to my quick research, the last 5-star match on a WWE PPV was CM Punk/John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011.

Unsurprisingly, AJ Styles had the most 4-star plus matches, with 7 of his 12 matches being at least 4, for an average of 3.875. The top rated matches from WWE both come from the SmackDown! brand, with Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles for the WWE Championship at WWE TLC on December 16, 2018, and Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch in a Last Woman Standing match for the SmackDown! Women's Championship at WWE Evolution on October 28,2018, both being rated at 4.75 stars.

The most 4-star plus matches.

• AJ Styles - 7

• Charlotte Flair - 5

• Samoa Joe - 4

• Becky Lynch - 3

• Buddy Murphy, Seth Rollins, Ronda Rousey, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, The Miz, Asuka - 2
Top 15 Average Score (Minimum 4 matches)

• AJ Styles - 3.875

• Drew McIntyre - 3.8125

• Becky Lynch - 3.68

• Samoa Joe - 3.59

• Seth Rollins - 3.46

• Ronda Rousey - 3.41

• Dolph Ziggler - 3.36

• Sasha Banks - 3.31

• The Miz - 3.295

• Cedric Alexander - 3.2

• Daniel Bryan - 3.17

• Finn Balor - 3.156

• Big E - 3.1

• Kofi Kingston -3.07

• Bobby Roode - 3.05
Bottom 10 Average Score (Minimum 4 Matches)

• Undertaker - 1.5625

• Jinder Mahal - 1.8125

• Carmella - 2

• Jeff Hardy - 2.07

• Baron Corbin - 2.125

• Bobby Lashley - 2.25

• Cesaro - 2.28

• Sheamus - 2.28

• Brock Lesnar 2.333

• Braun Strowman - 2.333

Back
Top Bottom