Is apu a racist character?? VOL...THE PROBLEM WITH APU

I'm comparing you, someone who routinely offers critiques about products that affect his life on a regular basis, to someone who offered a critique about something that affected his life on a regular basis.

apu doesn't even show up on da simpson regularly to effect said person on a regular basis :lol:

my critique is ergonomic and user interface based, not editorial..u slackin b.

oh yeah? so why isn't da indian merch going anywhere? ill wait.
What that got to do with anything? :lol: There's merch for all sorts of things with enough chumps out to buy it.

You're literally asking how can all these white ppl ignore this bigotry to support a baseball team :lol:

You just wake up?

What that got to do with anything.

da end goal for sjw was to eliminate chief wahoo, and what they did instead is make him hotter, so hotter MLB wouldn't forbid da indians to continue to sell Chief Wahoo's likeness after da 2018 season concludes...

I can't believe that this caused enough of an issue that they decided to completely erase the character.

Yeah i’m surprised at this. Dude came out with the documentary there was some talk about it for a bit but it seemed to have just gone away until now.

Theres no resolution in all this. Apu is gone but what about other Indian characters on TV shows or movies? I don’t watch Big Bang Theory but isn’t there a stereotypical Indian guy on that show too?

Would have liked to see the show producers acknowledge the Apu complains and improve his character like mentioned before but just getting rid of him is an L for everyone

da end goal for sjw was to eliminate chief wahoo, and what they did instead is make him hotter, so hotter MLB wouldn't forbid da indians to continue to sell Chief Wahoo's likeness after da 2018 season concludes...
So ppl try to get rid of an offensive logo, threatening to take a way team's logo and most likely it's name, it doesn't happen but bigots simply rally behind it more resulting in sales increasing.

Where have I seen this before?

Sounds like any time there's a mass shooting, gun control conversation gets shot down, rep play the boogeyman card of dems are gonna take their guns, and gun sales drastically increase.

You're not this naive. Stop making up falsehoods and ridiculous reasons and asking dumb questions.

So ppl try to get rid of an offensive logo, it doesn't happen and bigots simply rally behind it more resulting in sales increasing.

here's your problem, you think everyone that likes chief wahoo is a bigot... that's why it isn't going anywhere, cuz that type of talk just entrenches folks to support their mascot even harder, as seen by da indians brisk sales of anything chief wahoo related.

apu doesn't even show up on da simpson regularly to effect said person on a regular basis :lol:

my critique is ergonomic and user interface based, not editorial..u slackin b.
You clearly haven't listened to Hari Kondabalu speak about this, or made any effort to understand why people had an issue with a stereotypical depiction of an Indian American, voiced by a White man, especially at a time when few other Indian American characters appeared in American films or television. (And, when they did, they were too often played by White people in brown face, like Fisher Stevens in the Short Circuit movies or Mike Myers in "The Love Guru.")

I would wager that many people, including Hari Kondabalu, were subjected to Apu-related disrespect far more often than you ever see a Tesla at your repair shop - and yet that hasn't stopped you from complaining about Tesla.

The legal reason is if they stop selling the merchandise they lose the Trademark to the logo.

A business decision was made to not lose the logo.

Can we also apply this logic to the products and entities that you have issues with?

Like...do Tesla's recent sales figures indicate that your gripes with the company are totally insignificant?

here's your problem, you think everyone that likes chief wahoo is a bigot... that's why it isn't going anywhere, cuz that type of talk just entrenches folks to support their mascot even harder, as seen by da indians brisk sales of anything chief wahoo related.
Not just bigots but I'm sure they were the main cause behind the uptick.

I also mentioned white ppl who simply don't care about bigotry and offensive topics as long as it isn't directed at them. Maybe you convinenetly ignored that?

But your assumption doesn't really matter in this regard. Just reads like another preprogrammed talking point.

You clearly haven't listened to Hari Kondabalu speak

sike...

apu.jpg

Still from "The Problem with Apu."
( David S. Holloway/trutv.jpg )
Nov 21, 2017

Hari Kondabolu, comedian, actor, and host of the podcast “Politically Re-Active,” and Michael Melamedoff, director, discuss their new documentary The Problem with Apu, where he confronts his cartoon nemesis and minority representation in the media

https://www.wnyc.org/story/confronting-apu/

heard about him last year on public Radio...his take about a fictional cartoon character is as unconvincing then as it is now.

what's da difference between Apu and money from da Johnny 5 movie? when i was a lil kid i knew this lil hindu boy cats around here would cut *** on callin him Johnny 5.
as far as im concerned if people wanna be mean to someone their gonna use w/e representation thats on pop culture, da irony is him complaining bout Apu just made representation that that much smaller.

The legal reason is if they stop selling the merchandise they lose the Trademark to the logo.

A business decision was made to not lose the logo.

sounds like hogwash backdoor way to still make money on their popular merchandise.

because if it was really an outrage, and not a microwave SJW pet peeve no modern corporation would feel good taking in that blood money profit.

as far as im concerned if people wanna be mean to someone their gonna use w/e representation thats on pop culture, da irony is him complaining bout Apu just made representation that that much smaller.
So you would defend this:
51m6NjmT1BL.jpg

On the grounds that eliminating it would result in fewer Black characters in pop culture?

This is nonsense. Clearly, you're a blatant hypocrite when it comes to complaining about things that don't really impact your everyday life - including this very issue. You don't watch the show. You aren't affected by the character, yet you have a strong opinion about it - and you're angry that other people (who are far more directly impacted by the character than you) are allowed to have a strong opinion about it as well. Ridiculous.

you're comparing blackface to apu.. :lol: :smh:

this conversation comparison ridiculous, da simpson are a fictional cartoon innudated with stereotypes and exaggerations of all demographics.

i.e.

but nah, let's act like stereotypical comedic satire is now taboo in da 29th season of a runnin show >D :lol:

apu is literally just a Indian being depicted in a cartoon.

reminds me when liberals pressured cartoon Network to stop airing Speedy Gonzalez, only to find out Speedy was insanely popular in latin America.

Concern about stereotypesEdit
Feeling that the character presented an offensive Mexican stereotype, Cartoon Network shelved Speedy's films when it gained exclusive rights to broadcast them in 1999 (as a subsidiary of Time Warner, Cartoon Network is a corporate sibling to Warner Bros.). In an interview with Fox News on March 28, 2002, Cartoon Network spokeswoman Laurie Goldberg commented, "It hasn't been on the air for years because of its ethnic stereotypes."[4]

Despite such controversy over potentially offensive characterizations, Speedy Gonzales remained a popular character in Latin America.[4] The Hispanic-American rights organization League of United Latin American Citizens called Speedy a cultural icon, and thousands of users registered their support of the character on the hispaniconline.com message boards. Fan campaigns to put Speedy back on the air resulted in the return of the animated shorts to Cartoon Network in 2002.[5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedy_Gonzales

i think whats gonna happen is Indians is gonna complain he's gone and their gonna bring him back by popular demand.

I compared blackface to apu earlier as well... It's deemed racist and insensitive by some and entertaining to others.

Slightly different because blackface is 100% meant to degrade and belittle a race.

The trope of the unscrupulous convenience store clerk doesn't have much upside either

The fact that the character has been fleshed out over the years softens it a bit, but it's basis is still a crummy stereotype

Some good points in this vid. Some of the stuff has been mentioned in here.

So do y'all feel like a race doing an impression of another race is 100% out of line and racist? Especially considering the fact that we've "established" that we can't dictate what others are offended by?

Some good points in this vid. Some of the stuff has been mentioned in here.

So do y'all feel like a race doing an impression of another race is 100% out of line and racist? Especially considering the fact that we've "established" that we can't dictate what others are offended by?

****...now that I think about it...is Tony Montana an offensive character?

The role was portrayed by a white guy.

Back
Top Bottom