Is apu a racist character?? VOL...THE PROBLEM WITH APU

Glancing back through this thread, I lots of well thought-out discussions. Even those that didn't agree had healthy responses. This could've been held in a panel discussion.

I remember an older Indian writer talking about the generational divide when it comes to Apu,

cats who immigrated to america/Canada when they were older generally don't really have a problem with Apu
it's the second generation kids who probably went through school hearing Apu jokes who hate that **** more.

I haven't kept up with the Apu controversy,

but I know I def would not like it if the only cultural representation of my culture was a cartoon stereotype played by a white dude. :lol:

I will say this line of reasoning from comedians is always super dumb. :lol:
The inherently sociopaths nature of comedians, while useful for generating entertainment....

is NOT something we should model for the rest of socitey.

Comedians are literally the least sensitive people on the planet, and literally the people best able to deal with ridicule and being mocked.

and russsel peters advice to the average Indian kid is;

you need to be thick skinned as a professional stand up comedian.

AND

come up with a never ending series of witty comebacks to counteract being made fun of... :lol:

Younger indians probably want cooler stereotypes. Some kama sutra stuff or guys from those funny indian action movies. If there were indian characters who won spelling bees, math bees, geography bees they probably wouldn't like it either. They'd be cool with doctors.

Still think the Simpsons folks should've just sat down with dudes instead of doubling down on the white arrogance and just cancelling the character and saying F their opinions.

Also good read so you get to see who some of these cats really are that try to reinvent themselves and act like they get bullied out of nowhere.

The inherently sociopaths nature of comedians, while useful for generating entertainment....

Comedians are literally the least sensitive people on the planet, and literally the people best able to deal with ridicule and being mocked.

AND

come up with a never ending series of witty comebacks to counteract being made fun of... :lol:
Quality post. Especially the sociopath callout; something about you definitely has to be 'different' to be a comedian.

Slightly unrelated, but there's a Jimmy Kimmel video that is very troublesome for me. They go out in the streets and ask kids what they think adultery is. When he reveals the segment to the audience, you can hear the displeasure in the groans... His response 'we've got a show to do, idk what to tell you". And the lady interviewing the kids had a VERY awkward exchange with a 3y/o who, of course, has no idea what adultery is, so she says it's funny, and the interviewer responds 'yeah it's funny until it happens to you, huh'. This lets me know that there's something wrong with a lot of people in Hollywood. They just see the potential humor and not how inappropriate it is. I can't believe the parents allowed it. And they removed the comments so that lets me know that I'm not alone with this.

Last edited:

AND

Yeah If that's the case then the kids should just become stand up comedians and make millions. I watch a lot of comedy related stuff and at times I have some of the same sort of sociopathy and come from a place of the joke more so than trying to hurt someone, but it only takes a few conversations to realize that most of the world isn't like that, and it's not a big deal to curtail that thought and hold back a ****** joke.

I'm surprised the Braves can still do their chant without any backlash.

Stereotypes are funny. They can also hurt peoples feelings. And they can also be rooted in some level of factual truth. All of the above can happen at the same time. Keyboard jockey feelings are an easy way for people to release their frustration cuz they know the real underlying issue is systemic and not this superficial.

Back
Top Bottom