Is apu a racist character?? VOL...THE PROBLEM WITH APU

I didn't even think about speedy. As i mentioned before, someone can find a problem with literally anything. And the fact that everyone has a platform can be dangerous.
you can literally cut out Speedy's name, insert Apu and it would be da exact thing.

****...now that I think about it...is Tony Montana an offensive character?

The role was portrayed by a white guy.

here's a 80's baby gem...

portrayed by....

250px-077_b17_2575.jpg

Scarface is a part of a long line of Hollywood whiteashing and I'm not including blackface. White ppl depicting Asians and Hispanics.

In its more racist days they would do anything to cast a white person no matter the skin color or nationality.

If you was woke in the 80s it'd be pretty easy to point out and be upset with a couple of Pacino's roles. Look at Carlito's Way and Carlito's Way: Rise to Power :lol:

“Spokesmen for Miami’s Latin community are reportedly nervous at the potential bad image that could result from the movie Scarface, now heading into production,” went the item in the August 4, 1982, issue of Variety, the first public indication of the controversy that had been simmering since Scarface set up its production office in the city earlier that summer. The producer and studio commenced a rotation of private negotiations and a public PR battle over the film, with the mayor’s office uncomfortably in the middle (representative Marylee Lander told Variety, “It’s just a gangster movie set in Miami … We’ve never seen our office with a censorship role.”)

City commissioner Demetrio Perez led the charge against the picture, while Miami Herald columnist Guillermo Martinez penned an editorial voicing their main concern: that the stories of the Marielitos were fueling anti-Cuban sentiment in Florida, which would be further amplified by a film that would “tell the nation and the world that the prototype of the U.S. gangster of the 1980s was a Mariel refugee.” (In a New York Daily News editorial following the film’s release, Miguel Perez charged, “the movie fails to say that even among those Marielitos who had criminal records, there were thousands whose offenses were so minor that they would not be considered criminals here, and thousands of others whose ‘criminal record’ was based on their opposition to the Communist regime.”)

Bregman and his production team met with local leaders throughout August, while simultaneously (and quietly) weighing the option of diverting the shoot to California. Bregman publicly insisted he wouldn’t budge, though his pronouncements were undercut a bit when Universal president Ned Tanen told New York Daily News gossip columnist Marilyn Beck, “Universal won’t make the movie there unless I can be assured there will be no problems. They last thing I need is to end up having militants chasing us around the block.” By the end of the month, the producers finally got the go-ahead, though with several strings attached (including a closing disclaimer, which remains in the film, that “the vast majority of Cuban/Americans have demonstrated a dedication, vitality, and enterprise that has enriched the American scene”). But by then, it was too late; on September 1, Variety reported that Bregman and Universal had decided to move the bulk of the production to California “as a result of opposition from within the local Cuban community.” (They would ultimately shoot ten days of exteriors in southern Florida the following spring, with that schedule kept tightly under wraps to avoid the kind of disruptions that had plagued Pacino’s last cause célèbre, Cruising.)

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/revisiting-the-controversy-surrounding-scarface.html

Scarface was not shot entirely in Miami because members of the local Cuban community oppossed the film.

Liberals also gotta break the habit of anybody that don’t agree with their POV on every single topic is a SWS.

I’m a liberal if it matters.

And right on cue here’s this fool caping for SWS. Personally I don’t give a damn what you call yourself, if you constantly find yourself siding with those who are notorious for regurgitating white supremacist rhetoric then you prolly need to check yourself “liberal” papa.

You can miss me with the crying about being offended that your SWS amigos continue to get called on their bs

I didn't even think about speedy. As i mentioned before, someone can find a problem with literally anything. And the fact that everyone has a platform can be dangerous.
Bingo.

So that is why I say, don't CRY about what people CRY about. Just let people CRY because "you" will probably be crying in a month.

Interesting conversation about Speedy though. I agree that it is the same concept as Apu. (Not saying it is right/wrong, jst saying it is the same thing)

:lol:

Bet you would've voted for Obama a 3rd time if you could.
I don't get the purpose of just posting just to post a smilie. If you disagree cool but you could do more than post a smilie. This online passive aggressive stuff is weak but maybe that's just who some of you are irl too.

Lack of cultural competency. You may not know that their are others that sit and ACTUALLY believe what they see on TV.

Americans are hella disrespectful lol

Lack of cultural competency. You may not know that their are others that sit and ACTUALLY believe what they see on TV.

Are you serious? That's a problem with those people that will believe something because it's on tv not me who doesn't do that. You need to be getting on them not people who just see tv for what it is as just entertainment at times.

Bingo.

So that is why I say, don't CRY about what people CRY about. Just let people CRY because "you" will probably be crying in a month.

Interesting conversation about Speedy though. I agree that it is the same concept as Apu. (Not saying it is right/wrong, jst saying it is the same thing)
Basically, point and laugh at someone else feeling a certain way when you'll be doing the same eventually, and have already done so.

Doesn’t this sound as silly as when politicians try to blame rap music tho?

Cause you know...there are kids that may actually believe it is cool to sell drugs and pour champagne on these hose.

Are you serious? That's a problem with those people that will believe something because it's on tv not me who doesn't do that. You need to be getting on them not people who just see tv for what it is as just entertainment at times.
Like I stated earlier famb. It ain’t always about you.

Doesn’t this sound as silly as when politicians try to blame rap music tho?

Cause you know...there are kids that may actually believe it is cool to sell drugs and pour champagne on these hose.
Politicians are full of ****. They need humor kinda like how comedy needs politics. Balance mayne

oh they had problems with Speedy years ago, people just forgot.

his cousin Slow Poke Rodriguez was more of a problem from what i remember

While true, both are #Problematic .

I think the point he was trying to make is we turn a blind eye to ALOT of things and there is often no rhyme or reason as to why certain things gain steam.

or he could be one of those conservative types that file any and all racial complaints under people being too sensitive

not saying he is, i dont know his post history

while i do agree we turn a blind eye to many things, i dont believe in entertainment void of individuals and personalities we come across everyday

what i dont believe in are racist images in entertainment that make other cultures feel uncomfortable

Like I stated earlier famb. It ain’t always about you.
You can take me out and it still holds true so let's not try to skate on me putting myself in the equation. It's still junk logic that puts the burden on others for someone else's stupidity.

So is Apu now off the Halloween costume list?

Can an Indian still dress as Apu on Halloween if they wanted to?

Back
Top Bottom