Is apu a racist character?? VOL...THE PROBLEM WITH APU

A team being called the Cleveland Indians and the Washington skins of red in 2018 is absolutely crazy but I digress.

you're entitled to your opinion, that said its crucial that intent plays a bigger role in these conversations...

this is why Apu is going away, because one side deems intent as irrelevant.

think they did that to say 'screw you, you don't like your representation, we'll cancel him.' as a way to not accommodate to them

i think its more of a "don't mess my expression of art" because ultimately its their creation..imagine someone telling u how to dictate your creation they had no role in making or cultivating into iconic figures..

Ya'll don't see a problem with something being this way?

Not in this situation. People are taking umbrage over a non issue. Groening and Co. are saying let’s take representation of a minority race completely out the equation since y’all want to nitpick. The Simpsons shouldn’t be responsible for educating Americans on the differences amongst the people of the world and exhibiting tolerance. No one remembers when television, cartoons in particular were meant to be an escape from reality?

i think its more of a "don't mess my expression of art" because ultimately its their creation..imagine someone telling u how to dictate your creation they had no role in making or cultivating into iconic figures..

I can see that. It's just hard to judge something like that.

I'm sure similar conversations were being held decades ago with people defending minstrel shows/black face.

Like i said on one of the first pages, it's like only that culture can poke fun at itself. Anyone else does it, it will be deemed offensive by someone. More than likely on Twitter.

Not in this situation. People are taking umbrage over a non issue. Groening and Co. are saying let’s take representation of a minority race completely out the equation since y’all want to nitpick. The Simpsons shouldn’t be responsible for educating Americans on the differences amongst the people of the world and exhibiting tolerance. No one remembers when television, cartoons in particular were meant to be an escape from reality?
Did any of ya'll even read the original post or watch dudes documentary? Because it seems all you guys post are out of context with the "umbrage" or "outrage" etc. Take a moment to actually read it, or even watch a clip of the documentary so ya'll can reframe your pov correctly. After that, this whole arrogant white response doesn't bother ya'll?

Ya'll don't see a problem with something being this way?

I would say it’s petty on the creators part. And definitely not helping the bigger cause here.

But either we want these creators to have freedom of expression or we don’t.
Since when do viewers determine the evolution of a character?

I would say it’s petty on the creators part. And definitely not helping the bigger cause here.

But either we want these creators to have freedom of expression or we don’t.
Since when do viewers determine the evolution of a character?
No one told them how to do anything. Son just used Apu as a reference point of how Indians are portrayed on film. He didn't dictate what they should do, it was just "this is what we saw" and "this is what we felt" from other Indian Americans. It wasn't even a forced hand movement like "Oscars so White" a few years ago which most of you were on board for, but it came down to the same thing, representation.

Do ya'll dispute the limited representation of Indians in film? don't they have a right to have an opinion on how it makes them feel? why should they suppress it? Again they didn't run up in the studio burning ****, just said what they felt.

Like i said on one of the first pages, it's like only that culture can poke fun at itself. Anyone else does it, it will be deemed offensive by someone

its pretty dumb hence why i can't stress enough intent as da more important barometer in these factors.

Last edited:
Did any of ya'll even read the original post or watch dudes documentary? Because it seems all you guys post are out of context with the "umbrage" or "outrage" etc. Take a moment to actually read it, or even watch a clip of the documentary so ya'll can reframe your pov correctly. After that, this whole arrogant white response doesn't bother ya'll?

I’ve watched the documentary. Regardless of the semantics, the “problem” is that a minority is putting the onus of representation on a fictional cartoon. I’d be remiss as a minority myself to place America’s attitude toward race relations on something so trivial. With all the problems I have with this new Star Wars trilogy, Finn the damn space janitor isn’t the battle I’d choose to fight even though I have every reason to....

I’ve watched the documentary. Regardless of the semantics, the “problem” is that a minority is putting the onus of representation on a fictional cartoon. I’d be remiss as a minority myself to place America’s attitude toward race relations on something so trivial. With all the problems I have with this new Star Wars trilogy, Finn the damn space janitor isn’t the battle I’d choose to fight even though I have every reason to....
Thing is there is no battle, again it's basically "this is how we're typically represented, this is how it made me feel" which i'd think every human is entitled to. They didn't run up on the simpsons creators with pitch forks. Still you got that arrogant, condescending dismissive response from them. That's crazy to me ya'll are advocating this.

No one told them how to do anything. Son just used Apu as a reference point of how Indians are portrayed on film. He didn't dictate what they should do, it was just "this is what we saw" and "this is what we felt" from other Indian Americans. It wasn't even a forced hand movement like "Oscars so White" a few years ago which most of you were on board for, but it came down to the same thing, representation.

Do ya'll dispute the limited representation of Indians in film? don't they have a right to have an opinion on how it makes them feel? why should they suppress it? Again they didn't run up in the studio burning ****, just said what they felt.

Of course there is limited representation of Indians in American film.
And if you go to India there is probably limited representation of Americans in the Indian film industry.

Look man I get everyone should have a voice and it’s good to see steps being made in that direction.
I think that the wave Aziz and Mindy started has definitely pushed the movement forward for the culture and that’s dope to see.

Apu having to literally be a casualty for this movement is kinda crazy tho.

:lol:
Just peeped Meths reply.

It almost seems like a slippery slope to an extent. I'm sure several popular shows have a character that isn't the best representation of a minority or an outright stereotype.

It almost seems like a slippery slope to an extent. I'm sure several popular shows have a character that isn't the best representation of a minority or an outright stereotype.

I just hope gays don’t get up in arms for Jacks character from Will and Grace.

That is one flamboyant cat. Dude be cracking me up.

Of course there is limited representation of Indians in American film.
And if you go to India there is probably limited representation of Americans in the Indian film industry.

Look man I get everyone should have a voice and it’s good to see steps being made in that direction.
I think that the wave Aziz and Mindy started has definitely pushed the movement forward for the culture and that’s dope to see.

Apu having to literally be a casualty for this movement is kinda crazy tho.
Apu didn't have to be a casualty, the Simpsons team in all their arrogance made him a casualty because having an empathetic ear is so difficult.

Which introduces another dynamic. Had they been sensitive and made apu a tech billionaire, people would call them weak for compromising their idea and pandering to the complaints.

They leave it as is, they're seen as insensitive.

They take the a-hole route and cancel him together and they're seen as arrogant.

Lol catch 22 to the fullest. They've had some pretty stereotypical representations if Asians as well. Not recurring roles though.

I feel like had Kondabolu tried to get in touch with Groening and other staff writers and legitimately express how he felt and how others like him felt there would have been a more empathetic tone on the writers part.

Which introduces another dynamic. Had they been sensitive and made apu a tech billionaire, people would call them weak for compromising their idea and pandering to the complaints.

They leave it as is, they're seen as insensitive.

They take the a-hole route and cancel him together and they're seen as arrogant.

Lol catch 22 to the fullest. They've had some pretty stereotypical representations if Asians as well. Not recurring roles though.

#Seebothsides

Back
Top Bottom