Is apu a racist character?? VOL...THE PROBLEM WITH APU

And, so?

The victims of the bullying have no right to call out the source material of these negative stereotypes their bullies used?
Negative stereotypes have been on TV/film for over a century now. If people are gonna call out every single offensive character, we would literally have no TV.

Correct...the line should be drawn somewhere.
Of all tv shows, the Simpsons is not where I draw the line.

The homie that started the whole thing is admittedly a big fan of the Simpsons. So he is cool with all other crude jokes targeting other groups on the show and he drew his line at Apu?

I’m all for progressing non white characters inentertainment but I’m not going to check the Simpsons to serve as the line for things to be PC.
If that’s the hill dudes want to die on, all the power in the world to you.
Who said that he is? One of the "problems with Apu" is not only that he pushes negative stereotypes, but he is pretty much the only Indian character on the show. So there is no counterbalance. Yes, there are other offensive characters on the show, but if he doesn't call out all of them he is condoning them? Again apply this logic to something else, so if I call out how white supremacy hurts black folk, if I fail to mention how it hurts Latinos, or Muslims, or Native Americans, I am somehow condoning it?

What is this "going back to check on the Simpsons". People are having a discussion about a show that has been running for a while. I didn't know there was an expiration date on racism.

Famb, your whole thing has been to handwave this thing away so you dismiss all nuance, and make reaches, to make you make your argument work.

Negative stereotypes have been on TV/film for over a century now. If people are gonna call out every single offensive character, we would literally have no TV.
But they have the right to say they don't like something? Don't they?

Listen, real talk, not everyone's mind has been as colonized as yours, you gotta accept that.

Also, it is a BS assertion that every time someone makes an objection to a something on TV, then it gets pulled. More often than not, **** gets to fly. The thing is that the slick **** that used to fly 30 years ago, doesn't fly now. Not only that, this situation was made worse because of how flippant the producers were to fair criticism.

It is weird to me that producers of the Simpsons and their defenders do even ask that they rise to the level of Dave Chapelle on the transgender issue. That even as Chappelle says he will not apologize for his material, he acknowledges that transgender people are allowed to be offended by his word, and he is sorry it makes them feel how they do.

Last edited:
Who said that he is? One of the "problems with Apu" is not only that he pushes negative stereotypes, but he is pretty much the only Indian character on the show. So there is no counterbalance. Yes, there are other offensive characters on the show, but if he doesn't call out all of them he is condoning them? Again apply this logic to something else, so if I call out how white supremacy hurts black folk, if I fail to mention how it hurts Latinos, or Muslims, or Native Americans, I am somehow condoning it?

What is this "going back to check on the Simpsons". People are having a discussion about a show that has been running for a while. I didn't know there was an expiration date on racism.

Famb, your whole thing has been to handwave this thing away so you dismiss all nuance, and make reaches, to make you make your argument work.

At its core, The Simpsons is a crude tv show that has always taken aim at different groups of people with a comedic spin on it.

If the dude is a fan of the show, he is of a fan of the crudeness it delivers...there is no way around that. Apu is one of those things included in the crudeness.

I would almost understand if some conservative person hated the show overall and listed Apu and the enforcement of stereotypes as reasons for hating the Simpsons.
But how you a fan of the show which we all agree on the type of humor it delivers and then get offended for the type of humor it delivers.

It’s like going in the women appreciation threads and being offended at the lack of clothing in there.

At this point we can agree to disagree tho.
I respect the fight, I’m just choosing not to die on this hill.

Nah. We'd still have tv, they just wouldn't have negative stereotypes.

At its core, The Simpsons is a crude tv show that has always taken aim at different groups of people with a comedic spin on it.

If the dude is a fan of the show, he is of a fan of the crudeness it delivers...there is no way around that. Apu is one of those things included in the crudeness.

I would almost understand if some conservative person hated the show overall and listed Apu and the enforcement of stereotypes as reasons for hating the Simpsons.
But how you a fan of the show which we all agree on the type of humor it delivers and then get offended for the type of humor it delivers.

It’s like going in the women appreciation threads and being offended at the lack of clothing in there.

I don't think you've actually read or understood the dude's criticism of Apu and of the show at all.

I read the article. Did not watch the movie tho.

I’ll get around to it then come back. I might learn something.

The Simpson is not just a show about crudeness. Yes is it there but there are other factors at play.

It is a show that satirizes American culture. It parodies currents, history, people reactions to social movements, and often times has heartfelt moments between the characters. At its peak, the Simpson had more to offer than just cruel jokes.

With any minority that consumes media, you have to accept that not all **** will be culturally sensitive. I enjoyed Modern Warfare games, but if someone put a mic in front of me and ask me if there were any issues you had with the game I am not allowed to say "the whole terrorist and African warlord" steez was wack? I enjoyed Django Unchained, nearly all my black friends that are into movies do, and nearly all of them felt there were some ******** parts in the movie. I like South Park, but I am not allowed to say some of their jokes and commentary are whack?

Good shows offer many reasons to watch, that doesn't mean an overall fan of the show can have issues with it.

At its core Hari is just giving one example of how the Simpsons can improve. He is not asking for the whole house to be burnt to the ground.

Last edited:
I’ll give you that, at its best the Simpsons has had more to offer than just crude jokes.

So again, we can agree to disagree.

I learned while ago I can’t decide what other people find offensive or how it affects them. I will not let APU be any different.

In the words of a wise man...

I can see both sides.

I’ll give you that, at its best the Simpsons has had more to offer than just crude jokes.

So again, we can agree to disagree.

I learned while ago I can’t decide what other people find offensive or how it affects them. I will not let APU be any different.

In the words of a wise man...

I can see both sides.
You see both sides now, but please remember you hop in there definitely taking one side.

Here is the thing. I will leave it here because while Hari makes a lot of points about Apu, this is probably the one you could vibe with.

Apu was the only major representation of brown people on TV. Putting the Simpsons aside, if there were a ton of other Indian or Middle Eastern characters on TV, Apu's negative power would mostly vanish. Like there are bad stereotypes of all kinds of people on the Simpsons, but in media in general there examples of positive images regarding those groups. Indian American just had Apu for a while, so what is wrong is exploring the impacts of that.

And for real dude. These "both sides" stuff you always try be on really be fueling your bad hot takes. Remember when you wanted to give Trump a chance or saw no problem in Ninja's post on black people.

Fam get off my got damn D***! You've quoted me like 5 times in 2 hours. If you don't like what i post then ignore it like I've been trying to ignore you.
:rofl: :rofl:

Stop with the "fake outrage" famb :lol:

Nah, I like to laugh at the sawftness and fragility. Stay being outraged at supposed outrage.

So, I remember learning a new language in a public school. Highlights include only speaking that language in class, adopting a name of that culture, and a potluck. Younger Nters, what’s changed? The issue is way deeper than voice acting, people forget acting requires research and are treating this like homie isn’t a professional.

Funny thing is if I had time to waste I'd quote every fool in here being sensitive about something that offended them, yet they can so easily dictate how others should feel about something that offends them.

I view it the same way I view folks shaming others for "still supporting" companies/people that THEY have cancelled.

Everyone gets offended over stuff others feel is petty.

Everyone supports companies that have done dirt.

Just let people cry when they want to cry because we all end up crying at some point

If they are removing him then i think that's their attempt at sending a message. They could easily grow his character, but their pride won't allow that so they'll just kill him off.

keep killing him off keeps his legacy alive which ironically cements him as what he always was forever.

Back
Top Bottom