Is apu a racist character?? VOL...THE PROBLEM WITH APU

Hell nah. Folks been coming at offensive humor, art, and media for centuries. It's not going anywhere.
I get what you're saying, but this is a new age. Social media is making the voices louder and more intense.

Look at what's happening with the metoo movement. I'm sure leveraging power for sex has been happening since forever, but cats are getting outed left and right.

I get what you're saying, but this is a new age. Social media is making the voices louder and more intense.

Look at what's happening with the metoo movement. I'm sure leveraging power for sex has been happening since forever, but cats are getting outed left and right.

Nah man. Art won't be suppressed on that level.

The biggest churches in the world couldn't stop art and literature. The government itself couldn't censor rap music or fully remove certain books. Some folks online being offended ain't stopping an entire genre of comedy/art/humor, period.

I feel cancelling a major character like Apu is extreme. Why not just evolve the character? Have an actual Indian or Indian-American voice him? And also i feel no one is actually focusing on the positive aspects that Apu has to offer. He was still a business owner who was married with children and other characters often came to him for advice because he was level headed

BcgI.gif

OP mentions the response but the message needs to be reiterated again. 29 years later and Groening and Co. can still force Americans to look in the mirror.

Safe to say in this PC *** climate I’ll never get a proper Jonny Quest reboot :smh:

You see both sides now, but please remember you hop in there definitely taking one side.

Here is the thing. I will leave it here because while Hari makes a lot of points about Apu, this is probably the one you could vibe with.

Apu was the only major representation of brown people on TV. Putting the Simpsons aside, if there were a ton of other Indian or Middle Eastern characters on TV, Apu's negative power would mostly vanish. Like there are bad stereotypes of all kinds of people on the Simpsons, but in media in general there examples of positive images regarding those groups. Indian American just had Apu for a while, so what is wrong is exploring the impacts of that.

And for real dude. These "both sides" stuff you always try be on really be fueling your bad hot takes. Remember when you wanted to give Trump a chance or saw no problem in Ninja's post on black people.

Im starting to think you like my hot takes more than you want to admit.

And you really need to stop stretching my words to fit a narrative.

Trump was at the very least entertaining during primaries before **** got really real.
And don’t confuse seeing Ninjas argument on some issues as agreeing with him on all topics. So I really don’t know what the **** you talking bout with that nonsense.

I feel cancelling a major character like Apu is extreme. Why not just evolve the character? Have an actual Indian or Indian-American voice him? And also i feel no one is actually focusing on the positive aspects that Apu has to offer. He was still a business owner who was married with children and other characters often came to him for advice because he was level headed

This what I thought for a minute.

Shiiiieeettttt where I’m from, a responsible business owner that took care of his family was a step up from the what I was exposed to growing up.

But homie is offended at the stereotypes so here we are.

Apparently seeing both sides of this is not enough tho.

OP mentions the response but the message needs to be reiterated again. 29 years later and Groening and Co. can still force Americans to look in the mirror.

Safe to say in this PC *** climate I’ll never get a proper Jonny Quest reboot :smh:

See Archer and/or Venture bros.

This what I thought for a minute.

Shiiiieeettttt where I’m from, a responsible business owner that took care of his family was a step up from the what I was exposed to growing up.

But homie is offended at the stereotypes so here we are.

Apparently seeing both sides of this is not enough tho.
You're still missing the point that dude that had an issue was not asking for Apu to be axed from the show.

He was asking for acknowledgement and improvement upon the coward.

Simpson's creators decided to be in denial and then cowards.
folks dont gotta wonder why political correctness is hugely unpopular.
Not at all.

Pretending you're a victim and acting like what's going on is something new and you're so apalled by ppl finding things offensive is in an entirely different ***** made lane

See Archer and/or Venture bros.

Watch both. Great homages and tongue in cheek references if not overt ( Action Johnny :lol: ) but I need that real

E3724830-3347-4FFB-9B16-BA483619FD92.jpeg

Talk about a show ahead of it’s time. And the Real Adventures from 94-95 :wow: nuts. Still daydream about Questworld

Catch me in a black turtleneck and some all white ups all fall :nthat:

Cleveland Indian's Chief wahoo turning into a throwback logo by da same PC mob.
Indigenous ppl always found it offensive. You just ignored it. Younger ppl who aren't in that group are simply playing catch up.

I agree tho.

Allowing the character to evolve somehow would’ve done more for the cause than killing him off.

I said a while ago I think the creators ****** up going this route.
I got that point.

da vast majority sees both as innocuous sports teams/logos.
Why would the vast majority care about something that is offensive to native Americans? If native Americans find it offensive just get rid of it and make a new logo and rename the skins of red too.

A team being called the Cleveland Indians and the Washington skins of red in 2018 is absolutely crazy but I digress.

I agree tho.

Allowing the character to evolve somehow would’ve done more for the cause than killing him off.

I said a while ago I think the creators ****ed up going this route.
I got that point.
Like i said, i think they did that to say 'screw you, you don't like your representation, we'll cancel him.' as a way to not accommodate to them. I'm guessing they feel like apu being a tech billionaire didn't fall into the script. I understand both views.

Back
Top Bottom