In your opinion what nation has the best "culture," and why?

Originally Posted by TiZzlexiPhone

Originally Posted by FOG

There are no cultures 'better' than the other though; they are merely 'different'.

says you
eyes.gif
No, I'm sure there are many people who believe in this as well. It's just that there are too many people who are blinded by ethnocentrism... Y'all gotta look at it from another's point of view.

But that's not to say that we can't 'prefer' certain cultural norms of a particular society over the other, though..

Carry on.

Originally Posted by TiZzlexiPhone

Originally Posted by FOG

There are no cultures 'better' than the other though; they are merely 'different'.

says you
eyes.gif
No, I'm sure there are many people who believe in this as well. It's just that there are too many people who are blinded by ethnocentrism... Y'all gotta look at it from another's point of view.

But that's not to say that we can't 'prefer' certain cultural norms of a particular society over the other, though..

Carry on.

Ireland - a pint and a fight and they hate the British.

Italy is an amazing place too.

Ireland - a pint and a fight and they hate the British.

Italy is an amazing place too.

Originally Posted by Classy Freshman

Advertising... consumerism... Facebook... Twitter... Lil Wayne... Reality TV... celebrity gossip... "i" THIS and ANDROID that... etc. etc. etc., is all I see and all I hear every day all day. Even if I try to, living in America you cannot escape it. I am tired of the American "culture." 
In your opinion what countries have a culture that is more conducive to "easy living," for lack of a better term? 

All insight is appreciated. Thanks. 
You do realize that everything you mentioned about American culture, that you dislike, at prevalent amongst the industrialized world and they are part of the experience of the hundreds of millions of new middle class people in the emerging market (China, India, SE Asia, parts of Latin America ect.).

The Japanese who is a mediating, stoic, neo Samurai; the care free samba dancing Brazilian or the Italian, living his Vita Dolce, are mostly a product of American imagination. People, especially young people, the world over love pop culture, mass media, rap music, "consumerism" (who does not like to be able to buy nice things, aside from extremely principled ascetics), tabloids (Tabloids are much more British than American) and electronic gadgets.

With that said, I do like the food, wine, architecture, beaches and women in Italy.

Advertising... consumerism... Facebook... Twitter... Lil Wayne... Reality TV... celebrity gossip... "i" THIS and ANDROID that... etc. etc. etc., is all I see and all I hear every day all day. Even if I try to, living in America you cannot escape it. I am tired of the American "culture." 
In your opinion what countries have a culture that is more conducive to "easy living," for lack of a better term? 

You do realize that everything you mentioned about American culture, that you dislike, at prevalent amongst the industrialized world and they are part of the experience of the hundreds of millions of new middle class people in the emerging market (China, India, SE Asia, parts of Latin America ect.).

The Japanese who is a mediating, stoic, neo Samurai; the care free samba dancing Brazilian or the Italian, living his Vita Dolce, are mostly a product of American imagination. People, especially young people, the world over love pop culture, mass media, rap music, "consumerism" (who does not like to be able to buy nice things, aside from extremely principled ascetics), tabloids (Tabloids are much more British than American) and electronic gadgets.

With that said, I do like the food, wine, architecture, beaches and women in Italy.

Japan = very respectful and crazy technology

Don't like America's cultures too much. T.V is ridiculous with shows such as Jersey Shore, most kids I've seen are very disrespectful to their parents, and people(of course not all) fight over stupid things. Stupid things such as two people who fight over bumping shoulders or just staring

Japan = very respectful and crazy technology

Don't like America's cultures too much. T.V is ridiculous with shows such as Jersey Shore, most kids I've seen are very disrespectful to their parents, and people(of course not all) fight over stupid things. Stupid things such as two people who fight over bumping shoulders or just staring

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

I understand that all of those things may be prevalent in other countries, I just wanted to know what countries had a reasonable balance between those things and a laid back way of living. None of those things I mentioned are horrible in moderation, but it seems like pop culture evolved from being only a part of the American culture to becoming the entire American culture. Even when I try to "unplug" from that world, I can't escape it. 

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

I understand that all of those things may be prevalent in other countries, I just wanted to know what countries had a reasonable balance between those things and a laid back way of living. None of those things I mentioned are horrible in moderation, but it seems like pop culture evolved from being only a part of the American culture to becoming the entire American culture. Even when I try to "unplug" from that world, I can't escape it. 

Originally Posted by 36 OUNCES

GB is cool...although they do dislike Americans for the way we slaughtered the English language.
Sorry but they didn't exactly invent the most poetic language to begin with...

Originally Posted by 36 OUNCES

GB is cool...although they do dislike Americans for the way we slaughtered the English language.
Sorry but they didn't exactly invent the most poetic language to begin with...

Everyone has something to offer but my faves

Nigeria-food, Nollywood, music, history, great people, my motherland, self explanatory
pimp.gif
...a quarter of black people on this planet are Nigerian so I've been told.
Japan-food, technology, overall weirdness
India and china-Food
Jamaica-music, overall essence of the carribean
Britain-British culture has a lot of influence on West African culture, have a lot of family there, great accent, history etc
Germany, Sweden and Norway-technology and women
pimp.gif
, metal
pimp.gif

South Africa
America-one word, diversity
smokin.gif

Everyone has something to offer but my faves

Nigeria-food, Nollywood, music, history, great people, my motherland, self explanatory
pimp.gif
...a quarter of black people on this planet are Nigerian so I've been told.
Japan-food, technology, overall weirdness
India and china-Food
Jamaica-music, overall essence of the carribean
Britain-British culture has a lot of influence on West African culture, have a lot of family there, great accent, history etc
Germany, Sweden and Norway-technology and women
pimp.gif
, metal
pimp.gif

South Africa
America-one word, diversity
smokin.gif

I dont think I've traveled enough and experienced enough varying cultures to make a definite choice.
Need to start traveling 
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom