In your opinion what nation has the best "culture," and why?

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

I'm just talking about the way people act here. I know some British dudes and French and Irish. They all say the same thing. Americans are *$$!@ and its hard to meet real friends here
laugh.gif
. I could def live in France though. Dirt cheap school and a culture with a big appreciation for food
pimp.gif
.Work to live. Don't live to work.
There are a lot of things we take for granted here that aren't available as readily/ easily in others parts of the world. 

Like what and where? Surely, you can't find a bottle of Aquafina in the middle of the Congo..

Put it this way. 
If you're well off, say in the top 10%, of any country then things can be great anywhere. Especially in this hyper globalized world where everything is easily accessible. 

However, if you're in that bottom 90% then the US is the best place to be. There are plenty of things currently wrong in this country but I'm not going to front like there are better places if you aren't in that top class. 

It can be something as small as not being able to get a $1 coke in Europe (that !!@@ will cost you 3 times as much) to something as big as the everyday low level/ high level corruption that permeates Greek society. 

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

I'm just talking about the way people act here. I know some British dudes and French and Irish. They all say the same thing. Americans are *$$!@ and its hard to meet real friends here
laugh.gif
. I could def live in France though. Dirt cheap school and a culture with a big appreciation for food
pimp.gif
.Work to live. Don't live to work.
There are a lot of things we take for granted here that aren't available as readily/ easily in others parts of the world. 

Like what and where? Surely, you can't find a bottle of Aquafina in the middle of the Congo..

Put it this way. 
If you're well off, say in the top 10%, of any country then things can be great anywhere. Especially in this hyper globalized world where everything is easily accessible. 

However, if you're in that bottom 90% then the US is the best place to be. There are plenty of things currently wrong in this country but I'm not going to front like there are better places if you aren't in that top class. 

It can be something as small as not being able to get a $1 coke in Europe (that !!@@ will cost you 3 times as much) to something as big as the everyday low level/ high level corruption that permeates Greek society. 

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Originally Posted by whiterails

Originally Posted by do work son

exactly. you might enjoy some cultures more than others, but how can you flat out say some cultures are better? cmon now
North Korea?  Nazi Germany?   Soviet Union under Stalin?  Certain Arab/Tribal cultures where the complete oppression of women is rampant?  Etc. Etc. Etc.
You would have to be morally bankrupt to state that those cultures are not worse than others...

I think you're underestimating how broad the term "culture" is.

U can add america under Obama and Bush.....political regimes =/= culture, even those that try to impose themselves on the culture. Maybe to you soviet culture under Stalin is implicit of cold war, oppression etc, to a Russian person it may something be totally different such as an era of social cohesion, egalitarianism, optimism etc. There is no such thing as objective culture imo. I agree with FOG. 
Countries under a certain political regime can be culture though, especially when they are as over-encompassing as certain examples I named..  Culture can be defined as broadly as any learned behaviour, which is why there is such a thing as "Nazi Culture".  You don't think that "American Culture" or "Canadian Culture" is objectively better than "Nazi Culture"?
You don't think that a culture wherein female genitalia are mutilated so as to deny them any kind of sexual pleasure, or where they are strictly forbidden to read or even talk to other men is objectively worse than Japanese Culture?

Regarding Soviet oppression, I'm sure there are people who were content living under it, but that doesn't mean it isn't objectively worse than other culture.  People in the Southern United States in the early 1800s were living in a culture where slavery was not only acceptable, but the norm.   I'm sure many of them didn't have a problem with it, but that doesn't mean that a culture of slavery isn't objectively worse than say modern European culture.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Originally Posted by whiterails

Originally Posted by do work son

exactly. you might enjoy some cultures more than others, but how can you flat out say some cultures are better? cmon now
North Korea?  Nazi Germany?   Soviet Union under Stalin?  Certain Arab/Tribal cultures where the complete oppression of women is rampant?  Etc. Etc. Etc.
You would have to be morally bankrupt to state that those cultures are not worse than others...

I think you're underestimating how broad the term "culture" is.

U can add america under Obama and Bush.....political regimes =/= culture, even those that try to impose themselves on the culture. Maybe to you soviet culture under Stalin is implicit of cold war, oppression etc, to a Russian person it may something be totally different such as an era of social cohesion, egalitarianism, optimism etc. There is no such thing as objective culture imo. I agree with FOG. 
Countries under a certain political regime can be culture though, especially when they are as over-encompassing as certain examples I named..  Culture can be defined as broadly as any learned behaviour, which is why there is such a thing as "Nazi Culture".  You don't think that "American Culture" or "Canadian Culture" is objectively better than "Nazi Culture"?
You don't think that a culture wherein female genitalia are mutilated so as to deny them any kind of sexual pleasure, or where they are strictly forbidden to read or even talk to other men is objectively worse than Japanese Culture?

Regarding Soviet oppression, I'm sure there are people who were content living under it, but that doesn't mean it isn't objectively worse than other culture.  People in the Southern United States in the early 1800s were living in a culture where slavery was not only acceptable, but the norm.   I'm sure many of them didn't have a problem with it, but that doesn't mean that a culture of slavery isn't objectively worse than say modern European culture.

I'm guessing that a majority of people saying America have never left the country.
laugh.gif
(No offense)

As a European I can definitely appreciate living here. Whilst I like Spain, there seems to be so many English people there that it kind of loses its charm. France is good.. but i'd say Italy.

I'm guessing that a majority of people saying America have never left the country.
laugh.gif
(No offense)

As a European I can definitely appreciate living here. Whilst I like Spain, there seems to be so many English people there that it kind of loses its charm. France is good.. but i'd say Italy.

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Ghana- Food, Clothing, Chieftancy, Tourism, Football (Soccer Team), Music, Tribes, Languages, Strong Christian faith
pimp.gif

Aside from the whole christian thing i love my Ghanaian aka my Quashies
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Ghana- Food, Clothing, Chieftancy, Tourism, Football (Soccer Team), Music, Tribes, Languages, Strong Christian faith
pimp.gif

Aside from the whole christian thing i love my Ghanaian aka my Quashies
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

France...they seem to have a love for freedom and don't take !$*! from their government.

France...they seem to have a love for freedom and don't take !$*! from their government.

Originally Posted by bboy1827

I've noticed this as well. I have much more research to do but im intrigued by France.

Originally Posted by bboy1827

I've noticed this as well. I have much more research to do but im intrigued by France.

Back
Top Bottom