How Serious Is The Crime In Chicago

I plan on moving to Chicago for a year. Now I'm originally from Jamaica, Queens so I don't mind living in the hood but at the same time I need to be close the Loop (not sure what that areas called) because I'll be there for business. Anyone know a good area that's in between? I don't want to drop Manhattan rent if I'm going to be working all the time and not enjoying the place.

I plan on moving to Chicago for a year. Now I'm originally from Jamaica, Queens so I don't mind living in the hood but at the same time I need to be close the Loop (not sure what that areas called) because I'll be there for business. Anyone know a good area that's in between? I don't want to drop Manhattan rent if I'm going to be working all the time and not enjoying the place.

Sometimes people get mistaken. Every city has crimes, but at times the Southside just gets worst. Northside is regular, as well as surrounding areas.

Chicago is a huge city, everywhere you turn isn't drug-infested and murderous.

If you're a visitor, chances are nothing will happen to you ... every city has towns where you just don't venture into.

3 people got killed within a couple blocks from me this week ... a guy shot at a cop & they killed him.

Another guy, hit & run, then got killed.

A guy that went to HS with me got shot & killed going to the pool, another 13-year-old shot up.

Andddd, my Dad almost got killed the other night from the shooting in Ada Park. They just started firing in the crowd.

Sometimes people get mistaken. Every city has crimes, but at times the Southside just gets worst. Northside is regular, as well as surrounding areas.

Chicago is a huge city, everywhere you turn isn't drug-infested and murderous.

If you're a visitor, chances are nothing will happen to you ... every city has towns where you just don't venture into.

3 people got killed within a couple blocks from me this week ... a guy shot at a cop & they killed him.

Another guy, hit & run, then got killed.

A guy that went to HS with me got shot & killed going to the pool, another 13-year-old shot up.

Andddd, my Dad almost got killed the other night from the shooting in Ada Park. They just started firing in the crowd.

Originally Posted by Meangene4

Originally Posted by Mr DragonFly Jones

Originally Posted by hod

[h1]never been but[/h1][h1]25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods- 4 are in chicago[/h1]
http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/most-dangerous-neighborhoods
at least yall dont got to report crimes on the internet
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
@ Cincinnati

OHIO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chicago.
so obviously your proud cuz Ohio takes the number 1 spot in crimes per. Shows how Ohio is a wasteland

Originally Posted by Meangene4

Originally Posted by Mr DragonFly Jones

Originally Posted by hod

[h1]never been but[/h1][h1]25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods- 4 are in chicago[/h1]
http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/most-dangerous-neighborhoods
at least yall dont got to report crimes on the internet
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
@ Cincinnati

OHIO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chicago.
so obviously your proud cuz Ohio takes the number 1 spot in crimes per. Shows how Ohio is a wasteland

The city with the strictest Gun Laws (pretty much a ban) in the country has the highest crime rate with guns, what a surprise. Don't these people know gun laws and controls benefit the bad guys?

The city with the strictest Gun Laws (pretty much a ban) in the country has the highest crime rate with guns, what a surprise. Don't these people know gun laws and controls benefit the bad guys?

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

Originally Posted by 23soles

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

I was just in Chicago with my cousins last month... i thought it was nice 
ohwell.gif
   Walked around the city in the evening too.  Shedd Aquarium, Navy Pier, Soldier Field, and that park with the giant chrome jellybean, etc..
Yeah, that area is super nice! Unfortunately that's a false representation of most of Chicago. Where you were is right in the heart of downtown, the main tourist attraction area.
To actually live in that area costs a fortune so most people that live there are very well off. Therefore crime is SUPER low; almost nonexistent. 

Like some of the previous posters from Chicago have said, take a trip to the west side, or the south side... Then tell us how nice it is. 

I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago. I came up with nothing but gangs/crime all around me... I grew up not being able to get certain clothes/shoes because of their colors, taking my hat off or straightening it according to what block I'm on, running from shots and all that...I've seen robberies, shootings, beatings, etc. so much that I'm almost

completely desensitized. Everyday on the local news it's nothing but death and what's extra messed up is, most of it is done by teens/young people. It seems as if young adults have

absolutely no value for life, no worries of going to prison, and actually take pride in it. 

Just the other weekend 9 people got shot on 79th and western in broad daylight. More recently a kid got shot 22 times in front of his house, 22 times... by ONE gunman over nothing. 

Hell, I've had my house broken into 5 times in the last year, my garage 2 times,  3 cars vandalized, 2 bullets fly through my window (living room/bedroom) and I've witnessed 3 robberies on my block.

Luckily, I've never gotten caught up in any crime/gangs and have never done any drugs or anything... All through high school and college I've never even been in a fistfight but I'll tell you first hand that living a straight edge life (and not being a complete loner) is hard work.  

I could go on forever, but what I'm trying to get across is that the crime here is VERY SERIOUS and it seriously needs to stop. There's nothing cool about it. 

I love Chicago. The nice areas are super nice and unlike any other city but the bad areas are BAD and getting worse 
ohwell.gif

This is the most accurate statement in the entire thread....

Damn
smh.gif

ohwell.gif
   Walked around the city in the evening too.  Shedd Aquarium, Navy Pier, Soldier Field, and that park with the giant chrome jellybean, etc..
Yeah, that area is super nice! Unfortunately that's a false representation of most of Chicago. Where you were is right in the heart of downtown, the main tourist attraction area.
To actually live in that area costs a fortune so most people that live there are very well off. Therefore crime is SUPER low; almost nonexistent. 

Like some of the previous posters from Chicago have said, take a trip to the west side, or the south side... Then tell us how nice it is. 

I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago. I came up with nothing but gangs/crime all around me... I grew up not being able to get certain clothes/shoes because of their colors, taking my hat off or straightening it according to what block I'm on, running from shots and all that...I've seen robberies, shootings, beatings, etc. so much that I'm almost

completely desensitized. Everyday on the local news it's nothing but death and what's extra messed up is, most of it is done by teens/young people. It seems as if young adults have

absolutely no value for life, no worries of going to prison, and actually take pride in it. 

Just the other weekend 9 people got shot on 79th and western in broad daylight. More recently a kid got shot 22 times in front of his house, 22 times... by ONE gunman over nothing. 

Hell, I've had my house broken into 5 times in the last year, my garage 2 times,  3 cars vandalized, 2 bullets fly through my window (living room/bedroom) and I've witnessed 3 robberies on my block.

Luckily, I've never gotten caught up in any crime/gangs and have never done any drugs or anything... All through high school and college I've never even been in a fistfight but I'll tell you first hand that living a straight edge life (and not being a complete loner) is hard work.  

I could go on forever, but what I'm trying to get across is that the crime here is VERY SERIOUS and it seriously needs to stop. There's nothing cool about it. 

I love Chicago. The nice areas are super nice and unlike any other city but the bad areas are BAD and getting worse 
ohwell.gif

Damn
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Cicero Avenue Dopeman

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

its ingrained in us, Chicago has a history of crime and violence dating back to the days of Capone
pimp.gif
smh.gif
How is that something to be proud of?
Cuz it made me the way I am today. I wouldnt be in my current state of mind if I had been raised elsewhere like LA or NY. I know its f'd up but what can I do? 

Originally Posted by red mpls

Honestly, as reckless as it is in Chicago, it is just as bad (or worse) in other cities, it's just that Chicago is so much larger and prominent than the others that it gives it a higher profile.

For example, St. Louis is, pound-for-pound, a much more violent city than Chicago.  There is no proverbial "Northside" in St. Louis like there is in the Chi that serves as an escape from the madness of the rest of the city.  In St. Louis the Northside is dangerous, the Westside is extremely dangerous, the Southside is mostly very dangerous (although this is the part of the city with a couple very nice areas), and the Eastside is... well... East St. Louis (enough said).

So to all the people from D.C., Detroit, Flint, etc. I wouldn't be so quick to put Chicago in a separate, more dangerous category, because it really shouldn't be categorized like that.

qft w/ cicero & my man right here

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

its ingrained in us, Chicago has a history of crime and violence dating back to the days of Capone
pimp.gif
smh.gif
How is that something to be proud of?
Cuz it made me the way I am today. I wouldnt be in my current state of mind if I had been raised elsewhere like LA or NY. I know its f'd up but what can I do? 

Originally Posted by red mpls

Honestly, as reckless as it is in Chicago, it is just as bad (or worse) in other cities, it's just that Chicago is so much larger and prominent than the others that it gives it a higher profile.

For example, St. Louis is, pound-for-pound, a much more violent city than Chicago.  There is no proverbial "Northside" in St. Louis like there is in the Chi that serves as an escape from the madness of the rest of the city.  In St. Louis the Northside is dangerous, the Westside is extremely dangerous, the Southside is mostly very dangerous (although this is the part of the city with a couple very nice areas), and the Eastside is... well... East St. Louis (enough said).

So to all the people from D.C., Detroit, Flint, etc. I wouldn't be so quick to put Chicago in a separate, more dangerous category, because it really shouldn't be categorized like that.

qft w/ cicero & my man right here

Originally Posted by windycity7

Originally Posted by bittersweet

^I'm almost sure that the gun law is being changed here ... 

yeah we can have pistols now as long as you have a permit
but we have to keep the guns in the house....right....

i stay on the northside so it's not too bad up here but every time i watch the news it's "2 kids get killed", "another officer killed" "8 people shot within an hour", etc

Originally Posted by windycity7

Originally Posted by bittersweet

^I'm almost sure that the gun law is being changed here ... 

yeah we can have pistols now as long as you have a permit
but we have to keep the guns in the house....right....

i stay on the northside so it's not too bad up here but every time i watch the news it's "2 kids get killed", "another officer killed" "8 people shot within an hour", etc

ive lived here all my life and i dont think its that bad. and i dont live in a nice neighborhood atleast imo i dont

ive lived here all my life and i dont think its that bad. and i dont live in a nice neighborhood atleast imo i dont

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

ohwell.gif

ohwell.gif

Damn
smh.gif

Not true, and this is not the most accurate statement in the entire thread. That's just like saying the hoods of Chicago are a false representation. No. They both come together to make up what Chicago is.

Chicago%20Neighborhood%20Map.gif

Just maybe 30% of Chicago is what you're describing. If you're going to be accurate, be accurate.

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

ohwell.gif

ohwell.gif

Damn
smh.gif

Not true, and this is not the most accurate statement in the entire thread. That's just like saying the hoods of Chicago are a false representation. No. They both come together to make up what Chicago is.

Chicago%20Neighborhood%20Map.gif

Just maybe 30% of Chicago is what you're describing. If you're going to be accurate, be accurate.

Man, it's not the Chicago.  It's the knuckleheads that live in Chicago.  How do you shoot at a cop all regular like it's going to the mailbox? 
smh.gif

Put white people or decent minorities in those slum areas, and watch it turn around for the better.  It's similar to Harlem, where they pretty much forced the majortity of dope dealers in to early retirement when gentrification came about, and when that happenend, the white people came and now it's better.

Back
Top Bottom